• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Operation Flashpoint 2: What a let down!

Miracus

I dunno about other original Op Flash fans out there but I felt Op Flash 2 was a FAR CRY from the original, so much so I felt like I was playing Battlefield wearing a pink tutu!!!

Aside from some of the cool features like billowing smoke from distant battles, 4 player co-op and good frame rates, Codemasters REALLY dropped the ball in terms of keeping it a true simulation, It's obvious they were trying to attract a wider market i.e more casual console gamers, but in terms of keeping with the franchise I fear it killed it!

I loved the original and also loved the Arma series (putting aside the bugs and FPS issues) but as far as I'm concerned despite the glorified graphics, excellent FPS and cool 4 player Co-op option, Op Flash 2 was nothing more than an Arcaded up Military run and gun shooter!

The freedom was nothing like was anticipated because if you stray to far from the mission itself you fail and start back over again, Strategy and Tactics were almost not important as I found most situations could be approached by issuing the "Follow Me" and "Fire at Will" commands.

The UI for issuing commands was far from intuitive because every time you want to issue a command you are forced to stop and navigate the HUD with your W,S,A,D keys which from start to finish was incredibly frustrating, especially in a crazy firefight (granted the original Op Flash & Arma UI's weren't much better but I still preferred them over Op Flash 2's)

Vehicles, Planes, Helicopters!? Where were they!? you barely get to use them and even when you did, controlling them was like driving a shopping trolley with your head duck taped so you could only look straight ahead! I preferred to stay away from the vehicles after my first few encounters because they were death traps. As a result of the poor vehicle controls commanding your team in one was not even worth the frustration.

I hate to bag Op Flash 2 so badly because it was Codemasters first attempt at developing an A grade Military Simulation and to be honest they couldn't have picked a more complicated game to develop, but because they strayed from the concept of the original and turned it into a run of the mill arcade title 10 years on I feel there are very few if any improvements over the original.

Many might disagree with what I am saying but chances are they never played the original or enjoyed it. Those who did will know what I mean.

Polarman

System Name Polar's Dragon
Processor AMD Phenom II 975BE
Motherboard MSI 890FXA-GD65 (Bios 18.7)
Cooling Zalman CNPS 9700 Led
Memory Gskill 8GB DDR3-1333 (8,8,8,21)
Video Card(s) MSI HD6870 Hawk
Storage WD Raptor 250 - WD RE4 500GB
Display(s) Samsung T240 (1920 X1200)
Case Silverstone Raven 2
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply PC Power&Cooling Silencer 750 (Red)
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit + SP1
I was fearing something like this would pop up.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
arma 2 > OFP

not in terms of arcade shooter, but military sim

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
Well once it gets Dedicated Server's I plan on hosting one.

And also once it get's patched it will be good.

I am hosting an ARMA2 Server soon enough, been enjoying that just need a better vid card to really enjoy it.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
I dunno about other original Op Flash fans out there but I felt Op Flash 2 was a FAR CRY from the original, so much so I felt like I was playing Battlefield wearing a pink tutu!!!

Aside from some of the cool features like billowing smoke from distant battles, 4 player co-op and good frame rates, Codemasters REALLY dropped the ball in terms of keeping it a true simulation, It's obvious they were trying to attract a wider market i.e more casual console gamers, but in terms of keeping with the franchise I fear it killed it!

I loved the original and also loved the Arma series (putting aside the bugs and FPS issues) but as far as I'm concerned despite the glorified graphics, excellent FPS and cool 4 player Co-op option, Op Flash 2 was nothing more than an Arcaded up Military run and gun shooter!

The freedom was nothing like was anticipated because if you stray to far from the mission itself you fail and start back over again, Strategy and Tactics were almost not important as I found most situations could be approached by issuing the "Follow Me" and "Fire at Will" commands.

The UI for issuing commands was far from intuitive because every time you want to issue a command you are forced to stop and navigate the HUD with your W,S,A,D keys which from start to finish was incredibly frustrating, especially in a crazy firefight (granted the original Op Flash & Arma UI's weren't much better but I still preferred them over Op Flash 2's)

Vehicles, Planes, Helicopters!? Where were they!? you barely get to use them and even when you did, controlling them was like driving a shopping trolley with your head duck taped so you could only look straight ahead! I preferred to stay away from the vehicles after my first few encounters because they were death traps. As a result of the poor vehicle controls commanding your team in one was not even worth the frustration.

I hate to bag Op Flash 2 so badly because it was Codemasters first attempt at developing an A grade Military Simulation and to be honest they couldn't have picked a more complicated game to develop, but because they strayed from the concept of the original and turned it into a run of the mill arcade title 10 years on I feel there are very few if any improvements over the original.

Many might disagree with what I am saying but chances are they never played the original or enjoyed it. Those who did will know what I mean.

OFP2 has nothing at all to do with OFP1. The original OFP was a modifide VBS1 engine as Arma 1 and Arma 2 is ( there just using the name as thats all they own).

OFP2 uses the EGO( might be spelt wrong lol ) game engine as i understand it. And is a modified version of the Neon game engine.

I knew it would not be like OFP \Arma but was hoping it be a good replacement Ghost Recon but from what i been reading it's not even that good lol.

Hopfully a patch or 2 will make more happy and maybe me one day haha. By that time it be cheaper to buy too :):)..

VBS1>OFP>Armed Assault(Combat Operations)>Arma 2.
Neon > EGO

If you want another game like OFP save lots of pennys up and get VBS 2 :p.

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
i enjoy OPFDR i play with my 3 other roomates lan and we have a blast, Try playing it on Hardcore if you think its too easy, i promise you, if you send your guys in they will get gunned down like some 3 yr old infants. and so will you, take it off easy if you want a challenge.

bigtye

System Name ibuiltit
Processor E8500 stock for now
Motherboard Gigabyte EP45 DS4
Cooling CPU- Xigmatek Red Scorpion, 1x23cm fan, 3x12cm fan
Memory 4gb Corsair Dominator 8500
Video Card(s) Asus 5850 1gb
Storage Samsung 750gb F1, 500bg F1 for backup
Display(s) Samsung 226BW
Case Thermaltake Armour+
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply Corsair 750 TX
Software xp 32 bit SP3, Win 7 64 bit
I echo some of the sentiments of the op, particularly the part about vehicles. No joystick for helicopters, very disappointed with that aspect, plus the limited scope to use vehicles.

I haven't had a chance to do coop, but would be keen to, unfortunately many of my clan are so let down by the game they haven't bought it.

Tye

dominic.mccoy

I and a lot of my friends agree with you, its an uber let down!
it seems they took all the bits that made the original special and threw them out, no cut scenes or those little missions ( like the one where you drove your superior around!) that flesh out the story, no real sense of being in a big dynamic battle that can change at any minute.
And all that is before we get on to the game play, physics or AI!
The UI is useless for issuing commands, and even when you do order your teams mate the AI is rubbish (why won't team mates take cover when being shot at? why won't the medic heal himself without being ordered to do so?, why are the enemies idiots?)
The physics is another let down, with the technology available these days to see a Cobra gunship drop from the sky like a child's toy and bounce around on the ground is unforgivable. It ruins any illusion of this game being a "simulator" and shifts it to being just another FPS....very disappointing!

System Name KILLER
Processor Intel Core i7 4790K
Motherboard MSI Z87 G45 Gaming
Cooling Water Cooling
Memory 2x8GB Gskill 2400mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 980
Storage SSD Samsung 500GB
Display(s) 24" Asus 144hz
Case Cooler Master HAF
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Platinum
Power Supply Antec 1200 Watt Modular
Software Windows 10 64 Bit
Benchmark Scores 3DMark Vantage 51342
Its just a knock off of BF2 looks like to me.
I played it for about a week and tried to get into it but it just wasnt my bag.
For it to suppose to be a army sim. the gun fire is far from realistic.
It reminded me to much of BF2 when you have to run over and stick your gun up there ass to kill them.
If you want to play a real FPS with very accurate gun fire download Americas Army 2.
Its free and theres nothing that cant touch it as far as being accurate.
Its a high learning curve and most people give up before they get to enjoy it.
But if you give it a chance and find a map you like you will see what i mean.
Americas Army 2 Download