• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Computer won't boot :(

My computer won't boot. It turns on and does nothing.

I've tried running individual RAM sticks. I've tried removing one of the graphics cards. I tried changing CPUs. Nothing works.

What should I try? If you say it I'll do it.

If you've been following my 'Pump Died!' thread (which I doubt you have) you'll know that I'm not very happy atm. This computer has given me nothing but alot of hassle. :mad: If you want it, make an offer.

System Name THE MAD BEAST!!!
Processor Tinfoil rapper with some coathangers
Motherboard Graham cracker with with frosting
Cooling A shovel full of snow
Memory Grey matter out of a corpse
Video Card(s) Cat eyes
Storage A whales brain
Display(s) Cyclops eyeball
Case Inside a yetis hollowed out corpse
Audio Device(s) howling banchee
Power Supply 32 hamster on a massive wheel
Software WHo needs software when you have a box of kittens
Benchmark Scores IS gatrillions a number?
make sure your harddrive didnt become slighty unplugged, make sure your 4 pin is connected, take your battery out and reset your cmos,

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
so the PC wont post period?

take everything out and set the motherboard on a box then plug in the PSU 1 stick of ram and a video card if needed and try and if this doesnt work take the CMOS batter out for an hour and retry it. if that doesnt work then its more than likely dead

make sure your harddrive didnt become slighty unplugged, make sure your 4 pin is connected, take your battery out and reset your cmos,
Done, done, done. Still no boot.

so the PC wont post period?

take everything out and set the motherboard on a box then plug in the PSU 1 stick of ram and a video card if needed and try and if this doesnt work take the CMOS batter out for an hour and retry it. if that doesnt work then its more than likely dead
When I hit the power button, everything turns on like it's supposed to. But nothing happens after that. No display, no hdd activity. (There is a little HDD activity when it first starts up, but it's only for 1 sec and then nothing)

I would really really really really love to not disassemble this. I will if I absolutely have to, but please let that be a last resort.

I have tried each RAM stick individually, I have disconnected the 2nd graphics card, and I just reset the cmos.

System Name Omen
Processor i7-4710HQ
Cooling Dual fan/heatpipe
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 4GB GTX 860M
Storage 256GB PCIE SSD/256GB PNY UHS-1 SD Card
Display(s) 15.6' 1080P
Case Aluminium
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Brick
Software Win 10
My computer won't boot. It turns on and does nothing.

I've tried running individual RAM sticks. I've tried removing one of the graphics cards. I tried changing CPUs. Nothing works.

What should I try? If you say it I'll do it.

If you've been following my 'Pump Died!' thread (which I doubt you have) you'll know that I'm not very happy atm. This computer has given me nothing but alot of hassle. :mad: If you want it, make an offer.

I've had a similar problem, it was just that the graphics card wasn't put into the slot hard enough:laugh: The lights turned on cpu fan spun, gpu fan spun but it wouldn't boot. Just try and push the graphics card in the slot a bit harder.

I've had a similar problem, it was just that the graphics card wasn't put into the slot hard enough:laugh: The lights turned on cpu fan spun, gpu fan spun but it wouldn't boot. Just try and push the graphics card in the slot a bit harder.
I pressed it in hard and made sure it was fully in its slot. Still no boot.

System Name Hogan's Crap
Processor Intel i3-2120 Crap!
Motherboard Dell POS Crap!
Cooling Stock Crap!
Memory 4 GB Kingston DDR3 10600 Crap!
Video Card(s) Stock Crap!
Storage 500 GB 5400 rpm Crap!
Software Windows 10 64bit
Bro, I think your going to have to break her down and start from scratch. :( No beeps at post? Had this same situation on one of my crunchers a few weeks back. I tried everything I could think of and was stumped. I stripped it down and did a mobo box build, fired right up. To this day I dont know what happened to cause it to not boot. :confused:

Bro, I think your going to have to break her down and start from scratch. :( No beeps at post? Had this same situation on one of my crunchers a few weeks back. I tried everything I could think of and was stumped. I stripped it down and did a mobo box build, fired right up. To this day I dont know what happened to cause it to not boot. :confused:
:cry:

I don't know if I have the will to put it back together again. If I take it all apart, it'll probably go in a FS thread. : /

But I'm convinced now. God doesn't want me to play BF BC2. It came days after my pump died and has been sitting here ever since. :(

More suggestions before I take this apart?

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Go and have a coffee, and check that every cable is connected properly. Its important for you to let your mind wander a bit before coming back, you might approach the problem differently. Are you sure the graphics card is working?

@angelkiller
Make sure you don't accidently twisted some pin socket .
The thing is that I had this problem before I ever changed CPUs. Good suggestion.

Go and have a coffee, and check that every cable is connected properly. Its important for you to let your mind wander a bit before coming back, you might approach the problem differently. Are you sure the graphics card is working?
I've been at this problem for days now...

I'm not sure that my graphics card is working.

But get this: I take both graphics cards out and toss in a spare 3870 and it Posts! Kinda bittersweet though. I can use my system again but it means that at least one, maybe both of my graphics cards are bad. :(

[rant]
And that really really sucks. I've wanted to get this system 'finished' for a year now. I just wanted 4830 CF and have it all watercooled. Is that too much to ask. First one of the cards went bad. Needed a RMA. Before I can WC the replacement, same thing happens again. But this time, I don't have the stock mounting screws, so I can't RMA it. Get this: I have the card and the stock heatsink but I can't RMA it because I don't have the fucking screws. :mad: So I'm back to one card. Luckily I find a guy selling an exact replacement 4830 for cheap. I jump on that. And I finally get everything WC'ed. Yay. Within a month, my pump dies. And when I get a replacement pump the compuer won't start. Turns out one of the cards doesn't work again. Back to step 1. Rinse, lather, repeat. Yes. In that order.
[/rant]

I don't want your sympathy. I'm just a little burned out. I've put alot of effort into this system and I haven't gotten much enjoyment out of it. Sorry you had to read all that. (if you did)