• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Newegg - Do you check your returned items at all?

System Name Dust Collector
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard Asus B550I Aorus Pro WiFi AX
Cooling Alpenfohn Black Ridge V2 w/ Noctua NF-A9x14
Memory Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3200MHz/CL16
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 5700 XT
Storage Samsung EVO+ 500GB NVMe
Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Power Supply Corsair SF600 Platinum
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
I bought CoolIT ECO A.L.C. from Newegg because my Mini P180 is very limited in space and my Iceage 120 Boss II made switching out hardware a pain in the ass (and my hands, cut myself twice). I was going to buy either the H50 or ECO, whichever I could find for a better price and Newegg had the ECO for $83 shipped w/ a $20 rebate.

I ordered it on Saturday and it came Wednesday, so shipping/delivery was on time. I took apart my system to put back the motherboard's stock backplate, removed the rear fan, and then proceeded to install the ECO.

However, right out of the shipping box I noticed that the ECO's retail box was NOT shrink wrapped like the one I bought from Directron a while ago, and the corners of the box were dented. I took the unit out and noticed that the AM2 mounting hardware was not stuck together (very hard to describe) & was not wrapped in plastic like the one from Directron. The installation guide (one sheet of paper) was slightly wrinkled & had a tiny spec of red on it, something like ketchup. By now I was very skeptical, and not surprisingly I took the ECO out of the its Styrofoam housing and BAM the radiator had a ton of bent fins.

Granted, Newegg gave me an RMA # and a shipping label to send back the piece of junk for a refund, but what the hell? Do they even check the hardware before approving an RMA? Or did they ship me a used unit hoping I have down syndrome?

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I believe every online seller makes mistakes and atleast there fixing it it.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
my guess is either hoping you have down syndrome or just an honest mistake by an overworked order picker:confused:

Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613
I believe every online seller makes mistakes and atleast there fixing it it.

I love Newegg & all, but this is ridiculous. The only reason they didn't realize the ECO was so banged up was that they didn't even open the damn box when they received it back. That or the person inspecting the unit was blind.

my guess is either hoping you have down syndrome or just an honest mistake by an overworked order picker:confused:

I don't get it though, isn't it standard protocol to check RMA items? It probably was returned by some jackass who claimed it was 'never opened', but the box corners were dented and it was so blatantly obvious that the unit was previously opened (the flap/tab thingy was sticking out a bit) that it should have never made it back to their shelves along with the actual brand new units.

System Name Beast
Processor Intel Core i7 860 @ 3.8GHz
Motherboard eVGA P55 FTW
Cooling Coolit Eco ALC with Yate Loon 1700RPM fans
Memory 8 GB Patriot Viper @ DDR3-2000
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX280
Storage 2x 1 TB WD Caviar Black
Case Thermaltake Element V
Power Supply Seasonic X760
Software Win7 x64 Ultimate
Agreed -- I've had very few problems with newegg -- and when there's been a mess up, they've always been great about getting the error resolved.

Only issue I have recently is that their prices seem to be higher than a lot of brick and mortar stores here in houston.

System Name Aluminum Mallard
Processor Ryzen 1900x
Motherboard AsRock Phantom 6
Cooling AIO
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) EVGA 3080Ti FTW
Storage SSD
Display(s) Benq Zowie
Case Cosmos 1000
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply Corsair CX750
VR HMD HTV Vive, Valve Index
Software Arch Linux
Benchmark Scores 31 FPS in Dalaran
I bought CoolIT ECO A.L.C. from Newegg because my Mini P180 is very limited in space and my Iceage 120 Boss II made switching out hardware a pain in the ass (and my hands, cut myself twice). I was going to buy either the H50 or ECO, whichever I could find for a better price and Newegg had the ECO for $83 shipped w/ a $20 rebate.

I ordered it on Saturday and it came Wednesday, so shipping/delivery was on time. I took apart my system to put back the motherboard's stock backplate, removed the rear fan, and then proceeded to install the ECO.

However, right out of the shipping box I noticed that the ECO's retail box was NOT shrink wrapped like the one I bought from Directron a while ago, and the corners of the box were dented. I took the unit out and noticed that the AM2 mounting hardware was not stuck together (very hard to describe) & was not wrapped in plastic like the one from Directron. The installation guide (one sheet of paper) was slightly wrinkled & had a tiny spec of red on it, something like ketchup. By now I was very skeptical, and not surprisingly I took the ECO out of the its Styrofoam housing and BAM the radiator had a ton of bent fins.

Granted, Newegg gave me an RMA # and a shipping label to send back the piece of junk for a refund, but what the hell? Do they even check the hardware before approving an RMA? Or did they ship me a used unit hoping I have down syndrome?

You should change your sig quote.

I kid, I kid!

Newegg will take care of you. Mistakes happen.

