• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

How To: Enable SLI on pre-i7/i5 hardware

Yes. I think they may have it in the guide before, but maybe it was accidentally removed during editing. Because in section A they only have 3 steps, however in section C they mentioned Repeat steps 1-4 from “section A.” So I think step 4 is probably similar to what I've done.

Ok, I ran into some problems. As soon as I add 2GB of ram, the comp will not be able to boot into Windows with SLI turned on. But it's perfectly fine if I disabled SLI and only ran single card. So it's either 2GB or ram or SLI, is losing 2GB of ram worth the trade off?

System Name no remorse
Processor i7 2600k @ 4.7 ht on
Motherboard gigabyte z68x-ud3p-b3
Cooling xspc rasa cpu block, bitspower restop, mcp355
Memory 4 x 4gb corsair vengance 1600 8-8-8-24
Video Card(s) 570 gtx
Storage 2x32 gb patriot ssd's in raid 0 (os & games) / 2 x 500gb barracuda (storage)
Display(s) 25 inch 1080p widescreen i-inc
Case cooler master haf x
Audio Device(s) turtle beach earforce px21 headset (usb)
Power Supply corsair HX850
Benchmark Scores super pi 1m : 7.160 sec. 34,837 3dmark06
did you test the stick with memtest? i would test it to see if its bad, then go from there, also if your oc'd might need to bump up the nb voltage.

I tried swaping my own set of ram (Patriot Extreme DDRII800 4GB kit), it still would not boot into Windows with them. So I can pretty much eleminate defective ram.

System Name no remorse
Video Card(s) 570 gtx
Storage 2x32 gb patriot ssd's in raid 0 (os & games) / 2 x 500gb barracuda (storage)
Case cooler master haf x
ok just another thought i had a similiar issue a week or so agolink, i think a .net service pack i installed so i could play foullout 3 was the culprit. a fresh install of xp sp3 and it was back to normal. this was after i had one card out for a day or 2 tho. running the same drivers on an asus p45. it drove me nuts i know what your going thru. hope u fix it.

Thanks for the info. I didn't install any service packs or any .net packs, just a clean install of Win7. But this did give me an idea, I'm going to do a clean install with both cards in and 4GB of ram, see if that'll fix it.

Reinstall fixed it. I reinstalled Win7 32bit with two cards and 4GB of rams in, now it boots just fine. Thanks for the help.

System Name no remorse
Video Card(s) 570 gtx
Case cooler master haf x
np, glad it worked for you too.

oiluj

Processor Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 (G0)
Motherboard Asus P5K Premium/WiFi-AP (Intel P35)
Cooling Zalman CNPS8700 LED
Memory 4GB: Corsair Dominator DDR2-1066 2x2GB kit
Video Card(s) 2x nVidia 8800GT in SLI (YES, I said "in SLI" with a P35 chipset!!)
Storage WD VelociRaptor 150GB + 2x WD CaviarBlue 500GB in RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung SyncMaster 226CW + LG Flatron F900P
Case NZXT Apollo
Audio Device(s) Analog Devices AD1988B HD-Audio (Integrated)
Power Supply Enermax Infiniti 720W
How is that good work in both methods (modded drivers and modded HAL) for v195.62 going?

Keep on that awesome work, guys!! And happy 2010 !!!

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
to the guys doing the mods: do you want to start a new thread, with a new first post with updated instructions and files?

I can close this one and post a link to the new one, to save people reading 100 pages of outdated info.

System Name XPS-9700
Processor Intel Core i9-10885H
Motherboard Dell 03CPGC
Memory 64GB (2x32GB) Hynix DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) NVidia GeForce RTX 2060 Max-Q Design 6GB
Storage Samsung PM981a 2TB SSD
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Please do so Mussels, I'm seeing this post for the first time and can't even begin to fathom where's the actually updated and usable information XD.

I'm on a 975X Chipset, have anyone tried to use this mod on that Chipset?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
Please do so Mussels, I'm seeing this post for the first time and can't even begin to fathom where's the actually updated and usable information XD.

