• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Data Recovery for Dead Hard drive heads

bcurko

Processor E2200
Motherboard DS3L-P35
Cooling Intel Stock
Memory 2GB Generic
Video Card(s) HIS 3650
Storage 160GB Seagate
Display(s) LG 19inch Widescreen
Case Cooler Master CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Generic 500w
Software Vista Home Premium
Hi TP,

I'm an australian who is seeking some advice regarding getting the data off my now non functioning 1TB WD Green Drive. The drive clicks and so it's been disconnected and from what I've read it's the heads or the motor definitely something mechanically wrong.

I was wondering who you guys would suggest? I've seen some prices for some data recovery agents in the US and they are a lot cheaper then Australia. I've been quoted up to $3400AUD where as the US data recovery places are half the price...

I'm all up for advice and recommendations from users dealing with data recovery companies. Also I'm not in any major hurry to get the drive repaired, i just want to get my data back.

The drive worked for 24 hours then i restarted my rig and the drive started clicking.. No idea what went wrong.

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
try the Hard Drive freezer trick.

but i guess your files are so important so you wont take the risk

System Name Zim
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling AMD Stock with heat pipes
Memory Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 2x 8GB Kit DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
Storage Western Digital WD RE4 1TB - Main
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200
Case COOLMAX CS-480
Audio Device(s) Intergrated VIA VT2021
Power Supply hec X-Power Pro 600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
I would see if WD offers data recovery services directly if the data is that important. I will also say shame on you for not backing up your data.

bcurko

Processor E2200
Motherboard DS3L-P35
Cooling Intel Stock
Memory 2GB Generic
Video Card(s) HIS 3650
Storage 160GB Seagate
Display(s) LG 19inch Widescreen
Case Cooler Master CM 690
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Generic 500w
Software Vista Home Premium
Ok firstly i did have a backup of data so don't assume anything that's just plain rude. The backup was wiped with the new format to become my OS Drive. I don't usually have drives that pass smart and work fine for the first 24 hours then die. The drive has been opened outside a clean room and by a mate of mine.. so WD won't touch it as warranty has been voided.

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
if the drive has been opened to the platers then I have my doubts of any recovery although anything is possible now days..depends how much you want to pay...usually it $2500.00+ for professional recovery.

System Name lumi
Processor Intel Core i5-3570
Motherboard MSI Z68A-G43 (B3)
Cooling Stock :O
Memory 16GB DDR3-12800 1600Mhz (4*4GB)
Video Card(s) nVidia 750 Ti
Storage 256GB SP900 (Linux)/Samsung 850 EVO (Win10) - 4x4TB Storage
Display(s) dual 24" Samsungs (1080)
Case Fractal Design Core 3000
Audio Device(s) Onboard :/
Power Supply 850 watt pretty green thing
Mouse Naga Trinity
Keyboard CM Quikfire TK (Red)
Software Ubuntu 18.04/Win10
Maybe i have trust issues. but why did i translate this topic?
it sounds like:
" i deleted something, how can i get it back? i had a backup, just i deleted it"
then, a more cynical kaneda thought it over and translated it as
" i have an old hdd which doesnt belong to me and i want to seem cool by retreiving all sorts of data from it"
then the inner tard came out " hidin n' recoverin loli"

Last edited:
System Name Zim
Processor AMD FX-6300
Motherboard GA-970A-UD3 (rev. 2.0)
Cooling AMD Stock with heat pipes
Memory Corsair CMV8GX3M2A1333C9 2x 8GB Kit DDR3 1333
Video Card(s) EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti FPB
Storage Western Digital WD RE4 1TB - Main
Display(s) HP LP2465 1920x1200
Case COOLMAX CS-480
Audio Device(s) Intergrated VIA VT2021
Power Supply hec X-Power Pro 600
Software Windows 7 Ultimate
Ok firstly i did have a backup of data so don't assume anything that's just plain rude. The backup was wiped with the new format to become my OS Drive. I don't usually have drives that pass smart and work fine for the first 24 hours then die. The drive has been opened outside a clean room and by a mate of mine.. so WD won't touch it as warranty has been voided.

Basically I was correct in assuming that you didn't have a backup because had you had one you wouldn't be looking for data recovery services in the first place (common sense man). Also now you say you had one and deleted it because you needed the drive for your OS. That being the case, you never intended to keep regular backups anyway (again, common sense interpretation).

Seagate has data recovery services and warranty has zero to do with it. You pay regardless, no manufacturer warranties data. Check with WD to see if they offer the service and for how much.

I wish you good luck geting your data back and hope you invest in another drive of the same capacity and back up your data regularly next time.

System Name MRCOMP!
Processor 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI Gaming Plus
Cooling Corsair 280 AIO
Memory 64GB 3600mhz
Video Card(s) GTX3060
Storage 1TB SSD
Display(s) Samsung Neo
Case No Case... just sitting on cardboard :D
Power Supply Antec 650w
Did you open it before or after it died?

if it was before, thats why it died. its likely dust and dirt got inside it and killed it.

that being said. its going to be expencive to recover data off it. best option is to call WD and see what they can provide you.

T

twilyth

I researched this for someone about a year ago. I trolled a couple of tech boards that dealt with the low level engineering of these HD's.

See, the real problem when you get that clicking noise is usually the controller board - the circuit board that's mounted right on the drive casing. 9 times out of 10, the mechanics are fine.

So if you could swap out the board, you could get the drive working again. I actually did this a couple times on the old Hitachi DeathStar drive. I had bought several of those and it turned out that a couple had matching 'microcode revision levels'. So I took the board from one, put it in another, got the data, and switched it back.

I even found a company that sold controller boards. I don't remember the name now though or even how I found them. It might have been a tech at Hitachi - not sure.

Apparently the MRL (???) has something to do with how the sectors are defined on the platters. As long as the drives have the same MRL, the boards are interchangeable.

What I found out about the WD drives is that each one is initialize individually and whatever tables are used for finding each sector is unique to each drive.

Now this is just a guess and something I didn't think to ask at the time, but if the information that is unique to the drive is on an eprom on the board, then you should be able to unsolder it and transplant it to another controller. But you'll have to do the leg work on that one.

It's also possible that WD doesn't do things that way any more. They probably do, but you never know.