• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Weird fan problems and trying to understand CPUID

Semi-Lobster

Recently I've been having a strange problem where the fan on my Scythe Shuriken keeps starting and stopping, starting and stopping and its getting really annoying! (for obvious reasons). The HSF is connected to the 4pin CPU fan connector on my motherboard through an Arctic Cooling 4pin CPU fan. I tried checking XPUID HW Monitor but to be honest with you, I'm not too familiar with the program so I'm not sure what's its trying to tell me when it says 'TEST'. I'm 99% sure that FANIN2 is my CPU fan but like I said, I'm not sure what this means. Any help would be appreciated.

DirectorC

System Name -= Son of a Whore =-
Processor E8400 @ 4.0GHz (445 x 9)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800 GT 512
Storage 74GB Raptor + Caviars in RAID0
Display(s) I-Inc 19" LCD 1440x900
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE & Logitech X-540
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
Benchmark Scores Logitech KB & Sidewinder X3
It sounds like you have a little program that is running in the background that uses a good bit of CPU time. Could be a virus or just something you've recently installed or initiated.

Keep Task Manager open and look at the CPU usage, it should tell you something.

I'm not aware of PWM control just magically ceasing to function properly on any system.

Semi-Lobster

Ok things are getting weird now my CPU fan is chugging along at a healthy 1144RPM and isn't starting and stopping anymore... very.... strange. I wonder what caused that to happen?

DirectorC

Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
A program or service in your system was doing something CPU-intensive. It's the only explanation.

System Name GaMEr / HTPC
Processor FX8320 4.5ghz so far NB- 2815mhz / X2 255 @ 3.2ghz (Temp till BD)
Motherboard 990FX-UD5 / GA-MA785GPMT-US2H
Cooling XSPC - 240rad 480rad 5 x 120mm out, 6 x 80mm in / H220-edge 1/2" & 2 x 120mm Magma
Memory 4gb PI 6,8,6,18 1T 1706mhz / 4gb Crucial D9's 1400 @ 6,6,6,18,1T
Video Card(s) 3gb HD7950 / Onboard
Storage 2 x 120gb Sandisk ultra plus 2tb WD / 60gb vertex 2 + 2 x 2tb WD Greens
Display(s) 3x24in Dell Ultra (portrait) / NEC 32" FullHD LCD
Case LL PC71A Full tower / Antec fusion black with Imon remote Modded for WC
Audio Device(s) OB / Auzentech cinema 7.1
Power Supply TT 700w TR2 / TT 600w Litepower modded with Noctua S12 fan.
Software 7 Ult / 7 premium x64
Is your cpu fan set to PWM in bios?? If so, it could simply be stopping/starting with the cpu temp fluctuating. Turn it off in bios and see if things change, if it does help you can set the fan control to voltage rather than pwm.. it won't stop the fan just slow it down.

Semi-Lobster

Is your cpu fan set to PWM in bios?? If so, it could simply be stopping/starting with the cpu temp fluctuating. Turn it off in bios and see if things change, if it does help you can set the fan control to voltage rather than pwm.. it won't stop the fan just slow it down.

Actually thats the first thing I tried but to my surprise, my Asus M3A78-T doesn't seem to offer any sort of PWN fan options in the BIOS :confused:

Semi-Lobster

My fan has dipped to 372RPM, yet I cant seem to do anything to set the fan through BIOS?!?! This is an extremely bizarre and frustrating experience so far....

DirectorC

Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
Yeah that's odd. I'd check into the actual working status of the fan itself rather than anything else. Fan could be dying.

Semi-Lobster

Yeah that's odd. I'd check into the actual working status of the fan itself rather than anything else. Fan could be dying.

Indeed, all this is pointing to a hardware problem but I'm beginning to think that another fan is a culprit of this. You see, since I only have one PWM fan on my motherboard, my CPU fan is infact connected to it THROUGH an Arctic Cooling fan, there seems to be the possibility that my Arctic Cooling fan is simply sucking more power leaving less for my CPU fan. Tomorrow I'll try to see what happens when JUST the CPU fan is plugged in. This is odd though, I've had my fans set up like this for months and never had any trouble until now.

System Name SynChron
Processor Intel Core i7 3820
Motherboard ASROCK X79 Extreme 9
Cooling CoolerMaster Hyper 212X with 2 Noctua NF-F12 fans in push/pull
Memory 4x2gb Corsair Vengeance LP 1600 CL9
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 770 DCu2
Storage Samsung 830 128gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Velociraptor, Seagate Barracuda 320gb 7200rpm SATAIII
Display(s) HP x2301 LED
Case Corsair Obsidian 750d
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply Seasonic X - 660Watt Gold
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Good day bro! I too think that your two fans sharing the same connection is the problem. Try running just the cpu fans first without the Arctic cooling fan and see if it fixes the problem. And I just wanna ask what kind of power supply unit you have cause your voltage readings for the 12v and Vcore are kinda low so Im thinking that your PSU is not supplying enough current for your system. But thats just my opinion but you might as well check it too!:D Best of luck!

Last edited:

Semi-Lobster

Good day bro! I too think that your two fans sharing the same connection is the problem. Try running just the cpu fans first without the Arctic cooling fan and see if it fixes the problem. And I just wanna ask what kind of power supply unit you have cause your voltage readings for the 12v and Vcore are kinda low so Im thinking that your PSU is not supplying enough current for your system. But thats just my opinion but you might as well check it too!:D Best of luck!

Thanks, today I'm going to buy a regular Scythe 3pin Molex case fan to replace the PWN Arctic Cooling one, hopefully that will fix it. As for my PSU, its an OCZ StealthXStream 600w PSU, it should be supplying enough power? I generally don't touch my voltages because... I'm really not all that good at that sort of stuff but do you think I should?

Last edited:
System Name SynChron
Storage Samsung 830 128gb SSD, 1TB Western Digital Velociraptor, Seagate Barracuda 320gb 7200rpm SATAIII
Display(s) HP x2301 LED
Thanks, today I'm going to buy a regular Scythe 3pin Molex case fan to replace the PWN Arctic Cooling one, hopefully that will fix it. As for my PSU, its an OCZ StealthXStream 600w PSU, it should be supplying enough power? I generally don't touch my voltages because... I'm really not all that good at that sort of stuff but do you think I should?

Nice to know that your gonna buy that 3 pin molex case fan! That way the cpu fan wont have to share connections and hopefully solves your problem! Well you have good PSU there! Just check the HWMonitor reading again after installing your new fan and post it up again here! You have a good one!:D

Semi-Lobster

Ok I bought a new fan and for a little while things 'seemed' ok now that the CPU fan was plugged directly into the 4 pin PWN slot on my motherboard. The fans starts off around 2000 RPM and keeps things nice and cool but after watching Speedfan I noticed that the RPM fluctuated for no reason, it would drop to only 100 RPM and then suddenly jump to 1500 RPM when I'm playing games and then change to a bunch of others numbers for no logical 'automatic' reason (under an intense load, sudden light use etc.). I'm beginning to think that maybe there's something wrong with my motherboard itself?

Just right now actually my fan for a few seconds dropped to zero! So I can safely assume something is wrong

Last edited:

Semi-Lobster

I think I found out the problem. According to a friend of mine, the (original) Scythe Shuriken is sort of notorious for having a defective fan and that the fan is pretty much dead which means either:

A) buy a new fan
B) replace the entire HSF

I would prefer to just replace the fan with (Scythe seems to be the only ones who sell 100mm fans) but I've never done that on a heatsink before? Is it difficult? Or is it just a matter of screwing and unscrewing things?

Last edited:
System Name SynChron
Display(s) HP x2301 LED
Good day! Well its nice to know that you got a new fan but kinda sad that you found another problem! if those shuriken fan of yours are defective then its really time to replace them too! Its not that hard to replace a cpu fan and im quite sure that you can do it by yourself! but before you do that, can you please post another screenshot of HWMonitor and CPU-Z running at the same time?