• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Review: pspGO

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.8ghz AIR
Motherboard ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Cooling 3 fans of MADNESS
Memory 4GB ADATA XPG DDR3 1600G
Video Card(s) ATI 4890 1GB GDDR5 memory
Storage 500gb SATAII
Display(s) 23" 1080p Acer H233Hbmid
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream / 600W / Active PFC
Software Windows 7 Professional 64bit
I figured i've been reading mixed reviews ALL over the internet about the PSPgo, and while a lot of both sides makes sense, i'll add my 2 pennies because well it's just how i feel.

I am a owner of the PSP-1000, i have a couple games not too many cause the psp never really was that fun for gaming, while it had some great games it only had some; and that wasn't enough to keep me interested. I did think about "well what if i took it with me while i traveled". Maybe i'd play it more because it was with me. I tried; i took the brick with me one time and i remember trying to shove it into my pocket. IT WASN'T happening. It was just too big, and when i tried to sit forget it, it was like a knife in my side. Discouraged by this i decided to leave her at home for the remainder of her life. Now i am a fan of anything electronic and especially versatile, The PSP, wasn't as portable as i would've liked it to be. That was in 2005, now in 2009 i was treated with having a PSP that could actually go with me places; the PSPgo.

I have had it a little over a week (yes i got it early like some people) and this is my honest impressions about the system.

Size Comparison

The psp is a pretty heavy machine, they fixed this after releasing the psp slim, but i think it would've been more suited to call it the psp lite, it was the same size as its older brother it was just lighter and thinner but only slightly thinner. either way carrying this item in your pocket would be annoying unless you rocked some fubu pants and the pockets were the size of a hand bag.
The PSPgo is 50% smaller and 40% lighter than its predecessor and that 50% is a little off I'd say its more like 35%-40% smaller but at a cost, the screen is a about half an inch smaller than the PSP but the resolution hasn't changed so you actually get a sharper image from the little device,also by taking out the UMD drive this takes alittle weight off its shoulders. This device is very portable, in fact I've taken it to work, on trains, on the bus and even in the car with me, and have used it significantly, now this is what a hand held should be able to do; actually be PORTABLE! I take the PSPgo with me in place of my ipod classic, which is only a little smaller than the go. I use it just as much as i did the I Pod and i can say the battery is really good for music and gaming. I'd never be able to do this with my PSP. So i am happy they finally released a product that is actually portable.

Battery consumption and load times.

The main 2 gripes I've read about the PSPgo, is the fact there is no longer a UMD drive or Changeable battery(when in fact the battery is changeable,w/o voiding your warranty). I have to say I would sacrifice a little more weight for a UMD drive at least i thought i would, Comparing both the PSP and PSPgo load times, i noticed that well the UMD drive is literally most times 10 seconds to 15 seconds longer to load than the PSPgo, which is actually almost instant. You also do not have to deal with the annoying sound of the laser struggling to move up and down to read the UMD. Honestly i've ran God Of War on both systems and it took about 30 seconds to get into the actually game from the XMB on the PSPgo, and took about a minute to do it from the PSP. The PSPgo also boast a cool feature called "pause game" it actually lets you exit the game and go back into it later on where you left off, meaning you can listen to music watch a video or use the internet, than go back into what you were doing. i found this feature great. About the battery, well consider this the PSPgo battery is not as powerful as its predecessor so you won't notice any real changes here i got about 10 more minutes from the PSPgo. But the battery is in fact changeable so when it dies im sure you can get it replaced. I am going to assume Sony does the same with there PS3 controller batteries as they do with the PSPgo and offer a replacement hopefully free.

