• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

European Commission Publishes Decision Concerning Intel's Abuse of Dominant Position

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
That's not what happened: if Intel wants to offer huge rebates should clients purchase very large amounts of their products, that's their right but, if they dictate to their clients what products to not purchase, be it as a condition for the rebates or not, that's not right, IMO.

Not @ the time this started: back then, AMD had better products.

i mentioned that AMD had the better chip back then. yet they still could not deliver their product because they are an inferior company. that is what it comes down too. intel can dictate terms of the argreement just as the vendors can. the vendors do not have enough clought tho when they operate separately. had they organized together with AMD they could have beaten back intel. of course i guess in the eyes of some THAT would have also been illegal.

Processor Core i7 @ 3.5GHz stock voltage
Motherboard MSI Eclipse
Cooling Noctua NH-12P SE
Memory 6 GB 1066MHz
Video Card(s) 2x GTX260 @ 701/1506
Storage Raptor 74 GB
Display(s) NEC MultiSync 2080UX+
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software Win7

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻
Amd have been playing second fiddle to Intel ever since the core 2 duos because of there own imcometency seriously remember the original phenoms? Instead of looking for excuses Amd should be looking in there own backyard as they are seemingly now doing as there recent cpus have been much improved. Its easy to blame big bad Intel when most of there problems were self inflicted they had better cpus and were completly caught of guard by the c2d.

I totally agree, building up to the Phenoms first release I read an article in a magazine where either an AMD executive or representative was being interviewed about the new Phenoms - Intels new line of Core 2 Duos was also brought up during the interview & the AMD rep said that they werent worried at all & if anything they were fully confident in their product (1st gen Phenom) but i could tell that the intel question pushed his back against the wall. benchmarks from obtained engineering samples were taking the net by storm & all the results were clear that it would totally decimate the phenoms. the rep was also asked if after seeing the results if AMD would delay phenoms release & tweak/revise the chip a little more - to which the AMD rep refused. & thats when AMDs troubles began & their marketshare started to spiral.

AMD set themselves upto fall - simple as.

I think AMD genuinely knew they were gonna take a hit but i dont think they expected to take that BIG of a hit. they took a gamble & put themselves in a position they couldnt recover easily from without having an 'exit stratagy' or at least some sort of fallback to cover their ass. Core 2 Duo came along & beat phenom into the next technological era then came Intels 'exploitation/Abuse' of their position which put AMD at a further disadvantage...

- Its true, any company can lower or raise their prices, Intel are business people - & they're business people that took advantage of the market while the stocks were low just like any other good trader would do. you cant blame them for that. but possibly the way they went about doing it is the real issue here.

AMD are still licking their wounds but they are recovering slowly & despite Intels domination they are still stronger then ever before despite how small of a company they are. its unlikely they will be strong enough to rival Intel 1:1 for a long time to come still but they will eventually get there, if not then they will create a world or focus on a part of the market where they are king & continue to run in leaps n bounds.

Intel well what can i say i dont know legal mumbo jumbo but im sure the European Union a collaboration of the lots of European Countries knows its stuff a lot more than us plebs. If coca cola said to stores dont stock pepsi or else that is basically the same thing, its like them saying to Tesco Supermarkets dont stock Pepsi for 2 years and we will give you a bonus, by that time coca cola sales would have increased by a large amount to having its main competitor cut it would gain its potential sales or at least a big share of its potential sales, it uses the extra profit to fund the "bonuses". Its a bit underhand really, it should be up the competitor plus its not like one of those companies wasnt going to release an AMD product because it was and then Intel stopped that.

Its not like here we need 200pcs, so intel can you do it cheaper than AMD? It was far from that it was like here we are and we want to be the only choice.

Intel is an older company and has been manufacturing cpus for a lot longer than AMD ever has, so it got a head start in the market, it can take many more years for them to become equal they may not even gain much more market share. I find it quite a feat that AMD made the acquisition of ATi shows how far they have come from making Intels own cpus.

