• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Laptop or Console

Laptop or console

• laptop (gaming)

Votes: 21 70.0%
  • Console

Votes: 9 30.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Damian^

System Name Quad Damage
Processor AMD Phenom II x4 965
Motherboard MSI 785GM-E65
Cooling Thermaltake Contac 29
Memory DDR3 6gb 1533Mhz
Video Card(s) 9800gt (HD4200 for now)
Storage Seagate 250GB 7200RPM/Hitatchi 500GB
Display(s) Acer AL2216 22" (1680X1050)
Case Antec 300
Power Supply Corsair VX550W
Software Vista Home Premium 64bit
Hey guys im having a hard time deciding what i should get for my graduation present. It's either going to be a laptop or a console. Now it's just deciding what to get.

For startes; Why i want one of these devices.

Laptop:
College - I plan on majoring either in Journalism or something having to do with computers (maybe programming). having a laptop is a MAJOR asset for both of these subjects. The only setback here is that I will probably take my desktop with me to college. But still having a laptop will help me out during my classes.

The internet is my second home, so it's hard to be with out it, as nerdy as that sounds lol.

I like the idea of having a laptop because it gives me something to do on the road, or just having a mobile computer with me.

I also might get a gaming laptop, just for the fun of it. I like to attend LAN parties so if i do get a laptop i will probably get one that has a decent graphics card.

Console:
It's been a while since i have owned a console, I LOVED my PS2 when i would use it. Used it almost every day!

Exclusive console games. Sometimes i find myself really wanting to try out console games, mainly Red Dead Redemption, Gears of War, Killzone etc (Choosing between a PS3 and an XBOX 360 is something else, although if you want to suggest also what console i should get, go ahead:))

A console would also be nice to have in a dorm when i have no work, homework and just want to kill time.

Having a console will also give me an incentive to purchase an HDTV, and I am a big move person. So this goes hand in hand.

So what do you guys think. Should i get myself a laptop or a console. If you need any more details ask me.

-D

System Name Haz0
Processor i7-2700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Cooling Chicken Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripshits X 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5850
Storage Kingston 128GB SSD + WD Black 640GB + 2x 1.5TB
Display(s) 24" Acer G245HQ + 19" Lenovo L194
Case Antec NSK-4482 Orangified
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply Corsair TX750W
Software Windows 7: Electric Boogaloo
It definitely sounds like you'll get more practical use out of a laptop for college. I know that it's nice to have a gaming console but for either of those majors I think having a laptop to use in class would be a really good thing. If you're going to have your gaming desktop with you as well in college, I don't see much point in getting a gaming laptop. You'd probably be better off finding something that's very portable and durable, as well as fast. Plus, everyone knows that LAN's are more fun when you can show off your custom gaming rig there right? :p

Maybe put a poll in the thread?

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Gaming and laptop are two words that don't go together. You have a PC, game on that. Go console (PS3 would be my call for all the OTHER things it can do) or get a lightweight lappy for lugging around to classes. A "gaming laptop" would be heavy and a pain to lug around.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Laptop then you have the best of both worlds. PC when not busy and Laptop when you are :).

John Phoenix

Gaming and laptop are two words that don't go together. You have a PC, game on that. Go console (PS3 would be my call for all the OTHER things it can do) or get a lightweight lappy for lugging around to classes. A "gaming laptop" would be heavy and a pain to lug around.

Seriously, your joking right? Here is a post I made for another forum I will now share.