I'm on a 975X Chipset, have anyone tried to use this mod on that Chipset?

intel chipets are the easiest from what i've read, vista/7 x64 being easiest to mod.

we'll have to wait for one of these guys to start the new thread, and we'll get the ball rolling.

I suggest the new thread follow this layout:

list of confirmed working mods:

Files for X OS with driver version Y on chipset Z, confirmed working if follow these steps:

Such as:
For Windows 7 x64 and driver 123.456, download These files Here and Here, then follow the steps below

(install HAL mod, install then cancel drivers, modify unpacked drivers, install modified drivers, reboot, whatever)

this was confirmed to work on:

Intel P35, P45, 965
Nvidia: 680i
AMD 790GX

Confirmed to NOT work on:
toast

and then we scatter the rest of the builds throughout the thread as this one, and post mods that worked for at least one person as a "possibly working" section at the bottom of the first post. Once we get multiple reports, we move it up to the "confirmed working" - listing what motherboard chipsets it worked on

System Name Swag
Processor Intel Xeon E3110 4GHz
Motherboard GIGABYTE GA-G31M-ES2L
Cooling Scythe Infinity I Push-Pull w/ AS5
Memory 2x2GB Transcend 800MHz DDR2 @ 890MHz 1.9v
Video Card(s) Palit nVIDIA GTX460 1GB 800/1600/2000
Storage Crucial M4 64GB
Display(s) LG Flatron M1917TM 1280x1024 @ 60Hz
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
Software Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Are the modded 195 drivers out soon?

Frostee

Hello Everyone

Hello everyone, I'm new here to the forums but have been reading sections of this thread as an attempt to enable SLI with two 9800GTX+ cards on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P using Vista x64.

After following the instructions TheWolf/oulij at the top of page 95, I am able to activate SLI after the final restart. After pressing "apply" after selecting "enable SLI" in the nVidia control panel, a message pops up and tells me that nVidia will be closing certain programs that are opened to activate SLI (even though I don't have any other windows open). After pressing "ok" on this message, my monitor starts to flash between shades of black as if i was installing a video driver, then a white blinking cursor appears for a few seconds in the upper left.

Shortly afterwards, my monitor says "no signal" and turns off. A few seconds later, my computer has begun to restart, and I encounter a "Windows error recovery" screen. When I start windows normally, I am able to hear the sound that normally occur when windows reaches the vista logo then the sound when my desktop is reached, but I am unable to see anything on my screen. After the desktop sound, my monitor again flashes between shades of black and shows a white blinking cursor as before, then restarts to the same "windows error recovery" screen.

The only way to fix this problem has been to boot into safe mode and restore the system to a previous time.

I also tried the method of awdrifter at the bottom of page 100 in which I modified the 190.62 driver files before installation (except using the x64 driver and x64 modified nvlddmkm). When I did this, I was able to boot normally, without problem, but nvidia control panel did not recognize potential sli.

I am not using an SLI bridge at the moment...I was planning on buying one to improve performance after I had SLI working. Additionally, my hard drive has not been wiped before these attempts, so I'm working with all of my old files still on my system. For the duration of my attempts I have been in Test Mode. Before this method, I attempted the Halmod method several times without success. I'm not sure if any of these have anything to do with it.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

Frostee

Update

Update:
While running through the steps again, I am noticing that after running either the SLISTRINGINSTALL version 1.81 or 2.0 and pressing ASUS and receiving the "SLI string injected successfully!" message, and I load up the SLISTRINGINSTALL once again, it states that "sli string is not installed yet". :ohwell:

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
Hello everyone, I'm new here to the forums but have been reading sections of this thread as an attempt to enable SLI with two 9800GTX+ cards on my Gigabyte EP45-UD3P using Vista x64.

After following the instructions TheWolf/oulij at the top of page 95, I am able to activate SLI after the final restart. After pressing "apply" after selecting "enable SLI" in the nVidia control panel, a message pops up and tells me that nVidia will be closing certain programs that are opened to activate SLI (even though I don't have any other windows open). After pressing "ok" on this message, my monitor starts to flash between shades of black as if i was installing a video driver, then a white blinking cursor appears for a few seconds in the upper left.