Look and Feel
The look of the PSPgo is stunning, i personally have the Pearl White version, because i wanted to step away from every gadget i own being black haha. it has a sleek look and looks a lot like a phone, i had some customers where i work ask what kind of phone it was. I honestly think if Sony made a phone based off the PSPgo it'd sell like hotcakes imagine that much power behind a device. Anyway, it looks amazing it looks fresh and mysterious and when you reveal the controls to people they get giddy, well maybe that's just me! The buttons are significantly smaller than the PSP but not uncomfortable, i like where they placed the analog nub, it feels better than the PSP, i was able to use it and i have decently sized big hands, it took me a day or 2 to get use to but once i did it all felt familiar. I'd love to have seen a second analog nub where the start/select buttons are, but here's to wishful thinking! :toast: Being so much lighter and smaller the unit actually does feel solid, and is i dropped it on hardwood floor by accident and nothing is wrong with it. Leave it to me to break something when i get it. No dents or dings, the plastic feels nice and there are 2 rubber pads on the back of the hand held that keep the system firmly in your hands.

Pricing.

OH here we go, the real "reason" everyone hates the PSPgo, well its because i have UMD's and now i can't play them boohoo-boohoo, or my favorite "This isn't worth 250 dollars you can get the old one for 170 dollars. YES YOU CAN! so do it. i for one wanted a device i could take with me in my pocket. Not some brick that i could knock a thug out with if i was being robbed. I will be the first to say if you are happy with your PSP than do NOT consider this but if you aren't happy mainly cause of portability issues, than you might consider it.
Ok and now the price point of the PSPgo, i'll break it down understandably for you.
a PSP without a memory card or anything just the core system will run you 170$ (US), a memory card for that psp at 16gb Retail will run you no less than 100$ (us). so now you have a psp with 16gb memory for 270 dollars. Granted you can also buy the UMD's cheaper cause you can find them used etc. but in this case that would have to be all based on preference, which i will say. i love owning things i hate buying them off digital distribution BUT! i will sacrifice UMD for the ability to actually take my hand held with me when i travel.

Yes the PSPgo is 250 dollars but it has 16gb of internal memory (also expandable), and it is smaller, lighter, and more portable than the PSP, also the PSP will run you 270 dollars for the same features, but doesn't have the "pause game" feature like the Go has. Now lets compare it to a 16gb IPOD TOUCH, which in turn does everything the PSPgo does, it has wifi, it web browses, it plays music and video, and itunes has games for it, (most of which suck anyway). The cost of a 16gb IPOD touch is 240 dollars. So for a mere 10 dollars more you can get the PSPgo which have the same features just more.

So to sum it up.

PSP w/ 16gb memory card cost about 270$

Ipod Touch 16gb 2nd generation cost about 240$

PSPgo 16gb memory 250$

So please stop bitching about the price because in the end your actually saving money unless you go shopping online for a used card or find a knock off and we all know how much our PSP loves knock off duo cards.

Value and conclusion

I am a fan of the new PSPgo, while i do think they could have added better features like wireless G instead of B. Especially for a system that needs to download all the software,
But they do have software that you install on your pc so you can essentially download all the games movies and music to your pc it sends it to your psp and it saves some time. But downloading from the internet for a 1gb file wireless took me about 35-40 minutes on my internet connection through the psp, and took about 20-25 minutes through my PC. You are able to connect your bluetooth headset,earphones, or even your ps3 controller to the psp which is pretty nifty. While i feel that if this came out a year ago or even when they released the PSP Slim, i feel people wouldn't feel so ripped off, cause the bitch i keep hearing is "well a ps3 is only 50 dollars more" yes it is, but you shouldn't compare this system to Home Consoles, but compare it to MP3 players and portable devices (i.e ipods, zune, DS) The value is great to me honestly, i pay 10 dollars more than i would for an ipod touch with 16gb memory.

I give the system a 7.5/10

While i am happy that the system is finally portable, i am upset that the little things that could've made it so much better haven't been done. With wifi B on a download only system. That doesn't even make sense. They do have Bluetooth wifi, which is pretty good and fast so that compisates but who really has a bluetooth enabled wi-fi router? I would've been even happier if the PSPgo had a touch screen so you didn't have to slide it up to change artist for music (you can use the L/R button to change songs/videos).

Pros

+Lighter
+Smaller
+Bluetooth
+portability
+16gb internal memory upgradeable to the 64gb
+Easy to use User friendly PC software
+Load speeds are like night and day comparing the 2
+ New Pause game feature makes it easy to go in and out of a game if you wanna listen to music or watch a movie, even if your just switching trains.

