• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gaming News : Disney to Buy Marvel

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Well it looks like our friends over at Disney Interactive are trying to purchase all the rights to everything "Marvel" for 4 Billion dollars.

Here's some of the the latest info ... Click

Disney Ineractive not too long ago reported a 45 Million loss for their entertainment arm, so I am sure they are trying to bolster their portfolio of IP with this acquision.

There are many companies out there who have rights to make Marvel based IP, and Disney cannot just cut them off at the knees, so we should still see more Marvel based games and such.

I'm not sure if this is a great thing or an incredibly bad thing and I figured you all may want to have a say about it.

FYI : TheMailMan is MIA for awhile, so I'll toss out some gaming news once in awhile in his absence.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
I have no idea what to think about this, only time will tell, but a Darkwing Duck vs Spiderman comic would be kinda cool. :laugh:

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
This makes me sick.

System Name AMD | Intel | Chumpy
Processor PHII 955BE Stock | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz | i7 920 D0 4.01 GHz
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70 | EX58 - UD5 | E760 4 Way SLI
Cooling Zalman 9700 CNPS | Water Loop | Water Loop
Memory 4 GB XMS3 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1600 MHz | 6 GB Dominators 1866 MHz
Video Card(s) 3 x 9600GSO, GTX260 216 | 2 x GTX 260 216 | GTX 260 216, 9600 GSO
Storage WD 640GB | Couple o' 5400RPMs | WD 1TB
Case Cosmos S | Lancool K62 Dragonlord | Lian Li PC-P80 Armor
Power Supply TX850 | HX 1000 | HX 1000
Software Win 7 Home Premium | Win 7 Ultimate | Vista Home Premium
Well, from what I understand they're going to let Marvel go about their business as usual and all intellectual products stay separate. It seems to be similar to the Pixar deal from awhile back, where Pixar simply did their thing but were owned by Disney. Pixar was simply an investment in the future for Disney as there is only so much they can rehash the classics.

Might mean deeper pockets on some Marvel movies, and perhaps more than 1 a year. The only downside to that is that quality could suffer as a result of increased output, and there aren't too many comic books that can be movie adapted.

freaksavior

To infinity ... and beyond!
System Name ZeroUptime | M.A.S.S / MM1
Processor Xeon 2659 v3 / Xeon 2683 v4 / ARM A14
Motherboard Asus X99-E-10G WS / ASRock x99 usb 3.1 / Apple
Cooling NZXT Kraken / Noctua NH-L12 / Apple
Memory 16Gb DDR4 / 32Gb DDR4 / 16GB HBLM
Video Card(s) Powercooler ATI vega 64 / GT 7300 / ARM
Storage Samsung 970 512 Evo NVMe / A lot. / 256 + 512 External TB3
Display(s) Acer Predator X34 / Headless / Acer X34 Non predator
Case NZXT H630 |Rosewill 8bay 4u server chasiss / MMM1
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Onboard / Onboard
Power Supply Corais HX850 | Corsair TX750 / Internal 250w
Mouse g502 proteus core / Headless / g502 proteus core
Keyboard Corsair K95 Cherry Blue / Headless / K65 Cherry Red
Software Windows 10 / ESXI / Big Sur 11.2.2
if nothing else, marvel is worth more than 4 billion considering what it has gone through

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Might mean deeper pockets

Then maybe they can start giving out some proper Marvel magazines in Sweden again..

I think it'll be pretty good.

HolyCow02

System Name Shredder
Processor Phenom II 955 @stock (for the time being)
Motherboard MSI 790FX-GD70
Cooling Noctua U12P
Memory 8 GB muskin DDR3 1600 @ 7-7-6-18
Video Card(s) 2x Sapphire 4870 1GB
Storage 64 GB Super Talent UltraDrive SSD | 2 x WD Caviar Black 500GB in RAID1
Display(s) Samsung 22" 2ms GTG
Case Thermaltake Spedo Advanced Package
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software Vista Business 64-bit
bleh. More characters for them to put into Kingdom Hearts :banghead:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
When a company buys another and says they are going to leave them do their thing, what it implies is "as long as they are profitable". I have a feeling that Disney is going to try to capitalize on everything Marvel and bleed all the IP dry by pushing out crap games just to try to get a return on their investment.

I hope I am wrong.

Well, they didn't really do that when they acquired Pixar, but the skeptic in me agrees with you wholeheartedly. I can very easily see them turning this into some wretched maggot infested excrement spewing hellspawn that eats the souls of children and rapes your childhood in the skull.

I too hope I am wrong.

Processor Intel Core i5 3570K
Motherboard MSI H61m-P31/w8
Cooling Stock
Memory 2*8GB DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX HD7850
Case Coolermaster Elite 330
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD audio
Power Supply Corsair RM650
Software Windows 10
This was posted elsewhere by an internet acquaintance, so I thought I would share it here:

Today an announcement came out of left field that no one on earth seemed to be aware was even going on. Disney is acquiring Marvel Entertainment. Wolverine will now be teamed up with Mickey Mouse. People are immediately crying foul and how this will signal the end for Marvel Comics. Personally I think all of these people are wrong. I'll be polite and not call all of you brain dead hicks, since this will be a public post. Worst case scenario, I say nothing changes at all. And frankly, I think the only places you'll really see any big change will be in regards to Marvel videogames and their movies. But first, let me try to set the record straight on both companies and possibly correct some misconceptions you may have about the two of them.

Regarding Disney:

First off forget everything you know about Disney. Most of it's probably wrong. Most of the negative "overly family friendly world domination" images are responsible by former Disney CEO Michael Eisner. The guy saved Disney from falling apart in the early 80's but like so many CEOs didn't know when it was time to let go, and hurt it quite a bit towards the end of the 90's and early part of 2000. He's gone though. The new CEO, Bob Iger is much less of an asshole. His first job was to mend those broken fences that Eisner created, and take a few steps back from the "Conquest of Cheap Disney Crap" that Eisner put into motion towards the end of his reign. For instance, have you noticed you're not seeing Jungle Book 3, Cinderella 5, and more poorly animated direct to DVD Disney sequels? He's the reason. He put a stop on any new ones being made. Additionally he's the guy that gave Pixar more or less the Keys to the Kingdom and put them in charge of all of Disney animation.

Additionally Disney has historically been pretty good about keeping the "Disney Brand" off of things that are not explicitly theirs. You know what Clerks, Pulp Fiction, Kids, Resevoir Dogs, and more have in common? They were all made at Miramax. Do you know who owned a big chunk of Miramax? Disney. Today they're in fact the sole owners of it and still use it to put out movies like There Will Be Blood and No Country For Old Men.... Yes, all of that screams of Mickey Mouse doesn't it?

People tend to confuse Mickey with corporation Disney. While the company, on the whole, does lean to the conservative side they're no different than most large companies in that regard. And in fact they probably a little more liberal. Just look at Gay Days at the Disney theme parks, a weeklong event at the Orlando theme parks that started with Disney. While it's not officially embraced or scantioned, Disney takes steps closer to doing so each year and now are even schedule in-park events for the occasion.

Regarding Marvel:

Let's remember something very important that is constantly overlooked by the masses who don't know Paste Pot Pete from the Trapster (that was a trick they're the same person - you automatically lose because I just proved I'm smarter than you). Marvel Comics has a long and glorious history of being run by assclowns.

The worst of it was in the early 90's when Marvel had run itself into bankruptcy. Miraculously it even did this during the "collectors era" when comic book sales were at their best. In desperation they sold the movie rights to some of their books which lead to god awful Captain America, Fantastic Four (that never was released except on bootleg), and Nick Fury Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. starring David Hasslehoff. They did manage to get back on track after a while, but never really flourished. At leat not until their current editor-in-chief Joe Quesada came along.

Quesada did a lot of good things for the company. He brought it some high profile writers and artists which lead to the resurrecting interest in characters like Daredevil and Captain America. Essentially, he got everyone interested in characters other than the X-men. As editor-in-chief he also had a hand in many of the Marvel comics movies like the X-men films, and Spider-Man which essentially gave rise to the entire popularization of actually GOOD comic book movies.

Joe is also responsible for some of the worst ideas of all time in the company. His love for big-name "Hollywood" writers has created some of the worst delays in history. The final chapter of Ultimates 2, issue 12 came out over a year after issue 11 did. The Ultimate Wolverine vs. Hulk mini-series had a gap over a year and a half during the middle of it. The Civil War cross-over for last year got dragged out months longer than it was supposed to be once again because of inabilities to reach deadlines. Missing deadlines has never been unusual for the industry, but it wasn't until he took over that they became so commonplace in major books of interest.

Also, as more of a side note, Joe is also respoonsible for eliminating smoking in all Marvel books (poor Wolverine and Nick Fury must be having major nic-fits). So if you think the concept of "WHO WILL THINK OF THE CHILDREN" hasn't already existed, you're quite wrong.

Worst of all may be the recent Spider-Man reset that came out of Civil War. Spider-Man made a deal with the Devil (so to speak) to save Aunt May's life. The result was his life was reset and he was never married to Mary Jane. Why??? Because Joe never liked the idea of the two of them being married because it "hurt the character and made him harder to relate to." Those are his words, not mine. Essentially he destroyed the integrity of a book simply because he did not like it. The book has still not really recovered from this ludicrious reset.

