• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Logitech Unveils Mice That Work Where Others Fail

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Today, Logitech took the computer mouse where no mouse has gone before. With Logitech Darkfield Laser Tracking, you can use your mouse virtually anywhere you want - including clear glass (that's at least 4 mm thick) and high-gloss surfaces. This new technology is available in the Logitech Performance Mouse MX and the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX, giving you the option of a full-size mouse or a more compact, notebook mouse.

Logitech research showed that 40 percent of people have a glass surface in their home. This coupled with the increase in the popularity of laptop computers, means that people are moving around and coming into contact with a multitude of surfaces - like granite and lacquered wood - that challenge the tracking capabilities of standard mice.

"Laptops have gained popularity in the last several years because of the freedom they afford - people today want to be able to connect to their digital world anytime, anywhere. However, until now, no mouse has been able to match that flexibility," said Rory Dooley, Logitech's senior vice president and general manager of the Control Devices business unit. "Thanks to Logitech Darkfield, whether you're checking the morning news from the granite counter top in your kitchen or at work manipulating a spreadsheet from your glass desk, you can be confident that your Logitech mouse will be up to the task."

Breaking the Glass Barrier
A pioneer in the development of the computer mouse in the 1980s, Logitech has enthusiastically driven nearly every major innovation in mouse technology - persistently refining this ubiquitous interface between people and their digital experiences. From laser tracking to hyper-fast scrolling to the Plug-and-Forget Nano-receiver, Logitech has dedicated itself to creating ways to help you get more out of your computing experience. The latest in this line of innovations, Logitech Darkfield opens up new possibilities for when and where you can use your mouse.

Regular laser tracking technology relies on the ability of the mouse's sensor to detect the textural details of the surface. The more irregularities a surface exhibits, the easier it is for the sensor to identify reference points that it can use to accurately measure motion. However, because high-gloss surfaces such as glass are almost completely flat, there are not enough details for a typical laser mouse's sensor to detect.

To track on glass (that's at least 4 mm thick), Logitech Darkfield uses dark field microscopy to detect microscopic particles and micro-scratches on these surfaces, rather than tracking the surface itself. Similar to the way in which our eye sees the clear night sky, the mouse's sensor sees the clean areas of glass as a dark background with bright dots - the dust. Then, the sensor interprets the movement of these dots to track exactly where you've moved the mouse.

Logitech Performance Mouse MX, Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX
Because choice is important, this new technology is available on a full-size mouse as well as a more compact, notebook mouse. However, both mice are designed to put you in control of your digital world. Both models feature hyper-fast scrolling, so you can fly through long documents with ease, while click-to-click mode gives you more precision when navigating lists, photos and slideshows.

With the full-size Logitech Performance Mouse MX, you have the power to get the job done. The sculpted, right-handed shape gives you the comfort you need, while the flexible micro-USB charging system lets you recharge your mouse through your computer or a wall outlet - even while you're using it. To make you more productive, four customizable thumb buttons put your most important controls - like application switching and zooming - at your fingertips. And, force-sensitive side-to-side scrolling (software enabled) - a first in any Logitech mouse - lets you quickly navigate around Web pages.

Thanks to its compact size, the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX works wherever you do and a travel pouch helps protect the mouse while in-transit. The contoured shape fits naturally into most hands and back and forward buttons, placed within reach of your thumb, help you surf the Web efficiently.

In addition to providing unsurpassed cursor control, both of the new Logitech mice feature the recently announced Logitech Unifying receiver. The tiny wireless receiver stays in your notebook, so there's no need to unplug it when you move around. Plus, you can easily add up to five other compatible Logitech keyboards and mice to the single receiver, including the recently announced Logitech Keyboard K350, Logitech Keyboard K340, Logitech Marathon Mouse M705 and the Logitech Wireless Mouse M505.

Pricing and Availability
The Logitech Performance Mouse MX is expected to be available in the U.S. and Europe beginning in August for a suggested retail price of $99.99 (U.S.). The Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX is expected to be available in the U.S. and Europe beginning in August for a suggested retail price of $79.99 (U.S.).

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
40% of people have a glass surface in their home...
more like 100%. windows, biatch!

seems good. i hope this makes it into more mice, as we can always use more surfaces for them to work on.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
So they're charging an obscene amount for something that an el cheapo mouse that I purchased 3 years ago can do? The mouse I'm talking about is the Cyber Snipa Intelliscope, worked fine on my garden table with a glass surface when I went outside for a bit of gaming on the lappy, granted the table was exposed to the northern weather so the surface was a little rough but still. Solution looking for a problem if you ask me.
@Mussels Sure it's good that they can use mice on more surfaces but really what is the issue here? You won't be using these mice for gaming anyway so it negates the main advantage of being able to use any surface (any surface means just using the table as a giant mouse pad).

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Charging an obscene amount for new technology.

So they're charging an obscene amount for something that an el cheapo mouse that I purchased 3 years ago can do? The mouse I'm talking about is the Cyber Snipa Intelliscope, worked fine on my garden table with a glass surface when I went outside for a bit of gaming on the lappy, granted the table was exposed to the northern weather so the surface was a little rough but still. Solution looking for a problem if you ask me.
@Mussels Sure it's good that they can use mice on more surfaces but really what is the issue here? You won't be using these mice for gaming anyway so it negates the main advantage of being able to use any surface (any surface means just using the table as a giant mouse pad).

Only gamers are allowed to have fancy glass/glossy furniture? Is that a new law or something?

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
No just you lose the advantage of being able to use an incredibly large mousing surface. Average users would be much better served by buying a 20p mouse mat (yes it's possible, Tesco does them) and a far cheaper mouse, a piece of paper will usually accompany a laptop wherever it goes so even that will do with a flat surface.

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
A new MX Rev pretty much, this is what I been waiting for, maybe a reason to finally buy another mouse.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
No just you lose the advantage of being able to use an incredibly large mousing surface. Average users would be much better served by buying a 20p mouse mat (yes it's possible, Tesco does them) and a far cheaper mouse, a piece of paper will usually accompany a laptop wherever it goes so even that will do with a flat surface.

Mouse pads looks like shit, and I hate using them. The point of buying an optical mouse, IMO, is to NOT have to use a mouse pad.

This is great for anyone that has a glass desk and an optical mouse. I know it took me a while to find a mouse that would work on my girlfriends glass desk, the G7 works perfectly already though, so no need to buy this mouse for me...

Kitkat

sounds cool but wot am i supose to do with the "5000" USB ports boards come with now lol

Mouse pads looks like shit, and I hate using them. The point of buying an optical mouse, IMO, is to NOT have to use a mouse pad.

This is great for anyone that has a glass desk and an optical mouse. I know it took me a while to find a mouse that would work on my girlfriends glass desk, the G7 works perfectly already though, so no need to buy this mouse for me...

mmm not really u buy a good mouse cause u want a good acurate mouse. You buy a mousepad so you can choose your surface and it never changes. After buying a great mousepad (stealseries SX) i can say its worth the invistment. When u think of mousepad right off you think of that puppy one your aunt got for u from costco, or thethe one u used 10 years ago with a ball mouse. None of the profesional ones look "like shit" or go to shit, if u get the right one. I have a G9 it works on glass too but dosnt mean i want that surface and its not why i bought it.