• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

HD5770 (Sapphire Vapor-X 1GB) - so disappointing !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter_Palm

System Name Build by myself ;-)
Processor Q6700 (now running @3Ghz)
Motherboard Asus P5K (Intel P35)
Cooling Cooler Master Gemini II S
Memory 2x2GB DDR2-800
Video Card(s) MSI N250GTS Twin Frozr 1G (previous: Sapphire HD5770)
Storage Seagate 1TB
Display(s) 2x Philips 190SW (1440x900 x2)
Case Thermaltake
Audio Device(s) Realtek on board
Power Supply 450W
Software Windows XP SP3
Benchmark Scores about 13500 points in 3DMark 2006 (1280x1024), with 3Ghz now 14800 points.
Well, I believe in most cases what reviewers of a graphics card write.
So I saw the reviews of the ATI Radeon HD5770 and I was excited about the stories about the low power consumption but still performance gain compared to a ATI Radeon 4850 for example.
I decided to get rid of my Zotac GeForce 9800GT (AMP Edition) and bought a Sapphire 5770 Vapor-X card.
What a bad surprise... this card is not worth it's price!

a) I compared the results of 3DMark 2006 (1.10) ...
My 9800GT reaches about 12000 points,
but the new OC'ed HD5770 with 900/1320 Mhz setup was only 2000 points faster (~ 14000 points)
That's what I haven't expected - such a similar result...
b) I got multi monitor problems (I had never before), while using ATI overdrive,
I saw a flickering screen always (even with the moderatest increase).
Later I could read that's a known problem, it's related with the 2D power saving mode (and the decrease of the GPU frequency), which results exactly the flicker screen mode.
Using the AMD GPU clock tool (NOT the MSI tool!) solves that, but the card is now without power saving mode if OC'ed.
c) my beloved Star Wars Battlefront II was running smoothly with the old nVidia card, NO CPU load at all. NOW I got a strange behaviour with the new ATI card, almost 80-90% CPU load makes a gameplay impossible. I am convinced that's related to the Catalyst 9.12 I was using, but I have no real choice because I have to use a driver which can be used with the new 57xx series too.
d) I am playing the game AION, which is based on the first FarCry (Crytek) Engine. After the change I noticed not really much more FPS, but a new phenomenon - now I have something like micro bucking/a jerky display often.

And last but not least, this card costs about $ 200 !
That's ridiculous. I do not recommend this card until you're a real ATI fan without any doubt.

I

InTeL-iNsIdE

For a start 3d06 is very cpu limited, so a 2000 jump in points is not to be sniffed at, I bet you could hit near 20k with a good quad core, I'm betting you have in the region of a stock 2.8 - 3.2ghz?? dualie from your score??

Also there is a hotfix for the 9.12 cats and the hd 5*** series iirc that should help with the screen flickering, from what little I have read anyway.

As far as your cou being used more in said game, games utilise both cpu and gpu, well modern games anyway, were not talking solitaire here. The fact your cpu usage is higher now probably means that your are cpu bottlenecked cause of the extra power of the 5770 compared with the 9800gt

SummerDays

That's pretty much ATI .. releasing a brand new card and advertising multi monitor support and then having the second monitor flicker because really nobody bothered to test it.

It's not only the cheap end cards that suffer from that either.

Just imagine buying a brand new ATI 5870 and then finding out that it doesn't support Eyefinity because the drivers haven't been released for it, and nobody will tell you when the stupid drivers are going to be released because it's a big secret. lol

Peter_Palm

Memory 2x2GB DDR2-800
Storage Seagate 1TB
Case Thermaltake
Power Supply 450W
Software Windows XP SP3
Benchmark Scores about 13500 points in 3DMark 2006 (1280x1024), with 3Ghz now 14800 points.
whats your cpu?

