• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Partition space

rdog157h

I tried to create a partition through partition magic but it didnt work for some reason. Now I have an unnamed 20gig unallocated piece of disk I cannot seem to resize. What the heck do I need to do to get the space back? I cannot do it through the partition programs for some reason. Thanks

rdog157h

Well I have vista loaded on C: I dont want to extend that space I wanna somehow shrink it back into c: I am new at this so pardon my noobness

You're not understanding this. Unallocated space is NOT equal as (partitioned) empty space.

Unallocated space means empty RAW sectors on HDD. Empty space means an already allocated file system (either FAT32 or NTFS or any other) that is not occupied by any data.

So in your case, as DanTheBanjoman already suggested, don't try to shrink "unallocated space", extend the main (C:) partition instead. You can't shrink something that doesn't exist (unallocated space), but you can extend the existing partition over unallocated space.
So, just select the C: partition and extend it further. Program should automatically allow you to do that. I'm not using Partition Magic, but i usually done this with either:
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/pwizhome.html (also for 64bit OS!)

or

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/easeuspartitionman.html (only for 32bit OS!)

rdog157h

I downloaded Easues partition master, I re sized C: and it seemed like it was gonna work but when I hit apply it says there are some errors occurred while moving and resizing partition

rdog157h

And what kind of error EXACTLY is reported? What does it says exactly?

It says exactly this, with the bad spelling. " There are some error occurred while moving and resizing partition.

rdog157h

I click on ntfs, then click on resize/move partition, then drag c: over to where I want it, 102000 mb, and click ok, then apply. Thats when I get the error, it looks like its gonna start the process then error.