• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Internet Security / Anonymity

DudeWhere'sMyPC

I am trying to find the best way to optimize my security when I browse the net. I have heard about peer blocker on another site.

They were saying that anyone who choose to go to that site (a great quality site BTW) and download there they could get a notice just like he did.

He posted the details of the notice on the thread, but just the fact that any agency is searching to find download transactions makes me

want to remain anonymous when I surf. I also do not want to become part of some bot not or other parasitic type problems.

That led me to doubts about my overall internet security as well. I have avg free and some other free programs, but I want to learn about

and optimize the security options I have with windows vista security. Once I learn more I may choose a different OS to completely

optimize my security when I am browsing. If anyone has info via articles, posts, or even books anything is better than what I have.

I will be grateful to anyone who can offer me advise or direction to solid info. Thanks.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The best I can say is to be very careful with the sites you visit. There is no real such thing as being anonymous, as you computer MUST be indentified in some way in order to recieve network traffic.

Closing netwrok ports and only leaving those used by your apps open will help too...

I just re-image my OS every couple of weeks, so issues like virii and such don't bother me so much, and I do not buy anything online.

That said, if there was a complete lack of anonyminity on the internets, hackers and such would have no where to hide. If you aren't doing anything "shady", then there's no reason for you to hide either.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Sry for double post, but you can also check out "Microsoft Security Essentials"...it should be free.

i789

The best I can say is to be very careful with the sites you visit. There is no real such thing as being anonymous, as you computer MUST be indentified in some way in order to recieve network traffic.

Closing netwrok ports and only leaving those used by your apps open will help too...

I just re-image my OS every couple of weeks, so issues like virii and such don't bother me so much, and I do not buy anything online.

That said, if there was a complete lack of anonyminity on the internets, hackers and such would have no where to hide. If you aren't doing anything "shady", then there's no reason for you to hide either.

Ever heard of something called "Proxy Server", it is not about "identified", it is about having the same information relay back to you. and What is wrong by wanting to stay anonymous, the very moment you type, there are thousand people out there on the net, companies, governments, site owners, that will know what OS you are using, what browser you are using, how many time you click on the banner ads. It is not about doing "hacks", it is about keep your privacy yours. Besides the whole argument of "If I do nothing wrong, I have nothing to hide" is so stupid, its like "if I take all my cloth off, being naked, I can show everyone that I am not a terrorist". sorry cadaveca, I just have to say something about it :cool:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
Heh. I use my own proxy, that's a given. Proxy data can be garnered too, even, so the point is moot to me. If someone really wants to know what you are doing online, they will find out. It's not that hard.

You may call my opinion stupid, that is your right, but I'll stay civil, and say I do not agree.

I just simly fear nothing. I do nothing that may truly ill-affect any other person, so if I run into problems, karma has dictated it must be so. I will not hide from my destiny, I await it with open arms.

Someone may steal my indentity...they are welcome to it. I have no credit, a criminal record many pages long...I have nothing anyone would really want. You analogy is incorrect, as there are only so many things that you can do with a pc, and I could care less about all of them. I have a static IP, even, so should anyone, say, try to take my STEAM account, they would not have it for long...as it is only ever used from one IP.

OH NO!!! People know what I do!!! Lol. SO? I am truly un-impportant, and have no dissallusion that I may ever be in such a position to change that.

i789

dont be offended cadaveca, I am not saying your "opinion" is stupid, it is not your "opinion" in the 1st place actually, George W Bush has the patent for that since the Patriot Act day. and That is why I am so against Bush's stupid idea. ;) Hope there is no bad feeling between us :toast: But be anonymous is possible, hell yea !! Chainning Proxies, data encryption, and SSH tunnel etc can be done and can protect your privacy. I dont want to argue whether it is right or wrong to do it, that is a moral question.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
dont be offended cadaveca, I am not saying your "opinion" is stupid, it is not your "opinion" in the 1st place actually, George W Bush has the patent for that since the Patriot Act day. and That is why I am so against Bush's stupid idea. ;) Hope there is no bad feeling between us :toast: But be anonymous is possible, hell yea !! Chainning Proxies, data encryption, and SSH tunnel etc can be done and can protect your privacy. I dont want to argue whether it is right or wrong to do it, that is a moral question.

No worries dude! I don't care, really. I really do feel there is no need for privacy. I will tell anyone anything they want to know, and have no interest in what others do...that's thier choice.

