• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

i7 o/c to 4.5ghz suggestions?

sol.fides

System Name blimp
Processor E8600
Motherboard Asus P5K Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Infinity w/ Dual SFF21F fans
Memory 4gb ddr2-800 crucial balistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800GT (705*950)
Storage intel g2 80gb, x2 WD-640ls RAID0, WD-1002EX
Display(s) 2x Dell 2007WFP 20"
Case CM Stacker 830 w/ 4x140mm & 3x120mm
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster X-fi Fatal1ty FPS, Klipsch 2.1 & logitech 330
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software F@H 24/7
Benchmark Scores Lappy: g51vx
hey, I'll be upgrading soon and wanted to hit 4.5Ghz on air again, only this time with an i7. I'd use it at 4.3Ghz 24/7. I haven't seen many comprehensive databases available on the net like there was for the conroe. Have you guys run into a collection of some promising oc results? any links? thanks. Many review sites don't share my lack of fear. I'm not afraid to push my processor. I've been pushing the limits of every processor I've had for 8 years now. If its not good enough I resell it.

I'd be willing to go water, but wanna keep the whole 4.5ghz experience under $500. I'll be investing in a high quality tri-sli board probably a classified.

Last edited:
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11

sol.fides

System Name blimp
Processor E8600
Motherboard Asus P5K Deluxe
Cooling Scythe Infinity w/ Dual SFF21F fans
Memory 4gb ddr2-800 crucial balistix
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800GT (705*950)
Storage intel g2 80gb, x2 WD-640ls RAID0, WD-1002EX
Display(s) 2x Dell 2007WFP 20"
Case CM Stacker 830 w/ 4x140mm & 3x120mm
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster X-fi Fatal1ty FPS, Klipsch 2.1 & logitech 330
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Software F@H 24/7
Benchmark Scores Lappy: g51vx

MickNat

System Name Nat's your lot!!
Processor i7 920 - 2.66Ghz Stock
Motherboard P6T-SE X58
Cooling Lots
Memory 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz
Video Card(s) Dual HD 5770's
Storage 2x WD 1Tb
Display(s) Samsung 24" 1080P - 5ms DVI LCD
Case CoolerMaster Storm Scout - MID ATX Gaming Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CoolerMaster 650w RealPower
Software Windows 7 Premium x64
wow 300 pages to sift through. did a quickie and noticing the 920 at 4 abound. not good enough

found this today:
http://hwbot.org/browseHardwareProcessors.do?cpuSubFamilyId=168

the 930 looks promising. at least with price, the 21x multiplier and a high end mobo I have a playing area between 200 and 215 blk

If its anything more than $15-20 more than an i7 920 I really wouldnt bother, they are the same chips bar the multi is 1 higher on the 930, oh and they are all D0. Most 920's will do 4-4.3ghz on air with a good board and cooler fairly easy, its the 4.4ghz + where it starts to get a little bit more tricky.

System Name My Rig
Processor AMD 3950X
Motherboard X570 TUFF GAMING PLUS
Cooling EKWB Custom Loop, Lian Li 011 G1 distroplate/DDC 3.1 combo
Memory 4x16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) MSI Seahawk 2080 Ti EKWB block
Storage 2TB Auros NVMe Drive
Display(s) Asus P27UQ
Case Lian Li 011-Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) JBL 30X
Power Supply Seasonic Titanium 1000W
Mouse Razer Lancehead
Keyboard Razer Widow Maker Keyboard
Software Window's 10 Pro
920's do a 21x multiplier with speed boost. So does the 930 do x22?

MickNat

Motherboard P6T-SE X58
Cooling Lots
Memory 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz
Storage 2x WD 1Tb
Audio Device(s) Onboard

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco

MickNat

Motherboard P6T-SE X58
Cooling Lots
Memory 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz
Storage 2x WD 1Tb
Audio Device(s) Onboard
It will not do x22 when overclocked.

Yes it will, you cant enable turbo but you can just use 22x multi, I should know i have my i7 running at 21x overclocked

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Yes it will, you cant enable turbo but you can just use 22x multi, I should know i have my i7 running at 21x overclocked

Alright... let me rephrase. You CAN run x22 multi overclocked, but you can not post with an overclocked x22 multi.

