• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Need a link: Timer circuit/device to keep fans running after shutdown

CyberDruid

System Name Shop Dog
Processor E8400
Motherboard Asus Blitz Formula SE
Cooling d-Tek FuZion
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 G Skill
Video Card(s) EVGA 7900 GTX
Storage 150GB VelociRaptor
Display(s) Acer 21.5 1080p LED Back Lit Monitor
Case Working on it
Audio Device(s) PCI SoundMax
Power Supply Silverstone 750 Modular
Software XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 11.56s 1M at 4050mhz
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you electronic savants could point me in the right direction: I want to build or buy a simple timer that will integrate into a cooling set up to keep the fans running for a minute or so after shut down.

Ideally I would like it to run the cooling fans a minute before startup and a minute after shutdown.

I was thinking something like a couple of relays, the momentary switch (FP power) would close the relay to the fan power (seperate from the PSU) then a minute later a second relay would trip momentarily to start the PC. Then to the second pattern: the momentary would shutdown the PC directly (or trip that relay momentarily) start the timer and a minute later it would open the second relay to stop the cooling fans.

Any ideas or link? Seems like it would be a simple breadboard circuit.

T

twilyth

The standard micro controller timer is the 555 timer IC. You vary the output time (in monostable mode) by changing the capacitor.

I've never actually tried it myself though. It seems a little odd to set the timing by resistor and capacitor, but you said you wanted simple. :p

if you know any programming languages like c (no fuckin' + # &^*), basic, etc. there are full fledged microcontrollers that you can get for like $5-10 bucks. Check out the Nuts and Volts site for ideas

pbmaster

Processor AMD Phenom II 955
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III Formula
Cooling Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler, 120 mm and 200 mm exhaust, 3 x 120 mm intake
Memory 4 GB OCZ DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon HD 4890
Storage Western Digital 500 GB Blacks in RAID 0/ Wesdtern Digital SE16 250 GB
Display(s) Acer 19" widescreen
Case Antec Nine Hundred
Audio Device(s) Supreme X-Fi
Power Supply Seasonic M12 SS-700HM
Software Windows Vista Home Premium x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3dMark 03-~62k 3dMark 05-~22k 3dMark 06-18268
Interesting idea you have. I think Enermax did the same thing with their Ininiti line of PSU's, except it just kept the fans running after shutdown. Theory was to completely vent all the hot air rather than have it build up in the case.

KH0UJ

System Name Air Cooled Gaming / Shop PC
Processor AMD Athlon II X2 Regor 250
Motherboard Asus M4A78 plus
Cooling Air Cooled (Upward Airflow)
Memory Corsair Dominator PC-8500 2GB 1066 MHZ
Video Card(s) Palit GTS 250 E-Green
Storage Hitachi Deskstar 160 GB
Display(s) Samsung EX2020 20 inch LED
Case Wooden Case Painted and Modified
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC887 8 Channel (Onboard)
Power Supply Orion HP 585D X2 Dual Modified PSU (585W+585W)
Software Windows XP SP3 / Windows 7 32 bit
Hey guys I was wondering if any of you electronic savants could point me in the right direction: I want to build or buy a simple timer that will integrate into a cooling set up to keep the fans running for a minute or so after shut down.

Ideally I would like it to run the cooling fans a minute before startup and a minute after shutdown.

I was thinking something like a couple of relays, the momentary switch (FP power) would close the relay to the fan power (seperate from the PSU) then a minute later a second relay would trip momentarily to start the PC. Then to the second pattern: the momentary would shutdown the PC directly (or trip that relay momentarily) start the timer and a minute later it would open the second relay to stop the cooling fans.

Any ideas or link? Seems like it would be a simple breadboard circuit.

are you using an independent PSU just for the fans sir:confused: if so, then you can use the time delay module for the A/C contactor, 2 pc. 12V mini relays, turn on the PSU for fans then after a minute (depending on what you set 3 seconds- 5 minutes) it turns on the main rig,

if you`re interested im gonna draw the whole simple circuit after work:)

but first im gonna need the total fan`s amperage so that you`re gonna use a small transformer with bridge diodes and a capacitor so that its compact.
here`s a link if you wanna build the timer circuit: http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/relaytim2.asp

ived used these technique on all my assembled repeater modules before to control the delay lines on the transmit:laugh:

Last edited:

CyberDruid

System Name Shop Dog
Processor E8400
Motherboard Asus Blitz Formula SE
Cooling d-Tek FuZion
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 G Skill
Video Card(s) EVGA 7900 GTX
Storage 150GB VelociRaptor
Display(s) Acer 21.5 1080p LED Back Lit Monitor
Case Working on it
Audio Device(s) PCI SoundMax
Power Supply Silverstone 750 Modular
Software XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 11.56s 1M at 4050mhz

KH0UJ

Here it is sir:) its still partial:ohwell:, I keep it simple with only transistor and a capacitor that makes a delay in the OFF scenario(3 seconds to 2 minutes), im still figuring out how to delay the ON scenario:eek:

how many seconds do you want on the ON scenario sir?

First turn ON the switch to turn ON the fans relay then XXX seconds then partial relay ON for 1 second to turn ON the rig`s switch

The OFF scenario is simplier, cause if you shutdown the rig, the main PSU +12v side will cut off the K2 relay, then the C2 capacitor will slowly drain out of voltage until it cannot trigger the base of the Q1 thus cutting OFF the K1 then turn Off the fan:laugh:

The D1 & D2 serves as coil induction arrester, cause coil loads can induce spike voltages in turning OFF, so I just put it together with the circuit to prevent relay induction.

Edit: I forgot to label the capacitors with the (+) polarity and the base, collector, emitter labels, I uploaded another picture:eek:

Last edited:
T

twilyth

What would be the easiest way to implement this? Breadboard? PCB with soldered wire connections?

I'm always getting excited about some new project but then I think about having to etch a PCB.

KH0UJ

What would be the easiest way to implement this? Breadboard? PCB with soldered wire connections?

I'm always getting excited about some new project but then I think about having to etch a PCB.

I think breadboard is neat:) cause you can position uniformely the parts, (like aftermarket look:D) but I like also the soldered wire connections:laugh: I tested it earlier with only soldered wires:roll: (messy but it works)