• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4 Thread

fx rookie

Have you got a well-vented case? Do you have a hot videocard or power supply inside? These are all factors which can contribute to inside temperature rising by 2-3° C each!

That seems to be the problem. Lower temps can be achieved using better cooler for the CPU and some good coolers for the case, generating enough air-flow. At that moment I will not use my CPU with 4 cores or overclock.
10x again!

fochmann

UD4P-unlocking cores on Phenom II X2 550-problems

Hello I know I should probably start a new thread but this seems like the most suitable place to post my problem. I have a Ga-MA790X-UD4P which to my understanding is the same thing as the UD4 just with a few moore little toys added to it. I am currently running bios version F5 and I received my Phenom II X2 550 BE yesterday. I am trying to unlock the 3rd and 4th core and to my knowledge I set ACC to auto and the other thing to hybrid.

My problem is that when I set in the ACC menu the thing to hybrid. I go to save it and get the message the ec firmware is updating and then it turns the computer off. 10 seconds later it turns back on for 10 seconds or so and post nothing and then turns back off.

Does anyone know what is going on I am confused. If I use the F4 bios version there is not an option to set it to hybrid.

Does someone have a different bios that this will work with?

Thanks

woppy101

hello im new
im after a little bit of help with this board, i had a Pll 940 which was running great then i got a great offer on a 955 which i took.i updated the bios to f3 which supported the 955 and now my pcie width has changed to 8x i cant find anywhere to change it back. it was deffo running @16x before the bios update so that tells me its not a softwhere glitch plus my vantage marks tell me its not running propley

940@3.7 gtx275 750/1250 P15737
955@3.8/3.9 gtx 750/1250 P15300

musicman53

Hello I know I should probably start a new thread but this seems like the most suitable place to post my problem. I have a Ga-MA790X-UD4P which to my understanding is the same thing as the UD4 just with a few moore little toys added to it. I am currently running bios version F5 and I received my Phenom II X2 550 BE yesterday. I am trying to unlock the 3rd and 4th core and to my knowledge I set ACC to auto and the other thing to hybrid.

My problem is that when I set in the ACC menu the thing to hybrid. I go to save it and get the message the ec firmware is updating and then it turns the computer off. 10 seconds later it turns back on for 10 seconds or so and post nothing and then turns back off.

Does anyone know what is going on I am confused. If I use the F4 bios version there is not an option to set it to hybrid.

Thanks
I had F4 already when I got got my MA790X-UD4P and ACC was there.
Hybrid does not make any difference........
Get F5 and then hybrid will be there for you.

fochmann

So if I have F4, what do I set ACC to unlock the 2 other cores? Do I set it to auto or all cores or per core? If that doesnt work I have a defective chip and cant unlock the other 2 cores, right?

musicman53

So if I have F4, what do I set ACC to unlock the 2 other cores? Do I set it to auto or all cores or per core? If that doesnt work I have a defective chip and cant unlock the other 2 cores, right?

ACC was never intended for unlocking cores that are on a cpu sold say as two core or three core.
ACC is for overclocking.
I could in theory unlock the two other cores in an X2 7750 BE with or without the hybrid bios.
Not all cpu's will let you unlock the other cores.

ItalianJob

Processor Phenom II X3 720BE 0409 @X4@1.30v
Motherboard GA-MA790X-UD4 (Bios F3)
Cooling Zalman CNPS7700Cu AM2-MOD :)
Memory 2x2GB OCZ Gold DDR-2 1066@2.2V
Video Card(s) Sapphire radeon HD4870 512MB Sapphire design
Storage 80GB Maxtor SATA, 40GB "old faithful" IBM Deskstar ATA-100
Display(s) ASUS VW222U
Case Cooler Master Centurion 532
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620W
Software Win XP
I concur. ACC auto option lets you unlock the disables core(s) only in unlockable CPUs.
Then, if the core is unlockable, hybrid option of ACC (EC firmware) gives more stability to the whole system (and, with MA790X-UD4, a native overvolt) and lets running the unlocked CPU 24/7.

ACC was never intended for unlocking cores that are on a cpu sold say as two core or three core.
ACC is for overclocking.
I could in theory unlock the two other cores in an X2 7750 BE with or without the hybrid bios.
Not all cpu's will let you unlock the other cores.

ACook

Will this board run out of the box with a Phenom II X2 550 AM3 ?

In the supprted cpu list it's not mentioned.

