• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EnergyFX's Thermaltake Soprano RS build

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Motherboard AsRork x370 Taichi
Cooling EK Custom Loop - CPU only
Memory 32gb G-Skill Trident Z
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 Superclock 2
Storage Too Many
Display(s) Viewsonic VX2450WM-LED 24" & LG 32 IPS
Case Cooler Master Cosmos II
Power Supply Cooler Master V1000
Mouse SteelSeries Rival 500
Software Win10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i5 750 4.62ghz pi runs // Evga FTW p55
Reno?? Hell, the place that cut this is in Vegas. Pololu Robotics. I drew up my idea in Google SketchUp (because it is so stupid simple to use). I then used a demo version of Corel Draw to redraw it (using all my dimensions from SketchUp) as a .svg file Pololu to use.

As for powdercoating... you can save a lot of money if you aren't in a hurry. Powdercoat shops will often give you a big break if you tell them that you can wait for them to put your part in the oven with a bigger order. For example, a shop here quoted me about $150 to powder coat this case on a deadline, but they could do it for about $50 if they could combine it with a larger order (read "no deadline").

LOL, that was with me waiting for them to get a black order to throw my stuff in with.. Vegas would be sweet as there is a ton of business competition but its way too dam hot for me there...

Thats how I know how to do so much stuff, Im just too dam cheap to pay anyone else to do it for me:laugh:

Thanks for showing this, its gonna help a lot of people..

Yep, going to help me! :toast:

Thanks EFX! MK, lets just have a full condo rented there.. a few bed rooms!?

System Name n.audBl
Processor E8500 @ 3.80GHz
Motherboard ASUS Striker Extreme
Cooling Full liquid (everything except power supply)
Memory 4Gb OCZ DDR2 PC9600
Video Card(s) Dual EVGA GTX 280 SSC Edition
Storage Dual WD Raptor in RAID 0 (300Gb), Dual WD 1Tb Cavair in RAID 1
Display(s) Dell 2407 24" HD+ Widescreen
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Fata1ty (bleh!)
Power Supply Ultra X3 1000W
Software Win 7 64bit
So I spent tonight working on the trim for the front panel. I wanted a total thickness of 1 inch for the front panel but I only want 1/2 an inch of overlap on the acrylic. Unfortunately Home Depot doesn't stock 1x1/2 angle aluminum so I had to go with 1x1 and trim half an inch off one side. MK, you'll be proud to know I used snips to accomplish this. Cutting 1/16" thick aluminum along a 4 foot line 'bout killed my forearm! But, with patience, concentration, and focus I was able to cut an impressively straight line with very little distortion of the trim piece. I dare say the cut was tremendously straighter than it would have been had I used my normal method with a dremel.

After that it was a lot of time spent taking measurements and making marks on the trim piece where I would need to make the cuts. I used a quality adjustable straightedge (that also had a 45 degree surface) to ensure my marks were at precisely 45 degrees. I drilled a 1/8" hole at the apex of the marks and then again used the snips to cut out the notches.

After a little bit of filing to clean up the notches I used a hand held seamer to help control the trim as I made the bends. This took a bit of finesse since I didn't want definite creases at the corners. The Soprano top panel has slightly rounded edges so I want the front panel to follow that design.

I folded the trim over until my notch cuts touched each other. For every corner this occurred slightly shy of a true 90 degree bend. Why I'm not quite sure but I suspect is had something to do with the thickness of the material and the fact that I bent the corners slightly rounded. I just happen to have a set of hobby files with a very thin straight file in it. I used the thin file to open the corner up a little more. Each session open the gap between the notch cuts by about 3/64". This allowed me to tighten the bend a bit more each time until I achieved a perfect 90 degree corner.

Two top bends complete.

And after another round of measuring, marking, cutting notches, bending, filing, bending, filing, bending, filing, etc......... here is the piece with all four corners bent. I haven't quite figured out what to do with the gap at the bottom. I knew from the beginning that this gap would exist since the aluminum was only 4 feet long to start with. The case is 17" tall by 7 7/8" wide so a four foot trim piece comes up a couple of inches short. The obvious solution is to simply cut a 2 inch piece to fill the gap, but I'm kicking around a few ideas to maybe incorporate some sort of a name plate for that area... perhaps a case badge mounting surface or something like that.

Overall I was able to achieve exactly 17" height, but I overshot the width by about 1/16". I haven't quite decided if this is acceptable to me yet. It's a lot of work to do over for a mere 1/16"... and what's to say I won't miss the mark again.

