• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Should I trade my desktop for this Laptop???!?!

Q

quasar923

Ok so i posted my PC thats in my specs on craigslist, just the box, no key board, monitor ect. A guy responded by email and wants to trade for his laptop which he rarely takes out of the house. So the laptop is a 1 year old Asus m51 gaming laptop. I believe he upgraded it some because online the specs are lower than what he listed. This is what he listed as his specs:

CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.40 GHZ

Hardrive - 250 GB

RAM - 4 GB

GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 9500M GS (Plays games like Half-Life 2 & CSS on Max and have comfortably played newer games like Crysis & Gow on Med/Low settings--some high)

OS - Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit (Comes with original Recovery disc and Drivers disc)

CD/DVD - Burns DVDs at 16X and can also burn Dual Layered discs

Display - 15.4 Screen, 1280 x 800 Max Resolution

Other - 4 Usb slots, built in Mic/Webcam, Full sized keyboard, fingerprint scanner

also i have with it:

- ASUS carry case
- AC Adaptor
- Rosewill Notebook USB Cooling Pad
- Games--Bioshock & Halo

and i will blank it and reinstall windows vista with various programs if you wish.

--

So should I trade for this laptop?

I would try it out and all before I made the trade. I just want some advise to see if this is money worthy and performance worthy. I hardly ever play games anymore so I don't care about that, I like to watch movies on my PC mostly and go on facebook and stuff.
I'm going to college next year as I will be a senior in high school this year, so a laptop for college may be nice. Also It would be nice for my band for recording videos and bringing it to practices. I could also hook up the laptop to my 24" dell screen, my keyboard and mouse when I am home at my desk, where I would have the laptop most of the time. I was looking to sell my desktop for about $800 so I could upgrade to a quad and a 4890 for only 100$ or so more. Also I think ill buy a $30 rosewill case and keep my $200 case because i didn't list the case in the add, and it makes no performance difference.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
well I just spent about $550 for virtually the same lappy(in specs with your list) BNIB off newegg, but mine has the intel4500 GPU :(

That should give you a good starting point for comparisson.

Q

quasar923

well I just spent about $550 for virtually the same lappy BNIB off newegg, but mine has the intel4500 GPU :(

So your saying that lappy is only worth about $550-$600? Maybe i could ask him for $100-$200 on top of the trade.

Q

quasar923

well I just spent about $550 for virtually the same lappy(in specs with your list) BNIB off newegg, but mine has the intel4500 GPU :(

So you didn't buy an asus? And what lappy did you buy? I cant find one like that for that price on NE. Could you link me, because then I could also show the guy so he wouldn't think im making it up. thanks.

System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
Man, that is a subjective question.

If your desire for portability is great, then it sounds like a really good deal. You should check to see how much the equivalent costs at the moment.

With the awesome overclock on your current machine and the 4850 being about 1.5-2x more powerful than the 9500M GS I think you'll find your desktop way faster, but it's a respectable laptop and if portability is what you want, then all the more. Make sure the deal is legit - question a lot.

Q

quasar923

Man, that is a subjective question.

If your desire for portability is great, then it sounds like a really good deal. You should check to see how much the equivalent costs at the moment.

With the awesome overclock on your current machine and the 4850 being about 1.5-2x more powerful than the 9500M GS I think you'll find your desktop way faster, but it's a respectable laptop and if portability is what you want, then all the more. Make sure the deal is legit - question a lot.

Well then if his laptop is that much slower I dont think ill go for it. I have an older macbook G4 with 786mb ram, 1.4ghz cpu and its decently fast, so I could use that, just need to get it fixed, everything turns on, but the screen stays black, maybe dead GPU or LCD? Idk, going into work at PC Warehouse tomorrow and my boss is ganna see if he can figure out what wrong. But I was looking for more speed, and I could just take my desktop to college in a smaller case or watev.

