• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Game Recommendations - MMO.

K

kyle2020

Hey guys. Recently I have retired from Runescape after many years of play, and am now on the look out for a new MMO to sink my teeth into. I tried WoW, however it failed to really grab my attention. Ive tried a few other games, however nothing seems to be 'right' if you know what I mean.

What does it need to be?

An MMO. I love the atmosphere of playing alongside / against other people, not scripted instances.

Please dont come in and start a flame war / be a pretentious fan boy arse face, or else your posts will get reported. I want decent, truthful recommendations from yourselves. It can be true to life, fantasy, whatever. F2P or P2P, im not fussed.

Just check mmorpg.com, personally I like to try betas. Usually I get sick of them really fast though.

I'm currently hoping STO turns out good.

System Name W.I.P.
MMORPG is the best site regarding MMO games and whatnot imho. They are always giving beta keys away. I will on occasion visit onrpg.com.

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
yeah. mmorpg.com is def a good resource.

To try some good MMO's they don't have to be mainstream ones.

The best FPS/MMO I played was Planetside. I think they are offering a free trial or something.

Eve Online is great for a space-simish type of MMO.

Everquest 2, and Vanguard Saga of Hero's is a little bit different.

Warhammer is definately good for some AWESOME PvP and Realm vs Realm action. Forget the traditional grind. Just jump into the fray of pvp at level 1 it's fun.

Shadow Bane is a free MMO now. It used to be pay but it lost a lot of interest and came out

Dark Ages of Camelot is a lot of fun with a group. Again main focus is Realm vs Realm. But it has a lot of class's/factions to choose from. Make sure you get in a populated server.

Most of these can get free trial's to try out for 10 or 15 Days. That's some main core/off core ones. Try some of those see how it floats your boat.

BETAS:

Huxley isn't a bad Beta right now..it's like a MMO of UT3.

AION has another Beta coming up this weekend. I bought it..have yet to get into a beta, but I hear it's fantastic as of late.

Champions has an online Beta right now through Fileplanet.

Fallen Earth is another PvE MMO thats suppose to be like a giant Fallout i guess..that is released in September as well.

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Cooling Corsair H110I
Case Corsair 900D
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
Can anyone share any insight into Everquest II?

EQ2 is fun. It's more of a PvE type game. Not to much PvP if I recall. It looks great, plays fun..but i do find it boring at times. I would say try the trial version of it.

Combat is pretty cool, they have combo's and there are a TON of area's to explore lot's of skill set's to setup and a ton of class's. I only made it to level 10 before I really just stopped playing with lack of time and i just got bored.

IMO: Trial and error on these MMO's. I've liked nearly every MMO that I have played..but I have either been bored to death with them, or didn't have enough friends or community input to stick around.

Another thread we had: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=85859&highlight=Everquest+2

Processor Intel Core i7 3930k
Motherboard ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
Cooling Custom built watercooling
Memory 32Gigs of Corsair Vengeance LP White 1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD5870
Storage WD Velociraptor 300Gb, Corsair Force GT 120Gb
Display(s) Samsung T220 22" + Benq T905 19" + Samsung 930BF 19"
Case Heavily modded p182
Audio Device(s) Realtek something or other
Power Supply Corsair 600w
Software Windows 8 Pro x64
Shadow Bane is a free MMO now. It used to be pay but it lost a lot of interest and came out

Last I heard, shadowbane was shut down.

I used to play a lot of mmogs but I've lost interest in them, thinking about trying out Warhammer again though cause I really liked the pvp in that game, a lot of teamwork if you join a guild that knows how to rvr :)
you should try it out if you like pvp, really don't know how the pve is though, not my cup of tea.

EVE is good too although it feels like a big spreadsheet at times :)

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Guild Wars

Everquest

Everquest II

Ragnarok Online

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

Star Wars Galaxies

Star Trek Online

Myst Online: Uru Live

The Lord of the Rings Online

Lineage( I,II, III)

EVE Online

City of Heros

City of Villains

Dungeons & Dragons Online: Stormreach

K

kyle2020

Currently dloading Warhammer online (10 day trial), however its 6GB so I can see this being an overnighter. Seems like a more grown up, less rainbow infested WoW, so we'll see how that goes.