Shortly afterwards, my monitor says "no signal" and turns off. A few seconds later, my computer has begun to restart, and I encounter a "Windows error recovery" screen. When I start windows normally, I am able to hear the sound that normally occur when windows reaches the vista logo then the sound when my desktop is reached, but I am unable to see anything on my screen. After the desktop sound, my monitor again flashes between shades of black and shows a white blinking cursor as before, then restarts to the same "windows error recovery" screen.

The only way to fix this problem has been to boot into safe mode and restore the system to a previous time.

I also tried the method of awdrifter at the bottom of page 100 in which I modified the 190.62 driver files before installation. When I did this, I was able to boot normally, without problem, but nvidia control panel did not recognize potential sli.

I am not using an SLI bridge at the moment...I was planning on buying one to improve performance after I had SLI working. Additionally, my hard drive has not been wiped before these attempts, so I'm working with all of my old files still on my system. For the duration of my attempts I have been in Test Mode. Before this method, I attempted the Halmod method several times without success. I'm not sure if any of these have anything to do with it.

Thank you in advance!
http://www.xdevs.com/e107_plugins/content/content.php?content.30
^^^^^ Got the SLIC String, Modded Rev2 .sys System driver file, and Hal Mod, also i had to google this NGO file signer program, and boot up my windows in test mode to have my sli working.

First i downloaded generic 190.62 drivers.
*Then i downloaded the SLIC String installed, pressed ASUS, i also ran it under adminastrator.
*Then i found this program link somewere in this clutterd thread, and it was the NGO file signer
*I Ran it, and it let me enable test mode, then i took the nvl rev2 .sys for windows vista 64 bit and placed it in the drivers folder in Sys32.
*The NGO signer let me sign the file by putting its directory name in. ***NOTE*** I have to keep test mode enabled or my driver file wont load.
*I also used the Certificate for SLI that came in the folder of the HAL v0.9 mod and certifed SLI in the Main to Auto root certificate folders. I used the Certificate manager also to check that SLI was signed.

*Note* This step is wierd but i took the Hall.dll and i put it in right next to the original hal.dll file and put (2) beside it. My windows loads fine, and i dont know if this helps but it seems to be useliss.

After that I boot up again, and it says i can have sli, i click it, my screen flasehs 3-4 times and PRESTO hacked sli on a p45 motherboard.

And thats what i did to get my sli working. The problem your having is wierd and maybe one of the cards are not fully seated the in the other slot. Also if you have a Sli bridge, try enabling it with it of it might work without failing on you :laugh:

*EDIT* Woops you dont have sli bridge on anyways haahahaha

Frostee

Thanks

Alright I'll try it with the NGO and the hal mod certificate. I'm pretty sure that the card is seated correctly, but to make sure that it's working properly, is there any way i can simply plug in my video cable to that card instead of the main card that I've been using?

Frostee

Do you mind sending a link for the NGO signer? I have Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider 1.3b which does the same thing I think though.

Frostee

*I also used the Certificate for SLI that came in the folder of the HAL v0.9 mod and certifed SLI in the Main to Auto root certificate folders. I used the Certificate manager also to check that SLI was signed.

How can I certify SLI in the Main to Auto reoot certificate folders? Using the certificate import wizard, it is giving me an option to select a certificate store. The default seems to be personal, so I selected this...

Edit: in the certificate manager, which looks like a command prompt, at the end it says, "A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is not trusted by the trust provider. 0x800b0109 (-2146762487)"

TiN

System Name selfmade caseless :D
Processor Intel ES
Motherboard EVGA X299 DARK ES :)
Cooling LN2
Memory G.SKILL DDR4 @ 3600MHz
Video Card(s) GTX Kingpin's
Storage Intel P4500 4TB
Display(s) Philips BDM4350
Case none
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi
Power Supply EVGA NEX 1500W's
Mouse None (trackball)
Keyboard Steelseries APEX RAW and Corsair K-something
Software W2k8 R2 64bit SP1, FreeBSD 12
Benchmark Scores http://www.hwbot.org/community/user/tin?oldstyle=true
Mussels

Give us some time please, I will release updated howto soon, and also decide how to make thread.

