• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Windows 7 Upgrade from Vista - fail

So, previously I have dual booted Vista with Windows 7 beta and RC. While I didn't notice a huge difference between Vista and Windows 7, there is some little piece of me that bought into all the "Windows 7 smokes Vista" talk. So naturally, as soon as Windows 7 Pro became available on MSDNAA, I downloaded it. Today I spent about 3 hours upgrading from Vista Business to Windows 7 Pro, and as I finally login to the Windows 7, I see a horrifying message "Windows Explorer has stopped responding" with an option to restart it/debug. If this was a one time thing I may have shrugged it off, but then the horrible message popups again, and again, and again. Although I removed any software that the installation said was incompatible, I decide that maybe this error could be caused by something I have running. So, I uninstall my A/V and firewall, and clean up anything in startup.

I reboot, and once again, am greeted with multiple warnings about windows explorer not responding. At which point I decided, screw it, and am now restoring Windows Vista from an Acronis True Image backup. 1 hour and 50 minutes to go, yipee.

Now I find myself sitting here wondering why I wanted to upgrade in the first place... :shadedshu

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Don't do upgrades, do a clean install.

Processor AMD PHENOM 9950BE x4 (140W)
Motherboard ASUS CROSSHAIR II (BIOS 2003)
Cooling ZALMAN 9700L
Memory 4GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR 1066 (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) XFX 9600GT XXX (740/1000)
Storage WD250x2 RAID0/Maxtor 500GB STORAGE
Display(s) SAMSUNG 23"/ACER 20"
Case COOLMASTER 690 CUSTOM
Audio Device(s) SUPREME FX II
Power Supply OCZ 700W
Software WINDOWS 7 64
what newtekie said, it takes what, 20-30 mins to install win7. same with programs and drivers, Never install over the top of old ones.

~meow

mikek75

System Name As easy as falling off a lorry
Processor Core I5 2500K auto tuned to 4.2ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P
Cooling Corsair H80 sealed water cooler
Memory 16gb Gskill Ripjawz 1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6970 2GB
Storage Corsair 120GB Force 3 SSD, OCZ 60 GB Agility 3 SSD, Seagate 500GB, 2x80gb Maxtors
Display(s) DELL 2309w 23" Widescreen 1920x1080+ LG M2294D 22" 1680x1050 LCDtv/monitor
Case Zalman Z9 Plus
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Fatal1ty Pro
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling 750w Silencer Quad PCIe
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
This is why I never "upgrade" an existing OS, I always go for a clean install. Too many variables otherwise, too hard to troubleshoot.

iStink

System Name The beast
Processor E6600@ 3.4
Motherboard P5W DH Deluxe
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120
Memory 3GB G.Sill DDR2-800
Video Card(s) 8800GT @ 700/975
Storage (1)80GB With XP, (1) 320GB storage
Display(s) 205BW & 710N
Case XClio Windtunnel (I love it)
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply OCZ gamerXStream 700W
If the option was guaranteed to break your pc, why include it?

LOL it's Ms dude, what can you do?

Even if it didn't break it, it's still not as good as doing a fresh install.

Sorry for your troubles.

what newtekie said, it takes what, 20-30 mins to install win7. same with programs and drivers, Never install over the top of old ones.

~meow

20-30 mins to install it sure, but about a week to transfer all my programs/games (there is a reason I have a 1.2 TB RAID 0 array).

Yeah like he said, and do a backup of everything b4 that with maybe an external drive, so you can keep your files and programs

If I was going to do that, I'd do the same thing as when I went to Vista from XP, which is dual boot, and slowly transfer stuff over from the old partition as I need it. Trouble with that is its a huge pain. If I had 20/20 hindsight though, I'd probably do it that way eh?

D

Deleted member 67555

I was more saying, why would I want a RAID1 setup right now? RAID1 just mirrors , it doesn't make backups.
absolutely true, I'm not sure how it works completely as i'm just learning about the different raid setups but say you took 2 drives put them into raid0 and then installed W7 wouldn't you be able to get whatever files you need from the other 2 drives, and please if i got that wrong I need to no,as i said just now learning that stuff

absolutely true, I'm not sure how it works completely as i'm just learning about the different raid setups but say you took 2 drives put them into raid0 and then installed W7 wouldn't you be able to get whatever files you need from the other 2 drives, and please if i got that wrong I need to no,as i said just now learning that stuff

No, the second drive would have exactly the files as the first drive. RAID1 is just for data security, aka, the first drive fails, you still have the second drive, with the same data. Sorta like, real-time backups if you want to think about it that way.

