• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

connecting 2 networks

System Name Machine XV
Processor Dual Xeon E5 2670 V3 Turbo unlocked
Motherboard Kllisre X99 Dual
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Display(s) 19" + 23" + 17"
Case ATX
Audio Device(s) XFi xtreme USB
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
me and my friend both have internet but transfering files is very slow so i had an idea of connecting our networks via wifi.

my friend is just under a mile away and i have had it tested at just over 4mb using some wrt routers + 2 500mw amps + 2x 15dbi antennas but the thing i was wondering is how do i join the networks so that we both use our own routers with dhcp but are able to use windows file sharing.

i could probibly do it without dhcp and manualy set the gateways but its a pain having to reconfigure every device manualy to connect.

the other idea i had was to use some kind of vpn setup but i would like something that doesnt have to be clicked to connect.

any ideas?

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
windows file share will work just fine if the routers are connected together via wireless.

just set your PC's to use the correct gateway for internet and your set.

windows file share will work just fine if the routers are connected together via wireless.

just set your PC's to use the correct gateway for internet and your set.
In different words, you just using one person's router as a bridge. What happens then is that both people will be on the same network and using one internet connection. Windows should definately see all the PCs.

But then one internet connection will not be used.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
^^ what angelkiller said. either your friend's router or your router needs to be setup in bridge mode. however, not all wireless routers can be wireless bridges. check your model.

System Name Bitch / Dogma
Processor 955 BE @ 3.8Gig / 9850 @stock
Video Card(s) 8800 GTX 512 / 4890
Storage 8 x Samsung F2 1.5TB, 8 x Seagate 500s
Display(s) Acer 24 / Dell 24
Case Lian li / Akasa
Software Win server 2008 / Win 7
Me and my friends use hamachi for setting up a private network - will allow shares etc but by default that is turned off. It will take 5 mins max to download and install.

You do need to click to connect tho.

System Name Machine XV
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Case ATX
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
What about if I set my router to 10.0.0.1 and set the dhcp to 10.0.0.2-49 and set his router to 10.0.0.50 and his dhcp to 10.0.0.51-99 that would let our file sharing work and the both of us keep our own Internet but then how do I stop the dhcp from crossing over making sure his router doesn't try and give my computers an ip?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
geo, turn one of the routers into a bridge. if there is a preset, then the router will automatically turn off dhcp for you and you wont have to worry about setting the proper ip. you may have to set a specific ip of the router you have in bridge mode though to be compliant with the main router which is assigning the IPs. once you do that you will be on the same network and you will be using your friends internet connection.

side note: i am curious about your hardware setup. do you go form the router to the amp to the high power antenna?

System Name Machine XV
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Case ATX
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
It's set up at my side I have a 50mb cable connection going into my N router from there is an Ethernet cable to a motorola router running ddwrt then to a 500mw booster then to a 15 dbi antenna and it's pretty much the same on his side apart from it's a linksys running ddwrt.

System Name Gamer
Processor AMD Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/AX
Memory 32GB
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming D
Case Phanteks Eclipse P200A D-RGB
Power Supply 800w CM
Mouse Corsair M65 Pro
Software Windows 10 Pro
Any way you do this, one of your internet connections will not be used (and you'll still be paying for it, plus both of you combined will only get the full bandwidth of one connection.) I'd say set up a file server on each of your networks, and exchange addresses/passwords.

System Name Machine XV
Cooling 120mm heatsink
Memory 64gb DDR4 ECC
Video Card(s) RX 480 4Gb
Storage 1Tb NVME SSD
Case ATX
Power Supply 800W
Software Windows 10
Any way you do this, one of your internet connections will not be used (and you'll still be paying for it, plus both of you combined will only get the full bandwidth of one connection.) I'd say set up a file server on each of your networks, and exchange addresses/passwords.

we both have servers set up so mabe i am going about this the wrong way trying to get all our computers to talk to each other instead i should just have our servers able to connect to each other. i dont really need to use windows file sharing there are alot more ways i can think of that i could use to share files ftp/http but the windows file sharing will let me use network drives. so i can use it like a local disk.

and we are not planning on sharing internet he has a 25mb cable connection and i have a 50mb the problem is out upload is crap thats the reason for the network so large file transfers will be faster and wont swamp our internet when we are having a 50 player TDM on COD4

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
am i missing somthing.

setup a bridge via wiress with 2 routers to get your networks connected to eachother.

then make sure you configure each pc to use separate gateways (aka internet).

then you will have seprate internet connections but you will still have local file shareing.

if that dosnt work due to a wireless router in bridge mode, buy 1 more router and stick it between the bridge router and your modem/ pc and it will solve all your problems.

Modem 1 = gateway 1, 192.168.0.1
Modem 2 = gateway 2, 192.168.0.2

2 wireless routers connected to eachother.

behind those 2 routers are your PC's, just make sure the gateway it set right to use the correct modem.

Pic of the setup.

or if that dosnt work due to the router in bridge mode bypassing the rest of the network.

Last edited:
@ Slyfox

I imagined this a bit differently. It's my understanding that when you use a bridge, you end up with one big network. So the router that acts as a bridge won't be doing any routing. And because of this, one of the internet connections and gateways will not be used. I've never seen a network with two gateways unless they were being load balanced by a single router. Maybe the better way to say that is that I've never seen a network with two routers. I was imagining this:

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
if you look at my 2nd draw up you will see where i added a 3rd router to solve the bridging problem if there was one.

cant be certain if that would work as i havnt ever used a config like that but multiple routers works just fine, i currently have 3 routers and a switch on my home network.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
it doesnt have to be that complicated. he just needs to setup his wireless router as a bridge making that router become part of his friend's LAN. then they can share files just like any computers on the same LAN...

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Power Supply Antec 650w
exacly rhino,

thats what i was thinking.
with my 1st draw up you can see its very simple, connect both the routers together via bridging and make sure each pc is set to the correct gateway so they dont use eachothers internet accidently.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
exacly rhino,

thats what i was thinking.
with my 1st draw up you can see its very simple, connect both the routers together via bridging and make sure each pc is set to the correct gateway so they dont use eachothers internet accidently.

he wont even have to mess with changing IPs. the only thing he has to do is on his router which he has set to bridge mode is make sure that the router IP is set within in the range of his friends router running dhcp. once that happens all of his own PCs will contact his friends DHCP to connect. i am actually kinda jealous of this project because i would love to drop 200 bucks on a 500mw amp and a high powered antenna to mess around with this!

edit: also, most consumer routers wont do wireless bridging but will do wired bridging. he needs to make sure his model does that or buy a cheap WAP for the project. because obviously his friends antenna will be set to transmit initially and his router will have to setup to bridge that transmission rather than transmit itself.

Last edited: