• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Calling all Phenom II Overclocking Gurus!

cadaveca

My name is Dave
:banghead:

:roll:

1.42 is a far cry from 1.55v. Also link me to the white sheet that says before degradation. I've never read that. Also why do I need to do stepping research?

Not you...those looking for 720BE that will hit 4ghz.

First, here's 955 product page...max VID 1.5v. that's 1.5v max, stock. (there goes your idea:rolleyes:)

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

:slap:

Do you know who Macci is? Sami From his mouth to my ears(1.55v is safe on high-end aircooling). You calling AMD officials liars?

Here's his twitter, ask him yourself.:

http://twitter.com/SamiMaekinen

:D

Like I said, do your research, you can find the info if you look for it. The example above is enough to prove you wrong.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
This is what I said and the link you provided proves me right.

I didn't say you can't run it. What I said is it will cause chip degradation. Which it will. 1.55 is max before you fry it under stock cooling. Never mind the degradation. It may last months. Hell it may last a year or so but not much past that.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
This is what I said and the link you provided proves me right.

OK, tell ya what...you get me a stock ocoler for 955BE, and I'll run my chip @ 1.55v. We'll see if it fries...:rolleyes:

AMD silicon is low-leakage, allowing much higher volts than you think. AMD had demos of 940BE running 1.6v, said under Coolit Elite, this was perfectly safe.

Everything you say would apply to Intel chips, which use a very different type of silicon, and as such are subject to degredation.

I know I'm right, I've given you a link that show your

Also anything above 1.44v on a 45nm CPU will cause chip degradation. This I wont debate.

as pure wrong. Maybe IN YOUR EXPERIENCE these things are true, but I get my info direct from AMD officials, or i would have STFU a long time ago.

I mean...my board alone shows your

Upping the FSB to much will fry your chip set. 7xx series boards from my experiance do not like anything above 15% OC.

as wrong...I'm doing double your 15%, under prime95 for the past two hours, so I could show a screenie here, showing this statement as just your experience, not nessecarily fact.

I tell you what, you contact AMD yourself, contact Sami, or Simon Solotko, and see what they say. I need to prove nothing...I've already shown you as wrong...you think AMD would sell chips with a VID that would kill them, in less than the warranty period? PLEASE.

I mean, really, read these threads/previews:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=81386

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/press/Phenom_II_Preview_1.html

http://www.amdzone.com/index.php/reviews/60/11033-amd-phenom-ii-x4-940-black-edition

It's very possible to buy a 940BE or 955BE, and get a chip with 1.5v stock.

Where does it say 1.55v will fry it? How come my chip isn't dead..I hit 1.55v under 720BE cooler...which is a tiny peice of alu with no heatpipe!! cpu still works...???

Heck, even send W1zz here a pm, and see what he says. He's probably the most impartial reviewer on the planet. I don't gotta prove nothing. But I am having fun!

:toast:

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
OK, tell ya what...you get me a stock ocoler for 955BE, and I'll run my chip @ 1.55v. We'll see if it frys...:rolleyes:

AMD silicon is low-leakage, allowign muhc higher volts than you think. AMD had demos of 955BE running 1.6v, said under Coolit Elite this was perfectly safe.

Everything you say would apply to Intel chips, which use a very different type of silicon, and as such are subject to degredation.

I know I'm right, I've given you a link that show your

as pure wrong. Maybe IN YOUR EXPERIENCE these things are ture, but I get my info direct form AMD officials.

I mean...my board alone shows your

as wrong...I'm doing double your 15%, under prime95 for the past two hours, so I could show a screenie here, as jsut your experience, not nessecarily fact.

I tell you what, you contact AMD yourself, contact Sami, or Simon Solotko, and see what they say. I need to prove nothing...I've already shown you as wrong...you think AMD would sell chips with a VID that would kill them, in less than the warranty period? PLEASE.

I mean, really, read these threads:

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=81386

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/articles/press/Phenom_II_Preview_1.html

http://www.amdzone.com/index.php/reviews/60/11033-amd-phenom-ii-x4-940-black-edition

It's very possible to buy a 940BE or 955BE, and get a chip with 1.5v stock.

Where does it say 1.55v will fry it? How come my chip isn't dead..I hit 1.55v under 720BE cooler...which is a tiny peice of alu with no heatpipe!! cpu still works...

Heck, even send W1zz here a pm, and see what he says. He's probably the most impartial reviewer on the planet. I don't gotta prove nothing. But I am having fun!

