• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Radeon 9800 Pro graphics problems in games (drivers suspected - have most recient)

OniRyo

Alright so I had to recently format my comp (yay for windows inevitable slow and steady degredation)... before then, i was playing Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. Then after format, I natually got the latest 6.9 drivers for my Radeon 9800 card.

Now the problem... occationally the graphics will go totally insane! It starts off with annoying 'blocky noise' (seen in this screen cap: http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1086/gtasagraphicbugrm1.jpg ) Shortly after, the polygons go totally nuts (imagine taking a point of an object now stretch it out really far...now do this all over the screen so you cant see a thing! Dont have a screen cap at the moment as i cant reliably re-create this and when i took the one before it some how fixed itself when i switched from photoshop back to the game....seems to be if i stay out of the game for a few minutes it goes away - for a while) At first i thought it was just a bug related to GTA:SA except it worked perfectly before the format and i got to the 3rd area and was doing the Caligula missions (which is near the end for those not familiar with the game) before i formated and no hint of any graphical issues.

Also i got similar 'blocky' artifacts in another game (America's Army)...although i ended up closing the game rather than face the 'polygons of doom' so i'm not totally sure if it would have had the same end-result... (being an online game, didnt really want to get mauled due to graphical errors)

And now tonight i was playing Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy and any time i have "dymanic glow" enabled the screen will some times fill with a certain color when the 'camera' gets too close to a light source (occationally flashing yellow when i get going with my light saber but that actually almost looks cool some times....but its really annoying when the screen goes pure white for a few frames and you are just walking by some lights =/) Thought this might be a game glitch but my friend who has a similar system setup (except with a different graphics card) doesnt have this problem so i suspect it is related in some way to the same root issues (although i cant say for certain as i only just got Jedi Acad AFTER the format so i dont know if it would have acted up before this...)

I've went into the catalyst control panel and tried it at both extremes of the performance/quality slider and exact same results on both ends =/

So any way, i heard that older drivers some times are better.... and after googling i saw some forums which said 5.10 drivers and some say the later 4.x drivers are good.....but they are usually from forums from 2004 and such so since those suggestions would be a bit dated... any one have suggestions/ideas for fixing these problems or drivers i should change to?

Sys specs:
--Win XP + SP2 and all other updates
--Sound Blaster Audigy 2
--Radeon 9800 Pro (256 i believe?) with the 6.9 drivers
--2.08 Ghz AMD Athlon
--1.5 GB DDR Ram

miligor

Try Omega 5.8 driver. ATI 9800 is an old card and works better with 5.x drivers, Omega 5.8 is my (and not only my) favorit. BUT, GTA_SA having problem with audio driver, so U can try newer audio driver, or try onboard audio with newest audio driver. I solved problem with newest audio driver/codec (Realtek AC'97 WDM 3.91 for my MB).

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
uninstall all ati software from add/remove programs then on your hard drive under c:/ there should be a folder named ATI delete it Go here and get this program http://www.drivercleaner.net/professional.php unzip it reboot into safe mode if it makes u feel better run it check all ati entry's, proceed with cleaning, reboot then reinstall ati drivers/ccc package.
still have problems repeat the above and install the drivers only with out ccc

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
1./ Did you change anything else? e.g. motherboard?

Those blocks don't look like driver problems, but hardware issues. Its your GPU or memory giving up.

2./ Did you overclock the card?

3./ Do you have an original cooler, or aftermarket?

4./ Have you checked the heatsink and fan is fitting properly?

As a temporary fix, try using ATI Tool to dial back both GPU and memory frequency. Although the card will be a bit slower, if that fixes your problem, then you have a resolveable hardware issue. If it doesn't then I think your card is permanently damaged.

Note that sometimes the hardware can fall over due to power issues.

5./ Did you install any other devices while upgrading the PC?

6./ What is the rated W of your PSU?

If you can answer all these 6 questions, we can help further.

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
To me it sounds a lot like the graphics artifacts you see when overclocking. Is your video card fan working properly, and is the ambient temp in the case very high?

Also, I have seen lots of cases where users had older hardware and lots of issues with current drivers. you may need to roll back your drivers to the ones on the installation CD. Those drivers were optimized for that particular series of cards, as well as the other system hardware that was out then.

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
sry but this statement "Those blocks don't look like driver problems, but hardware issues. Its your GPU or memory giving up." is wrong you cannot take screen shots of artifacts to my knowledge someone correct me if im wrong and also i have experienced the same exact problems which his screen shot shows occasionally my windows boots like that when i install new ati drivers it did it a lot when i had my 9800 pr0 128 both of which are well cooled and not overclocked with no artifacts verified by the latest stable version of ati tool 0.24 to be exact

and "Also, I have seen lots of cases where users had older hardware and lots of issues with current drivers. you may need to roll back your drivers to the ones on the installation CD. Those drivers were optimized for that particular series of cards, as well as the other system hardware that was out then."

way off 9800pro is not that old and ati has fixed many problems with new drivers and provided decent increases in performance in there 9k series cards so original drivers are definitely not the way to go in fact some new games will crash if u don't have new drivers hence the reason when u look at the faq's for most games they recommend you have the latest drivers for your graphics card to ensure it works

Last edited:

OniRyo

Alright... i'm downloading the Omega Catalyst 5.8 drivers to see if that helps...