System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000
I would like to reccomend you
Atlantica Online (free) turn based strategy/MMOrpg was very addictive liked it very much.
And Perfect World (free) Fantasy/mmorpg

System Name Always changing
Processor Always changing
Motherboard Always changing
Cooling Always changing
Memory Always changing
Video Card(s) Always changing
Storage Always changing
Display(s) Always changing
Case Always changing
Audio Device(s) Always changing
Power Supply Always changing
Mouse Always changing
Keyboard Always changing
Currently dloading Warhammer online (10 day trial), however its 6GB so I can see this being an overnighter. Seems like a more grown up, less rainbow infested WoW, so we'll see how that goes.

I had warhammer for a bit but I got bored very quick.

OrbitzXT

System Name AX-01
Processor Intel Core i5-2500K @3.7 GHz
Motherboard ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
Cooling Zalman 9700
Memory Kingston HyperX T1 Series 8GB DDR3 1600 MHZ
Video Card(s) GTX 590
Storage Intel X25-M
Display(s) 42" Samsung LED HDTV
Case Antec Twelve Hundred
Audio Device(s) HT | OMEGA STRIKER 7.1
Power Supply Kingwin 1000W
Software Windows 7 64-Bit
I played in the beta of Aion, it's going to be a very popular game...though it reminds me a little of WoW so if you didn't care for that you may not be interested in it. Mortal Online coming out later this year looks fun too, it's a sandbox PvP game similar to a title called Darkfall. Darkfall is kind of fun but has (Or had) issues. I played right at the EU launch in February and it was cool but had problems. I think they just launched the NA server a week or two ago and from what I read on the forum they seem to have worked out most of the major issues.

System Name Jaffakeik
Processor I9 12900K
Motherboard MSI Pro B660M-A WIFI DDR4
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II High Performance CPU Water cooler- 240mm
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB (2x16GB) 3600
Video Card(s) 7900XTX gigabyte OC edition
Storage WD Black SN770 1TB SSD M.2 2280 NVME x2
Display(s) TV LG C2
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro 2 Full Tower Case Tempered
Audio Device(s) Mother board + Sennhiser HD650+ Elgato wave xlr + shure SM7B
Power Supply EVGA 1600w G+
Mouse Glorious Model 0
Keyboard Corsair RBG mini K65 + Steelseries Apex150
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores over 9000
I played in the beta of Aion, it's going to be a very popular game...though it reminds me a little of WoW so if you didn't care for that you may not be interested in it. Mortal Online coming out later this year looks fun too, it's a sandbox PvP game similar to a title called Darkfall. Darkfall is kind of fun but has (Or had) issues. I played right at the EU launch in February and it was cool but had problems. I think they just launched the NA server a week or two ago and from what I read on the forum they seem to have worked out most of the major issues.

I got preoder on this game.played beta aswell

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I really liked Vanguard Saga of Heroes (the way it was supposed to be anyways), but it was plagued with problems, glitches, connectivity issues and whatnot when it was released and months thereafter. An incredible disappointment for pay per month game and refunds should of been issued. I'm sure the game is pretty polished by now.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
I can't say a ton, but Champions Online, go pre-order it from a Gamestop, if you do you get into beta (starts on August 17th). Game releases on the 1st, and is freaking awesome(Marneborn will tell you the samething and he hates MMO's, lol), wish I could say more.

K

kyle2020

Ok so this champions online looks mighty promising, Ill have to look in to the beta.

*edit*

Right I think im going to pre order Champions, ive looked up the site and watched some videos / read some info and it seems a cracking game.