My laptop is Not a pain to lug around. I have a nice case for it, and they do have batteries. It is a standard size laptop that weighs 6 pounds.

~~~~~~~~~~
" 80 Great Games that run well on a Cheap Laptop

So you have always been told laptops aren't made for gaming.

I am going to prove that wrong. My laptop has a single core AMD processor and an ATI 4200 HD integrated graphics chip for video with 128 MB of dedicated ram, shared up tp 1 gigabyte. This is considered to be a weak graphics chip.

I do consider this rig a Gaming Laptop and I'll tell you why. It may not play all the newest games out there for 2009 and 2010 but there are Hundreds of Great games it will play.. and play nicely. The Xbox is considered a Gaming Console, but It won't play all the higher end games the Xbox 360 will play. Likewise, I can in good conscience think of my rig as a Gaming Laptop. Plus, many of these games are much better than what you can get for an XBox 360 or PS3. Great games plus more functionality in a portable unit. The laptop is truely King.

Most people buy better laptops than this one, and I say if I can have hours of gaming fun with my rig's specs, You can too!

Here is a list of my favorite games that all have good to great graphics that I can run on my cheap 350 dollar laptop. (Bought new this year)

All were tested on Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium with 4 gigabytes of DDR2 ram. All of these games should play well under Windows XP and Vista 32 and 64 bits.

All of the PC games that play on medium settings look at least as good as on a console, many times even better.

Shop around. many of today's laptops are upgradeable - even the graphics chip, but like me, a good laptop with a good processor and Ram proves you don't have to have the best graphics chip to play these games well.

(On many of these games I have added Enhancement Mods to make the games look feel and play better than the originals. If you Google search you can find these. If you don't own the game, sorry I can't help you. You will just have to find a place to purchase the game on your own. With a few exceptions)

1994 - 1999 - These are simply the oldest and best classics that really were the founders of modern gaming. These should run on any laptop that can run XP.

Non Graphical Text Adventure Games - I mention these because they are classic and will run on anything and are tons of fun and very challenging.
ZORK 1, 2 and 3 - 1990 -1993

Heck I love and play all of the Infocom text adventure games and they can all be found free on net due to defunct company. More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zork Get Them HERE: http://www.csd.uwo.ca/Infocom/ Even has a Mac version!

You can download tons of free text adventure games, ( called Interactive Fiction Games) from many places on the web, but I suggest you look at the Infocom Wikipedia page and The Interactive Fiction Archive. ( Infocom even has some great graphical adventures if you can find them)

Classic Shooters: ( All High Settings for these games)

Quake 1 Enhanced - 1996 - new textures and models
Heretic 1 - 1994 - Enhanced new textures and models
Hexen 2 - 1997

Redneck Rampage Collection - 1997 - ( 3 games)
Includes - Redneck Rampage, Redneck Rampage Rides Again: Arkansas and Redneck Rampage: Suckin' Grits on Route 66. Available at GOG.com for only 6 US Dollars. http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/red [...] collection

System Shock 2 - 1997 Enhanced - New textures and models
Half Life - 1998

Flight/Space Sim:

FreeSpace 1 The Great War - 1998
Freespace 2 - 1999

Non Classic Flight Sim:

HardWar: The Future is Greedy - 1998 + Mods and patches

More Info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardwar_(video_game)

This game can be legally downloaded from Captain Zedo's Hardwar site because the company is defunct and no one owns the rights to the game who is still in business. The dev team members even wrote and released patches for the game long after the company went under. Almost no one has heard of this game but it has a very strong cult following. Good graphics and plays well on anything. Get it HERE --> http://zedo.hardwar.org.uk/

Intro Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg34gunxLR4
Gameplay 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9jdw...eature=related
Gameplay 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp_b9...eature=related

2000 - 2003 - Now the graphics start to get a little better. (All High Settings for these games)

Shooters:

Kiss: Psycho Circus: The Nightmare Child - 2000 - Awesome KISS ( as in the Rock Band) adventure FPS with great KISS music! A real Cult Classic.
Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2 - 2000 - Another great game from the Metal genre. This time a 3rd person shooter.
Thief: The Dark Project - 1998
Thief: The Metal Age - 2000
Star Trek Deep Space 9 The Fallen - 2000
Deus Ex - 2001 - Enhanced with EBN Series and New Vision Mods + Other new model packs
Return to Castle Wolfe3nstein - 2001
Star Trek Elite Force 1 - 2000
Star Trek Elite Force 2 - 2002
Aliens VS Predator 2 : Primal Hunt - 2002
007 Nightfire - 2002
No One Lives Forever : The Operative - GOTY - 2000
No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy in H.A.R.M.S Way - 2002