Joe is essentially Marvel's own Michael Eisner. He came to power during a bad time for the company, but had some good idea, made some smart choices, and made the company flourish. . . for a while. And just maybe it's time for him to let go of the reigns, or at least have someone over his head to report to.

The Acquisition:

Now that we've gone over some of what's gone on in the companies' histories. Here's the likely scenarios of what may happen.

1. The Comics

Honestly, nothing will happen here. Disney does not have their own comic publishing group in place, so there's not a group that will decsend on Marvel's HQ and start demanding changes. Disney has especially learned from Pixar that "hands off" is a great management practice. As far as the standards and practices, I don't foresee much changing. As I said earlier, Marvel already has some stringent one in place so there's no reason to add to it. So rest assured Wolverine will drink beer, the Max Line will continue, and Northstar will still love the cockadoodledoo.

In fact, the only change is that Marvel will now be in charge of the comic books that Disney has recently started putting out. For those not in the know, Disney had been putting out comics for Toy Story and the Incredibles through a small publisher called Boom! These comics supposedly are pretty good at least for the audience. They're aiming for the the Archie crowd as opposed to the comic geek crowd. So really, the only loser here is Boom! as they're eventually going to lose their Disney money.

2. The Movies

Any changes here will be for the better. If nothing else, this means more money for the movie budget. Marvel was never a cash rich company for the movies they try and finance themselves, and no more monentary negotiations between Universal and Marvel between the movies they tried to do together. As far as quality goes, that remains to be seen, but I don't see anything bad happening. Truth be told Marvel is only about 50-50 when it comes to their good movies, vs. their bad or not so good ones. The most recent 4 movies are: Wolverine, The Punisher, The Hulk, and Iron-Man. They're not really batting it out of the park here now that they're trying movies about the B-level characters, you know?

3. Theme Parks

Universal is the big loser here as they have an entire section of Islands of Adventure all about Marvel Characters. If they're smart they'll swipe the DC Comics contract from 6-Flags which is already in bankruptcy and then they'll just have to repaint their roller coasters (paint the Hulk coast black and suddenly it's BATMAN).

If Disney scores a real big win anywhere though it's here. There's long been talk of a new more adult theme park on Disney property and this could certainly provide them with the characters to focus it around. If nothing else I suspect you'll see some major rebranding in Disney Studios and a Marvel section will be added.

4. Videogames

This is actually a much bigger piece of the puzzle than a lot of people realize. Videogames based off of comic books are huge money. The recent Batman: Arkham Asylum has gotten rave reviews and has been a huge seller. Marvel's recent history with videogames isn't quite as impressive, but they've still got some classics out there like the Marvel vs. Street Fighter games, and the Ultimate Alliance series.

Ever since Kingdom Hearts became huge, and particularly over the last year Disney has been making huge strides in bringing in their own videogame projects in-house as opposed to licensing them out to 3rd parties. In fact, since Disney actually owns the Kingdom Hearts name (not Square-Enix), I wouldn't be surprised to see a KH style game with Disney and Marvel characters. I'd buy it.

5. Misc.

Disney Channel (and the expanded cable counter-parts) will eventually be the place to go watch old X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons. Probably going to see a little more Marvel comic merchendise out there. A lot of the toy deals will change, but that will essentially effect no one but the businesses involved.

The only negative aspect I suspect is that since Disney owns the brand you won't see many vendors at DragonCon and other conventions selling t-shirts with your favorite superhero logo on it. Not sure how hard Disney will thrown down the hammer on this one though. Doubtful that it's worth the effort, but I wouldn't be surprised all the same.

So there you go. On the Marvel side things will not change too much. Marvel will finally have some genuine stability, deadlines might be a little more consistant, and Marvel merchendise will be under tighter control with fewer bootleggers offering it up at con. Disney may offer up some new theme park features and will make a lot of money off of games, comics, and movies. But as a consumer I doubt we'll actually be able to tell much difference when the day is over.

Personally I don't know how much of this is true but I found it pretty interesting.

JC316

Knows what makes you tick
System Name Budget Gaming
Processor AMD FX6300
Motherboard Gigabyte 880GMA-USB3
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB Ripjaws DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) HD7850 1GB
Storage 1TB Sata2
Display(s) Acer 24" LED
Case Generic black
Audio Device(s) Stock onboard
Power Supply FSP Aurum Gold 650W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Well, from what I understand they're going to let Marvel go about their business as usual and all intellectual products stay separate. It seems to be similar to the Pixar deal from awhile back, where Pixar simply did their thing but were owned by Disney. Pixar was simply an investment in the future for Disney as there is only so much they can rehash the classics.