I haven't quite decided if I want to have the corners welded or just do it myself with JB weld. Either way, the gap at the corners and the joints on whatever I decide to do with the bottom gap will eventually be filled in, filed, and sanded smooth. The plan for now is to have the trim piece texture powder coated to match the rest of the case. Paint would be simple, but considering it is the front panel it will be very exposed to getting bumped. Since it is made of aluminum I just see a lot of chips showing up.

Here are some more shots of the trim piece with the acrylic in place. I had to do a bit of sanding on the edges of the acrylic. I originally designed the acrylic without yet intending to use a trim piece around it so the thickness of the trim piece had to be sanded off the edge.

Here are a couple of shots to show how perfectly the acrylic fits into the trim piece.

And finally, here is the image I have been working on for the past two weeks! I'm just so pleased at how this is turning out. When I started this project I never would have imagined I would end up fabricating a custom front panel like this.

Last edited:

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
That looks REALLY good Energy. Now, is this build still for the wife? Or, have you taken it over?

:laugh:

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
That looks REALLY good Energy. Now, is this build still for the wife? Or, have you taken it over?

:laugh:

It is still very much hers. Look at it this way... I'm just developing my skills for MY next case :D:D:D

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
ahhh, even sweeter!! Another build!

:toast:

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
Alright, well it's off to bed for me.

I'll probably do some detail filing/sanding on the trim piece tonight. Maybe I'll SketchUp some ideas for what to do with the bottom gap. If anyone has any suggestions or cool ideas please speak up.

Before I go I wanna say thanks to everyone that is following this build. Sharing my work with the forum is definitely holding me to a higher standard.

As for my fellow modders... you all have some tremendous talent and each of you has your own very unique style. I can only hope that I am contributing an idea or two to repay the volumes of ideas you all have given me.

Notable shoutout to:
Steelkane, ColdStorm, MKmods, and Castiel (edit: oh yeah, ChickenPattie too... I'm hungry lol, that reminded me)

Last edited:
System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
very nice work my friend im very jelous of your skills:p, maybe some sort of light projector at the bottom shining an image or words on the floor just below your case. It will fill the gap, look great and im shore that if you do everything else youve done it wouldnt be to hard for you to make such a device:D

Ryo129

Processor 2500k
Motherboard Maximus IV Extreme
Cooling Corsair A50
Memory Samsung 2x4gb DDR3
Video Card(s) Unlocked PNY 465 ( 470 )
Power Supply OCZ Modxtreme 600w
if you turn the trim peice upside down you coul add a logo or embellish it

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
... maybe some sort of light projector at the bottom shining an image or words on the floor just below your case. It will fill the gap, look great and im shore that if you do everything else youve done it wouldnt be to hard for you to make such a device:D
Interesting idea... I'll have to consider that... especially since the case will be elevated a couple of inches when I get the casters mounted.

if you turn the trim peice upside down you coul add a logo or embellish it
Hadn't thought of that. There isn't exactly a whole lot of room up top though. On the bottom there is that large gap between the trim and the bottom part of the fan.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
Thanks a lot for that post EFX :respect:

Its really cool to see people paying attention when I babble...One other thing, looking at the pict of the tools I had to smile as we seen to be using the same tools...

Excellent job on the angle frame:rockout:

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
Thanks a lot for that post EFX :respect:

Its really cool to see people paying attention when I babble...One other thing, looking at the pict of the tools I had to smile as we seen to be using the same tools...
http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo142/Partspicts/Picture529.jpg

Excellent job on the angle frame:rockout:

Heh heh. The seamer is a new addition to my tool family. The snips I have had for a while... just never use them.

Malco makes a nice handheld nothcer I want to get.

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
Alright... the mess and clutter is getting out of control. Time to clean shop.

8/17/2009 -- The day EnergyFX kicks his addiction of saving boxes for every piece of hardware. :(

Cold Storm

Battosai
System Name Haro
Processor AMD 1700x
Storage Too Many
Software Win10 Pro
Alright... the mess and clutter is getting out of control. Time to clean shop.

8/17/2009 -- The day EnergyFX kicks his addiction of saving boxes for every piece of hardware. :(

Bro, you gotta see behind my couch! It looks like world war 3 box wise! With everything going on like it is!!

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
By the way, if anyone has had their eye on one of the new Aerocool Touch series fan controllers... let me just say that they are VERY nice.

