• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Unusually High Temps with HIS 5770 Card

ShannonN

Hi all
New HIS 5770 card in new i5 750 system, no overclocking of system or video, idle temp = 47 c, play a game it shoots to 100 c and often crashes , yet fan is definately spinning, case (Thermaltake V9) is very well ventilated.

Can't see anything restricting fan speed etc, using latest Catalyst 12 drivers to suit the card and Win 7 Pro OS legal activated copy with all available updates. I have used GPU-z to monitor temps also have the MSI afterburner utility to manually force fan speed to constant 75 % no change in temps, Does anyone have some ideas and advice, besides taking card back getting replacement etc? ( as store will BS about having to test in their machine yada yada and will take ages to sort out.)

Thanks in advance
Shannon

Processor AMD FX-8320 4.1Ghz
Motherboard Asus Aura
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 1060 SC
Storage Intel 535 Series SSD + Seagate FireCuda 2TB
Case NZXT
Power Supply EVGA 650 Watt
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
You might wanna check the fan and heatsink to make sure its seated correctly on the GPU

ShannonN

You might wanna check the fan and heatsink to make sure its seated correctly on the GPU

Never thought to do that, Thanks Guess I rely on it being new that it should be seated etc but will close it down and check :)

ShannonN

Problem Solved

After taking the whole system to the shop and demonstrating the extreme temps when gaming etc I finally convinced the tech to replace the card with a new one from stock and test, the new one has an updated heatsink shroud similar to the HIS version one. and ran fine some 40 c cooler under the same load (maxed out at 60c).

The tech said the fan and h/s assy had been changed and revised in the latest batch delivered some 4 weeks after I brought mine, the HIS one with the egg shaped cooler, seems there is a known problem with the eggshaped fan etc if they make a revised design 6 weeks after landing in the country?

Cheers
Shanny

raza334

try this

i am having the same problem, and the only obvious reason for this is the "dust" which always blocks air to the heatsink, which doesn't give enough cooling. now i onftenly clean my gpu with a blower. just chek ur card for this problem, if dust is there then u should clean it immediately. it is mostly due to a dusty rug, or carpet. hope it solved it.

System Name Current
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Xigmatek Gaia
Memory 2x4G G-skill Sniper
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 128 Crucial M4, 1 TB Seagate Baracuda
Display(s) Shimian Achieva 27"
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsais HX-620
Software Windows 7
After taking the whole system to the shop and demonstrating the extreme temps when gaming etc I finally convinced the tech to replace the card with a new one from stock and test, the new one has an updated heatsink shroud similar to the HIS version one. and ran fine some 40 c cooler under the same load (maxed out at 60c).

The tech said the fan and h/s assy had been changed and revised in the latest batch delivered some 4 weeks after I brought mine, the HIS one with the egg shaped cooler, seems there is a known problem with the eggshaped fan etc if they make a revised design 6 weeks after landing in the country?

Cheers
Shanny

It honestly sounds like there was an issue with the first cooler, I've had 2 5770's each with egg or batman cooler. I didn't have anything above 60° at any time.

ShannonN

i am having the same problem, and the only obvious reason for this is the "dust" which always blocks air to the heatsink, which doesn't give enough cooling. now i onftenly clean my gpu with a blower. just chek ur card for this problem, if dust is there then u should clean it immediately. it is mostly due to a dusty rug, or carpet. hope it solved it.

I don't get signs of dust, as my thermaltake case has dust filters, even with the replacement card that works fine and the sides off the case bypassing the filters i don't get any noticeable accumulation of dust or increases in operating temps

ShannonN

It honestly sounds like there was an issue with the first cooler, I've had 2 5770's each with egg or batman cooler. I didn't have anything above 60° at any time.

I tend to agree with you, I removed the fan assy and thermal tape from the first one applied high quality paste and reassembled and it made no diff to temps so I guess it was a faulty component, however, I'm surprised HIS has redesigned the cooling on the card to a long full shroud rather than the smaller/cheaper to make /assemble egg cooler if the egg cooler was doing the job fine?
Thanks for the input
Shannon

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
The egg shaped cooler does a better job than the original cooler on the HD5770. You got a defective card, not a defectively designed cooler.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
The egg shaped cooler does a better job than the original cooler on the HD5770. You got a defective card, not a defectively designed cooler.

Than the dual slot exhaust out the rear cooler? You sure about that? I thought it was the other way around and the egg shaped cooler is just cheap. I remember seeing threads asking where they can buy the original cooler because the egg cooler wasn't so good.

System Name Current
Processor i5 2500k @ 4.5
Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4
Cooling Xigmatek Gaia
Memory 2x4G G-skill Sniper
Video Card(s) GTX 680
Storage 128 Crucial M4, 1 TB Seagate Baracuda
Display(s) Shimian Achieva 27"
Case Corsair 400R
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsais HX-620
Software Windows 7
I tend to agree with you, I removed the fan assy and thermal tape from the first one applied high quality paste and reassembled and it made no diff to temps so I guess it was a faulty component, however, I'm surprised HIS has redesigned the cooling on the card to a long full shroud rather than the smaller/cheaper to make /assemble egg cooler if the egg cooler was doing the job fine?
Thanks for the input
Shannon
Honestly I think you got older stock, I'm pretty sure manufacturers aren't using the shroud cooler at all anymore.

Than the dual slot exhaust out the rear cooler? You sure about that? I thought it was the other way around and the egg shaped cooler is just cheap. I remember seeing threads asking where they can buy the original cooler because the egg cooler wasn't so good.

The egg cooler worked better one the two cards I had, 4-5 core difference. The shroud cooler is also louder.