• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Just bought my first ever PCIE card

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL
Don't have the patience to read the thread but, Good job u2k xD See why we wanted you to get better for less $$? Anyways, I don't want to bring all that back, you got enough bashing on you in the past LOL

Next time, save up more money more and we'll make a killer rig with 500$ :D

System Name Dell Workstation t5810
Processor Xeon CPU's E5-2683 v4 Broadwell-E Technology
Motherboard Broadwell-E X99
Cooling Default fan System Level 3
Memory 48GB DDR4
Video Card(s) ASRock Vega 56 8GB
Storage 4 External SSD, 4 External HDD
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Case Dell Precision 7810 Case
Audio Device(s) RealTek High Definition
Power Supply 825 Watts PSU
Mouse Soundless Black Quiet Mouse
Keyboard Dell Black
Software Windows Pro 10 x64

shevanel

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
I was talking about this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...5?skuId=9366571&type=product&id=1218092152238
Replacing that with my emachine single core which is really powerful btw, but the dual core should be much better.

Not sure if you know, but i don't build. :toast:(kool-aid)

Well if you are able to find the clock generator chip and use a clockgen like app on that board you might be able OC that processor. You probably won't be able to up the voltage though.

System Name The Venerable One
Processor Intel Core i7 980x 3.33GHz
Motherboard EVGA X58 FTW3
Cooling Big Ass fan pointed at the motherboard with the side panel off FTW
Memory 12GB DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Superclocked X2 in SLI
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256MB SSD/1.5TB HDD internal
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 2443BWX 24" 1920X1200
Case SK-503 Super Case
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Xtreme Music
Power Supply SeaSonic 1000W Platinum Rated
Software Windows 7 Home SP1 64-bit
Benchmark Scores epic
You guys don't understand u2k. He is after simplicity and he doesn't want to bother with highly technical situations.(or what he considers highly technical situations, you might not consider the same situations highly technical) He doesn't want to build a PC and he probably won't OC the CPU. It is a huge leap for him to even use a PCI-e card, even if there are better that don't use power connections.

This is why he has always shunned conventional wisdom, because he doesn't want to dabble with a PC and break something or use technology that is foreign to him. Because of his mentality towards tech, he would rather pay more for less capable PC components. Everyone is so angry at him, all you can do try to realize where he is coming from.

My only issue is his FPS claims he makes in games, which no one else can duplicate, but that drives everyone else nuts as well.

Last edited:

shevanel

No one is angry. It's just people trying to help people... save money.. get more.

If you don't want to evolve and learn new things.. try new things.. then so be it. To each his own. :)

Memory 12GB DDR3 1333
Case SK-503 Super Case
Benchmark Scores epic
No one is angry. It's just people trying to help people... save money.. get more.

If you don't want to evolve and learn new things.. try new things.. then so be it. To each his own. :)

You haven't read what other people are saying about him on some of the other forums he belongs to then. People are furious at him for his claims in games and how he sticks to old, antiquated tech dedicatedly.

A lot of people on other forums have given up helping him and just flame him mercilessly. I try not to sink to that level but I understand others frustrations.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
You haven't read what other people are saying about him on some of the other forums he belongs to then. People are furious at him for his claims in games and how he sticks to old, antiquated tech dedicatedly.

A lot of people on other forums have given up helping him and just flame him mercilessly. I try not to sink to that level but I understand others frustrations.

He is just "trolling" you guys... he does it for the "lulz"

Why else would he pick Superman as his avatar. Its almost as cheesy as Buffy.

PS. Successful Troll is an internet meme. Its refering to intentionally causing someone to "rage"(get pissed off) etc.

Last edited:

shevanel

that's superman? Since when does superman look like a college-drop-out-wanna-be-model.. douche bag?

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Another thing that we don't understand is that he is perfectly able to replace his video card... but he doesn't want to do anything else??

But still, even if he does buy pre-built, he buys expensive for cheap stuff... But I learned to not get mad or anything anymore... Because he is still a person, and shouldn't be bashed like he has been before.

If he wants to buy pre-built, I suggest we help him choose a good pre-built for the money

System Name AMD Black Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 4GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB GDDR5 w AC Twin Turbo
Storage Crucial C300 64GB SSD, 500GB and 2TB Drives
Display(s) Samsung 2494hm, Dell (Samsung?) 1907FP
Case Lancool (Lian-Li on a budget) K7
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC889A, M-Audio Fast Tracks
Power Supply OCZ Mod-X-Stream Pro 600W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64, XP Pro
There isn't always "anything wrong with pre-built machines" like your said but you need to understand a few things. Your basic motherboard doesn't have PCI-e 2.0 so higher end video cards will be bottleneck. It has very little VRM, voltage adjustments for overclocking and couldn't handle higher end CPU's very well for example. This is fine for most people but you should at least understand that. Most gamers at the very least would want PCI-e 2.0.

Also more importantly your PSU is dangerously low. You risk damaging your parts, motherboards and video cards running on such a small PSU!!