:toast:

Ok man. Nothing you have posted proves me wrong. However in the link you provided you proved me right. You can name drop all you want. Like I said and AMD said 1.5v is max on stock cooling before degradation. This is why I say stick to 1.44, 1.45 for life span. But you keep running on 1.6. After all what does AMD know. :rolleyes:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ok man. Nothing you have posted proves me wrong. However in the link you provided you proved me right. You can name drop all you want. Like I said and AMD said 1.5v is max on stock cooling before degradation. This is why I say stick to 1.44, 1.45 for life span. But you keep running on 1.6. After all what does AMD know. :rolleyes:

:wtf:

I dropped names so you could contact them, and ask them if they said this was fine or not. No other reason. I'm a house husband, father of 4, ex-con, sociopath, sitting in my basement, so I don't expect you to believe me. But contact those guys...and beleive them, as I do.

You prove nothing, other than your stubbornness.

Really, I don't mind being wrong...at least the proper info would be out in the open.

So you contact them, ask them if they ever said that, because obviously you are changing you story to suit the truth...

Also anything above 1.44v on a 45nm CPU will cause chip degradation. This I wont debate.

Did you forget posting that?:shadedshu

Like I said and AMD said 1.5v is max on stock cooling before degradation. This is why I say stick to 1.44, 1.45 for life span. But you keep running on 1.6. After all what does AMD know. :rolleyes:

You just contradicted yourself.

So which is it now? You get your info from where? Your experience?

I got my info form the above people, who work for AMD. I'll listen to them before you.

After all what does AMD know. :rolleyes:

Apparantly, not much, if we listen to you.

Since you didn't read the links, obviously:

Air: Cooler Master Hyper Z600 - Around 1.5-1.55V / 33C
Water/Tec: CoolIT Freezone Elite - Around 1.6V / 38C
Phase Change: VapoChill - 1.7V / Below 0C (software / MB wouldn't report negative numbers)
LN2: 1.75V (at least during the Crysis demo... *grin*)

Last edited:

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Ok lets get down to facts.

I said
Why? Because AMD states that the maximum on their 45nm chips is 1.5v. Thats before SEVER DEGRADATION. Understand that the higher the voltage the more electron migration you have no matter how cool you keep the chip. So with that being said anything above the stock voltage decreases the life span.

As for the guys on twitter I could care less about. AMD officially says 1.5v as a maximum. Period. Again I'm telling you just because you can do something DOES NOT mean you should.

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Processor Intel i9 - 9900k @ 5.1Ghz - 1.31v
Motherboard Asux ROG Maximus XI Hero Wifi
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Memory 16GB DDR 3600 Trident Z RGB
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 2080TI
Storage 1xWD black NVME 500GB, 1xSamsung 970 Evo Plus NVME 1TB
Display(s) 2 Dell Gaming 27" 1440P Gsync
Case Lian LI PC-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Evga P2 1200Watt
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Keyboard Corsair Strafe rgb silent
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores i'm working on that
chip degradation can happen at different voltages depending on outside conditions such as core temp, cleanliness of the electricity(clear wave form, low amount of fluctuation), THE biggest factor on where a chip degrades is temperature. AMD has stated time and time again that the "max safe voltage" is 1.5 on stock cooling, and that additional cooling and volts is nessessary to achieve higher oc.

Chip degradation can happen at 1.4v if yo push the chip up in frequency just causing more heat, the same thing will happen.

On another note, even if chip degradation does occur, it takes years, much longer then the proccy will ever be used for. I personally have been pushing 1.56v through my phenom 2 940 at 4.0Ghz since jan 26, and it runs like a champ.

The defining factor on where you can push the phenom's to is the voltage. Amd states more importantly that killing the life of the processor that "electron migration" will begin or can begin to occur around and above 1.62~~ volts iirc. This general failure of ic's can happen to any ic that is currently in use, it's just the way it is, however electromigration is said to happen so far into the chips lifespan that even it is rarely a considered factor when determining how many volts to push through.

As far as amd chipsets not oc'ing... i'm not sure, i got my 790gx board at 275x14 right now to test the theory of not wanted to run a high fsb, and it's prime stable about 10 mins now, nb at 2800 or so and the htt link at about 2450...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Ok lets get down to facts.

I said Why? Because AMD states that the maximum on their 45nm chips is 1.5v. Thats before SEVER DEGRADATION. Understand that the higher the voltage the more electron migration you have no matter how cool you keep the chip. So with that being said anything above the stock voltage decreases the life span.

