• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

need some help here with thermal paste

BababooeyHTJ

Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z77 UD5h
Cooling XSPC Raystrom
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) 7950 crossfire
Storage a few
Display(s) 27" Catleap
Case Xigmatek Elysium
Audio Device(s) Xonar STX
Power Supply Seasonic X1050
Software Windows 7 X64
I cannot even find a site that sells thermal tape in the USA ( unless it's in a 30 foot roll) and to be honest, sometimes the tape I have used doesn't conduct heat very well. The Arctic cooler 280 gtx extreme cooler thread is trying to deal with thick thermal tape causing VRMS to overheat because of bad heat transfer to the heatsink. However, that doesn't mean there isn't better performing thermal tape / pads out there. I just haven't had a good experience with it. I like the direct contact of thermal adhesive but don't like that it's permanent. I have heard of people using a drop of thermal adhesive and they using the cold and a slight twist to remove heat sinks etc. That process seems to scare me a bit.

scratch that found some http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3776/thr-18/Thermal_Tape_-_1_Inch_Square_148_0012.html?tl=g8

here is some more aswell http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g8/...l_Interface_Materials-Thermal_Tape-Page1.html

I hear this thermal tape is really good. link

Sidewinder Computers is one of my favorite places to buy my cooling products from. Their shipping rates are great.

nflesher87

Staff
after reading the first 6-8 posts I agree with all the replies tom, I was under the impression you only meant ramsinks, as ceramique as a paste does fine to suction and hold them on, however there's no adherence properties to it
as far as actual adherence, as they said 3m thermal tape may be your only option, however it isn't going to hold much weight
TBH your best bet may be a combination of traditional TIM (or thermal tape) and some rigged setup of rubberbands :)

System Name Apple Bite
Processor Intel I5
Motherboard Apple
Memory 40gb of DDR 4 2700
Video Card(s) ATI Radeon 500
Storage Fusion Drive 1 TB
Display(s) 27 Inch IMac late 2017
If that were true then none of the adhesives on heatsinks would allow them to stick but be removed and we know thats not true. They may not be super strong but they do hold the heat sinks on and can be removed later. I wasn't looking to hold a 1 pound CPU heat sink on just some ram heatsinks and good heat transferring thermal tape is hard to find.

after reading the first 6-8 posts I agree with all the replies tom, I was under the impression you only meant ramsinks, as ceramique as a paste does fine to suction and hold them on, however there's no adherence properties to it
as far as actual adherence, as they said 3m thermal tape may be your only option, however it isn't going to hold much weight
TBH your best bet may be a combination of traditional TIM (or thermal tape) and some rigged setup of rubberbands :)

We are only talking ram heat sinks here, I might have confused you with another topic similar to this one I was talking to you about.

Processor Intel 2500k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASrock P67 Pro 3
Cooling CM 212+
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX 970
Storage Crucial M4, Caviar Black
Display(s) SyncMaster 2443BWX
Case Deep Silence 2
Audio Device(s) Onkyo Wavio SE-200PCI LTD
Power Supply Coolermaster V700
Mouse Steel-series Sensei Raw
Keyboard Ducky with Cherry MX Brown

nflesher87

Staff
We are only talking ram heat sinks here, I might have confused you with another topic similar to this one I was talking to you about.

Oh ok, well either way it would be simple to stop by a radioshack and pick up some 3m thermal tape, the ceramique can be a loose hold on certain heatsinks/ram so the thermal tape would be the most secure hold while still being non permanent