• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Got my new PC :) been thinking about water cooling

System Name mult1kill
Processor Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.7
Motherboard GA-AX370-GAMING 5
Cooling Cryorig H7
Memory Team Group 32gb 3200mhz
Video Card(s) RTX 2060
Storage Seagate 3TB+ Corsair 120GB SSD+120 ssd smansung 256gb m.2 Samsung 970
Case NZXT S340
Audio Device(s) Sundara JDS Labs Atom
Power Supply FSP HydroG 850W
Mouse WMO
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3
Software Windows10
I was wondering ever since I got my new PC, I told myself "I think I should finally move to water cooling" but my friend had problems with it. He bought a water cooled Alienware pc, and there have been many MANY leaks with his he took his back about 3-5 times already, this is what really scares me, so I always stuck to Air cooling. I had some questions

1. How many watts on your PSU do you need?(I have 650)
2.I have looked into dangerden, but I have heard of better options, what are they?
3.How can I assure that there will NEVER be a leak
4. is there a guide online where I can find how to install water cooling?(I found one on xoxide.com omit this question)

You don't need a stronger PSU to watercool. The only thing that draws power from a WC loop is the pump and unless you get something extreme, should be under 20W.

Which brands you use strongly depends on what you're trying to cool and how much you want to spend.

You can't be 100% sure that it will not leak. However, as long as you're careful, there is a strong possibility that it will not leak. But in the rare case that you do have a leak, if you use distilled water, it won't short anything. I speak from lots of experience. ;)

As for guides, it's really not too hard. The actual installation is just connecting the tubes to everything.

System Name mult1kill
Cooling Cryorig H7
Video Card(s) RTX 2060
Case NZXT S340
Mouse WMO
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3
Software Windows10
You don't need a stronger PSU to watercool. The only thing that draws power from a WC loop is the pump and unless you get something extreme, should be under 20W.

Which brands you use strongly depends on what you're trying to cool and how much you want to spend.

You can't be 100% sure that it will not leak. However, as long as you're careful, there is a strong possibility that it will not leak. But in the rare case that you do have a leak, if you use distilled water, it won't short anything. I speak from lots of experience. ;)

As for guides, it's really not too hard. The actual installation is just connecting the tubes to everything.

Thanks, I've always wanted to do it but if it is real easy then I could think about ordering one from danger den, but what all do I need? cause Im just trying to cool my CPU

I'm no WC'ing expert. That's why I'm not going to recommend any specific parts. But I do understand the concepts involved.

Generally speaking, people tend to get different parts from different manufacturers because no one company makes all the best parts.

For a CPU only loop, you need a CPU block, a pump, a reservoir (or a T Line), and a radiator. I would advise you to get a the physically largest radiator that will fit in your case. Performance is largely determined by radiator surface area.

System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
I'm no WC'ing expert. That's why I'm not going to recommend any specific parts. But I do understand the concepts involved.

Generally speaking, people tend to get different parts from different manufacturers because no one company makes all the best parts.

For a CPU only loop, you need a CPU block, a pump, a reservoir (or a T Line), and a radiator. I would advise you to get a the physically largest radiator that will fit in your case. Performance is largely determined by radiator surface area.

Most people place the radiators outside the case to get the heat outside of that hot box we call a computer case. :laugh:

Pumps: MCP350 is a nice little pump that is cheap and small. I have used it in three loops. I suggest tygon tubing since it is so resistant to leaks and kinks in the tube itself. Masterkleer is pretty looking but I prefer medical grade tygon for reliability.

Best choice for a new guy on the block is dangerden and petras tech shop IMO.

