• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Zalman ZM-M215W 3D Monitor

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
The ZM-M215W is the part of the newest line-up of 3D monitors by Zalman. Instead of plucking down hundreds of dollars on NVIDIA shutter glasses and being bound to NVIDIA GPUs, you can pluck down hundreds over a normal 2D monitor of the similar size, but be free from the shackles, allowed to use any GPU of your choice. Is that still worth it? We put on the glasses and take a really close look.

Show full review

Last edited by a moderator:
Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
Decent review there, you seem to have picked up on most of the issues i've found with the monitor in the month and a bit that i've had it.

One thing you did completely miss out though is that the tridef media player can convert 2d video content to a 3d effect. It is not as good as a proper 3d movie, but the effect is pretty damned good and works very well once you have it tuned right for your preferences (just adjust the scene depth and the pop out/in sliders and you're set). The tridef drivers can convert most video file formats and dvds to 3d. Blurays are another issue i will now cover.

Also powerdvd10 will be getting a patch this summer enabling it to convert 2d Blurays to 3d in the same way the tridef media player does, which is a nice feature. It will also have full 3d bluray support and so will be able to play 3d blurays through this monitor with no problem.

I find using the monitor in a darkened room helps improve the viewing experience as you get less reflections from the screen. I also find that depending on the colour palette used in the content i'm viewing that the real-d cinema glasses do better than the zalman ones - the zalmans do a lot better with preventing cross-talk on high-contrast images (black objects next to white objetcs) but the real-d glasses seem to give more vibrant colours, but i guess it is a minor preference thing.

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
I find it hard to see an 8.0 given to a monitor which can't live up to its main advertisement point without using (trial) third-party software. Somehow, all hardware that I've seen hitting the market in this underdeveloped stage never makes it to the real world.

The monitor itself isn't that much either: bleeding backlight, a TN panel and ultra-mega-glossy.

Instead of "approving" an unfinished product, I feel the urgent need to tell Zalman they should polish their product in a less literal manner, and in a more R&D-favored manner, before they put it on the market. Zalman simply does not deliver with this product.

My verdict after reading the same review:
- 2D, this monitor is around budget-level quality
- 3D takes unfathomable effort
- 3D experience is still quite limited once you get it to work

Zalman gets a 4.0 for producing a budget 2D monitor with hidden 3D features.

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
I find it hard to see an 8.0 given to a monitor which can't live up to its main advertisement point without using (trial) third-party software. Somehow, all hardware that I've seen hitting the market in this underdeveloped stage never makes it to the real world.

The monitor itself isn't that much either: bleeding backlight, a TN panel and ultra-mega-glossy.

Instead of "approving" an unfinished product, I feel the urgent need to tell Zalman they should polish their product in a less literal manner, and in a more R&D-favored manner, before they put it on the market. Zalman simply does not deliver with this product.

My verdict after reading the same review:
- 2D, this monitor is around budget-level quality
- 3D takes unfathomable effort
- 3D experience is still quite limited once you get it to work

Zalman gets a 4.0 for producing a budget 2D monitor with hidden 3D features.

Well look at it this way:

What can you do if you want to game in 3D:

Buy an NVIDIA GPU + 3D VISION Glasses (150 - 200 USD) + 120 Hz Monitor (price premium over normal LCDs).

Or you grab something like the Zalman Monitor for 150 - 200 USD price premium, can use any GPU. Games are starting to put native 3D montior support in in the near future...

You really do not have a lot of options if you want to game in 3D. Simple as that. And with the Zalman monitor you *can* game in 3D...with a few drawbacks, but still usable.

Every new emerging technologies has issues and can be improved. Fact is, the 3D monitor is usable and fun once set up and viewed correctly...sure it carries a price premium, but so do all new technologies...

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
Well look at it this way:

What can you do if you want to game in 3D:

Buy an NVIDIA GPU + 3D VISION Glasses (150 - 200 USD) + 120 Hz Monitor (price premium over normal LCDs).

Or you grab something like the Zalman Monitor for 150 - 200 USD price premium, can use any GPU. Games are starting to put native 3D montior support in in the near future...

You really do not have a lot of options if you want to game in 3D. Simple as that. And with the Zalman monitor you *can* game in 3D...with a few drawbacks, but still usable.

Every new emerging technologies has issues and can be improved. Fact is, the 3D monitor is usable and fun once set up and viewed correctly...sure it carries a price premium, but so do all new technologies...

Okay, I can respect that point of view, and comparing this monitor only to a normal 2D monitor is a little short I admit.

