• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Star Wars The Old republic

Ammugonevil

System Name Vader...(Alienware ALX X-58 Yes Im scum...)
Processor Intel Core i7-975 Stock clocking
Motherboard ASUS P6T DELUXE V2
Cooling Liquid cooling (AlienIce 3. to CPU), 3x 80mm Fans left and right, and rear
Memory Corsair Dominator 6GB DDR3 x1600 (3x 2GB)
Video Card(s) Nvidia Geforce 295 GTX 1,792 MB
Storage 1st Drive SSD 512GB (2x 256GB Raid 0), 2nd Drive 500GB 7200rpm
Display(s) 24" Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP
Case P2
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster Titanium X-FI 7.1, Alienware TactX™ Headset, Logitech X-210 2.1
Power Supply ALX 1200W
Software MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 2006 3DMark Score- 21,192.00 3DMarks SM2.0 Score- 7,670.00 HDR/SM3.0 Score- 10,588.00
One of the best ever RPG's I have ever played has to be Star wars Knights of the old republic..

Now Bioware, and Lucas arts are releasing a MMORPG called the old republic.. any star wars fans here who are interested...

I seriously cant wait for this...

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Yeah, there was a big thread started a while ago, a few people here who are looking to play this (including me).

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
There is a special place in hell for those that take a damn good RPG series and make it an MMO. In this special place, in order to get anything done they will have to join a clan, even to go to the shitter, you have to have your clanmates with you and the clan leader laughs at your pathetically small penis and then threatens to throw you out of the clan just to watch your bladder burst since you can't take a piss without a clan.

Also, there is going to be one super demon running around that will tear your soul apart the second that you try to fight him, no matter how good you are and no matter how many friends are with you.

Also, there is a water park that you have to pay to get into, THEN you have to pay to go on each ride, THEN once you are fixing to hit the cool refreshing water, you lag out and get sent back to your firey hot room while you wait for the pool to patch.....

Can you tell that I loathe MMO's?

Ammugonevil

Cooling Liquid cooling (AlienIce 3. to CPU), 3x 80mm Fans left and right, and rear
Case P2
Audio Device(s) Creative sound blaster Titanium X-FI 7.1, Alienware TactX™ Headset, Logitech X-210 2.1
Power Supply ALX 1200W
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 2006 3DMark Score- 21,192.00 3DMarks SM2.0 Score- 7,670.00 HDR/SM3.0 Score- 10,588.00
Ummm... better look for that thread then...:D

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
There is a special place in hell for those that take a damn good RPG series and make it an MMO

...the kind reserved for child molesters and people who talk at the theater...

And yes, I definitely agree.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
There is a special place in hell for those that take a damn good RPG series and make it an MMO. In this special place, in order to get anything done they will have to join a clan, even to go to the shitter, you have to have your clanmates with you and the clan leader laughs at your pathetically small penis and then threatens to throw you out of the clan just to watch your bladder burst since you can't take a piss without a clan.

Also, there is going to be one super demon running around that will tear your soul apart the second that you try to fight him, no matter how good you are and no matter how many friends are with you.

Also, there is a water park that you have to pay to get into, THEN you have to pay to go on each ride, THEN once you are fixing to hit the cool refreshing water, you lag out and get sent back to your firey hot room while you wait for the pool to patch.....

Can you tell that I loathe MMO's?

Some people like playing a teamwork game, power comes in numbers, inthe films it's always luke, han, chewi, r2, c3, and princess, sometimes not all of them, then later (or earlier) obi, Qui-Gon, and anakin. Not to mention, the senates help, or the fact that most of the Dark Side leaders almost never do their own dirty work.

You most likely hate a encounter against 1 huge boss, but so far it seems this game will not being having those, but large scale battles, like in the movies. Gotta do some research before you hate, but either way, this game is going to be great, and battles aren't won by lone soldiers, even the the SW universe.

JC316

Processor AMD FX6300
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Some people like playing a teamwork game, power comes in numbers, inthe films it's always luke, han, chewi, r2, c3, and princess, sometimes not all of them, then later (or earlier) obi, Qui-Gon, and anakin. Not to mention, the senates help, or the fact that most of the Dark Side leaders almost never do their own dirty work.

You most likely hate a encounter against 1 huge boss, but so far it seems this game will not being having those, but large scale battles, like in the movies. Gotta do some research before you hate, but either way, this game is going to be great, and battles aren't won by lone soldiers, even the the SW universe.

My biggest gripes with MMO's are the following:

With the epic battles, you have to be in a clan, so you have to be on at a certain time to do a certain thing. I lead a very unpredictable life, so that flat out isn't an option for me. Also, you get clan leaders that take the game so seriously that if you don't perform properly, you get kicked. You can have epic battles with a single player game. Oblivion proved that.

Paying monthly. This is the biggest gripe. Why do I have to pay $49.99 for a game, then have to pay to play it?

It was a truly great single player RPG. Those are getting harder and harder to come by these days. Name the last great single player RPG.... I am willing to bet that Oblivion pops into your head.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Name the last great single player RPG.... I am willing to bet that Oblivion pops into your head.

oh come now. Oblivion is more a action adventure than RPG.

I'm mostly with JC though. BUT, here's what makes this games interesting:

As the devs told us, the majority of the game can be done without a single bit of help from another player. They said that the main appeal of MMOs is the experience single player with the option of being with other players. They confirmed that names, chat, and so on could all be turned off or ignored if you really, really wanted absolutely nothing to do with other people.

I actually have faith in them.

Linky

JC316

Processor AMD FX6300
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
oh come now. Oblivion is more a action adventure than RPG.

I'm mostly with JC though. BUT, here's what makes this games interesting:

I actually have faith in them.

Linky

Nah, Zelda is more in the Action/Adventure, no leveling required. No real depth to your character. Not having to communicate eases the sting, but still, unless it's free to play, I have no respect for any MMO.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
My biggest gripes with MMO's are the following:

With the epic battles, you have to be in a clan, so you have to be on at a certain time to do a certain thing. I lead a very unpredictable life, so that flat out isn't an option for me. Also, you get clan leaders that take the game so seriously that if you don't perform properly, you get kicked. You can have epic battles with a single player game. Oblivion proved that.

Paying monthly. This is the biggest gripe. Why do I have to pay $49.99 for a game, then have to pay to play it?

It was a truly great single player RPG. Those are getting harder and harder to come by these days. Name the last great single player RPG.... I am willing to bet that Oblivion pops into your head.

Lots of people have hectic schedules, I myself do. Thats why you join a guild that you enjoy the people in and clear things at the pace it happens. They may not be the best players, but they are cool people and you just have a good time. Not every guild is after progression, and if they are odds are you ill run across the types of people you speak of. Even if your progress isn't fast you will see it all soon enough.

Paying monthly isn't that bad, for the amount of time you put in, it's worth it. I use to buy 2 - 3 console games a month, and sometimes a PC game, now I maybe buy 5 - 6 games a year. Remember MMO's get patched frequently with new content, and lots of the time, that new content has the 8 hour play value that it seems most games are now (usually has more actually).

Oblivion is a great game, you have epic experiences, but it's not the same as experiencing perfect teamwork to down a boss with 20 - 40 other people that was a challenge, and fine tuning everything you need to do as a team. If you don't like that, thats fine, but you should see the point in it. Not every game is going to be a single player game out there, there are a ton of people who like teamwork games, and the SW universe works fantastic for such a thing. If it doesn't fit your schedule, that does suck, but you got to understand its a logical idea and nothing is wrong with it, even if it isn't your playstyle.

But like Frick said, you can play any MMO on the market (maybe not FF) to max level solo no problem. And do things at max level solo, go kill some rare things that are a challenge. But don't expect to 1 man the sarlac (best example I could come up with).

JC316

Processor AMD FX6300
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Lots of people have hectic schedules, I myself do. Thats why you join a guild that you enjoy the people in and clear things at the pace it happens. They may not be the best players, but they are cool people and you just have a good time. Not every guild is after progression, and if they are odds are you ill run across the types of people you speak of. Even if your progress isn't fast you will see it all soon enough.

Paying monthly isn't that bad, for the amount of time you put in, it's worth it. I use to buy 2 - 3 console games a month, and sometimes a PC game, now I maybe buy 5 - 6 games a year. Remember MMO's get patched frequently with new content, and lots of the time, that new content has the 8 hour play value that it seems most games are now (usually has more actually).

Oblivion is a great game, you have epic experiences, but it's not the same as experiencing perfect teamwork to down a boss with 20 - 40 other people that was a challenge, and fine tuning everything you need to do as a team. If you don't like that, thats fine, but you should see the point in it. Not every game is going to be a single player game out there, there are a ton of people who like teamwork games, and the SW universe works fantastic for such a thing. If it doesn't fit your schedule, that does suck, but you got to understand its a logical idea and nothing is wrong with it, even if it isn't your playstyle.