As for the guys on twitter I could care less about. AMD officially says 1.5v as a maximum. Period. Again I'm telling you just because you can do something DOES NOT mean you should.

But obviously you don't understand the basic principles of semiconductors.

OK, just a minute. Let me just say, I hope you don't take any of this too serious...I thoroughly enjoy discussions like this, so at this point I'll say thanks for continuing to dicuss this.

Now, both Sami Maekinen and Simon Solotko work @ AMD, and have for quite some time. These are the guys at preview events and press demos who show off what AMD cpus can do. Sami in particular...check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Hf6d404QY&feature=channel

Dude who says "Ladies and gentlemen, we call this the abomination!".....Simon Solotko.

So when they tell me something is OK, i believe them.

So, as exodusprime says here:

chip degradation can happen at different voltages depending on outside conditions such as core temp, cleanliness of the electricity(clear wave form, low amount of fluctuation), THE biggest factor on where a chip degrades is temperature. AMD has stated time and time again that the "max safe voltage" is 1.5 on stock cooling, and that additional cooling and volts is nessessary to achieve higher oc.

Chip degradation can happen at 1.4v if yo push the chip up in frequency just causing more heat, the same thing will happen.

On another note, even if chip degradation does occur, it takes years, much longer then the proccy will ever be used for. I personally have been pushing 1.56v through my phenom 2 940 at 4.0Ghz since jan 26, and it runs like a champ.

The defining factor on where you can push the phenom's to is the voltage. Amd states more importantly that killing the life of the processor that "electron migration" will begin or can begin to occur around and above 1.62~~ volts iirc. This general failure of ic's can happen to any ic that is currently in use, it's just the way it is, however electromigration is said to happen so far into the chips lifespan that even it is rarely a considered factor when determining how many volts to push through.

As far as amd chipsets not oc'ing... i'm not sure, i got my 790gx board at 275x14 right now to test the theory of not wanted to run a high fsb, and it's prime stable about 10 mins now, nb at 2800 or so and the htt link at about 2450...

You'll find that just above 300, the chip will start to loose USB at stock volts, and will require a boost in voltage. As long as you keep temps in check, it's perfectly fine...

This is the nature of semi-conductors. The amount of current they can handle, and how much leakage there is(higher leakage chips are more prone EM) changes with temps.

High leakage chips scale the best...I pushed and pushed for them to relase a high-leakage chip....and we got TWKR.

Yes, I personally take credit for those TWKR chips...it was my idea, and I can show my posts about this long before they came out.

The main issue I have with your claims, Mailman, is you state votlages that are known safe, on stock cooling. Provide more cooling, and the chip can take more...as exodus prime says, this voltage is around 1.625-1.7v.

If you can keep temps lower than 63c, 1.5v is fine. Go to lower than 55c, and 1.55v is fine, and even up to 60c or so will have the chip last 4-5 years, if not longer.

Yes, running these voltages at the limit of temps might cause damage...but usually to the mobo...and specifically to the PWM. Because of this, there are protections built into the board to prevent damage, called OCP. The chipset cam be damaged as well, sure...if you do not set other voltages and offsets properly...like the OLD 939 AMD chips, that needed cpuvolts to be 1/2 of DRAM volts at the extreme...when we we running 2.8v-3.0v memory. Running 1.25v on the cpu back then...the chip would die.

I showed a screenie of me pushing 1.57...and that bounces up to 1.6v, as the current the chip uses fluctuates. Excess current is converted into voltage. This is my daily voltage for my cpu, and I never change it. My cooling can handle it, so I leave it there.

If this chip dies...you better beleive you'll be hearing about it...

All voltages must meet specific ratios. It's like memory timings...there is a specific formula that needs to be used. Is all this info out in the public domain?

Nope. Some of it is...

But over the past 8 years or so, Ive been trying to bring more and more out....before we were able to select TRFC and TRD settings in bios, I was asking for it. the more voices we have asking for more info, the more we will get. So if I anger you a bit here...good..maybe it will be enough that you'll call up AMD and find out the truth for yourself.

I don't know where you get your info from, but I certainly hope it's not forums. Go direct, man. You might be amazed at how open these guys are...and really..they want to help! Lots of good folks out there, willing to lend a hand, or provide info that can help!

:rockout:

Last edited:
System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Cooling ek supremacy evo full nickle, 2xEK 360 Radiators, ek d5 pump/res combo, ek full cover 2080ti block
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Software Windows 10 Pro
here is some screens from the data sheets for the phenom2s

and here is the brief from amd's page about the phenom 2 955 chips, hopefully this settles the issue....