I just want you to understand the risk of running a small power supply on these gaming parts. You starve your video card during game play it will run hotter, artifact and could eventually crash the game. No big deal I know. Secondly you risk killing the PSU. I know I know once again, not the end of the world. Replace it with a bigger one like it should have had in the first place right? Right! But what most people fail to understand is when you push a switching power supply to the limit and start pulling more wattage that its been designed to continuously maintain it's going to start working too hard, your voltages may drop, your current draw goes up, your parts trying to pull the power start running hotter, you get ripple feedback from the switching circuit in your power. Your power is no longer "clean" and voltages may start to fluctuate. Your motherboard and video card start working harder, they too overheat, too much feedback in the motherboard VRM and videocard VRM.............. BYE BYE nice video card.

So you kill your $100 video card because you didn't want to spend $50 on a decent 500 watt PSU. Your 250 Watt PSU is dangerously low to be using for what you are doing! I can tell you most of the time you will simply burn out the PSU and need to replace it but there is always a chance it will take out other parts. The PSU is designed to feed the correct amount of clean/well regulated power to ALL your parts. It in many ways is one of the most important parts in a PC. These pre-built machines almost always come with smaller units designed to run the machine as is. When you add your dedicated videocard and bigger processors please consider changing the power supply as well.

Now the point everyone else is trying to make is by the time you upgrade your graphics card and power supply you spent more on your "pre-built" system yet you still have a basic motherboard with a low end chipset, no PCI-e 2.0 and slower RAM (I love how your ASUS doesn't even mention anywhere the speed of the RAM only that it's DDR2)

That is all I'm saying. There is nothing wrong with pre-built if you don't care what motherboard you have, don't care about over clocking, don't care about how far it can be upgraded down the road. That's fine for some people but you need to at least address the power supply if you're going to add bigger video cards.

Memory 12GB DDR3 1333
Case SK-503 Super Case
Benchmark Scores epic
He's not going to address anything because he won't touch anything inside his computer, like I alluded to earlier in my post. He likes to buy the machine as it is and to do nothing more than stick a GPU in it. As long as he doesn't OC, those lower power GPUs shouldn't burn up IMO. The type of GPUs he uses aren't really bottlenecked by PCI-e 1.1 slots. See w1zzard's review of HD 5870 scaling to see what I mean. He also doesn't care about anything you suggest to him for any reason unless it meets his predefined criteria of simplicity and ease of use.

System Name AMD Black Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition
Motherboard Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 4GB OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum (2x2GB)
Video Card(s) ATi Radeon HD4870 512MB GDDR5 w AC Twin Turbo
Storage Crucial C300 64GB SSD, 500GB and 2TB Drives
Display(s) Samsung 2494hm, Dell (Samsung?) 1907FP
Case Lancool (Lian-Li on a budget) K7
Audio Device(s) Onboard Realtek ALC889A, M-Audio Fast Tracks
Power Supply OCZ Mod-X-Stream Pro 600W
Software Windows 7 Home Premium x64, XP Pro
I assumed he could at least change basic things because I assumed he installed the video card himself. I guess I shouldn't have assumed anything! My bad.

I understand PCI-e 1.1 will not bottleneck the card he has now hence I said "this is fine for most people but you should at least understand that" I mean it's just all the little things that the average person doesn't understand. To me the motherboard (along with the PSU) is one of the most important parts to a PC (it defines reliability, performance, overclock-ability and of course upgrade-ability) yet its the one thing the pre-built OEM's often don't mention in detail. Then again most OEM's don't want you doing major upgrades like changing the CPU because they would rather sell you a new machine!

Once again I understand how many people would not care or really NEED to understand all of this. I really just wanted him to understand there are reasons why we do. But mainly I just wanted him to understand the importance of the power supply. He may only have a single core and 9500GT now but who knows it sounded like he wanted to upgrade to a dual core and I suspect he may eventually want to get into bigger video cards also.

Last edited:
System Name Dell Workstation t5810
Processor Xeon CPU's E5-2683 v4 Broadwell-E Technology
Motherboard Broadwell-E X99
Cooling Default fan System Level 3
Memory 48GB DDR4
Video Card(s) ASRock Vega 56 8GB
Storage 4 External SSD, 4 External HDD
Display(s) HP 27m LCD
Case Dell Precision 7810 Case
Audio Device(s) RealTek High Definition
Power Supply 825 Watts PSU
Mouse Soundless Black Quiet Mouse
Keyboard Dell Black
Software Windows Pro 10 x64
that's superman? Since when does superman look like a college-drop-out-wanna-be-model.. douche bag?

Maybe something is wrong with your eyes, but superman aka clark kent doesn't look like a college drop out and wanna be model lol. I think he looks pretty cool. :)

He's not going to address anything because he won't touch anything inside his computer, like I alluded to earlier in my post. He likes to buy the machine as it is and to do nothing more than stick a GPU in it. As long as he doesn't OC, those lower power GPUs shouldn't burn up IMO.

Everything you said is well correct, i never OC and the type of video cards i use are just fine for my so called low psu watts. When i buy a rig, i just add a sound card and a gpu and i am good to go. Thats all i really need to do, keep things simple. quick and fast, good to go.