A Intel C2Q 6700 (4 cores) running with 2.8 GHz .... thats not really bad, isn't it ?
And I had no problems before with Star Wars Battlefront II with the same CPU ... so it's not a CPU related problem anyway.
3DMark 2006 seems to be using PhysX if available, that can be also a reason the results are so close. But I was expecting a boost compared to a *9800GT* - that's not a really high end graphics card. I will grab a GTS250 now, because I am limited with my power supply to 450W, and I do not want to buy a new one.
Just to point out that a HD5770 is not a good choice, I will post here the new results with the GTS250 tomorrow - I expect a comparable result to the HD5770, but for a lower price.

p.s.: If I am using the same system with the same amount of RAM, same CPU and same motherboard/chipset/harddisk, a comparison should be fair. If only 2000 points are the difference, I think going with a nVidia GTX260 (if the power supply is good enough) for the same price (a 5770 cost) will be the best choice.

Last edited:
System Name Main PC
Processor PII 925 x4 @3.724GHz (266x14) 1.525v NB 2660 1.425v
Motherboard Gigabyte AM3 GA-890XA-UD3 (790x+SB850)
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2 rev.B
Memory Hyperx 8GB (2x4) 1600@1418 8-7-7-20-27-1t
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 256GB SSD / 2TB HDD
Display(s) LCD Samsung 24" 16:9
Case Cooler Master HAF 912
Audio Device(s) On-Board HD
Power Supply CM 750w GX |3.3v@25a|5v@25a|12v@60a
Software Kubuntu dual boot /Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
Benchmark Scores later...
That's pretty much ATI .. releasing a brand new card and advertising multi monitor support and then having the second monitor flicker because really nobody bothered to test it.

It's not only the cheap end cards that suffer from that either.

Just imagine buying a brand new ATI 5870 and then finding out that it doesn't support Eyefinity because the drivers haven't been released for it, and nobody will tell you when the stupid drivers are going to be released because it's a big secret. lol

There is nothing wrong with Eyefinity People does not know how it works that is all ,
for eyefinity you got to have 1 monitor plug in the DISPLAYPORT & the other to DVi's or 1 DVI + 1 HDMI

The rest is setup in ATI drivers , look up Sapphire eyefinity with Bill Donnelly on youtube...

A Intel C2Q 6700 (4 cores) running with 2.8 GHz .... thats not really bad, isn't it ?
And I had no problems before with Star Wars Battlefront II with the same CPU ... so it's not a CPU related problem anyway.
3DMark 2006 seems to be using PhysX if available, that can be also a reason the results are so close. But I was expecting a boost compared to a *9800GT* - that's not a really high end graphics card. I will grab a GTS250 now, because I am limited with my power supply to 450W, and I do not want to buy a new one.
Just to point out that a HD5770 is not a good choice, I will post here the new results with the GTS250 tomorrow - I expect a comparable result to the HD5770, but for a lower price.

p.s.: If I am using the same system with the same amount of RAM, same CPU and same motherboard/chipset/harddisk, a comparison should be fair. If only 2000 points are the difference, I think going with a nVidia GTX260 (if the power supply is good enough) for the same price (a 5770 cost) will be the best choice.

that cpu is fine for 5770, even for a 5850/5870. its strange how your load shoots up like that :confused:

It looks like everything your running is about 4 year old DX9 stuff, so why overclock or even upgrade? All the reviews you seen they where running games made in the last few years and that's what the card is made for. I played Star Wars Battlefront II on my x700 and had great frame rates.
but to the point the issues my be related to the age of the games your playing as new games get the support first. AMD[ or NV for that matter] isn't going to spend a lot of time on games and apps that aren't getting any review benches ran on them. I would look for updates on the games home page or even email there support.
for the screen did you check the cables? I had this problem after changing a card and it ended up that I loosen the monitor side while reconnecting to the card. It could also be refresh rate or left over driver stuff from NV messing with stuff.
I would give it sometime and keep a look out for updates it is a new line after all and there always some issues to workout.

try hydravision for two monitors I've used it for years works great. http://ati.amd.com/products/hydravision/index.html

Last edited:
Processor C2duo e6750@ 2800mhz
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 2x2Gb Kingstone HyperX DDR3 1600 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX )
Video Card(s) HIS HD 6870
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Pci-e
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W
Software win7 ultimate -64bit
GTS250 is a downgrade from 5770 and youll gain marginally a bit vs. 9800gt from gts250 really forgot the benches nearly all of them taken with Oced i7 cpu ,your C2q at 2.8 no match for Oced i7 for benches (techpowerup uses 3.8 i7 for benches for example).I would recommend 5850 for real gain or gtx260 or upper
b)Create a OC profile and use it while gaming
c)starwars ,googled and found http://www.tweakguides.com/SWB2_1.html
A lot of Star Wars Battlefront 2 users which dual-core CPUs such as the AMD X2 or Pentium D series, as well as users with Pentium 4 HyperThreading CPUs (i.e. "virtual" dual cores) are having problems with this game. The reason appears to be because the game suddenly places 100% load on both cores and locks the system, or crashes to desktop with no error message. This can occur at any time during the game. The solution involves using one of two methods:

Setting Processor Affiinity Manually: Launch Star Wars Battlefront 2, and as soon as the game appears to begin loading, or after it has loaded up, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager. Under the Processes tab, find the BattlefrontII.exe process, right-click on it, select 'Set Affinity' and in the box which appears, untick 'CPU 1'.

Setting Processor Affinity Automatically: If you want to force the game to only use one of your CPUs automatically each and every time you run the game, see the instructions here for using the Imagecfg utility, a small Windows NT file you can safely copy into your \Windows\System32 directory and then use to permanently set the affinity for particular programs. I recommend you backup your BattlefrontII.exe file before applying this tweak, as the only way to undo it is to restore the original .exe file. Furthermore, note that you may have to redo this tweak each time you patch the game, since the executable will change.

Both these methods basically force the system to effectively see, and use, only one of the CPU cores on your dual core CPU to run the game, thereby temporarily resolving the problem. There is no performance loss since as far as I know, Star Wars Battlefront 2 is not optimized for dual core CPUs.

I will grab a GTS250 now, because I am limited with my power supply to 450W, and I do not want to buy a new one.

Reactions: Kei
Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Which drivers are you using? 9.12 seemed to smooth things out quite a bit for me, although there was no actual FPS increase. Aslo, did you run Driver Sweeper after uninstalling the Nvidia drivers?

Peter_Palm

Memory 2x2GB DDR2-800
Storage Seagate 1TB
Case Thermaltake
Power Supply 450W
Software Windows XP SP3
c)starwars ,googled and found http://www.tweakguides.com/SWB2_1.html
A lot of Star Wars Battlefront 2 users which dual-core CPUs such as the AMD X2 or Pentium D series, as well as users with Pentium 4 HyperThreading CPUs (i.e. "virtual" dual cores) are having problems with this game. The reason appears to be because the game suddenly places 100% load on both cores and locks the system, or crashes to desktop with no error message. This can occur at any time during the game. The solution involves using one of two methods:

Setting Processor Affiinity Manually: Launch Star Wars Battlefront 2, and as soon as the game appears to begin loading, or after it has loaded up, press CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager. Under the Processes tab, find the BattlefrontII.exe process, right-click on it, select 'Set Affinity' and in the box which appears, untick 'CPU 1'.

Setting Processor Affinity Automatically: If you want to force the game to only use one of your CPUs automatically each and every time you run the game, see the instructions here for using the Imagecfg utility, a small Windows NT file you can safely copy into your \Windows\System32 directory and then use to permanently set the affinity for particular programs. I recommend you backup your BattlefrontII.exe file before applying this tweak, as the only way to undo it is to restore the original .exe file. Furthermore, note that you may have to redo this tweak each time you patch the game, since the executable will change.

Both these methods basically force the system to effectively see, and use, only one of the CPU cores on your dual core CPU to run the game, thereby temporarily resolving the problem. There is no performance loss since as far as I know, Star Wars Battlefront 2 is not optimized for dual core CPUs.

That's what I already tested. It does not help. It's related with the card or the driver only. I had no problem with the same Quadcore CPU but with the 9800GT and with the nVidia card I need no further "trick".
At least I am very disappointed if it's true that ATI does not consider any (older) game but only the newest ones. For me, it's true, I am playing also older games.... e.g. I still have also fun with Age of Mythology for example.... is that a crime ?
For me it's an indication that ATI drivers still needs a maturity level they didn't reach so far. And I do not want to be a beta tester for ATI hardware.