Last edited:
System Name gaming system
Processor 2600k @ 4.2 ghz
Motherboard MSI Z77 MPower
Cooling Thermalright ultra extreme 120 rev.C w/noctua NF-S12B push/pull
Memory 16gb corsair vengeance 2400 c11 @1.5 v/
Video Card(s) GB gtx670 WF3x sli @1080/1372/6660(core/boost/mem)
Storage 2x samsung 850evo 250gb raid 0 ,2tb wdblack, 3TB wd purple
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster P2770FH, asus VH242t/19" lg 1440x900
Case fractal design r4
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX1050
Mouse Razer abyssus
Keyboard corsair k70
Software Windows 10 pro x64
koolance 345/360 are really nice and damn good cpu block( maybe watch trubritar's reviews on youtube) and you should go for a dual radiator or triple

System Name mult1kill
Cooling Cryorig H7
Video Card(s) RTX 2060
Case NZXT S340
Mouse WMO
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3
Software Windows10
I have a "fillport" or whatever in my Cooler Master HAD case......whats a fillport,lol, will this make watercooling easier?

I have a "fillport" or whatever in my Cooler Master HAD case......whats a fillport,lol, will this make watercooling easier?
OOOoo. An intergrated fillport. That's cool. Fillports and/or resevoirs are used to fill your system. It's how you add water to it. You have a few options in your situation.

You can use a resevoir only. The res will be somewhere in your loop and when you want to add water, you add water to the res.

You can use a T-line. You attach a tube from the fill port in your case to some tubing in your loop. Where they intersect, you add a T fitting (or something very similar) When you want to add water to your loop, you use the fillport on your case.

You can use a combination of the two. You can have a tube run from from the fillport to a third opening on the reservoir. To add water to the res, you pour it in the fillport. I have never seen this done before, but I see no reason why it can't be done. This be really cool.

EastCoasthandle

System Name MY PC
Processor E8400 @ 3.80Ghz > Q9650 3.60Ghz
Motherboard Maximus Formula
Cooling D5, 7/16" ID Tubing, Maze4 with Fuzion CPU WB
Memory XMS 8500C5D @ 1066MHz
Video Card(s) HD 2900 XT 858/900 to 4870 to 5870 (Keep Vreg area clean)
Storage 2
Display(s) 24"
Case P180
Audio Device(s) X-fi Plantinum
Power Supply Silencer 750
Software XP Pro SP3 to Windows 7
Benchmark Scores This varies from one driver to another.
System Name Cosmos F1000
Processor i9-9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370XP SLI, BIOS 15a
Cooling Corsair H100i, Panaflo's on case
Memory XPG GAMMIX D30 2x16GB DDR4 3200 CL16
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 2080 ti
Storage 1TB 960 Pro, 2TB Samsung 850 Pro, 4TB WD Hard Drive
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG278Q 27"
Case CM Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) logitech 5.1 system (midrange quality)
Power Supply CORSAIR HXi HX1000i 1000watt
Mouse G400s Logitech
Keyboard K65 RGB Corsair Tenkeyless Cherry Red MX
Software Win10 Pro, Win7 x64 Professional
OOOoo. An intergrated fillport. That's cool. Fillports and/or resevoirs are used to fill your system. It's how you add water to it. You have a few options in your situation.

You can use a resevoir only. The res will be somewhere in your loop and when you want to add water, you add water to the res.

You can use a T-line. You attach a tube from the fill port in your case to some tubing in your loop. Where they intersect, you add a T fitting (or something very similar) When you want to add water to your loop, you use the fillport on your case.

You can use a combination of the two. You can have a tube run from from the fillport to a third opening on the reservoir. To add water to the res, you pour it in the fillport. I have never seen this done before, but I see no reason why it can't be done. This be really cool.

I would say a reservior is much better than just negating it with a fillport and T-line. Reserviors add to the liquid volume of the loop which can help to keep temps lower. Unless the pump you are using is so weak that it lowers the water pressure/speed of the waterflow to a crawl in which case it wouldn't be good. But I am not sure I have ever heard someone being in that situation before.

System Name mult1kill
Cooling Cryorig H7
Video Card(s) RTX 2060
Case NZXT S340
Mouse WMO
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3
Software Windows10
I have been looking around and really taking my time to see which would be a better buy. I realized...I have no clue what im doing lol. I was wondering if someone could take the time and screenshot me a good water cooling kit from dangerden.com that would be pretty sweet. I only want to water cool my CPU. Can anyone help me out with something like that?