Cons

-No real hardware difference from PSP slim to PSPgo
-Wifi B, i mean G can't cost that much more...
-No way to trade your old games in for the same download version (as of yet)

Well, That's my review any questions and/or comments feel free i'll answer them.

AND PLEASE do not come in here saying its garbage, especially if you DON'T own one.

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
About the pricing thing. I understand that to get the exact same thing, you would spend more with a regular PSP. However, with the regular PSP, you don't need the exact same thing. Because the games are run off the UMD, you don't need to spend outragous amounts of money on a 16GB memory stick. You can spend $15 on a 2GB stick and be fine. If you really need the space for media, and it is understandable that you would, then an 8GB can be had for $33 new. And since the memory doesn't need to be shared with games, 8GB is more than enough for media.

Don't get me wrong, the PSPGo is better. I'm just adding another opinion on the pricing issue. Personally, I'll gladdly trade off the use of the internal memory and extra price in exchange for not needing to carry around a bunch of UMDs. And adding an cheap 8GB memory card to the PSPGo just brings it even further over the regular PSP.

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
i agree, but my main reason for pointing out the 16gb was because i have movies music and games on a card. but yeah that would've been another valid point to add so thanks!

I honestly think sony is going to offer some type of trade in program like you send them the game, and they send you a voucher for the downloadable version, thats the best way to avoid piracy and it will make everyone happy

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Good review m8, but TBH, I wouldnt buy a PSPGo or an iPod (iPods are overrated, I prefer Creatives MP3 players). To me, not having a UMD slot is a big :nutkick: to people that already have a PSP game/movie collection.

I cant see the PSPGo selling very well tbh, it seems a case of too little too late. Sony should really be spending time developing a PSP2 instead of rehashing an old system. I feel the same about the Nintendo DSi.

PS:

Sony PSP 3000 Slim & Lite White Console Base Unit + Dissidia: Final Fantasy - http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/11...se-Unit-+-Dissidia-Final-Fantasy/Product.html - £139.99

Sony 16GB Mark 2 Memory Stick Pro Duo - http://www.play.com/Electronics/Ele...16GB-Mark-2-Memory-Stick-Pro-Duo/Product.html - £54.99

Total - £194.98

Sony PSP GO Console - Black - http://www.play.com/Games/PSP/4-/10287942/Sony-PSP-GO-Console-Black/Product.html - £199.99

So you can get a standard PSP 3000 with a 16GB memory stick and a new game cheaper than a PSP Go :D

Last edited:

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I was comparing the rates to retail stores not online, but yeah in the UK sony is offering 3 free games when you upgrade your current psp to a PSPgo, only the UK for some reason, i am also comparing the rates for the U.S cost of the console.

have to agree with hookey the original psp slim seems like a better choice the lack of umd drive makes me wonder what if you have a collection already do you need to carry around 2 psps or rebuy games from download?

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
i did note that if you own a psp already chances of this being a good deal are slim to none

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
i did note that if you own a psp already chances of this being a good deal are slim to none

Really, I don't think Sony is targetting current PSP owners with the PSPGo. They are targetting people who don't already have a PSP.

System Name mult1kill
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.7
Motherboard GA-AX370-GAMING 5
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Team Group 32gb 3200mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2060
Storage Seagate 3TB+ Corsair 120GB SSD+120 ssd smansung 256gb m.2 Samsung 970
Case NZXT S340
Audio Device(s) Sundara JDS Labs Atom
Power Supply FSP HydroG 850W
Mouse WMO
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3
Software Windows10
I probably would of given it a 8/10 but I still like your review, the only thing that pisses me off about the pspgo is the lack of UMD,people say its a dead format, but if it was dead then they would stop making them and what not, I think its a sweet format its like a gamecube disc

good review, think you would recommend it? or should I go for the slim?
I use to have the fatty but I sold it for gta4.....oh i regret it

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I'd recommend it if you are going to use it for traveling, i mean like newtekie said, it is less of a pain to carry around a bunch of UMD's when you can just have it all in the console and play at your hearts desire.