MickNat

Motherboard P6T-SE X58
Cooling Lots
Memory 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz
Storage 2x WD 1Tb
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Alright... let me rephrase. You CAN run x22 multi overclocked, but you can not post with an overclocked x22 multi.

Sorry I am not following what you just said, from my understanding you said you cant use the 22x multi overclocked, I said you can cause my 920 runs overclocked at 21x, what do you mean you can not post with 22x ?

BTW dont take offense, I am not arguing, just dont get what you mean ;)

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Sorry I am not following what you just said, from my understanding you said you cant use the 22x multi overclocked, I said you can cause my 920 runs overclocked at 21x, what do you mean you can not post with 22x ?

BTW dont take offense, I am not arguing, just dont get what you mean ;)

Sir, I speak of the 930. It does not like to run x22 multi with the bclk overclocked. When you do it either takes excessive voltage or does not post at all. You can get better results by keeping the multi @ x21 and raising the bclk.

MickNat

Motherboard P6T-SE X58
Cooling Lots
Memory 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz
Storage 2x WD 1Tb
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Sir, I speak of the 930. It does not like to run x22 multi with the bclk overclocked. When you do it either takes excessive voltage or does not post at all. You can get better results by keeping the multi @ x21 and raising the bclk.

From my understanding the 930 is a 920 D0 with a turbo multi of 22x, do you have any evidence of this? seems strange to me as all of the i7 range dont seem to have any problem like this when running a turbo multi, and there has been no architecture change as far as I know.

BTW I know you speak of the 930, Sir, I was speaking of it also :toast:

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
From my understanding the 930 is a 920 D0 with a turbo multi of 22x, do you have any evidence of this? seems strange to me as all of the i7 range dont seem to have any problem like this when running a turbo multi, and there has been no architecture change as far as I know.

BTW I know you speak of the 930, Sir, I was speaking of it also :toast:

I've owned a 930 recently. All the proof you need is my word. I don't make a habbit of coming on here to lie to people. You can doubt it all you want, but if you go out buy yourself a 930 CPU and then try it you'll get the same results. Hell let's go over to xtremesystems.org and see what they have to say!

Looks like 930 = 920 with an unusable (for oc) 22x multi. No suprises here. Intel, give us 32nm quads or hexas for a reasonable price then I'll get excited.

If they can get 22 solid it should clock slightly better, wait for the better batches to appear.:cool:

Here's a CPU-Z of the highest water-OC of the 930. Do you see him using a 22 multi??

Alright, now think about what you're asking me... You want me to prove to you that under x22 multi my PC doesn't post I OC the bclk. How am I going to prove it to you? Video footage? Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap! That would take time + effort I don't need to exert. Facts as they are there's no reason for me to BS you, and I'm cheesed right now for two reasons. I'm obviously not making sense, and that frustrates me. Then on top of it I'm still not worth my word when it comes to this stuff...

Even though I do stuff like this-

MickNat

Motherboard P6T-SE X58
Cooling Lots
Memory 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz
Storage 2x WD 1Tb
Audio Device(s) Onboard
I've owned a 930 recently. All the proof you need is my word. I don't make a habbit of coming on here to lie to people. You can doubt it all you want, but if you go out buy yourself a 930 CPU and then try it you'll get the same results. Hell let's go over to xtremesystems.org and see what they have to say!

Here's a CPU-Z of the highest water-OC of the 930. Do you see him using a 22 multi??

http://valid.canardpc.com/cache/screenshot/1054775.png

Alright, now think about what you're asking me... You want me to prove to you that under x22 multi my PC doesn't post I OC the bclk. How am I going to prove it to you? Video footage? Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap! That would take time + effort I don't need to exert. Facts as they are there's no reason for me to BS you, and I'm cheesed right now for two reasons. I'm obviously not making sense, and that frustrates me. Then on top of it I'm still not worth my word when it comes to this stuff...

Even though I do stuff like this-

http://img.techpowerup.org/091016/WPrimei7101620092.jpg

Seriousley why are you getting defensive there is nothing written anywhere that I can see that shows a 930 doesn't post at a 22x multi, I think you need to walk away for 5 mins and come back. Please dont make out like I called you a liar :wtf:

I stated I dont disbelieve you nor am arguing with you but simply asked for something to (and I hate this word btw :( ) backup what you were saying, that maybe the case, I dont personally own a 930, though sure I will have one to tinker with in the next few weeks or so, such is my job.