Peter_Palm

Memory 2x2GB DDR2-800
Storage Seagate 1TB
Case Thermaltake
Power Supply 450W
Software Windows XP SP3
GTS250 is a downgrade from 5770 and youll gain marginally a bit vs. 9800gt from gts250 really forgot the benches nearly all of them taken with Oced i7 cpu ,your C2q at 2.8 no match for Oced i7 for benches (techpowerup uses 3.8 i7 for benches for example).I would recommend 5850 for real gain or gtx260 or upper

Again me. I missed your first argument.
I will take a GTS250 because I do not want to spend extra money for a stronger power supply (and why should I waste more electricity power?).
If I read your other sentences related with the test setup of Techpowerup and the usage of an i7 CPU - why do you assume that all average PC users/gamers own an i7 ?
It's not close to reality to assume only high end components has to be taken to test a graphics card. Really.

Peter_Palm

Memory 2x2GB DDR2-800
Storage Seagate 1TB
Case Thermaltake
Power Supply 450W
Software Windows XP SP3
Which drivers are you using? 9.12 seemed to smooth things out quite a bit for me, although there was no actual FPS increase. Aslo, did you run Driver Sweeper after uninstalling the Nvidia drivers?

I was using Catalyst 9.12 (I guess it's the lastest one).
I deinstalled my nVidia driver of course before I changed the card.
No, I am convinced choosing the HD5770 was a mistake I made. Fortunately I am able to send the card back and get also my money back.

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Did you run driver sweeper after uninstalling the nvidia drivers? Leftovers can make cards grouchy especially when switching brands. I'd consider uninstalling/driver sweepering All ATI/NVidia graphics/reinstalling drivers before giving up.

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
Wow there is seriously some nonsense floating around the internet these days. :shadedshu

Anyway to the OP, if you're willing to find out what was setup improperly then please fill out your full System Specs. You can do this by clicking the link above named "User CP" and the option will be to your right. Once you've done that we can help you figure out what is setup improperly.

The card you're using is NOT in anyway a bad card and it is VERY powerful. It will absolutely win over a nVidia 250 card, and runs toe to toe (or better) with a 260 card. It uses less power, runs cooler, and of course can be overclocked to go significantly further.

In comparison to a 4850 it is also MUCH more powerful. I am a former owner of a 4850 which gave me a nice 15,334 score with a Phenom II 920 @ 3.5Ghz and the gpu clocked up as well. The 5770 running with my Phenom II 955 underclocked @ 3.0Ghz, slower ram, slower northbridge, slower HT Link, and stock gpu settings reaches the same score! Overclocking just the gpu itself gives 16,6xx points with everything else still running stock. Gpu and processor clocked up gives 18,423pts so far.

In game performance (no matter the game or benchmark) is faster all around with the card running at stock levels. There is something surely wrong with your setup so don't trash the card before you actually find out what's wrong. So many products get a horrible reputation because there are many people out there who trash something ruthlessly when they did something wrong whether they knew it or not.

Don't be one of them...fill out your specs, and if you're willing to recieve help....we're willing to give it. Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay. :toast:

Kei

Processor C2duo e6750@ 2800mhz
Motherboard GA-P43T-ES3G
Cooling Xigmatek S1283
Memory 2x2Gb Kingstone HyperX DDR3 1600 (KHX1600C9D3K2/4GX )
Video Card(s) HIS HD 6870
Storage samsung HD103SJ
Case Xigmatek Utgard
Audio Device(s) X-FI Titanium Pci-e
Power Supply Xigmatek NRP-PC702 700W
Software win7 ultimate -64bit
I dont assume everyone has i7 ,im saying dont compare bench results forget them ,OCed i7 has serious advantage over other cpus at benches and will get higher points .You cant compare a result with 3800Mhz i7 with 2800Mhz c2q .I hope it is clear now .
Everyone testing vgas with i7 cpus since i7 on market, highest /best cpus available used for tests everytime ,really it is not something new.
I dont see a point going to gts250 keep your 9800gt if you still have ,especially if you are playing old games .
If I read your other sentences related with the test setup of Techpowerup and the usage of an i7 CPU - why do you assume that all average PC users/gamers own an i7 ?
It's not close to reality to assume only high end components has to be taken to test a graphics card. Really.