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I love how that graph shows you can push 140w @ 64c. Guess what voltage that is? :laugh: The info is there, mailman. Compare the two, and it shows that with better cooling, the chip can handle more....

I already posted the link to the 955 page, and he changed his tune to say 1.5v was fine.:rolleyes:

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Software Windows 10 Pro
hey cadaveca are you familiar with the asus m3n-ht boards and it's bios?? i'm trying to get this thing back to 3.8 in x64 before i ditch it and go back to 4.0Ghz in x86.... i'm curious on what i can push for voltages for teh mcp northbridge, htt link, and vddb voltage...

I've always pushed for auto or 2.72 on the vddb settings, higest is 2.87 in 4 increments
the nb(not cpu nb) i push about 1.42-1.45 through it in x64, in x86 i can leave it on auto which is leading me to believe the nb is directly Correlating with my lack of oc possibility in x64.. however 1.45 seems pushing it in my book

the htt link i push to 1.36 or lower, however i find i can run a 3k htt link at 1.20 so i'm sure i'm well above.

Either way hitting 3.8 in x64 is turning out to be a chore... i'm at 3.75 @ 1.49v right now and i've been fine get 4.0 at 1.575v...

btw if your curious about cooling i'm sitting idle at 28 and full load orthos at 43-46 under water, ambient of 20c.

Corduroy_Jr

Processor Phenom II 965
Motherboard Biostar TA870+
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Performa
Memory Kingston hyperx 1600mhz 2x8gb
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon HD 6870 DirectCU II 990/1250 stock volts
Storage Seagate 500gb, Wd 1tb black
Display(s) SAMSUNG 2433BW 24
Case Thermaltake v3 black edition
Audio Device(s) onboard, Logitech x540
Power Supply Antec true power modular 650 watt
Software Windows 7 x64 ultimate
all i ever had was Amd from 754/939 to am2/am3 and not once i blew any cpu, only killed 2 boards which i don't think was my fault, Abit an8 3rd eye got a corrupted bios, Asus an8-e went died after swapping video cards for some odd reason, all the amd cpu's i had i overclock them, cranked up vcore highest the board would let me, they ran fairly cool, with the new phenom II i never go above 1.55v, had my asus m4a79-deluxe since march its been rock solid

cadaveca

My name is Dave
hey cadaveca are you familiar with the asus m3n-ht boards and it's bios?? i'm trying to get this thing back to 3.8 in x64 before i ditch it and go back to 4.0Ghz in x86.... i'm curious on what i can push for voltages for teh mcp northbridge, htt link, and vddb voltage...

I've always pushed for auto or 2.72 on the vddb settings, higest is 2.87 in 4 increments
the nb(not cpu nb) i push about 1.42-1.45 through it in x64, in x86 i can leave it on auto which is leading me to believe the nb is directly Correlating with my lack of oc possibility in x64.. however 1.45 seems pushing it in my book

the htt link i push to 1.36 or lower, however i find i can run a 3k htt link at 1.20 so i'm sure i'm well above.

Either way hitting 3.8 in x64 is turning out to be a chore... i'm at 3.75 @ 1.49v right now and i've been fine get 4.0 at 1.575v...

btw if your curious about cooling i'm sitting idle at 28 and full load orthos at 43-46 under water, ambient of 20c.

I don't do nV products, so I'm not sure.;)

64-bit problems generally relate to cpu, as the cpu is never actually in "full" use under 32-bit like it is in X64.

Ergo, I always test in X64...and overclock should be able to handle ANY apps, for me.

I don't change HTT voltages. All i ever adjust is cpu and NB volts.

In regards to what voltages may be OK, when it comes to chipsets, look at who makes the silicon, and hceck other products under the same process...nV chipsets are most likely TSMC fabbed, so...

System Name HOMECOMPUTER
Audio Device(s) onboard
Mouse Zowie FK1+
Software Windows 10 Pro
i gotcha, thanx for the input, it's just that at times things will be working fine for hours and then it will cease to boot... it's an odd issue... tbh i'm really just considering going back to x86 windows, i notice little to no difference in either(nobody flame, this is a personal observation only), i do enjoy having the extra 725megs of ram available, however i don't think i ever come close, in wow i'm using roughly 48% of my 4 gigs and 54% of my 3275MB in x86... either way i'm no where close to needing to go up with the memory or tied to x64... i'm gonna play around a bit more with it though and see what i can get out of it.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4
:banghead:

:roll:

Not you...those looking for 720BE that will hit 4ghz.

