• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How does GPU-Z retrieve thermal sensor data ?

MoonDust

Hi,

I'm developping my own CPU/GPU/RAM monitoring app and I was wondering how does the GPU-Z engine to retrieve thermal sensor data ? :confused:

I mean, I know NVIDIA provides functions to retrieve temperatures and that old ATI cards had some chips like LM63 to retrieve thermal information.

Unfortunately I'm working on my ATI Radeon 4850 and it seems to have no more LM63 or simillar chip on the card (I listed all the chips :p).

So I'm ":banghead:". I searched a lot but I didn't found any information about that.

Where can I find the thermal sensor data on recent ATI Radeon cards : ATI SDK, DIRECTX SDK, BIOS, SMBUS, ACPI, something else ??

Hope someone knows ! :)

Phxprovost

Xtreme Refugee
System Name Result of Boredom
Processor AMD FX-6350
Motherboard ASUS M5A97
Cooling Enzo Tech Extreme-X
Memory 16gb ddr3
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Display(s) Asus 24in (1920X1080) X 2 @144hz
Case NZXT S340
Software WIN7 64bit HP
wouldnt this be like going to google and asking them how their search algorithms work? :confused:

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
wouldnt this be like going to google and asking them how their search algorithms work? :confused:

i agree, i can't see w1z telling you how he retrieves data with his app just so you could develop a program that copies his, no offense

MoonDust

You're right, I'm not asking for their source code, I prefer doing it on my own (like I've already done for all the other sensors on the motherboard and also the Intel DTS). But these were "a bit" documented.

It's just that it seems no one knows where's located the GPU sensors on recent graphic cards (no more LM63 ?).

So I would just need some tips from experts. However I could quite understand if they want to keep it secret... ;)

System Name ProtoType D
Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400
Motherboard Asus P5Q-E
Cooling Home made custom air cooling
Memory 4GB 800Mhz
Storage 500GB
Display(s) 2 X 17" Samsung LCD
Case Raidmax Aztec
Power Supply 500W Stainless Steel
Software Windows 7 64bit
Lol. Try PMing them, maybe they will let you know on private chat, these guys are cool people they may help you out.