As far as the sound drivers go, i have the most up to date for my card....not sure why sound drivers would cause graphical issues like that but i'll give it a shot if the Omega Driver things dont work.

1./ Did you change anything else? e.g. motherboard?

Those blocks don't look like driver problems, but hardware issues. Its your GPU or memory giving up.

2./ Did you overclock the card?

3./ Do you have an original cooler, or aftermarket?

4./ Have you checked the heatsink and fan is fitting properly?

As a temporary fix, try using ATI Tool to dial back both GPU and memory frequency. Although the card will be a bit slower, if that fixes your problem, then you have a resolveable hardware issue. If it doesn't then I think your card is permanently damaged.

Note that sometimes the hardware can fall over due to power issues.

5./ Did you install any other devices while upgrading the PC?

6./ What is the rated W of your PSU?

-1-3) all my hardware is the exact same as before the format. Only the drivers are different. Also I dont really feel confident in modding my hardware (too pricey if you screw up o.o; )
-4) Not yet but this doesnt seem like an over-heating issue... my games run full speed and such, its just the weird graphical glitches which give me problems.
-5) My mouse, keyboard, sound drivers and some things like that... nothing which wasnt in before though when things worked fine (and for the most part exact same drivers with the exception of the audio drivers)
-6) I'm not 100% sure but i believe it is rated for 500W

Well the Omega drivers finished downloading so i guess its time to go yank the old drivers and stick in the new ones to see if that helps.... (worse case i just put in the ones i have now back in) Thanks for all the help so far :)

System Name ICE-QUAD // ICE-CRUNCH
Processor Q6600 // 2x Xeon 5472
Memory 2GB DDR // 8GB FB-DIMM
Video Card(s) HD3850-AGP // FireGL 3400
Display(s) 2 x Samsung 204Ts = 3200x1200
Audio Device(s) Audigy 2
Software Windows Server 2003 R2 as a Workstation now migrated to W10 with regrets.
"you cannot take screen shots of artifacts to my knowledge someone correct me if im wrong"

Sorry m8, you wrong on that one! Think about how taking a screenshot works. Just exactly from where does the computer "take the shot"?

Drawing a 2D or 3D scene
PC Memory -> CPU Instructions -> GPU + memory -> Video card screen buffer -> VGA output

Screenshot
Video card screen buffer = rendered scene -> PC memory = "screenshot"

OniRyo

Hmm well now i'm getting those odd artifact blocks in Jedi Acad using the omega 5.8 drivers although the polygons dont go crazy and the blocks dont stay...

And almost immediatly after when i went to GTA SA it kicked in with the crazy polygon things.... (which i got a screen cap of this time, http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/6750/gtasagraphicbugpoliesrd9.jpg ) If this is caused by sound drivers i'm not really sure what i can do about it... have the latest drivers already... =/

About to uninstall all the ATI stuff and use Drivercleaner then re-install the omega 5.8 drivers. Hopfully this will fix things... I'll post back again when i can verify one way or another on this...

miligor

Sorry, my mistake. I don't read carefuly. When GTA_SA freezes and PC restarts - there was a problem with audio driver (Realtek). About qestion of newer and older ATI driver, listen this: with 4.x and 5.x Omega drivers I was have 17500 3Dmarks (3DM 2001), but with 6.x only 14000!!!

miligor

Sorry, my mistake. I don't read carefuly. When GTA_SA freezes and PC restarts - there was a problem with audio driver (Realtek). About qestion of newer and older ATI driver, listen this: with 4.x and 5.x Omega drivers I was have 17500 3Dmarks (3DM 2001), but with 6.x only 14000!!!

OniRyo

ahh No problem. Thats a pretty impressive performance increases though :) I've just been putting in the normal Omega 5.x drivers and not the softmod ones.... the second option (9500SE) says it includes the 9500SE -> 9800 something/pro/something..... so wasnt sure if thats the one i should use (mine is 9800 Pro)..... figure probably cant hurt anything by using the normals... last time i tried these i didnt take out EVERYTHING ATI sooo doing that now (MMC, Guide Plus+...everything ATI related) and hopfully this will work...

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
About to uninstall all the ATI stuff and use Drivercleaner then re-install the omega 5.8 drivers. Hopfully this will fix things... I'll post back again when i can verify one way or another on this...

