• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

C++ texts

kane22

Hi all. Looking for a bit of advice that I hope any of you experienced programmers may help me with. I am currently trying to learn C++, however, I have had 0 experience in the past with programming languages. I had asked around the bookstore I currently work at for references to a decent C++ "how-to"/learning guide, but the only suggestion that I received was C++ for dummies...needless to say it has helped very little (although I have learned some minor aspects). I just wanted to know how any of you all learned C++, and whether you could maybe suggest a decent guide to learn from. Thank you all!

I learned some basics at school many years ago, nothing really useful. I don't like C++, I learned VB via VBA until I figured .NET is far more easy. From there I started making little tools Googling the things I required. Basically having a specific goal works best for me, learning random crap I'm not using in any useful way doesn't get me anywhere.

I'm really crap as a programmer btw :)

kane22

I learned some basics at school many years ago, nothing really useful. I don't like C++, I learned VB via VBA until I figured .NET is far more easy. From there I started making little tools Googling the things I required. Basically having a specific goal works best for me, learning random crap I'm not using in any useful way doesn't get me anywhere.

I'm really crap as a programmer btw :)

ha-ha I am sure you are better than me :p. Thanks for the advice anyway! :)

I am mainly interested in learning because of the "possible" job prospects it may open up..I am not studying computer science in college (biology/literature major here), but I do wish to acquire some type of computer certification to make me more marketable. I was A+ certified way back when, but honestly I was young and never used it, or knew what to do with it anyway ha-ha

Take some basic courses then, if you're applying for a job it helps if you're able to back up whatever you say with pieces of paper. Sure you know a bit of C++, they won't be able to tell what you can and can't do without seeing some certificate or references. Simple as those certificates might be, they do help. For instance I actually had some years working at TPU on my CV, my current boss actually liked it as my job included working with hardware. I could have told him I knew something about hardware and he would know nothing, though he actually heard of atitool at the time and our software relies heavily on videocards, so my work here at TPU actually looked interesting to my boss.
Just list as much as you can, if the one taking the interview finds something interesting he'll ask.

Personally I use VB for simple tools and automation, it's just a little thing that makes my job easier. I'd never apply for a job as programmer as I simply don't know enough for that.

kane22

I will have to look at what my college offers, but that sounds like a good idea. There are just so many computer related careers anymore that I, and probably along with many others, have no idea what employers are looking for anymore. Personally, I would like to work with the mechanical aspects of computers, and figured familiarizing myself with some programming language may assist me sometime or another.

They mostly look for some 18yo with 25 years of experience for minimum wage.

And that's not completely a joke. Either way, it doesn't really matter if you're good at anything when applying for a job, you just need the papers. It will matte if you plan on keeping the job once you get it.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Why not just use the internet for resources?
There is more information on C++ programming on the internet than you could read in your lifetime. From absolute beginner to highly advanced stuff including tutorials, references, best practices, tip, tricks, etc.
You can use the stickied post at the top of this forum as a good launching point.

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
I will have to look at what my college offers, but that sounds like a good idea. There are just so many computer related careers anymore that I, and probably along with many others, have no idea what employers are looking for anymore. Personally, I would like to work with the mechanical aspects of computers, and figured familiarizing myself with some programming language may assist me sometime or another.

Good deal.

Part of my job is to screen applicants before getting an interview with the director. I see so many kids coming out of school who know the basics, but little else. Anyone showing the slightest bit of initiative will get my approval.

YinYang.ERROR

System Name Echelon
Processor Phenom II x3 720 - 4th Core Unlocked
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Stock
Memory Adata 4gb ddr3 1600
Video Card(s) Ati HD 5770
Storage 640gb & 250gb SATA
Display(s) MAG CRT 17"
Case CM 690
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply 600w Cooler Master Silent Pro
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64

adbroke

Hi kane22 ,
i know its not easy to become good programmer in C++
i suggest you to set your mind that actually you want to learn C++.
Once you start it seems boring in beginning but its very interesting.
Basic logic you can develop from this language..
for more help on C++ find material on net ..

zenonzyta01

Hi,
I have whole guides of the C++.What you want?
Can you give me some particular program name for C++.
Thanks for sharing this information.

shashank86

Herbert schildt's The complete reference C++... Don't go by the size of the book... It is really awesome... Good for both beginners and pros...
Cheers..

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
I agree with Dan, you have to set short goals that interest you, and complete them one after another. From hello world! to a dice game, to graphical user interface coloring programs, to a full fledged program, you have to learn eventually.

The trick is to do something that is going to keep your interest. Same with playing the guitar, you cant start out playing "Master of Puppets" or "Pinball Wizard", but if you conquer "Mary had a little lamb", you will be ecstatic.

I agree with Dan, you have to set short goals that interest you, and complete them one after another. From hello world! to a dice game, to graphical user interface coloring programs, to a full fledged program, you have to learn eventually.

The trick is to do something that is going to keep your interest. Same with playing the guitar, you cant start out playing "Master of Puppets" or "Pinball Wizard", but if you conquer "Mary had a little lamb", you will be ecstatic.