Solider of Fortune 2 Double Helix - 2002
Splinter Cell - 2002
Star Wars Jedi Outcast - 2002
Star Wars Jedi Academy - 2003
Devastation - 2003
Max Payne - 2001
Max Payne 2 - 2003
Red Faction - 2001
Red Faction 2 - 2003
Iron Storm - 2002
Postal 2 Share The Pain + Mods and expansions - 2003
Tron 2.0 - 2003 - Epic Game!
Chaser - 2003
Halo - Combat Evovled - 2003

RPG's:

Arx Fatalis - 2002
Morrowind GOTY- 2002 - Enhanced New texture and models

Flight/Space Sim:

Tachyon: The Fringe - 2001 - Awesome humor from Bruce Campbell
Star Wars X-Wing Alliance 2001

Sports:

Virtual Pool 3

2004 - Present - For most of these the graphics really take off. These I play on medium settings some with a combo of low/medium settings - You just have to find your balance. I have very few games I need only low settings for ( Code of Honor 3 - it's worse than Crysis).

Shooters:

Deus Ex: Invisible War - 2004 - Medium Settings
Halo 2 - 2004 - Medium Settings
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow - 2004 - Medium
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory - 2005 Low - Medium

Half Life 2 - Episodes 1, 2 and 3 - 2004 - This engine really runs well on my card. I use medium to high settings. For all the eye candy it gives it doesn't seem to be that demanding on hardware.

Half Life 1 Source Enhanced - 1998/2004 - It's Half Life 1 on Half Life 2's Source engine with enhanced texture and model mods! I can use all high settings on this one.
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines 2004 - Uses Source engine - medium to high settings
Thief: Deadly Shadows - 2004 - Medium Settings
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - 2004 - Medium Settings
Far Cry - 2004- Medium Settings
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - 2004 - Medium Settings
Doom 3 - 2004 - Medium settings
Project Snowblind - 2005 - Medium Settings
Pariah - 2005 - Medium Settings
Prey - 2006 - Uses an enhanced Doom 3 engine - Medium Settings
Fallout 3 - Medium settings
Crysis - 2007 Medium settings
Crysis Warhead - 2007 Medium settings

People find it hard to believe that I can play Crysis on medium settings with smooth play. It has low system requirements for Direct X 9. "Intel Pentium 4 (2.8GHZ for XP ; 3.0GHZ for Vista) 1 GB RAM for XP ; 2 GB RAM for Vista. DirectX 9.0c Compatible Graphics card with 256 MB VRAM" If I do turn down some settings to Low they are; Shadows, Water, and Volumetric Effects Quality. You can hardly tell the difference and you have saved yourself loads of extra processing power. All other settings on medium. But I only have to do this if my PC has been running for a while. The game still looks Great for playing on a laptop.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl - 2007 - Medium settings
Alpha Prime - 2007- Medium settings
Turok - 2007 - Medium settings
Portal - 2007- Non Steam version - Medium to high settings
Code of Honor 3 - 2009 (Low settings)
Dark Salvation - 2009 - Uses the idTech 3 engine, so all High settings.
Hunting Unlimited 2010 - Actually I can run all the Hunting Unlimited games on high settings because they all use a very old engine. There are 7 games in the series but I only own 5 of them.

Singularity - 2010 Meduim settings

RPG's:

Gothic 3 - 2006 Enhanced with community patches, new textures and models. Medium settings.
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic - 2006 - Uses the Source Engine, but has textures with a little more detail. I can play on medium settings in this epic game.
Oblivion - 2006 - Medium settings.
Two Worlds - 2007 - Patched with community patches for bug fixes. Medium Settings.

Google Earth - Not a game but worth mentioning that it runs great.

There are tons more games that will play well on my cheap laptop, that I haven't added to the list yet. A bunch from 2010. There's a lot more that will work, but these are the ones I own that I have tested.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This laptop cost me 350.00 at Wal-Mart with 2 gigs of ram and I spend another 50 bucks for another 2 gig stick. If you can get at least as good as I have or even better, then you can't go wrong - Especially if your laptop can be upgraded - I'd rather spend $$$ upgrading my laptop then having to purchase a whole new console a couple of years later because you can get so much more out of a laptop than playing games. Take that sucker anywhere.. a Big Plus. Why let a console tie you down to only gaming at home?

You say, " Having a console will also give me an incentive to purchase an HDTV, and I am a big move person. So this goes hand in hand.
"
I watch high Def movies on my laptop. I actually get them off the net. It has a 16 inch wide screen display so it's not bad, But with a laptop you can still get a larger high def TV and play the movies through the laptop. You can even use the TV as your computer screen for playing games and watching online tv like You Tube and Hulu. ( you have to make sure it has the right connections when you buy the laptop)

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Get a DSLR instead, it will improve your fitness (carrying X kgs of gear up and down mountains) and you have an excuse to chat up that hot girl over the corner.

System Name Junkamatic
Processor i7
Motherboard Z77
Cooling Thermaltake