I do have a 4850e in another pc should I need to flash it, but that's a smooth running well burned in system, hate to break it open.

or should I be looking for a diff cpu altogether?
it's going in a budget gaming machine, not with a big monitor. mostly rts and other sim-like games, the guy has a wii and another console for his fps i think, but perhaps he wants to play those too.

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4
AMD Phenom II X2 550 (AM3)
Kingston HyperX KHX8500D2K2/4G
Gigabyte GV-R477D5-512H-B HD4770 PCI-E

should that work?

musicman53

I concur. ACC auto option lets you unlock the disables core(s) only in unlockable CPUs.
Then, if the core is unlockable, hybrid option of ACC (EC firmware) gives more stability to the whole system (and, with MA790X-UD4, a native overvolt) and lets running the unlocked CPU 24/7.

THIS is the reply from Gigabyte......................
"ACC is to allow Phenom Black edition CPU for more and higher overclocking.
Negative values unlock lower power operations while higher values unlock better overclocking."
Again that proves ACC was NOT intended for unlocking cores at all BUT just as it says!UNLOCK either lower power ops OR unlock higher OVERCLOCKING.
Also unless the cpu is a PHENOM then it aint gonna do anything.

Just curious, but i enabled ACC & The hybrid thing--i now have 4 cores. However, I can get into safe mode fine, but as soon as it gets to log on screen it restarts. Vista 64bit.
Any ideas?:confused:

ItalianJob

Display(s) ASUS VW222U
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win XP
Just curious, but i enabled ACC & The hybrid thing--i now have 4 cores. However, I can get into safe mode fine, but as soon as it gets to log on screen it restarts. Vista 64bit.
Any ideas?:confused:

Well, welcome in the "unlocked cores" group! Let's get this guy stable...

First of all, which processor did you unlock with this procedure (720, 550)?
Do you have the bios updated to the final version (F3)?
Did you experience high temperature issues with the locked processor (the unlocking should worsen these parameters as the heat generated by CPU increases)?

Then, there are almost two ways to get the system a little bit more stable with the unlocked cores:

first of all, you can try a little overvolting of the core. If you have bios F3, it naturally overvolts to 1.39V the stock core.
Then, you can try adjusting the ACC "per core" values, above all if you know the numbers of the unlocked cores, you can act on them only. I suggest modifying the values at subsequent steps, in order to achieve a safe booting.

Let us know more about.

ItalianJob

Display(s) ASUS VW222U
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win XP
Will this board run out of the box with a Phenom II X2 550 AM3 ?

In the supprted cpu list it's not mentioned.

I do have a 4850e in another pc should I need to flash it, but that's a smooth running well burned in system, hate to break it open.

or should I be looking for a diff cpu altogether?
it's going in a budget gaming machine, not with a big monitor. mostly rts and other sim-like games, the guy has a wii and another console for his fps i think, but perhaps he wants to play those too.

Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4
AMD Phenom II X2 550 (AM3)
Kingston HyperX KHX8500D2K2/4G
Gigabyte GV-R477D5-512H-B HD4770 PCI-E

should that work?

Well, different forums report that the UD4P mainboard support and unlocks the 550 X2. Since the two mainboards differ only in the CPU power section (4+1 in UD4 and 8+2 in UD4P) i think you should have no compatibility issues on a logic basis. Maybe that Gigabyte did not release yet a proper bios for supporting 550 CPUs, and then your system should fail in properly detect the CPU (or, but I don't think, fail to boot).

I think that to solve the problems at the root you should do two things:

If you want the UD4, write simply to the gigabyte support asking about the compatibility of 550.
If you can, switch to UD4P (a few bucks more) and get F5a bios, so that maybe your X2 will also become (but, as we always said, this is absolutely not ensured) an X4:D

ItalianJob

plomky

Thanks

I thought I'm the only one. Unfortunately i wasn't able to solve this problem.

Well, welcome in the "unlocked cores" group! Let's get this guy stable...

First of all, which processor did you unlock with this procedure (720, 550)?
Do you have the bios updated to the final version (F3)?
Did you experience high temperature issues with the locked processor (the unlocking should worsen these parameters as the heat generated by CPU increases)?

Then, there are almost two ways to get the system a little bit more stable with the unlocked cores:

first of all, you can try a little overvolting of the core. If you have bios F3, it naturally overvolts to 1.39V the stock core.
Then, you can try adjusting the ACC "per core" values, above all if you know the numbers of the unlocked cores, you can act on them only. I suggest modifying the values at subsequent steps, in order to achieve a safe booting.

Let uss know more about.