I also feel that with any new technology, there is a very small line between when it is, and when it is not worth your money to step into the playing field.
Having made the error of buying an OCZ Neural Impulse Actuator, which was full of potential, but simply had too much issues to actually get it to work correctly in an ordinary home, and having had driver problems from October till March on my HD5850, I've had enough of products that cannot deliver what they are supposed to deliver, according to the advertisements.

Yes, this is up to the level of a rant :D but I honestly believe, that when you're playing with new technology, you should either inform the buying user that the technology is immature, so the product experience can be really quirky, or not sell the product at all.

Now, if Zalman had the benefit of iZ3D being famous for their quick updates and great support, I would be able to see where this 8.0 came from. Unfortunately, they haven't improved jack since I've heard about them half a year ago.

Processor Intel Core i9 9900k @ 5.1GHZ all core load (8c 16t)
Motherboard MSI MEG Z390 ACE
Cooling Corsair H100i v2 240mm
Memory 32GB Corsair 3200mhz C16 (2x16GB)
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate (XTXH) @ 2.6ghz core, 2.1ghz mem
Storage 256GB WD Black NVME drive, 4TB across various SSDs/NVMEs, 4TB HDD
Display(s) Asus 32" PG32QUX (4k 144hz mini-LED backlit IPS with freesync & gsync & 1400 nit HDR)
Case Corsair 760T
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed on powerplay mousemat
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Wireless Vive Pro & Valve knuckles
Software Windows 10 Pro
Now, if Zalman had the benefit of iZ3D being famous for their quick updates and great support, I would be able to see where this 8.0 came from. Unfortunately, they haven't improved jack since I've heard about them half a year ago.

Umm iz3d launched a new driver set last month with dx10/11 support (a pretty significant improvement over only supporting dx9 titles, and they had dx11 support ready at about the same time nvidia did, so they aren't exactly slow) and used the new triple buffering 3d support section of the ati drivers which was just recently introduced. Yes you don't get monthly releases but they do give good updates at a decent rate.

As for the issues with new tech all new tech has issues- it just depends on how critical they are which determines if the technology can take off or not. As an owner of a pre-mass production OCZ NIA i know your pain, but as an early adopter of this screen i can say i am quite happy as the product is very usable. I just don't use it as my primary monitor and use it only for 3d content so the low-standard 2d performance doesn't bother me in the least.

System Name Kincsem
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE X570S AERO G
Cooling Be Quiet Black Rock 4 Pro
Memory HyperX 128GB Fury 4×32GB 3200MHz HX432C16FB3K4/128
Video Card(s) Sapphire AMD RX 7900 XT Pulse
Storage Samsung 970PRO 500GB + Samsung 980PRO 2TB + Adata SX8200 2TB + WD Ultrastar HC550 16TB
Display(s) Acer QHD 27"@144Hz 1ms + UHD 27"@60Hz
Case Cooler Master CM 690 III
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME GOLD 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Elite RGB
Software Windows 10-64
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/4d8n02 https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/g46uc
Micropolarization technique is my favorite 3D solution. :)

I like this monitor!
Great review ;)

System Name Rectangulote
Processor Core I9-9900KF
Motherboard Asus TUF Z390M
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora 280 + Eisblock RTX 3090 RE + 2 x 240 ST30
Memory 32 GB DDR4 3600mhz CL16 Crucial Ballistix
Video Card(s) KFA2 RTX 3090 SG
Storage WD Blue 3D 2TB + 2 x WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 2 x Asus ROG Swift PG278QR / Samsung Q60R
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Evga Nu Audio + Sennheiser HD599SE + Trust GTX 258
Power Supply Corsair RMX850
Mouse Razer Naga Wireless Pro / Logitech MX Master
Keyboard Keychron K4 / Dierya DK61 Pro
Software Windows 11 Pro
What a coincidence, these days I'm promoting 3d tvs in a sony style shop. In the training I received they named the system as active polarized glasses, at least this is how in Spain they named it, don't really know if active polarized glasses and shutter glasses are the same method, but it would fit in shutter glasses description. If someone knows, please tell me.

Back in topic, I have tried the lx900 and its shutter/active polarized glasses and is by far the best 3d tv I tried (not tried sharp yet, but samsung and lg). Why they don't drop the passive polarized glasses system? Image quality is quite worse with that system, of course cheaper, but the ones who buy a 3d monitor/tv nowadays most of them wants the best image quality. Why they use this method having better options?