• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Issue: Intermittent failure to POST

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix 1080Ti
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
Software Win10 Home
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran.
It's kind of been an issue since I built this machine. I used to have to hit the reset button to get the thing to boot. Well I was having an issue with Vista coming out of sleep mode and I updated all the drivers for my machine, after still having problems I saw that ASUS offered a new bios that was supposed to fix the issues I was having, now they're worse.

My machine hangs before the POST unless I switch off the power at the PSU. After I allow it to shut down and I can hear the power go off through the speakers on my desk, I flip the switch back on and press power then it boots normally.

Anyone ever run into an issue like this? Specs are in my sig.

Also, I have cleared BIOS and CMOS, but the issue persists, all connections look solid but I am going to reinspect it when I get home.

Edited for spelling.

Processor Ryzen 1900x
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software Win10 Home
It's been a couple of days and wanted to bump it in case some people might have missed it.

I wiped the HDD and reinstalled windows. Still having the same issues. I'm leaning toward power supply issues, but I am unsure.

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
Take something OUT, to see if you can run it stable.

e.g.

1./ Take out the vid card and run integrated, or an older, lower power card.
2./ Use just ONE memory stick, and build up one at a time
3./ Don't OC if you are.
4./ If you have LOTS of HDDs and CD players, use just the boot drive for the moment

ISOLATE the issue. Could be the PSU. Try swapping out. Check BIOS for voltage ranges. All looking within spec?

T

twilyth

What do you mean when you say it hangs? I started running into that with Gigabyte boards a couple years ago. You would hear it start, shut down and then start up for real. But it was consistent, more or less, so I ignored it.

I've gotten so used to buggy hardware, that as long as there is a work around that doesn't involve dark magic, I don't even notice anymore. (No prob here with dark magic, it's just SUCH a PITA)

Right now one of my rigs does that. Sometimes for no apparent reason it starts and stops 5 or 6 times before finally clearing the bios and resetting - even if I had it set to failsafe defaults. Fortunately I'm not really miffed if I don't get the extra 400MHz, so sometimes I reset it and sometimes I don't.

Anyway, false starts seem to be standard operating procedure. I have no idea why they do that though. I'd like to assume there is a good reason since I've seen it on MSI, Gigabyte and Asus boards, but IDK what it is.

As for the power and reset buttons not working correctly, the obvious problem would be that they're switched around. But that's another thing I've seen on a couple boards but like I said, if hitting the reset turns it on, then I'll hit the reset and not really investigate. So I can't say if that is a common occurence or not.

There are guys here who build systems every day, and I'm sure one of them will check in eventually, so don't be shy about bumping it from time to time.

Good luck.

Processor Ryzen 1900x
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software Win10 Home
Thanks for the responses.

I'm off tomorrow, so I will be pulling it apart. Unfortunately I don't have on board graphics or a lower powered PCI-E card, so all I'll really be able to check is the ram. I'm not an overclocker, so that shouldn't be an issue.

When I say it hangs is that when I press the power button, the CPU fan ramps up to high speed, the hard drive indicator light stays on, but nothing loads. There are no beeps or anything on the screen. I have to power the system off and then switch the power off at the PSU for a few seconds. After it completely powers off and I switch it back on at the PSU, then I hit the power button and it fires up as it should. It's a weird issue and it's really bugging me.

As far as bumping goes, I just want to make sure I'm following the forums rules.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
IDK if this helps but when my buddy had this p5n board it would do the same thing every now and again, we narrowed it down to the board simply not working 4 sticks of ram.
Id recommend setting your ram timings as well as voltages per corsairs recommendations in the bios to be sure its not a auto config error.

Processor Ryzen 1900x
Cooling AIO
Memory 8GB
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Software Win10 Home
IDK if this helps but when my buddy had this p5n board it would do the same thing every now and again, we narrowed it down to the board simply not working 4 sticks of ram.
Id recommend setting your ram timings as well as voltages per corsairs recommendations in the bios to be sure its not a auto config error.

I'll definitely look into the timing settings. I didn't even think of it.

I only have 2 sticks of ram in it ATM, and I'm using ASUS's recommended spec of ram for the board.