sneekypeet

Retired Super Moderator
System Name EVA-01
Processor Intel i7 13700K
Motherboard Asus ROG Maximus Z690 HERO EVA Edition
Cooling ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 with Noctua Industrial Fans
Memory PAtriot Viper Elite RGB 96GB @ 6000MHz.
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3090 24GB OC EVA Edition
Storage Addlink S95 M.2 PCIe GEN 4x4 2TB
Display(s) Asus ROG SWIFT OLED PG42UQ
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board > Sony Receiver > Cerwin Vegas
Power Supply be quiet DARK POWER PRO 12 1500W
Mouse ROG STRIX Impact Electro Punk
Keyboard ROG STRIX Scope TKL Electro Punk
Software Windows 11
Well then if his laptop is that much slower I dont think ill go for it. I have an older macbook G4 with 786mb ram, 1.4ghz cpu and its decently fast, so I could use that, just need to get it fixed, everything turns on, but the screen stays black, maybe dead GPU or LCD? Idk, going into work at PC Warehouse tomorrow and my boss is ganna see if he can figure out what wrong. But I was looking for more speed, and I could just take my desktop to college in a smaller case or watev.

Yo quasar923, best of luck, i'm from ffld county, how bout you.

:rockout:

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
um, as someone said before if your in dire need of a portable and acceptable computer then maybe. My 8800GT was like 2x faster than my 7800GTX, and my 7800GTX is equivalent to just below an 8600GTS. the 9500M GS is slower than a desktop 8600GTS. the HD 4850=9800GTX+ basically. so yea your looking at losing 3-4x the performance of your desktop....i wouldn't trade it, in fact i'd laugh at the trade and then politely say no to the guy. just my opinion.

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Full sized keyboard on a 15.4"?

This sounds like a larger DTR laptop, whereas you can get the same speed in current laptops in the thin and powerful lines of places.

Definitely use it first.. I couldn't stand a used laptop personally >.>

Laptops are most definitely much nicer than having a desktop if mobility is of any use for you. I never want to back to a desktop full time.

System Name Senile
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10
Well then if his laptop is that much slower I dont think ill go for it. I have an older macbook G4 with 786mb ram, 1.4ghz cpu and its decently fast, so I could use that, just need to get it fixed, everything turns on, but the screen stays black, maybe dead GPU or LCD? Idk, going into work at PC Warehouse tomorrow and my boss is ganna see if he can figure out what wrong.

With the overclock and video on your desktop, it's more powerful, period. Can you overclock the ASUS laptop? Serious question.

With the broken Mac, sounds like you are in a dillema. :confused:

Q

quasar923

Full sized keyboard on a 15.4"?

This sounds like a larger DTR laptop, whereas you can get the same speed in current laptops in the thin and powerful lines of places.

Definitely use it first.. I couldn't stand a used laptop personally >.>

Laptops are most definitely much nicer than having a desktop if mobility is of any use for you. I never want to back to a desktop full time.

Mobility isnt huge. I would only want it for band practices and college in a whole year. who knows maybe one of my rich uncles will give me one as a graduation gift. But other members in my band have laptops. So i guess mobility isnt that much of a desire, but would be cool to be online anywhere in my house or even outside :) just a wish tho, no need. haha

from what your saying,
this year your gonna be a senior,
next year is college,
i would keep the desktop till you get close to college, there will be
so much more advancement in tech by the time you get close to college,
i would wait till then to go mobile...

Q

quasar923

from what your saying,
this year your gonna be a senior,
next year is college,
i would keep the desktop till you get close to college, there will be
so much more advancement in tech by the time you get close to college,
i would wait till then to go mobile...

I was thinking about that too. I think you guys are right. stick with my desktop, and try to sell it for $800ish and spend another 100 to get a much faster PC.

System Name Senile
Case Rosewill
Mouse Logitech G5
Software Win 10
I was thinking about that too. I think you guys are right. stick with my desktop, and try to sell it for $800ish and spend another 100 to get a much faster PC.

If it's gaming, a vid card upgrade would do you justice, but that takes $$

Its hard to sell shit, keep that in mind.

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
if i were and your lookin for more performance now, i'd try and sell your graphic card for $100. they go on ebay from 80-109 for ones that are almost at the end of bidding. an HD 4870 can be had for $126 on newegg. Powercolor HD 4870 512mb

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
dont trade it. I prefer a desktop over a lappy any day of the week