D

Deleted member 67555

No, the second drive would have exactly the files as the first drive. RAID1 is just for data security, aka, the first drive fails, you still have the second drive, with the same data. Sorta like, real-time backups if you want to think about it that way.
yeah exactly and W7 would see Vista as Windows old and allow you to import those files to be reinstalled on your new setup, then you could format the other drives that still had vista and copied those files to those drives to setup raid1 again, not sure yes/no

yeah exactly and W7 would see Vista as Windows old and allow you to import those files to be reinstalled on your new setup, then you could format the other drives that still had vista and copied those files to those drives to setup raid1 again, not sure yes/no

I don't know you'd have to explain better. How many drives, what partitions, etc. Not sure what you mean at this point...

D

Deleted member 67555

I don't know you'd have to explain better. How many drives, what partitions, etc. Not sure what you mean at this point...

say 4 750gb hd's 2 sets of 2 drives for 1.2 tb (not sure if it's still called raid 0 1 5 etc...)
I'm not peeing on ya, I'm just sick of the same poo to, and figured maybe i can get it figured out on your post since only I only got like 5 responses on my very similar post, basically asking how to avoid what you just went through, and basically got the same answer hoping maybe you or somebody will answer that knows for sure

say 4 750gb hd's 2 sets of 2 drives for 1.2 tb (not sure if it's still called raid 0 1 5 etc...)
I'm not peeing on ya, I'm just sick of the same poo to, and figured maybe i can get it figured out on your post since only I only got like 5 responses on my very similar post, basically asking how to avoid what you just went through, and basically got the same answer hoping maybe you or somebody will answer that knows for sure

Like I said earlier, the easiest way is probably just to make a new partition for Windows 7, then copy whatever you need over from the Vista partition. This can be done without RAID of any kind.

D

Deleted member 67555

Like I said earlier, the easiest way is probably just to make a new partition for Windows 7, then copy whatever you need over from the Vista partition. This can be done without RAID of any kind.
yeah but i want setup like raid0 with raid1 and i need to no if it works like that, sorry like i said i'm kinda intruding on your post, but I'm thinking of 4 hd's in 2 sets of 2 with raid0 performance and raid1 security so when i update to W7 that doesn't happen to me

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
That is the beauty of a clean install, you get rid of all the garbage you have installed. I highly doubt you actually use anywhere near all 1.2TB of programs/games.

D

Deleted member 67555

That is the beauty of a clean install, you get rid of all the garbage you have installed. I highly doubt you actually use anywhere near all 1.2TB of programs/games.
Oh I wish the mrs seen it that way

D

Deleted member 67555

So can you just partition your drives on raid0 yes/no and just go with 2hd's and do what i'm thinking

No, only about 70% of it. :laugh: Also, the only reason I even considered upgrading is because Windows 7 seems so close to Vista, you wouldn't think upgrading would be that complicated.

So can you just partition your drives on raid0 yes/no and just go with 2hd's and do what i'm thinking

Yes, that is what I did going from XP to Vista.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I can't imagine you have anywhere close to 1TB of programs/games installed. Are you including the disc images? Or just the program files themselves? And I really can't image you use them all either...

I can't imagine you have anywhere close to 1TB of programs/games installed. Are you including the disc images? Or just the program files themselves? And I really can't image you use them all either...

I have an o/s partition and media partition. The o/s partition is 650 gigs, of which I'm using ~70%.

Also, I've always frowned on upgrades, but like I said, I figured I'd give it a go, since ya know I thought maybe ms had made some advances. I have scheduled backups of the o/s partition, so I just manually made one. I even told my friend "I'm going to make a full backup first just in case Windows decides to be Windows".

So yes, in retrospect, I should have done clean install. I just figured I'd share my experience in case anyone else was considering trying an upgrade.

Update: Now posting from restored Vista, gotta love Acronis True Image (although it could be a little quicker).

Last edited: