• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Linux Mint 7 Questions

D

DreamSeller

Ok im thinking of getting Linux Mint 7 in a few days... Anyone tried it how it works?
Ive read that its very similar to Ubuntu or even better which i used some time ago... my other question is how will i get my drivers for LAN(Realtek 8111C)/audio Realtek ALC662 :ohwell: there arent any on the cd...
thanks

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I actually JUST installed linux mint in a VM..

Its uBuntu based so its already got a lot of stuff and wide variety of programs available.... I LOVE it.

Boot to the Live CD to check for drivers/compatability.

D

DreamSeller

ah man i love mint :D its so cool still have to get my hd4670 drivers lol

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910

enaher

System Name One does not simply have enough cash for INTEL
Processor Athlon II 450 3.8ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FX-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master 212+
Memory 4x4gb Corsair DDR3
Video Card(s) 2x 5830 Sapphire 950c/1150m CF
Storage 2x Seagate 500GB Raid0 + Samsung 1TB
Display(s) BenQ G2220HDA
Case Xigmatek ASGARD PRO
Power Supply SeasonicX 750w
Software W7 x64 Ultimate
it's really nice, light and fast distro, still prefer Ubuntu but thats cause im a noob in linux and really need all the support i can get.

D

DreamSeller

it's really nice, light and fast distro, still prefer Ubuntu but thats cause im a noob in linux and really need all the support i can get.

IMO mint is easier it comes with all kodeks installed :D

Deusxmachina

I put Mint on something, and a week later, Firefox started having problems. My brother put Mint on something, and a week later, Firefox started having problems. I like Mint a lot, but it's 0-2 at the moment.

Others I've used recently that are also easy-to-use are PCLOS, AntiX (lighter version of SimplyMepis), Crunchbang, Mandriva (pretty, but takes decent hardware to run), and Puppy Linux.

I'm impressed with how nice Puppy is for how small it is. There are even smaller ones, but Puppy is like a full point-and-click desktop.

All of the above detected my wireless fine exept for AntiX. Strangely, the ONLY one that is plug-and-play and doesn't freeze up with my Microsoft camera and Skype is Crunchbang. Windows XP didn't even play nice with that MS camera and Skype. I like Crunchbang, especially on somewhat-old hardware, but it's not as intuitive to me as some of the others.