• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H Modified BIOS (Looking for version F2)

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Motherboard MSI X370 Titanium
Cooling Tt Water2.0 PRO (They use the same bracket as 3.0)
Memory G.Skill TridentZ 2x8GB 3200 15-15-15-35 B-Die (@3333 ATM)
Video Card(s) ASUS STRIX R9 390 8GB
Storage Too many. Samsung 750GB, 120GB 850 EVO, Seagate 1TB, Toshiba 1TB, OCZ 32GB Cache Drive
Display(s) Samsung 46" UN46D6050 1080P HDTV
Case Home-made tech bench.
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX (I use HDMI though *cry*)
Power Supply CWT PUC1000V-S 1000W, Abee Supremer (import) 1200W currently used as primary.
Mouse Razer Copperhead (circa 2005)
Keyboard Tt Challenger Pro (AVOID! Keys wear super fast)
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H Modified BIOS

After finally getting around to flashing my 890GPA with one of my modded BIOS files, I was able to discover that they don't work. The board reboots and then gets to a certain point where it has a checksum error and the backup BIOS flashes the primary with it's good one. I'm a bit bummed as there was some interesting options I was hoping to be able to try, but oh well right? :ohwell:

(Not looking for F2 anymore, since the thread's main title won't update to reflect that)
Updated with Version F4!
Not all the settings below are available in the modded BIOS. Some of them seemed to make the BIOS save as corrupted. I've basically left out the less interesting ones which I'll mention which ones those are for every BIOS release or mod revision

Alright, figured I might as well start a thread instead of hijacking Dumos :laugh:

After reading the only board capable of core unlocking was the ASUS, I thought I'd see what fancy options GB has hidden.

F3 is released on their page. Dumo's board shows F2, so if anyone can dump that for me to look at, that'd be awesome!

I won't be able to flash it to mine till I get an AM3 CPU :\ Though if you're worried about it, I've been using ModBin to "unlock" the BIOS on a good 10 boards over the past month or so and have had 100% success rate. My own Gigabyte S939 I've tinkered with the BIOS and flashed about 6 times so far, back to back even, w/o incident But I'd understand if you don't want to heh

I was hoping to find ACC hidden, but no dice.
Changes (NOTE: Not all of these are present in the BIOS below, am leaving it here as documentation):

CPU Northbridge Multiplier - Allowing for x21 and x22. x23-31 won't toggle as "selectable" :(
SidePort options - See picture.
Set Memory Clock - In addition to Auto and Manual, MaxMemClock can be selected.
Memory Cock - Now also available: 400, 533 and 667. (I don't see much benefit to that... Or is it like the S939 where if you clock up the HTT it'll be clocking the DDR speed? I gather though if that is still the case, anyone who would be doing that kind of tweaking would have at least DDR3-1333, so you could still select 1066 or 800.)
UMA Frame Buffer Size - Options also now available are 32mb, 64mb and 1024mb.
UMA-SP Bank Interleave - Can now also be "Coarse".
Patch AMD TLB Erratum - That item was hidden but it's default value is Enabled. So now you can disable it if you like. (I'd think that would be like the old AM2 issue, no? I know S939 had some Errata which could cause some issues, but they had a specific 'case' number)
In PCIe Config: Primary Dual Slot Config - Was hidden, with Auto being default and only Disabled as the other option.
OnChip IDE Channel 0, and also Channel 1 - Both now available to Enable or Disable. (Default is enabled)
OnChip SATA Type - Now can select "Legacy IDE" and "IDE ->AHCI"
OnBoard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode - Added "RAID", which isn't the same as the already available RAID/IDE option.
OnBoard Audio - Auto now available, default Auto.
SBGPP Function (Any clue what this is?) - Totally hidden, now available. Default is Enabled.
SBGPP Port Link Config (Again :confused:) - Totally hidden, available now. Default 1:1:1:1. Options: 4:0:0:0, N/A (hidden but not anymore), 2:2:0:0, 2:1:1:0, and 1:1:1:1
SBGPP UnHide Port :)confused:) - Ironicly now is an unhidden option :) Default Disabled.
SBGPP APSM State :)confused:) - Totally hidden, default Disabled.
A-Link PhyPLL PowerDowm :)confused:) - Totally hidden, default Enabled.

PCI Latency Time - Didn't change anything but CAN add 96 if anyone wants it.