System Name mult1kill
Cooling Cryorig H7
Video Card(s) RTX 2060
Case NZXT S340
Mouse WMO
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3
Software Windows10
Wanting to bring back this thread because, I wanted to know I dont trust myself with watercooling yet would a good alternative be getting either a Corsair H50, CoolIT ECO, or CoolIT Freezone

if its a good idea then which one would be the best one to get?

im also open to air alternatives better than the ones I've listed

Last edited:
System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
I was wondering ever since I got my new PC, I told myself "I think I should finally move to water cooling" but my friend had problems with it. He bought a water cooled Alienware pc, and there have been many MANY leaks with his he took his back about 3-5 times already, this is what really scares me, so I always stuck to Air cooling. I had some questions

1. How many watts on your PSU do you need?(I have 650)
2.I have looked into dangerden, but I have heard of better options, what are they?
3.How can I assure that there will NEVER be a leak
4. is there a guide online where I can find how to install water cooling?(I found one on xoxide.com omit this question)

1.) PSU doesn't really change with water cooling. The pump draws maybe a few extra watts of power.
2.) Dangerden rocks. They have really nice gear, and they have some starter kits that will guide you through everything with ease, and perform well.
3.) You can't. You can only do your best to prevent them. Patience is key. And attention to detail.
4.) TONS of guides everywhere, google has them all! :p

Wanting to bring back this thread because, I wanted to know I dont trust myself with watercooling yet would a good alternative be getting either a Corsair H50, CoolIT ECO, or CoolIT Freezone

if its a good idea then which one would be the best one to get?
im also open to air alternatives better than the ones I've listed

Air would probably yield better results than most prebuilt kits. They aren't terrible though.

I would suggest maybe just buying some pieces to put together a mock loop, to get familiar with building a real loop, and then moving it into your computer, rather than spending a lot of money on a sub-par performing kit.

System Name mult1kill
Cooling Cryorig H7
Video Card(s) RTX 2060
Case NZXT S340
Mouse WMO
Keyboard Ducky Shine 3
Software Windows10
1.) PSU doesn't really change with water cooling. The pump draws maybe a few extra watts of power.
2.) Dangerden rocks. They have really nice gear, and they have some starter kits that will guide you through everything with ease, and perform well.
3.) You can't. You can only do your best to prevent them. Patience is key. And attention to detail.
4.) TONS of guides everywhere, google has them all! :p

Air would probably yield better results than most prebuilt kits. They aren't terrible though.

I would suggest maybe just buying some pieces to put together a mock loop, to get familiar with building a real loop, and then moving it into your computer, rather than spending a lot of money on a sub-par performing kit.

Hey thanks thats really helpful, I have been looking at dangerden kits and they're pretty expenisve, but I'm still looking at them. think you could put together a kit so I could take a look at it?

System Name Dell XPS 15 9560
Processor I7-7700HQ
Memory 32GB DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1050/1080 Ti
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) 2x Dell P2715Q/4k Internal
Case Razer Core
Audio Device(s) Creative E5/Objective 2 Amp/Senn HD650
Mouse Logitech Proteus Core
Keyboard Logitech G910
Hey thanks thats really helpful, I have been looking at dangerden kits and they're pretty expenisve, but I'm still looking at them. think you could put together a kit so I could take a look at it?

If I could put together a Dangerden kit, it would be the premade ones they already have.

They may seem a little expensive, but in all reality, It is a REALLY good kit.

It comes with literally EVERYTHING you need to get up and running. Tubing, Clamps, Blocks, pump, everything. Even a very useful instructional DVD.

Infact, I'm using the kit they offer(Modified for my GPU, and radiatior though). It was the same stuff I was going to buy anyways, outside of the single 120mm radiator, of which I have a Black ice II in place of. It is a FANTASTIC starter kit. Highly recommend it to anyone starting water cooling. the little white clamps they have, make it really secure to prevent leaks reliably.