MKmods

Case Mod Guru
System Name Crossflow III
Processor AMD 965 (4.04Ghz)
Motherboard Asus Crosshair III
Cooling Air
Memory 4 gigs Mushkin 7-7-7-20@1T
Video Card(s) single 9800GT
Storage Raptor 150's in Raid0
Display(s) LG Flatron 24"
Case Custom
Audio Device(s) AuzenTech X-Raider W/OP637
Power Supply Custom modded Corsair 750HX
Software Win 7 64/Solaris Utility
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06--21963 so far
I also had some probs when I first got my 5770s. I was using a 9800GT (just 1) to play Borderlands and switched to a 5770 and the game was terrible. There wasent even a driver for the 5770 when it came out so that sucked.
BUT
Since the 9.11 driver came out the probs went away and the game plays fine now. I run a pair of the 5770s and am happy with the performance now but honestly was it worth $300 over the 9800GTs, no.

Also like jagd said keep the 9800 and wait for the next cards. While the 250 is a better card its not $150 better than the 9800GT.

Last edited:
System Name Senile
Processor I7-4790K@4.8 GHz 24/7
Motherboard MSI Z97-G45 Gaming
Cooling Be Quiet Pure Rock Air
Memory 16GB 4x4 G.Skill CAS9 2133 Sniper
Video Card(s) GIGABYTE Vega 64
Storage Samsung EVO 500GB / 8 Different WDs / QNAP TS-253 8GB NAS with 2x10Tb WD Blue
Display(s) 34" LG 34CB88-P 21:9 Curved UltraWide QHD (3440*1440) *FREE_SYNC*
Case Rosewill
Audio Device(s) Onboard + HD HDMI
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB & G610 Orion Red
Software Win 10
I'm convinced the driver team at ATI was so busy with Win 7 support, they didn't have much time to fix (or test) other things in Cat 9.12 - it's a lousy Cat release IMO. I'm on a 5870.

In 10.1 or 10.2 I'm hoping for better myself.

Oh and where is this 9.12 hotfix people are talking about???

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
A) Can't really blame that on ATI. If you would have read the reviews of the 5770 on this web site prior to purchasing it, you would have known that it's only 2000-3000 points better than a 9800GT on 3dMark 06.

Reactions: Kei
"At least I am very disappointed if it's true that ATI does not consider any (older) game but only the newest ones. For me, it's true, I am playing also older games.... e.g. I still have also fun with Age of Mythology for example.... is that a crime ?"

Not saying it's a crime:) just must people buying new GFX cards are buying them for new games[DX10] so for any manufacture to spend time on the hundreds of older games would take time away form new titles that will sell the card. Most game makers release patches for new hardware not just the hardware manufacturers. I still like to play some older titles just to see how they stand up but most times have to get patches for my new hardware. Four years is along time in PC years.

Kei

System Name ...no name yet
Processor AMD Ryzen 7800x3D
Motherboard ASUS STRIX X670E-E Wi-Fi
Cooling EK Nucleus AIO CR360 Lux-D-RGB
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws DDR5 6000Mhz CL36 32GB (2x16)
Video Card(s) MSI 4090 Gaming Trio
Storage 1Tb Samsung 860 SSD, twin 2TB Samsung nvme drives
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG279Q IPS gsync 2k
Case Thermaltake P5 wall mounted and backlit with Corsair lighting node pro
Power Supply EVGA P3 1000w
Mouse Logitech G9x (awesome!)
Keyboard Logitech G105
VR HMD Pimax 5k+
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores CPU-Z 698s/7465m (7800x3D result)
A) Can't really blame that on ATI. If you would have read the reviews of the 5770 on this web site prior to purchasing it, you would have known that it's only 2000-3000 points better than a 9800GT on 3dMark 06.

Of course not many people realize that a 2000-3000 point increase is a LARGE jump in 3DMark06. Far too many people stare at results for i7's and other cpus clocked up to 4Ghz or better, and then they try to compare it to their own. That is a terrible way to look at things for most people as their hardware is far below that level. Always pay attention to the old scores you had for YOUR machine and compare them to YOUR machine not anyone else's. That is listed right in the 3DMark documentation, but nobody every reads that lol... :p

Honestly the op should be very happy with the 3DMark06 score especially if he was running everything else at the same level as the 9800GT run and still scored an additional 2000 points. That's a SERIOUS increase without changing anything except the video card.