I got a Touch 2000 for this rig and I've been drooling over it ever since I opened the box. Aerocool stepped their game WAY up on these. The front fascia is a 3/64" thick brushed aluminum plate. The screen is gorgeous and the touch sensitivity is perfect, not too sensitive, not too numb... just right.

If I had any complaint it would be that the controller doesn't back the fan speed off quite enough at min setting... but this is only if you are using high RPM fans. The viewing angle of the screen could be a bit wider as well. Too bad Aerocool didn't incorporate a contrast adjustment.

On the Touch 2000 the audio, USB, and E-SATA connection ports only add to the sweetness... especially in my case where I modded the front connections out of my case.

Here's some pics:

System Name Project [E]
Processor AMD Ryzen 3500x @ 4.2 Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aurous Pro
Cooling Air cooled
Memory 16 Gb Crucial Ballstix @ 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 3060
Storage 500 GB Crucial NVME, 500 GB Crucial Bx500
Display(s) 27" Acer 1440p
Case Caselabs
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 1000 Watt Cooler Master Gold
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard TT Esports Mechanical
Software Windows 10
Nice I like that...I like the use of the black flat wires as well..

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
Thats a sexy addon for the drive bays, I might have to keep that in mind for my case.

kickbass4777

the whole thing looks great. what did you have in mind for that top panel im going to send you ? out of curiousity

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
Quick update (sorry, no pics this time).

So I got the rig all taken apart (again). Hopefully this will be the last time. I started to mount the casters on the bottom but didn't like how flimsy the floor of the case felt. So I am working on reinforcing the floor with a sheet of acrylic. This will not only beef up the floor and provide a much strudier mount for the casters, but will also clean and dress up the floor quite a bit. I will baint the back side of the acrylic with the same red that is seen elsewhere in the build.

I have also been working on a different reservoir setup that I think will be much nicer and more practical.

I've had lots of deliveries of little things like allen head bolts of various sizes (made the mistake of ordering 2-56 threaded screws... holy crap they are tiny!), aluminum standoffs for mounting the new front panel, and some led strips for accent lighting.

Grainger ended up pissing me off and making me happy all at the same time. I placed an online order with them and they sent me an e-mail the next day saying they are a wholesale operation and they would need a copy of my business liscense before they can sell to me. This sucked since they had the standoffs I really wanted. The nuts and bolts I ordered through them weren't an issue since I can find them elsewhere, but the standoffs aren't that easy to find. So anyways, I spent half of the next day (when I should have been asleep) scouring the interwebnet for more 8-32 dual female standoffs at 5/8" length. After being told no by several places (since I am not a business) I finally came across one place that sympathized with me. Initially the sales consultant told me "no" but was nice enough to make the sale after I whined to her for a few seconds about having such a hell of a time getting service as a simple hobbiest. So she sold me the standoffs, but not the size I really wanted since I was limited to what they had in stock. Ok... I know this is getting long, but stay with me cause here comes the best part... THE NEXT FRIGGIN DAY A GRAINGER BOX SHOWS UP ON MY DOORSTEP WITH EVERYTHING I ORDERED FROM THEM!!! Oh well, at least I got the stuff I really wanted, but ended up wasting money and a bunch of time on standoffs I won't use now.

So, that's where I am now. I'm still getting stuff done, just don't have any pictures to show for it right now.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
will 8-32 screws work?

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
I'm using 8-32 for mounting most everything, but 8-32 is far too big for the 40mm fans. Even 6-32 is too big for the 40mms.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
I have had good luck (so far) drilling out mobos and video card PCBs to accept larger screws (normal size is 6-32)
I know one day I will be pushing my luck though...:laugh:

Congrats on getting ur hardware..

System Name n.audBl
Case Theraltake Tai-Chi
Software Win 7 64bit
I'm kind of considering using socket head shoulder screws on some of the MB mounts and then using the shoulder section as a tie post for cable managment. There is no room to work with behind the MB tray for cable managment so all cabling will have to be visible.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
Cooling Air
Case Custom
sounds like a really nice detail.

Processor Intel Core i7 3770 @4.1 GHZ
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo
Memory 16GB Kingston DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Asus R9 380 Strix Direct CU 2GB
Storage Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500GB
Display(s) Samsung 24" Wide LED S24D300HS
Case Thermaltake Versa H24
Audio Device(s) Onboard VIA
Power Supply Corsair VS650
Mouse Logitech M-U0007
Keyboard Logitech G11
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 7443 3DMark Firestrike
It all looks great, and I love that fan controller too.