A little note Microsoft became a world leader in Operating Systems through popular choice, so when people moan about it being top dog it was us who put it there.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Motherboard H170I-PLUS D3
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Mushkin DDR3L-1600
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1050ti
Storage 512GB Corsair SSD
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Case Lian Li PC-Q01B Mini ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair 450W
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Keyboard Custom bamboo job
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Finished Super PI on legendary mode in only 13 hours.
intel has shown over and over they provide a superior chip at a price vendors are willing to pay and at the end of the day consumers are willing to pay it as well. i dont see that as illegal. what i consider illegal is a bunch of thugs being hired to physically force the vendors to choose intel over amd. i guess that govt is illegal then because they created a massive fine againt intel forcing them to change their business practices to FAVOR AMD or they lose their freedom by going to jail.

Yeah, except for the entire Pentium IV era, right? :wtf:

You either didn't read the evidence like I asked, or you're ignoring facts that you don't like.

Neither one surprises me. :shadedshu

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
Read the specs bucko.

AthlonXP and 64 where top notch and Intel couldnt shake a stick at them. Then AMD went downhill and now they still barely compete with Yorkfield (Q9***). With i5 and i7 (both sockets) tearing away at both mainstream and enthusiast id say...shitty. Its good, but shitty compared to those performance AND price.

System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional
Read the specs bucko.

:shadedshu

I did, I own one.

The 720BE does great for its price point. Sure, AMD might not wear the performance crown, but their CPUs are fine for just about everyone. Calling them shitty is really selling them short, even if it is a "relative shitty" (Which isn't even true anyway).

System Name Univac SLI Edition
Processor Intel Xeon 1650 V3 @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard eVGA X99 FTW K
Cooling EK Supremacy EVO, Swiftech MCP50x, Alphacool NeXXos UT60 360, Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz
Video Card(s) Nvidia Titan X Tri-SLI w/ EK Blocks
Storage HyperX Predator 240GB PCI-E, Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Display(s) Dell UltraSharp 34" Ultra-Wide (U3415W) / (Samsung 48" Curved 4k)
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Acrylic Edition
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster Z
Power Supply Thermaltake 1350watt Toughpower Modular
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CODE 10 keyless MX Clears
Software Windows 10 Pro
Take it easy their tiger, all ive run is AMD since the Thunderbird era. They are good CPUs but in todays market, yes they are falling short of performance.

AMD cant even compete in the price to performance era anymore because the 965 is 245 and the i5 is 205 on Newegg. Also, you can get p55 boards cheap too.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
Read the specs bucko.

AthlonXP and 64 where top notch and Intel couldnt shake a stick at them. Then AMD went downhill and now they still barely compete with Yorkfield (Q9***). With i5 and i7 (both sockets) tearing away at both mainstream and enthusiast id say...shitty. Its good, but shitty compared to those performance AND price.

Not when you factor in the price of the corresponding motherboards, it ain't.

The i5's stats aren't even that great, and the motherboard is pricy to go along with them.

All cost aside, yeah -- even I'd like an i7 920 system, but if I had to choose between Phenom II and an i5, I'd choose the PII.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Yeah, except for the entire Pentium IV era, right? :wtf:

You either didn't read the evidence like I asked, or you're ignoring facts that you don't like.

Neither one surprises me. :shadedshu

uh, ive got two diff threads going here. i already mentioned how at the time AMD had the superior chip but it didnt matter since they are the inferior company. vendors wouldnt take AMDs side because AMD simply cannot run at the level the vendors required. intel was smart and putting the nail in the coffin with those rebates strategies.

D

Deleted member 67555

i mentioned that AMD had the better chip back then. yet they still could not deliver their product because they are an inferior company. that is what it comes down too. intel can dictate terms of the argreement just as the vendors can. the vendors do not have enough clought tho when they operate separately. had they organized together with AMD they could have beaten back intel. of course i guess in the eyes of some THAT would have also been illegal.
I think this case was moreover about "Innovation BLOCKING" which would serve who's best interest?...A few Greedy Crooks?...Laws exist to keep civil Morals and Business in CHECK..This is simply a case of THE PEOPLE SAYING ENOUGH.
Money is not the ultimate authority!!! If you believe it's ok for business's to conduct Collusion, then problem here is not the Verdict it's your Ignorant misguided Moral Views that is the problem, your argument is "the other guy should have resorted to collusion as well" REALLY? WTF dude you have some serious issues, i really don't get your point here, do you really believe it's ok to cheat, just because the other guy did?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
I think this case was moreover about "Innovation BLOCKING" which would serve who's best interest?...A few Greedy Crooks?...Laws exist to keep civil Morals and Business in CHECK..This is simply a case of THE PEOPLE SAYING ENOUGH.
Money is not the ultimate authority!!! If you believe it's ok for business's to conduct Collusion, then problem here is not the Verdict it's your Ignorant misguided Moral Views that is the problem, your argument is "the other guy should have resorted to collusion as well" REALLY? WTF dude you have some serious issues, i really don't get your point here, do you really believe it's ok to cheat, just because the other guy did?

no, im saying that it should not be illegal to offer rebates to companies when they do not go with the competition.