But mainly I just wanted him to understand the importance of the power supply.
I am not sure if you understand it. I remember when i was using my Intel Pentium III, it has 90watts in it, people told me a 2400 or 8400gs or even a 6200 won't run it, well i had the computer since 2000 and all 3 of those cards ran just fine on it, for years. The system requirements for power supplys/video cards are always inaccurate.

He may only have a single core and 9500GT now but who knows it sounded like he wanted to upgrade to a dual core and I suspect he may eventually want to get into bigger video cards also.

Yes i have a Galaxy 9500GT and a Emachine amd le-1620 2.4ghz single core right now, but i am giving this computer away and buying a Dual core very soon , and i plan to keep my 9500gt for it, and pick up a 4550 very soon like this weekend lol, so i will have a 4550 and a 9500gt for the dual core. The dual core has 300watts i believe.

Buy Bigger cards? Well i never buy cards that require power connectors and i never will buy high end brick looking house cards. So again the cards i will always buy are well just fine for my prebuilt rigs.

System Name Homelabs
I don't you buy a laptop for gaming at home while your at it :laugh:

Sometimes, u2k, I wonder the way you think... I guess idc, as long as it isn't my money going to waste... How much money did you spend on your comp since your PIII died? Do you know, with that money, you could have gotten something much better right? EVEN pre-built wise :shadedshu

Anyways, I guess you have your reason, but know that its like torture to us lol. You, understanding about comps, not ignorant anymore, still waste your money :( It's like when I saw my cousin buy 2 HDMI cables from bestbuy at 100$ each + 15% tax, while I got mine, after tax, at 10$... It confuses us to be so irrational.

BUT, I don't hate you for it, I just hope that one day, you will understand. All that money you wasted, you could've even given it to some poor child in Africa that needs it!

Even if you say that you want simplicity, there are much better pre-builts that you could have bought with your money...

Ok sorry but I always have top say this in your threads lol...

Anyway, best of luck on your slow but steady progression to modernity

System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.
http://wpsmedia.latimes.com/image/b...durance_welling_hear/Smallville-287-large.jpg

Maybe something is wrong with your eyes, but superman aka clark kent doesn't look like a college drop out and wanna be model lol. I think he looks pretty cool. :)

Everything you said is well correct, i never OC and the type of video cards i use are just fine for my so called low psu watts. When i buy a rig, i just add a sound card and a gpu and i am good to go. Thats all i really need to do, keep things simple. quick and fast, good to go.

I am not sure if you understand it. I remember when i was using my Intel Pentium III, it has 90watts in it, people told me a 2400 or 8400gs or even a 6200 won't run it, well i had the computer since 2000 and all 3 of those cards ran just fine on it, for years. The system requirements for power supplys/video cards are always inaccurate.

Yes i have a Galaxy 9500GT and a Emachine amd le-1620 2.4ghz single core right now, but i am giving this computer away and buying a Dual core very soon , and i plan to keep my 9500gt for it, and pick up a 4550 very soon like this weekend lol, so i will have a 4550 and a 9500gt for the dual core. The dual core has 300watts i believe.

Buy Bigger cards? Well i never buy cards that require power connectors and i never will buy high end brick looking house cards. So again the cards i will always buy are well just fine for my prebuilt rigs.

dont buy a 4550. you will get lower framerates than the 9500 even on ati games. 9500 is on par with a 4650, so if u want something similar to run ati games, go 4650

Memory 12GB DDR3 1333
Case SK-503 Super Case
Benchmark Scores epic
+1 to what LittleLizard said. Get the best GPU that doesn't use a power connector if you aren't going to use power connectors. Someone said 9800GT has a low power model, so I'd look at that.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
+1 to what LittleLizard said. Get the best GPU that doesn't use a power connector if you aren't going to use power connectors. Someone said 9800GT has a low power model, so I'd look at that.

Thats a respectable card. I have always loved the G92 variants as long as its on the cheap.

@u2konline

I bet Tom Welling who plays Clark Kent in Smallville, is very popular with the ladies. I just think he is a cheesy actor from waht I have seen. Its kind of like how I think Ashley Tisdale looks hot but I don't think she is a good actress.

Last edited:
System Name The Lizard v2.4
Processor Intel Celeron G1840 (for the time being
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H81-S2PH
Cooling Intel Stock Fan
Memory 16GB Kingston HyperX 1600
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming GTX 750Ti (For the time being)
Storage 500GB Samsung F1, 160GB Maxtor "Older than god"
Display(s) AOC 28' LCD
Case Coolermaster N200
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec VP500P
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores No crashes in the last 24 minutes.

9800gt low power, 9600gt low power or even a 4670 would be good.

Oh and if u buy the Asus dual core i recomended, then FOR GOD SAKE, UPGRADE THE PSU AT LEAST

System Name Homelabs
PSU is the base of your PC...

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech
System Name Homelabs
System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Mouse G400s Logitech

Wait a minute... is that a pink jacket he is wearing?

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD