• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Hitachi Promotes New Enterprise SATA Hard Drive

malware

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 VID: 1.2125
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P rev.2.0
Cooling Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme + Noctua NF-S12 Fan
Memory 4x1 GB PQI DDR2 PC2-6400
Video Card(s) Colorful iGame Radeon HD 4890 1 GB GDDR5
Storage 2x 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 32 MB RAID0
Display(s) BenQ G2400W 24-inch WideScreen LCD
Case Cooler Master COSMOS RC-1000 (sold), Cooler Master HAF-932 (delivered)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic + Logitech Z-5500 Digital THX
Power Supply Chieftec CFT-1000G-DF 1kW
Software Laptop: Lenovo 3000 N200 C2DT2310/3GB/120GB/GF7300/15.4"/Razer
Recognizing the importance and growing market opportunity of the nearline enterprise storage segment, Hitachi Global Storage Technologies has bolstered its field-tested and award-winning 3.5-inch Deskstar 7K500 Serial-ATA (SATA) hard disk drive to achieve an enterprise-class rating. Uniquely designed to provide enterprise-class reliability, the Deskstar 7K500, now E7K500 SATA 500 GB hard disk drive delivers one million hours Mean Time Between Failure (MTBF) and the industry's most comprehensive five-year warranty.

With this offering, Hitachi allows enterprise customers to take advantage of the Deskstar E7K500's high reliability, high capacity and low cost per gigabyte for tiered storage, RAID configurations and disk-to-disk backup. The proven combination of Hitachi's leading Ultrastar enterprise-class server products and the Deskstar E7K500 nearline storage solution provides customers with a complete enterprise serial portfolio that spans high-capacity and mission-critical, ultra high-performance applications.

"Enterprise storage vendors require certain levels of drive capacities, performance and reliability in their storage solutions," said Dave Reinsel, program director, storage research at IDC. "SATA drives possessing a 1.0M hour MTBF, like Hitachi's Deskstar E7K500 SATA drive, will play an increasingly important role in data centers that require 24 x 7 availability for disk-to-disk backup, email/video archiving and other nearline storage applications."

IDC predicts a 2005-2010 CAGR of 38 percent in the use of high-capacity, low-cost drives in enterprise applications.

"The Deskstar E7K500 delivers field-proven reliability and performance for a range of nearline enterprise applications that require the right mix of functionality at a low cost per gigabyte," said Jose Antelo, vice president and general manager, business management, Hitachi Global Storage Technologies. "We have implemented a five-year warranty with the enterprise customer in mind, providing them with the reliability safeguards they've come to expect with enterprise-class hard disk drives."

Deskstar Enterprise-ready Features

The Deskstar E7K500 hard drive is optimized for use in enterprise environments with capabilities such as Rotational Vibration Safeguard (RVS), which maintains the hard drive's performance in high rotational vibration environments where multiple drives reside in a single enclosure. The drive has the ability to stagger or delay spin-up, enabling the host to individually spin up drives in multi-drive configurations. This reduces the power draw of a booting system and allows system designers to reduce the size of the power supply and minimize the total cost of ownership for end users. To maintain drive reliability, the Deskstar E7K500 has an optional low-power mode to reduce system heat / cooling requirements, as well as a load / unload ramp mechanism to protect user data when power is removed.

The Deskstar E7K500 utilizes Hitachi's iridium-manganese-chromium (IrMnCr) read-head sensor, which provides a 2x improvement in sensitivity and precision of the data-reading process. This translates to greater hard-drive reliability due to its improved ability to read data even under mechanical and environmental stress factors, including extreme temperature variances, humidity and shock.

The E7K500 was the first drive to support SATA 3.0 Gb/s transfer rates in addition to the 500 GB capacity point. This drive also features Native Command Queuing (NCQ), a method of controlling and optimizing commands sent from the host processor to the drive to enable faster application activities. The Deskstar E7K500 supports a large 16 MB cache to further improve performance over desktop-class products.

The Deskstar E7K500 carries the industry's most comprehensive 5-year warranty with product replacement values throughout the life of the warranty that exceed those available from other hard drive suppliers. The warranty includes repair, replacement or credit options.

Hitachi's Deskstar E7K500 drives meet the Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS) compliance directive issued by the European Union (EU). The EU directive requires electronics manufacturers to significantly reduce lead and other selected content from their products by August 2006.

The Deskstar E7K500 is shipping now.

For additional information, please visit Hitachi's Web site at http://www.hitachigst.com.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Last edited:

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
1 million hours? That's about 114 years if I've worked it out right? How can they prove that that's the mean? Impressive though.

oldschool

MTBF is a hypothetical number meaning virtually nothing in the real world. It's all advertising hype. You can totally ignore the MTBF number and look at actual results for a true reference point. If there is a significant reliability issue with a drive like some past Deskstar and Raptor drives, they show up pretty quickly usually in months or the first year. In my experience SATA drives have not reached the reliability required for enterprise use. I suspect after past problems with SATA drive the PR hype is to persuade consumers otherwise.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
MTBF means nothing. I wouldn't use a Hitachi drive if they paid me to. And their warranties/customer service is crap.

Jimmy 2004

System Name Jimmy 2004's PC
Processor S754 AMD Athlon64 3200+ @ 2640MHz
Motherboard ASUS K8N
Cooling AC Freezer 64 Pro + Zalman VF1000 + 5x120mm Antec TriCool Case Fans
Memory 1GB Kingston PC3200 (2x512MB)
Video Card(s) Saphire 256MB X800 GTO @ 450MHz/560MHz (Core/Memory)
Storage 500GB Western Digital SATA II + 80GB Maxtor DiamondMax SATA
Display(s) Digimate 17" TFT (1280x1024)
Case Antec P182
Audio Device(s) Audigy 4 + Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speakers
Power Supply Corsair HX520W
Software Windows XP Home
MTBF is a hypothetical number meaning virtually nothing in the real world. It's all advertising hype. You can totally ignore the MTBF number and look at actual results for a true reference point. If there is a significant reliability issue with a drive like some past Deskstar and Raptor drives, they show up pretty quickly usually in months or the first year. In my experience SATA drives have not reached the reliability required for enterprise use. I suspect after past problems with SATA drive the PR hype is to persuade consumers otherwise.

I haven't heard that SATA drives are any worse for reliability - the essential mechanics of them are the same as standard IDE drives that that is what normally causes the issue. What makes them different is the method by which they transfer the data.