Agree

Be kinda silly to make a full program, and not know had to do a little program. Even the Hello World and the other thousands like it will help you in the long run, boring I know. But they all teach you something

System Name Ultrabeast GX2
Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 4.0GHZ 24/7
Motherboard Gigabit P35-DS3L
Cooling Rosewill RX24, Dual Slot Vid, Fan control
Memory 2x1gb 1066mhz@850MHZ DDR2
Video Card(s) 9800GX2 @ 690/1040
Storage 750/250/250/200 all WD 7200
Display(s) 24" DCLCD 2ms 1200p
Case Apevia
Audio Device(s) 7.1 Digital on-board, 5.1 digital hooked up
Power Supply 700W RAIDMAXXX SLI
Software winXP Pro
Benchmark Scores 17749 3DM06
I had a series of games that I made called "Bad Farming", it was like the old school drug wars, but with farm animals. The series included bad farming 1, 2, 3, and the expansion to 3.

1 was a very simple program where you could buy and sell, and get money. There were random prices (IE from 1-5 for pig, 20-30 for cow, etc...). The system required you to put numbers for things you wanted to sell.

2 was more in-depth, having supply and demand random "Blowouts" that increased the price thrice-fold. Here, you had to pay Giovanni by the end of 15, 30, and 60 days, in different amounts starting with 3000 to pay off a loan. This installment included cheat codes, including turning the farm lingo into drug lingo by entering your name as "Giovanni" on the "Enter name" screen. This system let you type things like "Sell Chicken/Buy Chicken/Skip Day", etc... but suffered from problems like capital letters, and small mistakes, where you would waste a day by entering the incorrect syntax.

3 was much like 2, with graphics (very poorly pixel drawn designs, etc...), an ability to "save your game" and play beyond 60 days, and several other game tweaks. The expansion added more animals, and an options and credit menu, where you could set several different options from the color of text, to graphics on/off, etc... This system was very user friendly, where you could misspell several different ways, and still have the game understand you, like "Sell Chicken" or "sell chicken" or "sel chiken", etc...

james2008

Unless someone is there teaching you, it is a hard subject.
It would be akin to trying to learn how to speak a different language.
The best anyone can probably do is to point you in the right direction.

So you would say "how do I use the random function" and I would say:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <time.h>

srand ( time(NULL) );
randomguess = rand() % 50 + 1;

and explain that the srand would be the seeded part, by the function of
time. Then the interger (varaible) randomguess would ouput a number from
1 to 50, using the modulus.

but you don't need to understand that as a beginner, that will come in time
all you need to know is that it works. Then slowly build up that way, it will
be some 2 years, from novice, to be able to program.

And though really geeky, great fun, and all the girls will love you
I wish
James

System Name Main system
Processor Intel Core-i7 4790K @4.5
Motherboard Asus Z97-Pro Gamer
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 32 Gig (16 GigADATA XPG V2 DDR3 2400 + 16 Gig Geil Evo Veloce DDR3 1600 CL11)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX1080 G1 Gaming
Storage Western Digital Blue Cavier 500 and 1 Terabyte + 1 Terabyte Green Cavier + Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500G
Display(s) ASUS ML238 LED Monitor
Case Green Viper X3
Audio Device(s) Onboard-Realtek
Power Supply Green 700watt (Its a rebranded psu from highpower/kolink I guess)
Software Windows 10 /Ubuntu 16.04
Hi all. Looking for a bit of advice that I hope any of you experienced programmers may help me with. I am currently trying to learn C++, however, I have had 0 experience in the past with programming languages. I had asked around the bookstore I currently work at for references to a decent C++ "how-to"/learning guide, but the only suggestion that I received was C++ for dummies...needless to say it has helped very little (although I have learned some minor aspects). I just wanted to know how any of you all learned C++, and whether you could maybe suggest a decent guide to learn from. Thank you all!

if you can afford it , go get a Deitel and Deitels C++ how to program, its indeed a great book
you can also garb it form your city / college library .
and put the books aside, you can find pretty much everything you need on the iternet! lots of tutorials are out there! you can either register at codeguru or cprogrammingboard and alot more!
C++ is a good language , but this language needs alot of effort !

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 7600
Motherboard Gigabyte B650 Aorus Elite AX
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Kingston Fury Beast DDR5-5600 16GBx2
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT 16GB
Storage TEAMGROUP T-Force Z440 2TB, SPower A60 2TB, SPower A55 2TB, Seagate 4TBx2, Samsung 870 2TB
Display(s) AOC 24G2 + Xitrix WFP-2415
Case Montech Air X
Audio Device(s) Realtek onboard
Power Supply Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 FM 750W 80+ Gold
Mouse Logitech G304
Keyboard Redragon K557 KAIA RGB Mechanical Keyboard
Software Windows 10
I was taught C++ during high school. Suffice to say I barely remember anything about it now (same with Visual Basic). At least I remember something about Java...

System Name My Current Desktop
Processor i9 12900KF
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
Cooling ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 360
Memory G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR5 6400 F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS
Video Card(s) RTX 3090 FE
Storage SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 1TB
Display(s) Dell S2716DGR 27" TN 1440p
Case Fractal Design Torrent White
Audio Device(s) Schiit Bifrost2
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razer Basilisk
Keyboard Keychron Q6 (brown)
Software Win 11 Pro
Out of all the C variants, I'm seeing C# being used more and more, from experience you can't know too much when interviewing for a programming job, and a lot of entry level jobs offer OJT for a lot of proprietary resume builders. For instance at my previous job I picked up some Intel PRO-IV programming and Fujitsu Superlayer, which are both very obscure and highly proprietary, and right now in school I'm learning IBM Assembly languagage as well as VB.net and Java.

Did I mention I'm not even a programmer... :laugh:

Point being learn whatever you can, it'll only help you as time goes on.