Might mean deeper pockets on some Marvel movies, and perhaps more than 1 a year. The only downside to that is that quality could suffer as a result of increased output, and there aren't too many comic books that can be movie adapted.

Uh huh. Activision said the same thing about Blizzard... Have you seen the money grubbing screwjob's they have put on SC2?

This Disney/marvel might work, but I am not a fan of it.

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.8ghz AIR
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling 3 fans of MADNESS
Memory 4GB ADATA XPG DDR3 1600G
Video Card(s) ATI 4890 1GB GDDR5 memory
Storage 500gb SATAII
Display(s) 23" 1080p Acer H233Hbmid
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream / 600W / Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Professional 64bit
Mickey Vs. Spiderman

Round one...Fi....Spiderman wins!!

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Uh huh. Activision said the same thing about Blizzard... Have you seen the money grubbing screwjob's they have put on SC2?

What?

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I would like to thank Crazy Pyro for the additional information that he posted.
Now I am sure that when all is said and done, we will get crap.
No more, no less.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
The only thing Marvel that really gets any of my money anymore is the movies. Love the movies, and I actually went out to buy most of em. Not all are good, but overall a great set. Not to mention, it sorta spurred comic-based movies into a whole new era of quality. If Disney means cash for Marvel movies, bring it on. :rockout:

Sorry comic geeks. Purism left me in the late 90's.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I agree. Many of the movies are really good (not all, but I like them).
It's the games that I question.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
The comics far surpass the movies imo. The movies are good, but the comics are generally better. The only bad thing is that there's so many good characters that are left out. Penence/Hollow anyone?

And at the games: There aren't any games that actually uses the awesomeness of the Marvel universe, so there's bound to be some improvement.

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
@Timothy :Single word posts or just smileys are against the forum rules.
From the guidelines ....
Short and pointless posts like "yeah", "me too" or "haha" can be made on the rest of the internet, not here. Post count doesn't increase your e-penis.
I'm not getting on your case, just a heads up to keep you on the good side of the moderators :toast:

That being said, JoinMe's post made me laugh out loud too.

I guess we will have to wait and see what the results of this acquisition produce.
There is a chance that more and better games will result, but I have the feeling that Disney et. al. is not the type to take the attitude "When it's ready", and we will see half baked stuff hitting the market. If they prove me wrong I will post a public apology.

W

wahdangun

This Disney/marvel might work, but I am not a fan of it.

yeah, Activision realy fucked up Blizzard, and make SC, diablo ruined, and become greedy developer just like EA

i'm realy miss good o'l blizzard

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
I still want to know in what way Blizzard is ruined.

FordGT90Concept

"I go fast!1!11!1!"
System Name BY-2021
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X (65w eco profile)
Motherboard MSI B550 Gaming Plus
Cooling Scythe Mugen (rev 5)
Memory 2 x Kingston HyperX DDR4-3200 32 GiB
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Storage Samsung 980 Pro, Seagate Exos X20 TB 7200 RPM
Display(s) Nixeus NX-EDG274K (3840x2160@144 DP) + Samsung SyncMaster 906BW (1440x900@60 HDMI-DVI)
Case Coolermaster HAF 932 w/ USB 3.0 5.25" bay + USB 3.2 (A+C) 3.5" bay
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1150, Micca OriGen+
Power Supply Enermax Platimax 850w
Mouse Nixeus REVEL-X
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur
Software Windows 10 Home 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Faster than the tortoise; slower than the hare.
Disney is going to have a comic monopoly. :|

I assume the FTC approved it?

yeah, Activision realy fucked up Blizzard, and make SC, diablo ruined, and become greedy developer just like EA

i'm realy miss good o'l blizzard
The same thing happened to Westwood. Bullfrog, and Maxis when EA ate them alive. :(

I too am unaware what happened to Blizzard. Last I checked everything was business as usual.

Westwood was too young, and CnC has never been the same. I don't even think there was one oddly named hero civilian like Flint Westwood in any of the games after the merger. That was a staple man, a staple.

Seriously though, Westwood dying sucked.

W

wahdangun

why you guy's don't realize, they took lan support in SC II(even make it trilogy) and diablo III

they don't think about ppl that doesn't have/slow Internet connection. and what about if we want to have a lan party, it's definitely pain in the ass, to set up all the client to connect to the Internet just to have a freakin lan games

that's why now i hate blizzard

Talking about features being in the final release during product development is kind of funny. I know the news about there being no lan support, but I've also seen many rumors about that being one of the issues they are addressing.