First, here's 955 product page...max VID 1.5v. that's 1.5v max, stock. (there goes your idea:rolleyes:)

http://products.amd.com/en-us/Deskt...2=&f3=&f4=&f5=&f6=&f7=&f8=&f9=&f10=&f11=&f12=

:slap:

Do you know who Macci is? Sami From his mouth to my ears(1.55v is safe on high-end aircooling). You calling AMD officials liars?

Here's his twitter, ask him yourself.:

http://twitter.com/SamiMaekinen

:D

Like I said, do your research, you can find the info if you look for it. The example above is enough to prove you wrong.
Yeah, I am calling them liars, as many have already reported degradation at over 1.5v, even on water. Whether or not that's the majority doesn't matter, the fact remains that degradation is a possibility above stove voltage on any silicon, regardless of manufacturer or process used.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I don't know why I'm in this thread, but you can run current AMD chips up to 1.55v on air cooling, straight from AMD's mouth. Anyways, your argument can stop here, let's get back to the original purpose of this thread and stop crapping all over it. If you want to continue your little back and forth, take it to PM's.

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
But obviously you don't understand the basic principles of semiconductors.

OK, just a minute. Let me just say, I hope you don't take any of this too serious...I thoroughly enjoy discussions like this, so at this point I'll say thanks for continuing to dicuss this.

Now, both Sami Maekinen and Simon Solotko work @ AMD, and have for quite some time. These are the guys at preview events and press demos who show off what AMD cpus can do. Sami in particular...check out this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Hf6d404QY&feature=channel

Dude who says "Ladies and gentlemen, we call this the abomination!".....Simon Solotko.

So when they tell me something is OK, i believe them.

So, as exodusprime says here:

You'll find that just above 300, the chip will start to loose USB at stock volts, and will require a boost in voltage. As long as you keep temps in check, it's perfectly fine...

This is the nature of semi-conductors. The amount of current they can handle, and how much leakage there is(higher leakage chips are more prone EM) changes with temps.

High leakage chips scale the best...I pushed and pushed for them to relase a high-leakage chip....and we got TWKR.

Yes, I personally take credit for those TWKR chips...it was my idea, and I can show my posts about this long before they came out.

The main issue I have with your claims, Mailman, is you state votlages that are known safe, on stock cooling. Provide more cooling, and the chip can take more...as exodus prime says, this voltage is around 1.625-1.7v.

If you can keep temps lower than 63c, 1.5v is fine. Go to lower than 55c, and 1.55v is fine, and even up to 60c or so will have the chip last 4-5 years, if not longer.

Yes, running these voltages at the limit of temps might cause damage...but usually to the mobo...and specifically to the PWM. Because of this, there are protections built into the board to prevent damage, called OCP. The chipset cam be damaged as well, sure...if you do not set other voltages and offsets properly...like the OLD 939 AMD chips, that needed cpuvolts to be 1/2 of DRAM volts at the extreme...when we we running 2.8v-3.0v memory. Running 1.25v on the cpu back then...the chip would die.

I showed a screenie of me pushing 1.57...and that bounces up to 1.6v, as the current the chip uses fluctuates. Excess current is converted into voltage. This is my daily voltage for my cpu, and I never change it. My cooling can handle it, so I leave it there.

If this chip dies...you better beleive you'll be hearing about it...

All voltages must meet specific ratios. It's like memory timings...there is a specific formula that needs to be used. Is all this info out in the public domain?

Nope. Some of it is...

But over the past 8 years or so, Ive been trying to bring more and more out....before we were able to select TRFC and TRD settings in bios, I was asking for it. the more voices we have asking for more info, the more we will get. So if I anger you a bit here...good..maybe it will be enough that you'll call up AMD and find out the truth for yourself.

I don't know where you get your info from, but I certainly hope it's not forums. Go direct, man. You might be amazed at how open these guys are...and really..they want to help! Lots of good folks out there, willing to lend a hand, or provide info that can help!