I assume SBGPP is in relation to South Bridge, but GPP I don't know. Possible PCIe lanes? HybridCF? *shrug*

So that's that... Here's the BIOS if interested.

Obligatory Warning: I am not responsible for any freak occurrence where your BIOS gets corrupted. I've also not been able to test this yet as my 890GPA is en route via UPS :p I've been using ModBin for doing this exact type of thing for many motherboards and haven't bricked one yet! My Gigabyte S939 reports a different Checksum every time but Award doesn't care about that. This BIOS is barely modified at all, no where near some of them where I actually move around the menu items. I AM NOT HEXEDITING ANYTHING! I not only do not know how to but I wouldn't risk it for anything other than my own if I did know how :) With that, I wish you luck. Hopefully new revisions from GB will have more options in them to unhide ^_^

EDIT: Not really a damn thing on the net as far as what GPP means, and nothing for the keyword SBGPP. Only related item was this, which for them was a voltage option where as ours isn't. I like the guess about the bandwidth though. Since there ARE 4 ports on these boards, assigning 1:1:1:1 would mean it's all equal. 4:0:0:0 I'd think would then be in regards to one PCIe if you wanted max bandwidth, and 2:2:0:0 for (even though it doesn't make sense with the board layout) CrossFire.
http://www.overclock.net/amd-motherboards/313836-question-what-does-gpp-stand.html

Found this, still doesn't tell me anything though :\
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=193241

Attachments

• SP Options.PNG
    SP Options.PNG
    1.9 KB · Views: 798
  • 890F4-M.zip
    701.8 KB · Views: 450
Last edited:
I didn't save F2 bios when flashed to F3. Will try to extract it from the other dual bios on this board

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Storage Too many. Samsung 750GB, 120GB 850 EVO, Seagate 1TB, Toshiba 1TB, OCZ 32GB Cache Drive
Power Supply CWT PUC1000V-S 1000W, Abee Supremer (import) 1200W currently used as primary.
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
If you can't, not a huge deal. I'll be able to get it from mine when ever I manage to get a processor :laugh: Just gives me something to tinker with in the mean time :)

EDIT: OK GPP is General Purpose Port, as per the 780G BIOS Developer's Guide, but as to those options and if they provide any benefit I still haven't a clue.

Last edited:

agentk7

I just stumbled upon this thread after doing a search to find out if any differences could be noticed between the F2 bios and the F3 bios for this board.

Anyway, I was going to update the BIOS but dumped the F2 bios before I did in case Dumo can't pull it from the other bios chip.

Attachments

• 890gpa-UD3H_F2.zip
    695.7 KB · Views: 379
System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Thanks Agent! I'll load it up right now and see if I can spot any differences.

And welcome to the forums :)

EDIT: Well nothing discernible in the actual menus. Inside the BIOS file shows a slight file size difference in awardext.rom and ffgroup.bin. Neither of which I know what are for :\

I had tried editing the video BIOS with RaBiT and RBE, but neither worked. RaBiT provided SOME info in the log section, but nothing of interest.

Last edited:
System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Sweet :) I have a bad feeling that there won't be anything new in the way of menu options though. Still, new is better!

Last edited:
System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
The SP options (not including Power Management), OnChip SATA Type, OnBoard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode, OnBoard Audio are the only 3 I left out on F4c. Other than that, I just did some renaming of a few overclocking items, so they'd be more accurate. CPU frequency changed to Multiplier, CPU Frequenc(MHZ) changed CPU to HTT. HT Link Frequency changed Freq to Multi. since it IS multipliers, but that was too long to fit. Set Memory Clock changed to Memory Control, since it is just the options of Auto, MaxMemSpeed, Manual. That should be all!

I've noticed views on the files, but no one reporting back how it's worked... Anyone, anyone, Bueller?

System Name GB
Processor Core i7-4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SOC Force
Cooling XSPC RayStorm D5 EX240 (Liquid Ultra)
Memory G.Skill F3-2933C12D-8GTXDG @ 3100 (CL.12) @ 1.66V
Video Card(s) Evga GTS 450SC
Storage 2xSSD Corsair Force GS 128 (RAID 0), WD Caviar Black 1TB
Case NZXT Phantom 630 Ultra Tower
Power Supply Gigabyte Superb 720W
Software Win 7 SP1 x64;Win 8 x64 (6.3)
GA-890GPA-UD3H - F4

1. Update AGESA 3.6.6.0 for AMD 6core CPU
2. Improve AOD compatibility
3. Fix USB power management function

Last edited:
System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Changes made to F4
Name changes:
M.I.T.â–ş CPU Clock Ratio to CPU Multiplier
M.I.T.â–ş CPU Northbridge Freq. to CPU->NB Multiplier
M.I.T.â–ş CPU Frequency(MHz) to HTT Frequency (MHz)
M.I.T.â–ş Set Memory Clock to Memory Control
Advanced BIOS Featuresâ–ş AMD K8 Cool&Quiet Control to AMD PowerNow! Control (It hasn't been C&Q for quite awhile and we're on K10 anyhow!)
Integrated Peripheralsâ–ş OnChip IDE Controller 0 to OnChip IDE (generally it is hidden and since this board only has 1 controller, no need for their numberings)

***For anyone running F4c Mod, I generally rename the 1T/2T Command Timing to be 1T/2T Command Rate, but forgot to in this one.

Unlocked features:
M.I.T.â–ş CPU->NB Multiplier: can now select x21 and x22
M.I.T.â–ş Memory Control: can now select MaxMemClk
M.I.T.â–ş Memory Clock: can now select DDR3 400, 533 and 667
Advanced BIOS Featuresâ–ş IGX Configurationâ–ş UMA Frame Buffer Size: can now select 1024mb
Advanced BIOS Featuresâ–ş IGX Configurationâ–ş UMA-SP Interleave Mode: can now select Coarse
Advanced BIOS Featuresâ–ş IGX Configurationâ–ş SP Power Management: is now unhidden
Advanced BIOS Featuresâ–ş IGX Configurationâ–ş SP NB Termination: is now unhidden
Advanced BIOS Featuresâ–ş IGX Configurationâ–ş SP Memory Termination: is now unhidden
Advanced BIOS Featuresâ–ş Patch AMD TLB Erratum: is now unhidden
Advanced Chipsetâ–ş PCIE Configurationâ–ş Primary Dual Slot Config: is now unhidden
Integrated Peripheralsâ–ş OnChip IDE: is now unhidden
Integrated Peripheralsâ–ş Onboard Audio Funtion: can now select Auto
Integrated Peripheralsâ–ş SBGPP Funtion: is now unhidden
Integrated Peripheralsâ–ş SBGPP Port Link: is now unhidden
Integrated Peripheralsâ–ş SBGPP Un-Hide Port: is now unhidden
Integrated Peripheralsâ–ş SBGPP ASPM state: is now unhidden
Integrated Peripheralsâ–ş A-link PhyPLL PowerDown: is now unhidden
PnP/PCI Configurationâ–ş PCI Latency Time: can now select 96

BIOS DL link will always be in the first post.

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
(Mirrored in my 890XA thread)

Darn, finally got around to loading a modded BIOS onto my 890GPA and the first one so far resulted in POSTing fine, but when I went to go in the BIOS I got a checksum warning message. The backup BIOS kicked in and flashed the primary, and all is fine (now that's a cool feature!). The one I tried was modded slightly different than what I have been posting, so I'm going to try one of those right now and see if the same thing happens. I'll report back with those findings.

EDIT: Just tried a fresh BIOS mod with only the changes made being what are listed up above that were hidden, no name changes made or rearranging. Thought it worked, but then none of my options were showing up. Set all my settings as I like em and saved/restarted and it went with the same checksum error about the HPA(?) BIOS :\ Oh well, would've been nice but can't win em all! I think I'd need a much newer version of ModBin than what I have.

Last edited:

Smog

Still no luck getting ACC to work on this board? I bought it specifically for that (have had GREAT luck with the 555's). That's a big bummer. :(

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I downloaded modbin and checked out the bios but same as you, didn't find anything for the ACC.

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Still no luck getting ACC to work on this board? I bought it specifically for that (have had GREAT luck with the 555's). That's a big bummer. :(

If there's anything I can do to help, let me know. I downloaded modbin and checked out the bios but same as you, didn't find anything for the ACC.