As for the 9.12 Hotfix it can be found here http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/ATICatalyst912Hotfix.aspx

I've used 9.11, 9.12, and 9.12 Hotfix and all of them gave me good performance. I only switched to the hotfix because I'm using Windows 7 and there is a specific error/instance that concerned us which this addressed. I have had no problems with my drivers/card.

Kei

Peter_Palm

Memory 2x2GB DDR2-800
Storage Seagate 1TB
Case Thermaltake
Power Supply 450W
Software Windows XP SP3
Wow there is seriously some nonsense floating around the internet these days. :shadedshu

Anyway to the OP, if you're willing to find out what was setup improperly then please fill out your full System Specs. You can do this by clicking the link above named "User CP" and the option will be to your right. Once you've done that we can help you figure out what is setup improperly.

The card you're using is NOT in anyway a bad card and it is VERY powerful. It will absolutely win over a nVidia 250 card, and runs toe to toe (or better) with a 260 card. It uses less power, runs cooler, and of course can be overclocked to go significantly further.

In comparison to a 4850 it is also MUCH more powerful. I am a former owner of a 4850 which gave me a nice 15,334 score with a Phenom II 920 @ 3.5Ghz and the gpu clocked up as well. The 5770 running with my Phenom II 955 underclocked @ 3.0Ghz, slower ram, slower northbridge, slower HT Link, and stock gpu settings reaches the same score! Overclocking just the gpu itself gives 16,6xx points with everything else still running stock. Gpu and processor clocked up gives 18,423pts so far.

In game performance (no matter the game or benchmark) is faster all around with the card running at stock levels. There is something surely wrong with your setup so don't trash the card before you actually find out what's wrong. So many products get a horrible reputation because there are many people out there who trash something ruthlessly when they did something wrong whether they knew it or not.

Don't be one of them...fill out your specs, and if you're willing to recieve help....we're willing to give it. Welcome to the forums, hope you enjoy your stay. :toast:

Kei

Kei, I am still not convinced.
Even if you're right with the environment you've described, I made may own expirience and I have to judge my results, not theoretical issues you mentioned.
So if in my "test" environment the HD5770 does not perform well, I have to find another solution which fits my needs (a slightly better performance).
I decided to buy an overclocked GTS250 from MSI with 1GB, and that's not a bad decision, I already took an non-overclocked GTS250 from my friend just to test it, and it works perfectly without any hassle (no driver glitches, no frustration with older games etc...).

Peter_Palm

Memory 2x2GB DDR2-800
Storage Seagate 1TB
Case Thermaltake
Power Supply 450W
Software Windows XP SP3
"At least I am very disappointed if it's true that ATI does not consider any (older) game but only the newest ones. For me, it's true, I am playing also older games.... e.g. I still have also fun with Age of Mythology for example.... is that a crime ?"

Not saying it's a crime:) just must people buying new GFX cards are buying them for new games[DX10] so for any manufacture to spend time on the hundreds of older games would take time away form new titles that will sell the card. Most game makers release patches for new hardware not just the hardware manufacturers. I still like to play some older titles just to see how they stand up but most times have to get patches for my new hardware. Four years is along time in PC years.

I guess there are a lot of more DX9 games (=the majority) still out which are played at the moment, than DX10 titles. And DX11... lol, it's still far away.
So it's still a good idea to look for DX9 performance ... that's what even Techpowerup forgets.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
My friend just upgraded from a 9800GTX+ to a 5770 and gets increases across the board in all of his games. He did start from scratch with a fresh install of Windows 7. He also gets mediocre results with 3dMark06 and so do I with 5850's in CrossFire. So, I don't bother with 3dMark06 anymore since it's really all about the CPU.

Peter, the way I'm seeing things you should have increases in performance over your old card and they should be noticable. The problem is either softare or hardware related on your end, especially with the flickering problem.

I'm quite convinced you have driver problems:

To make sure that drivers aren't the problem, follow this guide: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=52502 Use something else besides 3dMark06 to base your assumptions on performance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.