Put it this way i don't feel like i waisted 250 dollars, i feel like i spent good money for a mp3 player, movie player, and gaming machine in a portable all in one solution.

i gave it a 7.5 out of 10 mainly cause of the WiFi B, i really don't understand why they couldn't have given it at least G speeds.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
I'd recommend it if you are going to use it for traveling, i mean like newtekie said, it is less of a pain to carry around a bunch of UMD's when you can just have it all in the console and play at your hearts desire.

Put it this way i don't feel like i waisted 250 dollars, i feel like i spent good money for a mp3 player, movie player, and gaming machine in a portable all in one solution.

i gave it a 7.5 out of 10 mainly cause of the WiFi B, i really don't understand why they couldn't have given it at least G speeds.

So can you load avi files onto it or do you have to purchase all of the movies you want to watch on it online?

For example, could I convert a DVD that Ive already purchased and own into avi (DivX, XviD, MP4...whatever) and the PSP Go will run it?

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
you can load avi's onto it

It comes with a program that lets you add movies/music to it

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
you can load avi's onto it

It comes with a program that lets you add movies/music to it

Thats a good point then ;) That would make it more desirable to me :)

Also can the games be stored on your PC or do you have to redownload a file if you delete it?

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
(MPEG-4, H.264, AAC, AVI, Motion JPEG, ATRAC, MP3, .Wav, WMA, JPEG, TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG).

All supported formats

I am pretty sure you can store them to your PC, i haven't tried yet but from what i've read it stores the content in a temp folder if you choose to delete it than yes you'd have to re download it

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
(MPEG-4, H.264, AAC, AVI, Motion JPEG, ATRAC, MP3, .Wav, WMA, JPEG, TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG).

All supported formats

I am pretty sure you can store them to your PC, i haven't tried yet but from what i've read it stores the content in a temp folder if you choose to delete it than yes you'd have to re download it

It wouldnt take long to fill a 16GB memory stick with games would it and I wouldnt really want the aggro of downloading them again :(

A little OT, but I always thought the fact that the PSP wasnt dual analog was a let down :( Its a shame they didnt pop another stick on this new one ;)

PS: are the games cheaper to download rather then own a new hard copy?

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
some are, God of war is 19.99 at the store here and 15.99 to download, thats all i know so far, i think the other idiot move from sony was not to lower prices for digital download only, concidering they don't have to spend moneyto produce plastics and papers and umds.

Oh well, i have 3 games on my psp now, and i still ahve 11gb of space left, the games aren't all big, god of war is 1.39gb, thats one of the biggest games along with GT.

You can also buy up to a 32gb micro duo card and use it in the PSPgo, and they say its expandable to 64gb, when they make that compacity card.

so 80gb of space to save games/movies/music is a lot of space ha

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
It wouldnt take long to fill a 16GB memory stick with games would it and I wouldnt really want the aggro of downloading them again :(

A little OT, but I always thought the fact that the PSP wasnt dual analog was a let down :( Its a shame they didnt pop another stick on this new one ;)

PS: are the games cheaper to download rather then own a new hard copy?

Yeah, you are looking at maybe 20 games to fill it, or less. However, since you can save the games to the memory sticks, at least I assume you can. You can have a few games on a memory stick or two, and still be more portable than carrying 20 UMDs.

I don't really mind only one analog stick. I mean, even when playing consoles, with controllers that have dual-analog sticks, how often do you use the second stick? I almost never use it, I mean there were a few games that used it for gimmicky crap, but really it is never used. Racing games are probably the exception, in that the second stick is often used for gas/brake. Though I much prefer to use the left and right triggers for brake and gas, it just feels more natural to me.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Yeah, you are looking at maybe 20 games to fill it, or less.

I don't really mind only one analog stick. I mean, even when playing consoles, with controllers that have dual-analog sticks, how often do you use the second stick? I almost never use it, I mean there were a few games that used it for gimmicky crap, but really it is never used. Racing games are probably the exception, in that the second stick is often used for gas/brake. Though I much prefer to use the left and right triggers for brake and gas, it just feels more natural to me.