Last edited by a moderator:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Its really a great game. I have played WoW, AoC, EQ, EQ II, Vanguard, LotRO, Eve, CoH/CoV and a few F2P MMO's. This sounds like CoH/CoV, but is just far more polished and action oriented, you can run and gun very easily, or fly and gun (ws very fun) The class structure is very cool, as you can mix and match, or stick to what they recommend. And each of the classes is pretty different even though there is I think 12 of them. It's very easy to make a very cool looking character, and the travel ability's are flat out cool. It really feels like you are a comic book character, once you pass the intro zone you get your travel ability and your first shot at new attacks and then it just becomes a blast.

I gotta pick up my Open Beta key, once Open Beta starts I'll toss up some really sweet images that me and Marine took.

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Cooling Corsair H110I
Case Corsair 900D
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10

Join the server Badlands, and order. I'll help you out best I can on it. In a guild with 300+ members that are mostly active.

Deusxmachina

There's plenty of nice ones out there.

Played the Warhammer beta. Pretty decent, but I had the feeling I played the game before (most other mmos).

EQ2, I know I *should* really like it, but I couldn't quite put my finger on why it was ho-hum. And then I read a comment about it say, "EQ2 puts so much effort into not doing anything wrong that it often fails to do anything right." It's a well-put-together game, but it's just... meh. (to me.) It has pretty much everything a fantasy mmo could want, but it just wasn't that exciting or fun (to me).

Doesn't help that the world itself looks bland. I mean, say what you want about WoW with its low-end graphics and all that, but the world is generally at least interesting to look at.

Lord of the Rings sort of feels like a polished WoW in Middle-Earth with sharper graphics. Questing is encouraged more than grinding, and that's always a plus in my book. Very polished game, lots of LOTR lore in it.

Vanguard. XP death penalty aside, (lame. I don't want to be "hardcore" in a game), it feels like a cross between the "fun" world of WoW with a bit more seriousness of EQ2. The classes are interesting, and the world is Huge, (check the screenshot thread for a few recent pics). It's hard to explain these things sometimes... it just has that certain "it" to it that I like more than some other games' "its".

Check this guy's Vanguard videos. Here's the dungeon one.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x4au-ih5G4

City of Heroes. Looks boring, but then people start slinging powers around, and the game changes. I would have played it for a week just to run around using the Travel Powers. The quests used to be almost literally "all the same," but I read recently there a some really good player-created quests, so maybe they'll help keep interest.

Dungeons and Dragons Online goes free-to-play in September. Combat feels more like a fast-paced third-person shooter game than a typical mmo. If someone is shooting arrows at your buddy, you can stand in front of him to block them. Want a "non-WoW-clone" game that's geared for PVE and grouping? There you go. And DDO has the best dungeons in the business. It'll be free next month, so whether you like it or not, the price is right. Love DDO. Very underrated, imo.

Here's a good vid of how "alive" DDO feels compared to most mmos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EteW9RwD90U

Eve Online. Seems like an mmo you play while you're busy doing other things at the computer. :confused:

Arciks mentioned two of the three best, currently-free ones that usually make that list. With the third being Rune of Magic. Wizards 101 seems to be high on people's fun lists, too, and is something different.

A great thing about these is you could play the trials of all of these, and your gaming would be taken care of for months.

K

kyle2020

Thank you Deus, DDo looks very good, and going back to Arcicks list, Atlantica online looks quite tidy too. Warhammer is patching now but Im always willing to download trials / beta's / F2P games, so keep the recommendations coming :toast:

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
Cooling Watercooled
Hopefully your WAR patch doesn't error out. I patched mine almost all the way and it got some error at the end. I sent their tech support an email, and they never got back to me, I was hoping they would within the 10 day period, but it's now been a month and a half and they haven't responded :( I was hoping to try it out myself.

Also matters what your looking for, like Eve Online, I couldnt find much info on it, so I gave it a shot, then got in game and wondered how I got out of my ship, lol. I'm not much into flight games, so just wasn't for me.

Atlantica I believe is a turn based game. Also if your looking for good trials, anyone who is into MMO's should try out AoC. The graphics are better than most SP games, the classes are different than anything else out there, and the combat system is a lot of fun.