Well, worst comes to worst? If you want to, I have an ATI 9800 XP Pro (best model there was of this board) & I can sell it to you, cheap!

(My rep here's good, you can check on that... & this videocard is in 100% PERFECT ORDER - I went back to NVidia, with the card in my signature is why (better board))

:)

* I was going to sell it to W2CHYK here, but that fell through (his folks money is why, & school clothes were of greater import & they SHOULD be to his folks imo as well)... so, it is up for grabs again:

$110 plus shipping (or, "o.b.o.", if you can show me a current price for that one online, near the date of THIS post/current? I will beat it...).

APK

P.S.=> If you need a replacement that is, a BETTER one in fact (more pipes, faster RAMDAC & Memory timings, etc.) & cheap/good offer...

You would have trouble beating my asking price, imo @ least.

I have it up on various spots online like POSTAROO.COM etc. as well, so if you want it? I will give you "first dibs" & all that...

Wwe can discuss this in "private messaging" here if needed, or via email (if you want it that is to replace that one IF it is buggy)... apk

Last edited:
System Name Half-fucked overclockedd
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k 3.40Ghz @ 4.20Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte P67 UD7 B3
Cooling Antec Kuhler H2O 920
Memory G.Skill RipjawsX DDR3 8GB X2 1866Mhz (Model F3-2133C9D-16GXH)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti Extreme Edition
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB / Western Digital Black Cavier 2TB X2
Display(s) Dell U2715H 2560X1440
Case NZXT Phantom
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Professional
Power Supply Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1000W
Mouse Logitech G510
Keyboard Tesoro Excalibur Spectrum
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Professional
Well, worst comes to worst? If you want to, I have an ATI 9800 XP Pro (best model there was of this board) & I can sell it to you, cheap!

(My rep here's good, you can check on that... & this videocard is in 100% PERFECT ORDER - I went back to NVidia, with the card in my signature is why (better board))

:)

* I was going to sell it to W2CHYK here, but that fell through (his folks money is why, & school clothes were of greater import & they SHOULD be to his folks imo as well)... so, it is up for grabs again:

$110 plus shipping (or, "o.b.o.", if you can show me a current price for that one online, near the date of THIS post/current? I will beat it...).

APK

P.S.=> If you need a replacement that is, a BETTER one in fact (more pipes, faster RAMDAC & Memory timings, etc.) & cheap/good offer...

You would have trouble beating my asking price, imo @ least.

I have it up on various spots online like POSTAROO.COM etc. as well, so if you want it? I will give you "first dibs" & all that...

Wwe can discuss this in "private messaging" here if needed, or via email (if you want it that is to replace that one IF it is buggy)... apk

Lame. Just private message him stuff like this dude :shadedshu He's asking for help not buying a new card here.

Anyway it seems to be a hardware problem to me rather then the drivers. Your card is probably going to die soon. The problems you've experienced is almost the same as what i did before the card went BAM gone. Guess you probably have to get ready to buy a new VGA soon.

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
Lame. Just private message him stuff like this dude :shadedshu He's asking for help not buying a new card here.

"Sieg Heil", mein fuhrer!

APK

P.S.=> It was meant as a "worst case scenario" help, a card of that nature/family as a replacement... helping he, and yes, myself! apk

Last edited:

OniRyo

Hmm I'm starting to agree with the idea of the card close to death.... Jedi Acad was just giving me the exact same block crap GTA SA was doing.... Well on the up side i was thinking of upgrading this comp any way... one of those nice dual core CPUs (with a new mobo to match just for good measure), might as well just toss a new graphics into the mix while i'm at it if it comes down to it....

Any way, tomarrow i think i'll open the comp up and double check everything in there is good heat-wise.... It should be but my house is a bit dusty so i might need to de-dust the gaphics if thats causing it build up excess heat when its doing the more demanding 3D rendering stuff (doesnt seem to ever act up except when i'm playing a 3D based game... ie: jedi knight, GTA, America's Army....) I'm a little newbish about the details of how the hardware/drivers work so it may not make any diff but it seems like if it was going to over-heat it'd do so when its doing the more high-demand things.... *shrug*

t_ski

Former Staff
System Name My i7 Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 6800K
Motherboard Asus X99-A II
Cooling Nickel-plated EK Supremacy EVO, D5 with XSPC Bayres & BIX Quad Radiator
Memory 4 x 8GB EVGA SuperSC DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) EVGA 1080 SuperClocked
Storage Samsung 950 Pro 256GB m.2 SSD + 480GB Sandisk storage SSD
Display(s) Three Asus 24" VW246H LCD's
Case Silverstone TJ07
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX1200
Keyboard Corsair K95
Software Windows 10 x64 Pro
Yes, a heavy dust build-up can create a layer of insulation, and I have heard that it might cause an electro-static discharge as well.