Just after holidays.

Frostee

Alright, because I am actually able to select "enable SLI" from the nvidia control panel, and the problem occurs after this, I'm thinking that origin of this problem is something different. I'm thinking it may be fixed upon the addition of a sli bridge or a bios update. I don't think my PSU should be stressed (it's a Coolmax 700 CUG), yet other people who have been experiencing similar SLI problems have found this to be a solution in some cases. Are there any other suggestions?

TheWolf

System Name TheWolf
Processor Q9650/Q9550
Motherboard Abit IP35ProXE/IX38QuadGT
Cooling Big Typhoon x4
Memory G-Skill/A-Data/SuperTalent
Video Card(s) 3x MSI 260GTX OC 2x216 1x192 shaders
Storage Hitachi 80gb x2
Display(s) Norcent/Neovo
Case none/benching stations
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Crosair TX650W
Software XP/W7
Alright, because I am actually able to select "enable SLI" from the nvidia control panel, and the problem occurs after this, I'm thinking that origin of this problem is something different. I'm thinking it may be fixed upon the addition of a sli bridge or a bios update. I don't think my PSU should be stressed (it's a Coolmax 700 CUG), yet other people who have been experiencing similar SLI problems have found this to be a solution in some cases. Are there any other suggestions?

If W7 OS make sure UAC is turned off.
Click Start in coner in search type UAC, click the link it shows, slide down to never notify.
If this is not done already it will probably fix your problems.

I also tried the method of awdrifter at the bottom of page 100 in which I modified the 190.62 driver files before installation (except using the x64 driver and x64 modified nvlddmkm). When I did this, I was able to boot normally, without problem, but nvidia control panel did not recognize potential sli.

Thank you in advance!

If you haven't tried this already, give this a try. Follow my instructions up to step 4c, then manually sign the unsigned drivers with DSEO (http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo) then boot in test mode, now install the drivers. Hopefully it should recognize the SLI correctly.

Unfortunately I can't test this because I don't have Win7 x64.

Frostee

@TheWolf: I did have it disabled, but I'm running on Vista x64 so I don't think that there's a "never notify" option.

@awdrifter: Alright, I gave that a try and it still did not recognize SLI using that method. For me, the only method that seems to recognize SLI is the method on the top of page 95.

@Both: Because I am able to get the option for SLI recognized by using the one on page 95, I'm inclined to think that my problem isn't mod-related...though I'm not entirely sure. What happens is AFTER I actually press "enable SLI" then "apply" (and agree to have nvidia close some applications for installation purposes) my screen flickers, turns off, the computer automatically reboots, and goes into windows error recovery. When I start windows normally, I am unable to see the windows logo or desktop (though I hear the sounds), and the computer reboots on its own after the screen flickers and does not receive signal. :confused:

It is a new graphics card that I put in the other slot, and I do not have a bridge connected at the moment.

*Note: I'm trying to run two 9800gtx+ with vista x64 on a gigabyte ep45-ud3p.

WINDOWS XP x32

http://xdevs.com/sli/SLIPatch%200.2%20WinXP%20x32%20alpha.zip

WINDOWS XP x64

http://xdevs.com/sli/SLIPatch%200.2%20WinXP%20x64%20alpha.zip

WINDOWS VISTA x32

http://xdevs.com/sli/SLIPatch%200.2%20WinVista%20x32%20alpha.zip

WINDOWS VISTA x64

http://www.xdevs.com/sli/SLIPatch%200.2%20WinVista%20x64%20alpha.zip

WINDOWS 7 x32

http://xdevs.com/sli/SLIPatch%200.2%20Win7%20x32%20alpha.zip

WINDOWS 7 x64

http://www.xdevs.com/sli/SLIPatch%200.2%20Win7%20x64%20alpha.zip

To install patch run InstallSli.cmd
To uninstall patch run UninstallSli.cmd

RECOMENDATION ABOUT USING SliStringInstaller:
AFTER INSERTION THE STRING REBOOT YOUR SYSTEM TWO TIMES.

HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIENDS!!!