System Name Jupiter-2
Processor Intel i3-6100
Cooling Stock
Display(s) BENQ 24in
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Mouse Logitech Trackball
Software Win 10 Pro
no, im saying that it should not be illegal to offer rebates to companies when they do not go with the competition.

Clever wording there. You forgot the "or else" part of the issue, which is what the charges against Intel were all about in the first place.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Clever wording there. You forgot the "or else" part of the issue, which is what the charges against Intel were all about in the first place.

again, the vendors could have gone with AMD. obviously the better business move was to go with intel. that is business.

D

Deleted member 67555

And i agree with that and if that's all that they did I'd be with you, but they did a lot worse then that, they basically said "Take this discount or were gonna cut off your supply of Our stuff, you already invested millions in producing and give your competition an even better price" AKA. COLLUSION

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
And i agree with that and if that's all that they did I'd be with you, but they did a lot worse then that, they basically said "Take this discount or were gonna cut off your supply of Our stuff, you already invested millions in producing and give your competition an even better price" AKA. COLLUSION

which is business. clearly the vendors didnt do their homework. the lawyers should have written up a business contract that would have atleast covered their asses so that if intel did cut them off they would be covered financially.

Andy77

WTF dude you have some serious issues, i really don't get your point here, do you really believe it's ok to cheat, just because the other guy did?

One thing that btarunr and co. taught me was not to give into their narrow-minded view... let the fanboy talk, cash his dough out so intel can pay up the fines.

BTW... what about the investigations from FCC and in Asia?... any bits of news about them?

Benetanegia

NO, AMD couldn't deliver as many chips as Intel did, but with A64's superiority and given enough time (let's say 6-12 months) they could have matched and even surpased Intel in market share. Chip manufacturing is all about volume, the higher it is the lower that you can sell your products and you can invest in another fab, etc. But you just can't create as many chips as Intel, because you are not going to sell them in your first attempt, so disproportional investment prior to having them sold is out of the question. You can, however, make a small amount of superior chips and let the free market, the customers, do the job. Once you start selling your superior product you can ramp up the production. That's free market.

To fight that phenomenon, that is nothing more than the only consecuence of a free market, Intel paid the biggest PC vendors so they didn't use AMD's superior product for 3 years. At the time, HP and Dell being almost a duopoly, none of them could afford to not obtain Intel's rebates, in case the other one was getting the rebate, because they simply couldn't meet their demmand with AMD chips. The important thing here is that they were not allowed to use AMD products, even when they clearly wanted. This way the consumer didn't ad the choice to use AMD. Should Intel let them use AMD chips, a lot of people would have bought AMD based PC's up to the max that AMD could offer. Let's say a 25% of the market, at first. Obviously in a year that number would have been much bigger.

Sorry I don't know where you think you live, but that's illegal everywhere. Just because they have not been punished in the US (yet), doesn't mean the Federal Trade Commission doesn't think that's illegal. It just means they are still looking for more proofs to meet the overprotective requirements that are needed to punish a monopoly in the US.

Last edited:
System Name PBD
Processor Core i5 760 @ 4.0GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus III Gene
Cooling Corsair H-50-1
Memory 4 x 4096mb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 Cas7
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 670 DirectCU TOP
Storage Crucial 256GB SSD (system) + 2x Samsung F3 1TB (storage) + 2x 2TB Raid-1 NAS (backup)
Display(s) Dell SP2309w 23" 2048x1152
Case Antec Max Fusion Remote
Power Supply Corsair AX750W
Software Win 7 Pro x64
again, the vendors could have gone with AMD. obviously the better business move was to go with intel. that is business.

Rhino, are you actually happy that Intel behaved that way (irrespective of personal opinions about free markets etc)?
You do realise that if AMD had had a bit more cash from those days they might have been able to come up with chips that could compete with Intel's Core2 architecture? You realise then that you may not have had to pay what you did for those chips you have and you could be hundreds of dollars better off now?

Right or wrong ... it is all of us that are worse off, even now, because of what happened back then.

Processor Ryzen 5700x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aero G R1.1 BiosF5g
Cooling Noctua NH-C12P SE14 w/ NF-A15 HS-PWM Fan 1500rpm
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 2x32GB D.S. D.R. (CT2K32G4DFD832A)
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6800 - Asus Tuf
Storage Kingston KC3000 1TB & 2TB & 4TB Corsair LPX
Display(s) LG 27UL550-W (27" 4k)
Case Be Quiet Pure Base 600 (no window)
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220-VB
Power Supply SuperFlower Leadex V Gold Pro 850W ATX Ver2.52
Mouse Mionix Naos Pro
Keyboard Corsair Strafe with browns
Software W10 22H2 Pro x64
Well anywho, to all the above rants.

This really has nothing to do with chip production, chip superiority, or other. It it just basically Intel not adhereing to the Laws of Europe, which are quite different from North America and probably every other nation. I see Rhino mention buisness lots, well that may be buisness in the U.S. but not evreywhere on the planet. I do agree that the vendors (dell, h.p., etc.) should have had some balls and reported Intel's ""threats"" from day one, but when the CEO's make millions per year, one can only assume that they get some kind of payoala on top of everything else, and it would be the company getting the fine not them. Only time will tell after the Governing body in the U.S. does their investigation of Intel.

The bottom line I read from all this is that they did affect the "free" market, and probably hindered competition, and from what I understand from the very few economics classes in university, in Europe that's enough to be fined under their laws.

Maybe if the CEO's, etc. would have to pay the fines out of their own pocket, then trade might be more fair, who knows.

As they say that's life.

Last edited:

Benetanegia

Nooo... The better business move for the vendors would have been to buy a 20% of their chips from AMD and if Intel still wanted to sell the volume of chips that previously was 100%, they would have needed to offer a better rebate. That is, if the vendor had projected they would sell 100 chips, they wanted to buy 20 from AMD and 80 from Intel. If Intel still wanted to sell them 100 chips as they were doing previously, they would had to offer a rebate good enough, so that the vendor didn't mind buying 120 chips instead of the projected 100. That is bussiness.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Nooo... The better business move for the vendors would have been to buy a 20% of their chips from AMD and if Intel still wanted to sell the volume of chips that previously was 100%, they would have needed to offer a better rebate. That is, if the vendor had projected they would sell 100 chips, they wanted to buy 20 from AMD and 80 from Intel. If Intel still wanted to sell them 100 chips as they were doing previously, they would had to offer a rebate good enough, so that the vendor didn't mind buying 120 chips instead of the projected 100. That is bussiness.

but the vendors still had a choice. THAT is business.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
Rhino, are you actually happy that Intel behaved that way (irrespective of personal opinions about free markets etc)?
You do realise that if AMD had had a bit more cash from those days they might have been able to come up with chips that could compete with Intel's Core2 architecture? You realise then that you may not have had to pay what you did for those chips you have and you could be hundreds of dollars better off now?

Right or wrong ... it is all of us that are worse off, even now, because of what happened back then.

yea, i dont want to talk about this anymore! afterall it is a tech site and i dont want to piss anyone off or give the wrong impression.

if anything i am pissed at intel for either

A) knowing the law and breakng it anyway or

B) not knowing the law and being retarded about defending themselves.

i dont condone breaking the law. i think that it should not have even been law and if intel knew about it they should have gone through the proper channels to challenge the law rather than resort to this tactic. im just pissed it came to this and i hope that AMD can organize itself and grow into a profitable company that makes great chips and creates more competition pushing intel to make even better chips.

CyberDruid

System Name Shop Dog
Processor E8400
Motherboard Asus Blitz Formula SE
Cooling d-Tek FuZion
Memory 2 x 2GB DDR2 800 G Skill
Video Card(s) EVGA 7900 GTX
Storage 150GB VelociRaptor
Display(s) Acer 21.5 1080p LED Back Lit Monitor
Case Working on it
Audio Device(s) PCI SoundMax
Power Supply Silverstone 750 Modular
Software XP Pro SP2
Benchmark Scores Super Pi 11.56s 1M at 4050mhz
Intel is finally getting their skeletons dragged out of the closet. We've all heard about this for years but now we finally see some action.