:rockout:

LOL you seriously think like in all honesty that we would sincerely bealive that TWKR was your idea? like honestly? their is nothing in tweaker that is any diffirent from other processors in its series other than the fact that it was done on better silicone. Which along with the multi unlock is why they clock o so well. architecture wise they are the same. Not only that but their is not a single chance that a everyday person could say o hai can we have a high leak chip? and have it done. not even someone in AMD can do that. it is a team of people that must a gree on the direction they should bring their architecture and chips. So unless you can officialy prove you work for AMD can get all your architectual engineer buddies in here who can also prove they work for AMD. I totally call BS on this claim. Please before saying something like that try to give more stimulating info than the names of people you could get off of AMD's contact Us page or on a public twitter group. thanks

hi im Solaris17 and windows 7 was my idea

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
LOL you seriously think like in all honesty that we would sincerely bealive that TWKR was your idea? like honestly? their is nothing in tweaker that is any diffirent from other processors in its series other than the fact that it was done on better silicone. Which along with the multi unlock is why they clock o so well. architecture wise they are the same. Not only that but their is not a single chance that a everyday person could say o hai can we have a high leak chip? and have it done. not even someone in AMD can do that. it is a team of people that must a gree on the direction they should bring their architecture and chips. So unless you can officialy prove you work for AMD can get all your architectual engineer buddies in here who can also prove they work for AMD. I totally call BS on this claim. Please before saying something like that try to give more stimulating info than the names of people you could get off of AMD's contact Us page or on a public twitter group. thanks

hi im Solaris17 and windows 7 was my idea

Way to flamebait more, I mean what I said here:

I don't know why I'm in this thread, but you can run current AMD chips up to 1.55v on air cooling, straight from AMD's mouth. Anyways, your argument can stop here, let's get back to the original purpose of this thread and stop crapping all over it. If you want to continue your little back and forth, take it to PM's.

Now drop it.:slap:

Solaris17

Super Dainty Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rocinante
Processor I9 14900KS
Motherboard EVGA z690 Dark KINGPIN (modded BIOS)
Cooling EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB
Memory 64GB Gskill Trident Z5 DDR5 6000 @6400
Video Card(s) MSI SUPRIM Liquid X 4090
Storage 1x 500GB 980 Pro | 1x 1TB 980 Pro | 1x 8TB Corsair MP400
Display(s) Odyssey OLED G9 G95SC
Case Lian Li o11 Evo Dynamic White
Audio Device(s) Moondrop S8's on Schiit Hel 2e
Power Supply Bequiet! Power Pro 12 1500w
Mouse Lamzu Atlantis mini (White)
Keyboard Monsgeek M3 Lavender, Akko Crystal Blues
VR HMD Quest 3
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores I dont have time for that.
Way to flamebait more, I mean what I said here:

Now drop it.:slap:

my apologies i was still typing when you posted that. time stamp.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
System Name Filtration tower
Processor i9 7900@4.4ghz
Motherboard ASRock X299 Taichi
Cooling Air
Memory 64g 3200 quad channel
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080Ti
Storage 500gb Nvme, 200gb SSD, 1700gb HDD
Display(s) 34" Acer Predator 3440x1440
Case Thermaltake v71
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 T2
what an abrupt end of a such informing argument ,, o well,, lets get on with it,,
got a question for u pros..
higher NorthBridge frequency ups cpu voltage requirement true?

Enmity

System Name Enmity
Processor Intel i5 3570K 4.6Ghz@1.320vcore
Motherboard Asus P8Z77-V
Cooling Corsair H100
Memory 2 x 4 GB Mushkin Frostbyte 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) 2 x MSI 5850's
Storage 1 x 90GB OCZ Vertex2 SSD, 1 x 1TB HDD, 3 x 320GB HDD
Display(s) Samsung XL2370
Case Coolermaster Storm Stryker
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar DG PCI + Senn HD485's
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
from what ive gathered, the nb at higher frequencies will cause more heat and thus might need a little more voltage on the NB itself to keep stable, I haven't experienced needing more vcore because of a higher nb though.

Im running 3.8Ghz with 1.504vcore with the NB at 2400Mhz. Ive left the nb voltage at stock which is proving to be really quite stable so far.

Im by no means a pro, im just showing what ive experienced with my 940 :)
what voltages/settings do you run for your 3.8ghz oc?

System Name Filtration tower
Processor i9 7900@4.4ghz
Motherboard ASRock X299 Taichi
Cooling Air
Memory 64g 3200 quad channel
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 1080Ti
Storage 500gb Nvme, 200gb SSD, 1700gb HDD
Display(s) 34" Acer Predator 3440x1440
Case Thermaltake v71
Power Supply EVGA supernova 850 T2
used 1.55volts for 3.8 just benched with it, now experimenting with 2.8 at 1.2volts