No, it's not included in the BIOS period. AMD has told everyone they won't allow it this time around, and with like ASUS it is a different story since it's dip switch initiated. I talked to GB about it and they said they are actually working on a method to allow core unlocking, but it won't be like ACC in the older chipsets which would allow you to specify the settings :p

I was in the market to upgrade my rig anyways so the fact they don't have the function, while it's a bummer, isn't something I'm going to worry too much about.

As an update to the thread: I tried flashing via the BIOS' built in updater, didn't even flash it like Windows @BIOS allowed. It would kick it out for an unspecified reason. When I get home from being out of town I might email GB and see if there is a way to correct the checksum of the modded BIOS. If someone knows how to do that in hex editor, then we wouldn't need them, but I'm not that savvy :p

Smog

Give me the modded bios and I'll try to fix the hex. Is it that file above?

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Well you can try the F4 above, I don't have that one online and I'm out of town for the next 2 weeks so I can't UL it. I guess I could remod F5 when I get time, but I think that going with F4 just to see if it will be able to flash, will be fine :p

Here's F4 original, to steal the checksum from heh What is weird though is the one program I have which I CAN correct the checksum with, says Award 6.0 and newer do not utilize an internal one :\ So I assume it is a GB implementation...
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_DownloadFile.aspx?FileType=BIOS&FileID=15680

Looks like there is an F6 out now heh I'll have to peek at that one =}

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Doesn't look like I need it anymore: http://www.gigabyte.us/Support/Motherboard/BIOS_Model.aspx?ProductID=3367&ver=#anchor_os

Looks like latest BIOS has the CPU Control. We'll see if it's what I want. I won't be able to test it till later tonight, but it looks promising.

While the GB Tech said they were trying to find a way to implement a core unlock, I have a feeling it is more in line with what is in the 890X board which just controls cores you already have (how you purchased it). Which still I wished I had before, because I wanted to test how far I could clock that 250u on one core lol

Let me know though! I won't be back till May 1st and I've got that 555BE from cdawall waiting for me, which does X3 stably (4.2GHz for sure as an X2) and I think X4 at lower OCs :D

Smog

Yea, I think you're right.

There's the CPU Core Control option in the BIOS. I enable it, and I really can't tell what it did. There's no place for me to enable/disable cores, nothing extra. I even tried f7b I found here: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=120524

Let me know if you have any other ideas and I'll try it. I did Ctrl+F1 but didn't find anything useful that came up either.

I guess, what exactly is that supposed to do?

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Yea, I think you're right.

There's the CPU Core Control option in the BIOS. I enable it, and I really can't tell what it did. There's no place for me to enable/disable cores, nothing extra. I even tried f7b I found here: http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=120524

Let me know if you have any other ideas and I'll try it. I did Ctrl+F1 but didn't find anything useful that came up either.

I guess, what exactly is that supposed to do?

You need to hit CTRL+F1 in the main BIOS screen for it to work. You'll know it did because the Hardware Monitor menu will kick up to the right of M.I.B. II (it's usually bottom left) with the addition of Advanced Chipset Features, which usually only has NB Power Management and SB Spread Spectrum. Some new RAM options pop up on the bottom of their menu and IGX gets a few more options as well.

Smog

What exactly does the CPU Core Control do is what I meant? Do i have more control of the cores or something?

Sorry, I'm kinda new to the whole ACC/Core Control thing.

Smog

Damnit, I used modbin and saw that there was individual core control. I make them visible, but disabled by default.

Reflashed, now all I get is a blank screen when I boot up. Fans come on, but nothing else. I can't get the backup bios to come on either. Looks like RMA. Hopefully they don't do a lot of checks.

System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Damnit, I used modbin and saw that there was individual core control. I make them visible, but disabled by default.

Reflashed, now all I get is a blank screen when I boot up. Fans come on, but nothing else. I can't get the backup bios to come on either. Looks like RMA. Hopefully they don't do a lot of checks.

Post up your modified BIOS and I'll look at it and see what might have gone wrong. If you used an older version of modbin (with the blue screen) then that is probably why, it always fucks them up for me :ohwell: Thankfully I discovered it before trying one, and I only use it to look through them initially since the newer version changed to black and white :\ Made it much harder to see what was disabled... The older version shown it nice by being black for disabled, gray for visible only and then white or whatever for fully accessible. When I would save with the older one though, it would corrupt everything and no text was in coherent text :\

If you didn't use the older version, wonder if what happened with yours was the IGP BIOS didn't get included, or included correctly. You tried chucking in a PCI or PCIe card?