I use both analog sticks all the time lol. FPS games, UFC...I could go on for ages :)

some are, God of war is 19.99 at the store here and 15.99 to download, thats all i know so far, i think the other idiot move from sony was not to lower prices for digital download only, concidering they don't have to spend moneyto produce plastics and papers and umds.

Oh well, i have 3 games on my psp now, and i still ahve 11gb of space left, the games aren't all big, god of war is 1.39gb, thats one of the biggest games along with GT.

You can also buy up to a 32gb micro duo card and use it in the PSPgo, and they say its expandable to 64gb, when they make that compacity card.

so 80gb of space to save games/movies/music is a lot of space ha

What did you think of GT, I heard it was total garbage????

80GB of space would be nice :)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
I use both analog sticks all the time lol. FPS games, UFC...I could go on for ages :)

Thats true, I forgot about FPS games, but they all suck on consoles anyway, and they were really bad on the PSP...

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
GT is not really garbage its just a game where you can race 300 different cars on a few tracks, i wouldn't call it a "game" more like we all know and love its a "simulator" test out different cars etc.

Only thing i really hate is the "sense of speed" is NOT there. which is confusing cause in Wipeout:pure the sense of speed is there, so it is doable, and GT runs at 60FPS yet when driving over 90 you feel like your doing 25,

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
Thats true, I forgot about FPS games, but they all suck on consoles anyway, and they were really bad on the PSP...

The reason they are bad on the PSP is due to the lack of a second analog ;)

Once you master playing FPS's on a pad its really quite good.

GT is not really garbage its just a game where you can race 300 different cars on a few tracks, i wouldn't call it a "game" more like we all know and love its a "simulator" test out different cars etc.

Only thing i really hate is the "sense of speed" is NOT there. which is confusing cause in Wipeout:pure the sense of speed is there, so it is doable, and GT runs at 60FPS yet when driving over 90 you feel like your doing 25,

From what youve just said, proves to me its garbage. I dont want to drive a Veyron that 'feels' like it goes the same speed as a Ford Focus :) Be honest with yourself m8, if you played NFS-Shift on the 360 and it had no sense of speed, you would slate it.....but because its GT your not ;)

If GT5 is shit I will LMFAO!!!!!!!! (and I love the GT games, I grew up playing them)

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
The reason they are bad on the PSP is due to the lack of a second analog ;)

Once you master playing FPS's on a pad its really quite good.

No, they were just plain bad, and I mastered it. I actually bought my PSP with the intention of playing FPSes mostly on it, the thought of playing a portable FPS got me excited. I played through that piece of crap Coded Arms and Ghost in the Shell. Both were shit, and after playing them I quickly sold my PSP...:mad:

And I have yet to play a truly good console FSP. I've played ones that are good for being on a console, but none that are truly good...

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
No, they were just plain bad, and I mastered it. I actually bought my PSP with the intention of playing FPSes mostly on it, the thought of playing a portable FPS got me excited. I played through that piece of crap Coded Arms and Ghost in the Shell. Both were shit, and after playing them I quickly sold my PSP...:mad:

And I have yet to play a truly good console FSP. I've played ones that are good for being on a console, but none that are truly good...

What I meant was, if the PSP had been designed from day one with 2x analog sticks, the FPS titles would have been better because the control method would have been similar to a console (which on a pad isnt perfect, but a lot better than moving your crosshairs then buttons)

I dont think anything can compare to the freedom you have on FPS's with a mouse and keyboard. But you cant say all FPS games on consoles are bad. Most have a certain amount of auto-aim which helps...but not too much that it aims for you and makes the game easy ;)

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
i for one wanted a device i could take with me in my pocket. Not some brick that i could knock a thug out with if i was being robbed.

This reminded me of the cell phone commercial (Sprint maybe?) where the dude chucks his phone at the other guy's head and knocks him out. :roll:

Personally, I don't have much use for this; I'd put the bucks into a PS3. But there will always be peeps with money to blow on stuff like this.

I'm getting old............:laugh:

joinmeindeath417

System Name SINNAH
Storage 500gb SATAII
Case Antec Three Hundred
Audio Device(s) Onboard
wow there is already a clone PSPgo, but plays emulators :( i am kind of jealous!

i may pick one of them up. haha

LINK