• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Bad Biosflash on X1800 XL...plz help!!

Zaphod B

Hello I´m new to the forums but i´ve found a lot encouraging info here and hope that you might be able to help me with my problem.

A few day ago i flashed my Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XL with the Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XT Bios from the Bios download section of www.techpowerup.com.

The 1st flash went all right, booted to windows, reinstalled ati catalyst 6.8...all was fine except some image corruption in 3D Mode.

So i used the RaBit v2.1 Bios Editor to further increase the GPU Voltage, flashed again...all ok, more garble on the screen in 3D (2D picture is fine).

Modiefied the Bios about 3 or 4 times...no problems flashing the card.

Then i tried to reflash the original bios previously saved to my HD with atiflash...than the shit happens...atiflash exited with an error "No Adapter Found".

Obviously that last flash went bad and after i checked what could be the reason for that i found that my DOS Bootdiskette was corrupted :cry: and my graphics card´s bios too.

I tried nearly everything...atiflash -f -p 0 mybios.bin -> "No Adapter found", flashrom -f p 0 mybios.bin -> "No Adapter found", ATI winflash -> "No valid ATI Graphics card found".

Finally i came to try uniflash which had no support for ati graphics cards or the bios chip. So i modified the available uniflash sources (st.pas) and added accordingly to the addchip.faq file the STMicroelectronics M25P05-A chip to st.pas which seems to be the one on the card. Compiled it, ran it with parameters uniflash -pcirom 2 0 0 -e mybios.bin -force 2005 (2005 is the id for the st M25p05-a chip).

Chip detection was successful, but it did not flash because there is a disk error (Error #100: Disk Read Error) :cry:

The card id is stuck at device ID 7000h which is no valid ati card id -> no go on installing windows drivers...(i even tried to hack the drivers .inf files to add support for the 7000h id but on installation of the last file in the driver´s file set the pc crashes)...

PLZ HELP ME!! :ohwell:

cat320

LOL. (Sry, my English is bad)

I have the self card with the self Problem and you have no chance to reflash the bios. The only one way is, a 9600 or 9800 with the self EEprom 25p05.. and make a hotflash with the Old AGP Card(discard??? both EEproms from the Cards and that is easy, i have no luck my Card). I have buy now a 7900GTO for my Daughter and never buy the ATIshit.

DeviceID_7001 Vendor 1002 Bus 5, Vgasave Atiflash etc ADAPTER NOT FOUND
Good Luck

PS.The 1800xl comes on the Wall from my Son with a little bit of UVcolour und UVlight.:D

Last edited:

Zaphod B

LOL...Good Luck with your new card. NVidia uses the same chip....:roll:

Zaphod B, I might be able to repair the card and would do it for $20. If I can't fix it then no charge. I have a moded video card just for reflashing EEproms.

Cat320. How much do you want for your X1800XL?

Zaphod B

I´m from Germany. Where are you form? :confused:

Besides can it be that because of the bad flash the chip is in Deep-Power-Down mode and therefore does not respond to any Write or Erase commands sent?

I´m from Germany. Where are you form? :confused:

Besides can it be that because of the bad flash the chip is in Deep-Power-Down mode and therefore does not respond to any Write or Erase commands sent?

US Dallas Texas. What I would do is Flash a EEprom with the right BIOS and unsolder the old EEprom off and resolder the new one with the right BIOS on.

This is the modded video card I use for this.

This the EEprom

cat320

jo, zaphod ich auch:)
@{Sniping}Waste. i have seen your flash pics in a other thread but it´s not easy to remove the shit eeprom from the PCB and the 9600 is not mine. Is there not a Chance, to Hexedit a Atiflash dll to find the card with the bad DeviceID?

Zaphod B

I just began writing a flashtool myself in C. Seems very easy with the standard libraries provided by ST Microelectronics. :)

cat320

Uniflash erkennt über den Befehl -pcirom 5 0 0 bus Device Function meine Karte aber er kennt leider den EEpromtyp nicht

(Sry for the English People but it´s hard 4 me to write this in English)

jo, zaphod ich auch:)
@{Sniping}Waste. i have seen your flash pics in a other thread but it´s not easy to remove the shit eeprom from the PCB and the 9600 is not mine. Is there not a Chance, to Hexedit a Atiflash dll to find the card with the bad DeviceID?
For ATIflash to work the video cards BIOS must be loaded in to system memory. There is no way to hexedit ATIflash to get around that as far as I know.

Zaphod B

For the Program to work I need the Hex Base-Adress of the flash chip. I tried some PCI-Bus scanners but they only show the I/O adress range of the card. It will take a while to figure out the correct adress of the chip. :)