But like Frick said, you can play any MMO on the market (maybe not FF) to max level solo no problem And do things at max level solo, go kill some rare things that are a challenge. But don't expect to 1 man the sarlac (best example I could come up with).

No doubt that it could be fun, but I am just sick of seeing all the single player RPG's go to MMO. They are making so few that are single player only now. As for the publishers, I can see the logic, they get a nice cash cow and really don't have to do jack to keep the game going. The added content isn't enough to justify a $9.99 bill just to play your game.

I myself just want to be able to finish a game, killing every boss along the way without having to have 39 others in order to do it. That's what a game is all about, they give you control of the one badass that can take down a Sarlacc alone. Also, most of the time, people don't bother sticking to a plan, they just go solo during a battle and get killed.

I guess that I am not much of a team player. Which is why I will stick to playing the first one over and over again.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
There are great single player RPGs today, and there will be in the future, but the more franchises go MMO, the less games in existing universes we will get. On the other hand, Bioware keeps creating proprietary universes (Mass Effect and Dragon Age) of their own and make (excellent) single player experiences based on them, so there is still a bright future ahead. And no, there isn't a single MMO which can reach the depth of story of a good single player game - There are just too many random variables in the equation.

In general: I can't stand any form of multi player, and I only play single player of any game I own (Including CoD4 and CoD:WaW, Crysis and other games which are popular as MP games). I guess I am not a people person, or just old school when it comes to my gaming.

Ammugonevil

Case P2
Power Supply ALX 1200W
Well.... been extremely busy ive cancelled my wew suscription... didnt even get to ding 80....(76) im a slow lever because ive got too many things to do.....

I do hope that there would be an epic scale to this game..... and that you can have your own star ships.. not passenger liners from location to location.... thought not sure how that would work out...

dont know if you guys done any background but it appears that the game will be very doable solo because you get your very own companion... a walking carpet..a Voolsk... droid whatevers your thing...

I really hope that there will be jedi/sith classes that you can choose like in the previous rpgs

HolyCow02

System Name Shredder
Processor Phenom II 955 @stock (for the time being)
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Noctua U12P
Memory 8 GB muskin DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-6-18
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire 4870 1GB
Storage 64 GB Super Talent UltraDrive SSD | 2 x WD Caviar Black 500GB in RAID1
Display(s) Samsung 22" 2ms GTG
Case Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Vista Business 64-bit
This game is a time will tell for me. I am excited because I hope they do it right, as I am an avid SW fan. I don't want another F-up like Galaxies, or Force Commander. I played WoW for about 4 months and then had a "wtf am I doing" reality check, and haven't played an MMO since. So this game could reel me in, but like I said, time will tell

Ammugonevil

Case P2
Power Supply ALX 1200W
What was wrong with force commander, that was a real good rts....

Okay galaxies wasn't anything to shout about but it was atlease something the way of mmo's and since you dont play wow.... i dont know what to say...

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
And no, there isn't a single MMO which can reach the depth of story of a good single player game - There are just too many random variables in the equation.

I take it you haven't played AoC to level 20. Granted theres a lot of SP in there, but it's amazing.

Ammugonevil

Case P2
Power Supply ALX 1200W
Well ive never played guild wars but my lil bro does and out of the corner of my eye i have noticed that there is more than a few cutsenes

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Nah, Zelda is more in the Action/Adventure, no leveling required. No real depth to your character.

Just like Oblivion! :p

(but I'm a rabid anti-Oblivion fanboy so take no notice of me :p)

No doubt that it could be fun, but I am just sick of seeing all the single player RPG's go to MMO. They are making so few that are single player only now.

I myself just want to be able to finish a game, killing every boss along the way without having to have 39 others in order to do it. That's what a game is all about, they give you control of the one badass that can take down a Sarlacc alone. Also, most of the time, people don't bother sticking to a plan, they just go solo during a battle and get killed.

I guess that I am not much of a team player. Which is why I will stick to playing the first one over and over again.

I'm with you on this one. Also, I don't really like the feeling that no matter what I'm doing (in MMO's), a million other people have done the exact same thing, on the same server. Like "Who's up for gear run in Naxx?". That goes beyond me. I want to play a game to experience a story and see new things, it serves no purpose to do things because you can or you get some extre something that doesn't matter in real life.

Processor Phenom II 940BE @ 3.4ghz
Motherboard Asus 750a SLI
Cooling CM V8
Memory 2x2gb G.Skill 1100
Video Card(s) Sparkle GTX260 Core 216
Storage 120gb Seagate SATA2
Display(s) Samsung 24"
Case NZXT Panzerbox
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 2 ZS
Power Supply 550w Ultra X2
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
i've never really played an MMO I played WoW for a week and got bored
But im really interested in the Star Wars game I love Star Wars I'm a Star Wars FanGirl lol
I grew up with it(even though i was born in 1990) instead of playing with barbies dolls i played with my Dads action figures from the original trilogy so I really hope this game does turn out great
I'll be watching for it

Ammugonevil

Case P2
Power Supply ALX 1200W
Just like Oblivion! :p

(but I'm a rabid anti-Oblivion fanboy so take no notice of me :p)

I'm with you on this one. Also, I don't really like the feeling that no matter what I'm doing (in MMO's), a million other people have done the exact same thing, on the same server. Like "Who's up for gear run in Naxx?". That goes beyond me. I want to play a game to experience a story and see new things, it serves no purpose to do things because you can or you get some extre something that doesn't matter in real life.

Okay so your a fun-sucker...if you dont like games why are you in a game forum.. and if you dont like wow.. why did you level all the way to 70-80 before derating it.. games are for people to enjoy/pass time.. and if on peoples off hours some one wants to play a mmo on the greatest franchise ever why cant they...

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
I know this is a tad off topic..but does anyone have a Digital Download location of Star Wars TOR and Sith Lords..I think was the other one?

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
I know this is a tad off topic..but does anyone have a Digital Download location of Star Wars TOR and Sith Lords..I think was the other one?

SW:TOR isn't out yet, so no download availible. Sith Lords, is Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords, I can't find any digital downloads for that anywhere though.

System Name Felix777
Processor Core i5-3570k@stock
Motherboard Biostar H61
Memory 8gb
Video Card(s) XFX RX 470
Storage WD 500GB BLK
Display(s) Acer p236h bd
Case Haf 912
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Rosewill CAPSTONE 450watt
Software Win 10 x64
i'm with JC on this one. I LOVE kotor and kotorII though it wasn't as good as the first though if all the incomplete content had been finished i think it would have surpassed the first one. the fact that SW:TOR takes place(150years? can't remember) after kotor is one bummer as i was greatly looking forward to a single player KotOR 3 but nope instead they're making an MMO. which blows. sure if anyone can pull off an MMORPG with a great storyline its Bioware, but like said, a single player game is just better for storylines than mmo's by far imo. but o well, bioware joins blizzard and other companies in the greedy game making business instead of the great single player business they once used to be. guess maybe i should hold my tongue till swtor is actually out but still....i highly dout its storyline will be great like kotor's i say, since its from bioware, it may have the best storyline out of all current mmo's but it won't stay that way. WoW from what i hear was great when it was first released but since then it's just a race to the highest level really as well as adding content as fast as possible instead of having a storyline, there is one but its the poorest i've seen. I think swtor can have a good storyline but it will diminish with time and become like WoW, cramble for more features/content instead of storyline. The only MMO that i've enjoyed is EVE online, simply because it never really was based on storyline but completely based ont eh players, and i kinda have a desire to great space games which eve fits.

Ammugonevil

Case P2
Power Supply ALX 1200W
Sorry can't agree.. reason being is that there are too many star wars fans and an actual story board that all star wars games and books not to mention movies have to confine with.. the rule of two hasn't even been established yet... so every thing is a'okay.....

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
I'm not sure if they will be able to pull of a SP type storyline, but so far it sounds like they are doing a good job. There will be cut scenes and all, and there will be good evil (I'm talking beyond light/dark side) you could be light side and anything you do, you just kill the people instead of looking for the resolution.

Doesn't sound too far off from the KOTOR series really. I know you guys like SP games, but here's the sad truth, do you still go back and play KOTOR I or II? Probably not, and the thing about that is, KOTOR II came out about exactly the time WoW did, and KOTOR I was only about a year before that. I would think you guys would be jumping for joy, as this game is going to be huge, receive storyline updates, and continuing content, the ability to be in the SW world, and not just finish the game and put it aside.