EDIT: Chuck up the ModBin you used too...

Also, is the BIOS you flashed on, the F7b? Because that might be why. Try contacting GB's tech support and tell them that flashing F7b caused that and explain what is happening and it doesn't seem to be recovering, just leave out the other bit ;)

Maybe try clearing the CMOS as well...

Last edited:
System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
What exactly does the CPU Core Control do is what I meant? Do i have more control of the cores or something?

Sorry, I'm kinda new to the whole ACC/Core Control thing.

Oh and as for Core Control, I actually have no clue since they hide the options, but maybe it actually is to unlock and it'll try automatically, hence being hidden. *shrug*

Smog

Post up your modified BIOS and I'll look at it and see what might have gone wrong. If you used an older version of modbin (with the blue screen) then that is probably why, it always fucks them up for me :ohwell: Thankfully I discovered it before trying one, and I only use it to look through them initially since the newer version changed to black and white :\ Made it much harder to see what was disabled... The older version shown it nice by being black for disabled, gray for visible only and then white or whatever for fully accessible. When I would save with the older one though, it would corrupt everything and no text was in coherent text :\

If you didn't use the older version, wonder if what happened with yours was the IGP BIOS didn't get included, or included correctly. You tried chucking in a PCI or PCIe card?

Also, is the BIOS you flashed on, the F7b? Because that might be why. Try contacting GB's tech support and tell them that flashing F7b caused that and explain what is happening and it doesn't seem to be recovering, just leave out the other bit ;)

Maybe try clearing the CMOS as well...

Yea, I think I was using the wrong version of modbin. I originally flashed to f7a, that wasn't letting me unlock cores. I flashed to f7b, that wasn't letting me unlock cores. So I modded the f7b bios to show the hidden options, yet I had them disabled by default. I threw that on there and that's what bricked it. Pretty sure I used the blue screen modbin though. Doh!

I was going to try the black screen modbin second (i made one using the blue screen one as well) but I bricked it before I could try.

Tried both onboard and PCI-E video, no luck with either.

Pulled CMOS battery for around 20 minutes, no luck. Tried using the clear CMOS jumper, no luck either.

Modbin I used was the same one you posted in the 890GXA thread.

Here's my modified bios attached. Not sure which one I used, I think one of these is stock, the other is modded.

Usually not so fast to re-flash a un-tested modded bios but I figured with the dual-bios, what could go wrong? Hahahaha

I'm just RMAing it, pretty sure it's bricked. I've tried for the past 4-5 hours to get this thing to boot. Deciding if I want the 890GX again, 809GXA, or go big and get the 790FXTA.

Attachments

• 890GPAD3.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 382
System Name Firebird
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Meh.
Yea, I think I was using the wrong version of modbin. I originally flashed to f7a, that wasn't letting me unlock cores. I flashed to f7b, that wasn't letting me unlock cores. So I modded the f7b bios to show the hidden options, yet I had them disabled by default. I threw that on there and that's what bricked it. Pretty sure I used the blue screen modbin though. Doh!

I was going to try the black screen modbin second (i made one using the blue screen one as well) but I bricked it before I could try.

Tried both onboard and PCI-E video, no luck with either.

Pulled CMOS battery for around 20 minutes, no luck. Tried using the clear CMOS jumper, no luck either.

Modbin I used was the same one you posted in the 890GXA thread.

Here's my modified bios attached. Not sure which one I used, I think one of these is stock, the other is modded.

Usually not so fast to re-flash a un-tested modded bios but I figured with the dual-bios, what could go wrong? Hahahaha

I'm just RMAing it, pretty sure it's bricked. I've tried for the past 4-5 hours to get this thing to boot. Deciding if I want the 890GX again, 809GXA, or go big and get the 790FXTA.

Well it can't hurt to hit up the Tech Support first, that way you'll have a record of attempting to resolve the problem and might go a little smoother :)

Well I loaded up yours and both look fine, loads up no problem and displays everything OK... so I'm not sure what is up with that... It DOES however look like CPU Unlock = what we are wanting :D :D :D :rockout:

I'm curious about that "Core Performance Boost" option as well o_0 Quite interesting new tidbits in here!

Want to link to the original F7b to make sure I get the one that hasn't been monkied with?