• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RBE - General information and discussion

theorw

Processor C2D 8400@ 4,05GHz(currently)1,36v
Motherboard DFI LP x48 DK T2RS
Cooling XIGMATEK 1283 w/ bolt-thru kit/SCYTHE Mushashi x2
Memory Crucial BALLISTIX 6400 @900MHz 2,00v
Video Card(s) HD 5770 1040/1400 unlocked/musashi
Storage SG 120GB+WD 160GB
Display(s) 24" FLATRON W2442PA Full HD
Case COOLERMASTER HAF 932
Power Supply Thermaltake PUREPOWER RX 600
Software Vista ultimate SP1
Benchmark Scores VANTAGE:11700 3DMARKO06:18600 FURMARK:9K
Man u sure have a weird bios!
I tried the values u said and i saved and the result was the same as yours exactly
Its problem of your bios 4 sure
Why dont u try a different bios,from an othe 4670 that u can mod later???

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Don't flash that BIOS to your card! This is most likely a bug in RBE. I will look into it this afternoon.
How did you acquire your BIOS, using GPU-Z?

benjey

I aquired the BIOS with GPU-Z v0.3.2 and winflash 2.0.1.5. The same thing happens either way.

@theorw: I want to stick with my original BIOS at the moment, but I'm going to try another one if it's really a BIOS related problem and not a bug in RBE. Or I finally mount that passive cooler I've lying around here somewhere...

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Thanks. Well, just as I expected: This BIOS does not have a fan script and therefore, there is no fan control at all. Maybe the fan actually controls itself or it runs at the same speed at all times. The bug in RBE however was that it didn't recognize that there is no fan script and hence, RBE interpreted some more or less random bytes inside the BIOS as look up table for the fan script. I fixed this bug, so the fix will be part of the next release.

Maybe your card does have a fan controller as well as the fan maybe is actually controllable. The probability for this is very low, but maybe flashing some other BIOS onto the card might enable you to control the fan. You can use the soon-to-come RBE v1.20 for testing any BIOS if it indeed has a fan script.
Is your fan controllable using some software tool (ATT, RivaTuner)? If yes, go ahead and try some other BIOS. :) Both Sapphire 4670 BIOSes in the TPU database actually have fan scripts, for example.

benjey

ATT more or less crashes immediately (I've just the icon in the taskbar and it uses 100% CPU power, but does nothing else) and RivaTuner works well but can't change the fan speed either. So I guess you are right and there is no fan controller on my card.
The fan always runs with the same speed which is really annoying and I've hoped that the manufacturer used a constant function for fan control. I'm going to test RBE v1.20 with another BIOS to be sure.

Thanks for figuring all that out!

thirtythirty

Hello, I think the first message in the wrong thread, so I try it here again:

Hi y'all!

I have a strange problem with fan settings:
I modified my BIOS with RBE this way:

My setup:
Tmin °C 40
Tmax °C 106
Tslope % 21
Duty cycle min %15

Hysteresis %24
Spin up cycle % 0
Tmin Hysteresis °C 4
Spin up time (units) 0

PWM RAMP enabled 1% (also tested disabled)

When I started my PC the first time, the fan run at 40%, @40 °C; the second time I started it, it worked as intended, the third time, this morning, the fan was at 10% @ 70°C after 10mins. Tryed to edit the bios a second time, and tryed to edit my safed BIOS file again, and I have always the same problem.
Mybe someone can help me with this.
My Card is a Sapphire HD 4870 1GB;

Attachments

• RV770modified.zip
    45.5 KB · Views: 382

TurdFergasun

System Name fred
Processor 3570k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard Z77-UD5H
Cooling noctua nh-c14
Memory 8gb crucial ddr3 1866
Video Card(s) xfx 6950
Storage crucial m4 256gb
Display(s) benq ew2420
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply PCPC silencer 750w v.1
RBE: 4870 fan settings finally set right

finally got my 4870 fan settings right after the 4th flash and playing around with the different settings.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/Mr_Sanchez/4870tempval.jpg

RBE fan settings can be seen in the screenshot

vddc slave#1 temp is set to max temperature (89c) under a 780core clock and 1080 mem. freq. with spinning atitool 3d cube for about 1/2 hour, current temps are at stock clocks with cube still running. i've read that with stock bios fan speeds, max vddc temps hit around 95-100c under gaming let alone atitool which tends to heat up cards higher than normal gaming. Not 100% on stock temps tho never tested it stock with gpu-z, but the back-grill of the card with stock fan speeds used to be too hot to touch for more than a split second, now it's nice and cool enuf to touch always, and no more pulsing to 80% when it starts heating up. idles quietly and cool, with fan spinning around 15-25% almost completely inaudible. main reason for this bios for me was to run this card cool under osx86, and now it's great for windows games and osx.

ViciousXUSMC

System Name Vicious's Rig
Processor Q6600 @ 3.6ghz @ 1.4v (Windows)
Motherboard Asus P5Q Deluxe
Cooling Thermalright Ultra 120 Extrme with S-Scyth fan
Memory 2x2gb Mushkin DDR2 800
Video Card(s) 2x Visiontek 4850 @ 675/1000
Storage 2x 640gb Western Digital
Display(s) 37" Westinghouse LVM37-W3
Case Antec P182 Special Edition
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply PC Power & Cooling 750w Silencer
Software Windows Vista x64 Ultimate
Benchmark Scores 3dmark06 18,582
Hey BAGZZlash been awhile.

I am one of the new Asus W90 owners it has two 4870 mobile cards in it but in windows and gpuz it reports as a 4870X2, I ripped the bios with gpu-z and opened it with the new RBE 1.20 version and here is what we see:

I have one small problem with my machine, I get a "flicker" or a bounce to the screen that I only really see in game menus when I think the cards would be prone to swiching between high and low 3d clocks and If I remember from a past discussion the ram timings should be the same for both. The ripped bios shows they are not the same so I think maybe this is the problem.

I moved them all to 600mhz and flashed and upon boot all seemed well, I saw 600mhz but opening firefox to report on the forums and I got the white flashing screen of death. So something is not right yet.

Maybe because its dual cards I need to flash both cards for stability.

Anyways the big question today for me is, can I tell these mobile cards that they are desktop cards so that we can install new ATI drivers? We are stuck with old drivers and so far all attempts to modify drivers for install have failed on Vista & Win7 (they got it working on XP). If I can do that what exactly do I need to do?

Off topic: I am using winflash 2.0.0.7 because the "new" version at the time did not work in Vista x64 but I was very lucky to find out an older version works. Anybody know if the newest version of winflash has this fixed yet?

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Hey BAGZZlash

Hi there! :toast:

If I remember from a past discussion the ram timings should be the same for both. The ripped bios shows they are not the same so I think maybe this is the problem.
Yeah, could be the cause. But I don't know if I'd rather decide do live with that issue because running the RAM at high clocks all the time eats a lot of power which is not very nice especially for a notebook.

Maybe because its dual cards I need to flash both cards for stability.
Of course you need to do that.

Anyways the big question today for me is, can I tell these mobile cards that they are desktop cards so that we can install new ATI drivers?
Theoretically you could do that. RBE has the functionality already. But changing the DeviceID using RBE is still not recommended, though: The DeviceID (and several other things inside the BIOS) are protected by a digital signature, so changing the DeviceID will void the signature and the driver will refuse to work. Don't do that.

We are stuck with old drivers and so far all attempts to modify drivers for install have failed on Vista & Win7 (they got it working on XP). If I can do that what exactly do I need to do?
I'm not so much into drivers. You should ask this question in the general ATI forum. It should be possible if I'm not completely wrong.

Anybody know if the newest version of winflash has this fixed yet?
Why don't you try yourself? I'm very pleased with WinFlash 2.0.1.7.

Oh, and one other thing: Please be sure to upload both (unmodified) BIOSes to the TPU database. It can be done easily using GPU-Z. Thanks, man! :rockout:

ViciousXUSMC

Well I got the flash to work fine.

First of all despite being two seperate cards I am 99.9% sure its a 4870x2 now like Asus claimed as one card has a master bios and the other a slave bios.

I tried the ID thing and didnt break my system but it didnt help. I just saw one card in the device manager and gpu-z called it a "generic ati graphics adapter" the drivers would not install windows just kept saying I already have the most up to date drivers installed.

I did get one thing out of it useful so far, the no hash method worked for extending the overdrive limits, next thing I will do is see if the voltage can be increased via the bios like my desktop 4850's could.

Oh and yeah the new version of winflash works, I never made it back to edit my post.

Pappa

Rbe & Msi 4890 (r4890-t2d1g-oc)

BAGZZlash,

I have used RBE in the past to change my voltages on 4870's. Thank you. I just bought a MSI 4890 and would like to change the voltages but RBE v1.20 won't open the BIOS file. I see others are using it to MOD their 4890 BIOS but for some reason it won't open the MSI BIOS. Don't know why, its an ATI reference board design. I wonder if MSI has blocked your program?

I've attached my BIOS (extracted with ATIFLASH). What do you think?

Pappa

Attachments

• MSI 4890 RV790.zip
    40.7 KB · Views: 410

BAGZZlash

RBE Author
Problem is that MSI uses a line break inside the specs string. This is unusual and unexpected to RBE so it can't handle it.
I used this occasion to improve this part of code in RBE which was long overdue. You can use this inofficial version to modify your BIOS. But be careful:

1. How did you extract your BIOS? It's a GDDR5 card but still the BIOS is < 128 kB and therefore, most probably corrupted. Please use most recent versions of GPU-Z or WinFlash to extract your BIOS. For more information, read this.
  2. The new code in the specs string analysis part of RBE is not yet widely tested. After modifying and saving your BIOS, just load it into RBE once again and check the checksums (i.e. compare if both checksums of original BIOS and modified BIOS are alike).

Now enjoy using RBE! :)

Last edited:

Pappa

BAGZZlash,

Thank you for the fast response and quick fix! I'll try it this weekend.

Pappa

Problem is that MSI uses a line break inside the specs string. This is unusual and unexpected to RBE so it can't handle it.
I used this occasion to improve this part of code in RBE which was long overdue. You can use this inofficial version to modify your BIOS. But be careful:

1. How did you extract your BIOS? It's a GDDR5 card but still the BIOS is < 128 kB and therefore, most probably corrupted. Please use most recent versions of GPU-Z or WinFlash to extract your BIOS. For more information, read this.
  2. The new code in the specs string analysis part of RBE is not yet widely tested. After modifying and saving your BIOS, just load it into RBE once again and check the checksums (i.e. compare if both checksums of original BIOS and modified BIOS are alike).

Now enjoy using RBE! :)

mike5

Thank you BAGZZlash!

This is an amazing piece of software. I managed to:
1. enhance the 2D Performance, what was needed, since the original card switches between 240 and 500 GPU and even sometimes 850 in 2D.
2. Reduced the RAM to fully enough constant 900 MHz.
3. Completely redone the fan-profile. Now my card stays silent all the time in 90 percent of usage. I believe my fan-profile is much better than the original! The manufacturer just want to be on the sure side.
Another thought: i strongly believe the original bios is only made to be fine in benchmarks, not to be fine in daily usage.

Again, BAGZZlash. you did a great job!

mike5

mike5

Modified BIOS, works perfect!

:toast:

Attachments

• RV790g.ROM_mike5.zip
    46.2 KB · Views: 376

ViciousXUSMC

Im back with new questions. My last W90 was defective, many units where and I just got my replacment unit yesterday.

I was brave and took the 4870X2 that this unit comes with and tried an experiment. it comes with two 4870M cards in crossfire and one has a master bios and one a slave bios. No matter what we tried we could not get new drivers to work for the cards. So we tried to flash the slave card to a master.

And it worked! It gave us two 4870's in crossfire.

Now the old unit looked like this in Winflash after I flashed both cards to master - http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/3E9O3xdIIpu05_NhufinFA?feat=directlink

the thing to notice here are the "flash type" for both cards is the same.

Now my new unit I got has this - http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zTGe1-EiR9lRlIi9aT30Zw?feat=directlink

The master card for what ever reason has a different flash type now.

Not thinking much of it since the CRC was the same, the bios size was the same, and figuring that the flash type was just the "type of flash" it used but the bios would be the same, I flashed my old modified bios over the new Master and it hung forever and never flashed.

When I rebooted I had the black screen with no video and broke my card.

Luckily i was able to recover. because I had flashed the slave to a master first and even though it was hard as hell I was able to swap the cards around and reflash the original master bios back to the master via atiflash.

Was I just unlucky and had Winflash fail on me or does this "flash type" actually mean something significant? Im almost afraid to mess with it anymore, but I figure if I edit the new bios instead of using my old one and use ATIFlash again that it should work (only was flashing the master to increase the overdrive limit)

john01john

Spin up time----What does that mean?

4 or 2,Which one do you like?

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 501
System Name Ryzen5900X
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 4x G.Skill F4-3600C17D-8GTZ
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Midnight Black
Spin up time----What does that mean?

4 or 2,Which one do you like?
Spin up time is the time the fan gets to spin up. I like 4 because the fan gets a longer spin up cycle when the computer is powering on :)

Hey there,

Haven't really followed this thread in a while.

Can I just ask a very quick question?

Are the custom built 4870 boards still unmoddable via RBE?

Thanks.

System Name Ryzen5900X
Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 AORUS PRO AC
Cooling NZXT Kraken X62
Memory 4x G.Skill F4-3600C17D-8GTZ
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Midnight Black
Hey there,

Haven't really followed this thread in a while.

Can I just ask a very quick question?

Are the custom built 4870 boards still unmoddable via RBE?

Thanks.
Little bit unclear but I think you mean the volt mod? If the card isn't using the right voltage regulators like Volterra VT11xx, then it isnt possible (yet). If you find away todo it with rivatuner etc then report it with all the info you have.

lowkickqop

I flashed my XFX 4890 XXX bios and it went bad. I have been trying to restore the original bios. I have a backup. When I try to boot with the card in it just beeps. I unplugged the card from the pcie slot and plugged it back in and it actually showed up in my windows for a minute then I went into RBE editor and it showed my card but when i hit anaylyze flash windows crashed. I have unplugged it a few times since and cleaned the drivers. It has not showed up again since. Any idea how I can make it show up again? I have tried to use ati flash and followed the tutorial exactly. It did let me into my hard drive where I put the files but now it's saying invalid dir. So what can I do?