BUCK NASTY

4P Enthusiust
System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX-4130 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Evo
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Strix @ 1503Mhz Core
Storage Corsair Force 90gb SSD/ WD Caviar Blue 750gb
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS
Case Coolermaster Centurion 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec TP750 80+
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
I agree that Newegg does ship some questionable items sometimes, but considering their volume, they have a pretty good track record. They check returns for "functionality", not aesthetics. I bought an open box Mobo that was $40.00 cheaper that new, only to find that the 2nd PCI-E traces were destroyed. I was going to RMA it, but it only cost me $51.00 and it was rock solid except for the 2nd PCI-E slot. I understand your anger expecting something new and receiving an open box instead. hang in there an endure the RMA process. Hopefully everything works out with the replacement. Nobody's perfect, but Newegg is still the best overall.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
I am leaning towards an over worked individual who is working for them .. it happens...Hey just be glad its newegg that your dealing with or you could have been even more disappointed.;)

hat

Enthusiast
System Name Starlifter :: Dragonfly
Processor i7 2600k 4.4GHz :: i5 10400
Motherboard ASUS P8P67 Pro :: ASUS Prime H570-Plus
Cooling Cryorig M9 :: Stock
Memory 4x4GB DDR3 2133 :: 2x8GB DDR4 2400
Video Card(s) PNY GTX1070 :: Integrated UHD 630
Storage Crucial MX500 1TB, 2x1TB Seagate RAID 0 :: Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SSD, 3x4TB Seagate HDD RAID5
Display(s) Onn 165hz 1080p :: Acer 1080p
Case Antec SOHO 1030B :: Old White Full Tower
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro - Bose Companion 2 Series III :: None
Power Supply FSP Hydro GE 550w :: EVGA Supernova 550
Software Windows 10 Pro - Plex Server on Dragonfly
Benchmark Scores >9000

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I don't get it though, isn't it standard protocol to check RMA items? It probably was returned by some jackass who claimed it was 'never opened', but the box corners were dented and it was so blatantly obvious that the unit was previously opened (the flap/tab thingy was sticking out a bit) that it should have never made it back to their shelves along with the actual brand new units.

Newegg sells their RMA'd items as Open Box items. So if you bought a retail version and not an Open Box, then more than likely it was a simple mistake. Either the returned item got put in the wrong place and shipped back out as retail, or someone just grabbed the wrong one off the shelf when packing your order.

I agree that Newegg does ship some questionable items sometimes, but considering their volume, they have a pretty good track record. They check returns for "functionality", not aesthetics. I bought an open box Mobo that was $40.00 cheaper that new, only to find that the 2nd PCI-E traces were destroyed. I was going to RMA it, but it only cost me $51.00 and it was rock solid except for the 2nd PCI-E slot. I understand your anger expecting something new and receiving an open box instead. hang in there an endure the RMA process. Hopefully everything works out with the replacement. Nobody's perfect, but Newegg is still the best overall.

You definitely take chances like this with open box items. I had a similar experience with a P5N32 board. Though in my case the second pair of RAM slots didn't work. I simply RMA'd it through ASUS for a brand new board.

Newegg will make things right, sometimes better than right(e.g. they've given me store credit twice in the past because of their mistakes).

Display(s) Dell S2721DGF
Case Dan Case A4
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Logitech G613

This would make sense if I bought a recertified, open box, or refurbished item. I paid retail price for that thing expecting a retail product. Color stains on the manual (which is a single sheet of paper so if they even checked it would have been impossible to miss), signs of wear and tear on the packaging, no shrink wrapping, and half a row of bent fins on the radiator that weren't even black anymore? Really? >_>

ANYBODY who went as far as to open the package would have seen the damaged radiator.

Last edited:

DOM

Processor Intel i7 4770K
Motherboard Asrock
Cooling Water
Memory Team Xtreem LV 16GB (2x8GB)
Video Card(s) EK Full WB HD7970
Display(s) CROSSOVER 27Q LED-P 27"
Case Danger Den Torture Rack
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200
Software W 10 Pro
i got some of those lcd picture frames for are moms from newegg i still havent sent them out but im ??? they seek open box or like a referbished cuz the boxes look like they been around the block a few times

like some of the things it came with sees like someone put them back in after opening it

it has two stickers on the tab you open to open the side makes me think there where returned and sold as new

I wouldnt worry about it too much. Mistakes happen. Just be happy they're getting it sorted for you. :)

shevanel

I do not order anything off the "open box" shelf over at newegg. Most of it are just returns from prior customers. They look at it for 2 seconds before listing it as a restock and selling it to someone that will return it again for the same reason.

Read the reviews under the item labled "open box" and the comments will probably leave a trail to what's in your basket.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
MostAll of it are just returns from prior customers.

FTFY

That is what open box is, customer returns. I don't really have a problem ordering them, because I know what to expect, and know how to deal with missing parts. I like saving the money.