F3, 720. I played with voltage and per core settings.. However I am happy with my cpu at 3.1 ghz.. Vista 5.9 rating. So i will leave it alone.. Thanks!! :D

DeF!

Memory for GA-MA790X-UD4

Hello everyone!
I bought two GA-MA790X-UD4 for my two home PCs but i have problems with memory. At the begining i bought two sets of 2x2GB Patriot PC2-6400 Low Latency (4-4-4-12 @ 2,1V) modules but boards were not stable with them. I tried everything, used EPP profiles, i manually set setting in bios, and also tried them on everything auto. No luck. Both bords worked perfectly stable with 2x1GB PC2-6400 Kingston ValueRams so i know the boards work ok. So i decided to switch to 2x2Gb Geil Ultra low latency (4-4-4-12 @ 2,0V) modules. Again i didnt have much luck as Geil modules work only in Ganged mode with everything set to auto (5-5-5-15 @ 1,8V). Setting DTCs to Unganged or lowering timings (with raised voltage to 2,0 or highier) gives me a lot of errors in goldmemory test and system is unstable under heavy load.
Im really out of ideas as QVL on gigabyte's site for this mobo lists only 1 PC2-6400 (yes just one!!!) 2gb module but its not low latency one(geil modules with 5-5-5-15 timings).

So im here to ask you guys'n'gals what memory modules do u use? Gigabytes technical service didnt want to tell me what modules should i use. They just hinted i can try ocz modules (but without any specific model so i was thinking about OCZ Titanium EPP modules). Also technician from gigabyte said they wont add new 2gb modules to QVL and they are not planning to release new bios that could solve my problems.

In the end i have to add that i also ordered gigabyte HD 48701gb that was faulty out of the box (performance was lower than on my old 8800GT - i.e. i had like 7000 to 9000 points in 3dm06 but every run gave different result. CPU used was Phenom II 940). I tried that gpu on two different asus boards and had the same results so had to send it back. The upside is that i managed to unlock Phenom II 720 bought for the second board and its now oficially running as Phenom II X4 20 :rockout:.
Thanks in advance for your answers.

DeF!

Jickel

bilbots: Not sure if anyone has unlocked the 710, nor if it would have an unlocked multiplier if that was the case. All I've seen in this thread are unlocked 720s.

bilbots

bilbots: Not sure if anyone has unlocked the 710, nor if it would have an unlocked multiplier if that was the case. All I've seen in this thread are unlocked 720s.

Apparently after unlock on x4, you just press reset and normaly if you have luck, you can see Engineering Sample...

But the bios Asrock is a AMIBIOS and the bios Gigabyte is a Awardbios.

Maybe is a bug.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard MSI X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 32 GB Team Xtreme DDR4 3200
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 7900 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600/2 TB Intel 660p
Display(s) 31.5" Acer ED323QUR
Case Corsair Carbide 500R
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 1000 GT
Mouse Havit HV-MS735
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Time Spy Graphics 26359 CPU 11728 Total 22203
Just wanted to say that I've been really impressed with this board. I've tried a couple of 790GX boards from Asus and Biostar recently, and neither of them can pull off a stable overclock without pumping quite a bit of juice into the CPU. And even then, the memory would crap out after an hour. The MA790X-UD4 ends up beating out some pretty decent competitors. Of course, it could be because I'm running 4x2 GB of memory but even then, the Gigabyte board has proven to handle that much memory better than its competitors. After my experience with the other two boards, I think I'll permanently stick with this board for the remainder of its upgradeable life.

ramagel

Hello

I'd be very grateful to learn whether I should continue attempting to unlock my Phenom II 550. I HAVE unlocked the 'extra' two cores (ACC+Hybrid) which show in the POST, but I cannot successfully boot to Vista x64. The system just hangs after POST.

The BIOS is F4G on the GA-MA790XT-UD4P. Memory is OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz REAPER SERIES DUAL CHANNEL KIT (7-7-7-24) running safely u/c @ default 1066.

I have experimented - in ignorance - with increasing the CPU and CPU VID voltage (incrementally by +0.050 - so to 1.4000) with no beneficial effect. I have adjusted the ACC settings +10% and -10% also to no avail (you can see that I have no real idea what these do).

Should I just accept that the 'hidden' cores are bad, and concentrate on o/cing the two good cores?

Thanks for any input.

PS: I'm not in a position to go beyond simply booting Vista right now: the memory heatsinks prevent me from installing the Thermalright u120 cooler - so I'm stuck for the weekend with the stock cooler: but I'll be happy just to boot into Vista with 4 cores for starters !