And yes, it all can be done, but it can all also be undone, so I choose to spare myself the expense, and just be as open as possible.

FYI, I don't drive a car either, and burn only 4 litres of gas a year, with my lawnmower, due to my personal perspective on environmental impact. So, uh, I tend to take a different tact on everything, that' just who I am.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
your best bet is to daisy chain several vpn connections.

for example you get a dedicated server in <pirate-friendly-country> and then set it up to allow incoming vpn connections from your home pc, connect to the server and all your traffic will be routed through that server's ip addresses. to your own isp it will just look like you are moving a ton of (encrypted) traffic to an ip in another country, nothing they care about, nothing they can do about it.

if you are more paranoid, daisy chain several vpns.

once you start getting into the whole terrorism business, hiding will be a lot more difficult. avoid paper trail/money trail. use hacked machines/identities, setup VPNs/port forwarders there, hide in legal traffic, hide in a lot of such traffic, use load balancing over several VPNs.

dont be stupid and check your terrorist-inbox (that you usually check via your great vpn), using an internet cafe pc and then log on to your real name facebook account from that ip

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
crap, terrorist inbox forgot to check it and now it's full, probably missed my first/next/last mission :banghead:

cadaveca

My name is Dave

for example you get a dedicated server in <pirate-friendly-country> and then set it up to allow incoming vpn connections from your home pc, connect to the server and all your traffic will be routed through that server's ip addresses. to your own isp it will just look like you are moving a ton of (encrypted) traffic to an ip in another country, nothing they care about, nothing they can do about it.

once you start getting into the whole terrorism business, hiding will be a lot more difficult. avoid paper trail/money trail. use hacked machines/identities, setup VPNs/port forwarders there, hide in legal traffic, hide in a lot of such traffic, use load balancing over several VPNs.

dont be stupid and check your terrorist-inbox (that you usually check via your great vpn), using an internet cafe pc and then log on to your real name facebook account from that ip

:laugh:

:respect:

you've gone through this before, have you?

:laugh:

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
you've gone through this before, have you?

nope, i just learned a lot about networking since i started tpu, i do all the behind the scenes stuff and started with a very limited knowledge about servers, linux, scaling a website

System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64

hmm someone sounds like an ex-Scener...but hes right i know many people that do stuff similar to this for trading of warez, except they SSH into many different BNC linux shells and use SSL to logon to IRC. Same exact concept though as what wiz is saying but a little more secure.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
nope, i just learned a lot about networking since i started tpu, i do all the behind the scenes stuff and started with a very limited knowledge about servers, linux, scaling a website

Yes, of course, I was just ribbing you a bit, but as a website, protecting your data is a very legitimate concern. But you aren't really attempting to be anonymous, now are you?:laugh:

Normal citizens of the world, however, in my opinion, have no need for such protections. Any data purchased online should be backed up in hard copy(most sellers will tell you this on purchase, too), and data created by the user backed up in the same way. USB keys and external drives are both affordable, and secure, if handled properly.

If identifty theft is a concern, then you aren't dealing with the right financial institutions, IMHO. All must provide some sort of protection for you, and if you cannot deal with waiting for the problem to be resolved, then you shouldn't have taken the risk in the first place. And if you are giving someone your money to hold, and they cannot guarantee it for you, well, that choice is yours, if you want it.

Google's Chrome offers "anonymous" surfing, in as much as it can, and IMHO, if you need more than this, you are doing something you shouldn't, whether it be downloading illegally, or outright hacking.

Imaging HDD w/ OS should be regular practice , IMHO, The OP's concerns about losing control of his PC would only happen directly by his own actions, no? I mean, ISPs are monitoring traffic, NO? and there isn't really much to be done to prevent that, is there? I mean, really?

3dsage

System Name *5GHZ_STAR*
Processor Core i5 2500K 5GHZ 24/7 1.38Vcore
Motherboard Asrock P67 Extreme6
Cooling Scythe SCMG-2100 REV. B
Memory 2x2GB GSkill Ripjaw X 1600 CL7
Video Card(s) 4850 XFIRE
Storage 500GB + 1TB NAS
Display(s) I-INC 28" LCD 1920x1200
Case Antec P180
Power Supply Thermaltake TR2 TRX-650
Software Seven Ultimate 64-bit