I mean how many 930's have you owned ? there are such things as one off's and you may have had a chip that didnt neccessarily like the 22x multi ? :eek:

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Seriousley why are you getting defensive there is nothing written anywhere that I can see that shows a 930 doesn't post at a 22x multi, I think you need to walk away for 5 mins and come back. Please dont make out like I called you a liar :wtf:

I stated I dont disbelieve you nor am arguing with you but simply asked for something to (and I hate this word btw :( ) backup what you were saying, that maybe the case, I dont personally own a 930, though sure I will have one to tinker with in the next few weeks or so, such is my job.

I mean how many 930's have you owned ? there are such things as one off's and you may have had a chip that didnt neccessarily like the 22x multi ? :eek:

You can take your head out of the sand for a second and then ask yourself how I'm supposed to prove something doesn't post without making a video. Though you may think I'm being defensive I'm actually something a little more specific. I am agitated by you. You are calling me a liar, and your overly polite but passive agressive manner of speaking is just typical of the internet. You aren't trying to learn. You're assuming what you understand is correct, and I'm telling you that if you don't believe me then you should try it yourself. The OP and a bunch of folks on this thread seem to take your word as it is while you have no proof that x22 multi OCs will work. I'm dispelling the rumor. Now there are two conflicting pieces of information both with lacking proof. You now have the great task of proving that x22 works while overclocking the BCLK. It's expensive to do, but the important part is that if you're successful you can prove it with a screen-shot and not a video!

I've owned 5xi7 930s so far, and you still cheese me off with how blatantly ignorant to the double standard you place on others without placing it on yourself.

MickNat

Motherboard P6T-SE X58
Cooling Lots
Memory 6Gb DDR3 1600mhz
Storage 2x WD 1Tb
Audio Device(s) Onboard
You can take your head out of the sand for a second and then ask yourself how I'm supposed to prove something doesn't post without making a video. Though you may think I'm being defensive I'm actually something a little more specific. I am agitated by you. You are calling me a liar, and your overly polite but passive agressive manner of speaking is just typical of the internet. You aren't trying to learn. You're assuming what you understand is correct, and I'm telling you that if you don't believe me then you should try it yourself. The OP and a bunch of folks on this thread seem to take your word as it is while you have no proof that x22 multi OCs will work. I'm dispelling the rumor. Now there are two conflicting pieces of information both with lacking proof. You now have the great task of proving that x22 works while overclocking the BCLK. It's expensive to do, but the important part is that if you're successful you can prove it with a screen-shot and not a video!

I've owned 5xi7 930s so far, and you still cheese me off with how blatantly ignorant to the double standard you place on others without placing it on yourself.

You know what, Binge is it? you are really starting to cheese me off also with your attitude towards me now when I haven't once give you any reason to, if you dont like my posts then dont respond you obviously cant have someone question anything you say without getting annoyed and wound up. I have been on these forums for a short while and really hope this is not the kind of attitude that is directed to newcomers here when they try and voice an opinion.

I will take anyone at face value but if you start getting offensive when I simply ask you to back something up then there is no talking to you, enjoy being right, I am out of this thread.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
BiNGE and MicNat, let's let this unhealthy conversation end. Banned member was not banned due to this thread, just to keep things clear. Let's get back to the original intent of this thread.

Thank you.

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
I enjoy being right less than I enjoy dispelling rumors.

I really hope the OP posts in the i7 overclocking thread. A bunch of people, myself included, look there for updates on people's progress overclocking the i7.

A 4.5GHz from experience has usually taken voltages from 1.4-1.48V with a variety of different QPI values (depending on the chip). It's one of the less difficult OCs. 4.6+ is much harder to manage and completely changes based on the motherboard and chip used. If the OP could provide a bios template it would be appreciated.

D

Deleted member 74752

I have two rigs running at 4.5GHz with 920 DO's...one with Boreas for cooling and the other conventional water. I keep two profiles in bios...one for 4.5GHz without HT and one for 4.3GHz with HT enabled. I would be happy to post the bios screens if asked. :)