Memory Corsair
Video Card(s) Evga GTX770
Storage 4 Seagate Satas
Display(s) VW266H
Case Lian-Li A77B
Audio Device(s) on-board
Power Supply Corsair HX1000w
Software W7
Laptop has more uses and portability.

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
What Fourstaff said. But I'd get a laptop, install a PSX emulator and go :D

Processor Core i5 3570K
Motherboard AsRock z77 Pro4
Cooling Zalman CNPS10X Extreme
Memory 2x4GB GSkill Sniper
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970 Gaming
Storage 240GB OCZ ARC 100, Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Display(s) LG 23" 1920x1080
Case Antec P100
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec Edge 750W
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64
Seriously, your joking right? Here is a post I made for another forum I will now share.

My laptop is Not a pain to lug around. I have a nice case for it, and they do have batteries. It is a standard size laptop that weighs 6 pounds.

First off, it's you're. If you're going to make an argument and take a crack at me, don't look silly in the first sentence.

Secondly, for me, gaming doesn't mean 5-8 year old games at crippled settings so that the game doesn't run as a slideshow. Besides, how much gaming do you seriously do away from home? Do you regularly plop down at the library for a couple hours for a run at Half Life 1 or Doom 3? It could actually work against you since you have that as a possibility on your laptop instead of getting your work done.

Last edited:
Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
get an affordable laptop for laptop reasons and buy a console. This will probably be cheaper than a gaming laptop.

Yes there goes lan parties into the toilet but thats my recommendation.

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
One thing to remember. Decent gaming laptops cost UBER BUCKS!!!!!!!!!

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro
Cooling AiO 240mm
Memory 2x 32GB Kingston Fury Beast 3600MHz CL18
Video Card(s) Radeon RX 6900XT Reference (amd.com)
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeMusic + Gigaworks SB750 7.1 THX
Power Supply XFX 850W
Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
Software Windows 10 64bit
It depends on what kind of games you'll play.

But a ~1200$ 15-16" laptop will play new games for a lot longer than any current console.

Besides, laptops today use the exact same convenient connections to a large TV screen as consoles (HDMI, optical output) and you can even use the same controllers.
Plus, multi-platform games will look a lot better with a gaming laptop than a console, no doubt about that.

Console games are better prepared to play with friends, but a laptop you can take to lanparties..

If you're looking to play lots of fighting games, final fantasies and such, console is what you want.
FPSs, Strategy, MMORPG, simulators, and others, PC is what you want.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
get a cheap laptop and a console, gaming laptops with something decent are pretty expensive

I say that and I hate consoles, but in every right, they get the job done, parts for desktops are cheap now but laptops for gaming are just expensive unless you get a barebones laptop that supports mxm and find the mxm card cheap somewhere but that opens up the compatibility worm.

System Name Ultra 64
Processor NEC VR4300 (MIPS R4300i)
Motherboard proprietary design
Cooling Fanless aircooled
Memory 4.5MB 250 MHz RDRAM
Video Card(s) 62.5 MHz Reality Coprocessor
Storage 32 - 512 Mbit ROM Cartridge
Display(s) 720x576
Case Clear Blue Funtastic
Audio Device(s) 16-bit CD quality
Power Supply proprietary design
Mouse N64 mouse for use with N64DD
Keyboard N64 keyboard for use with N64DD
maybe not a huge gaming laptop but not a crappy little net book either, not good what so ever for fast typing tried to use my gf's one. Im at uni and the lack of laptop realy is a kick in the but it would be so much with just writing notes and being able to nip on the net to find something to help go with my notes. Plus you have a rather nice rig there thats perfectly capable of gaming, if you prefer console gaming theres many games that will use a controller.

just my opinion

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling AiO 240mm
Storage O.S.: 256GB SATA | 2x 1TB SanDisk SSD SATA Data | Games: 1TB Samsung 970 Evo
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Power Supply XFX 850W
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
get a cheap laptop and a console, gaming laptops with something decent are pretty expensive

I disagree.

A $800/700€ laptop with a Mobility HD5650 + Core i5 plays pretty much any game with better graphics than its console counterpart.

Plus, there'll be all those laptops with 4-core AMD CPUs which should come at some very competitive prices.

System Name Illidan
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro V2
Cooling Scythe Mugen 4
Memory G.Skill Trident Z 32GB DDR4 3000MHz 14CL
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
Storage Crucial P1 1TB + Sandisk Ultra II 960GB + Samsung EVO Plus 970 2TB + F3 1TB + Toshiba X300 4TB
Display(s) Iiyama G-MASTER G4380UHSU-B1
Case Corsair 750D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Sony WH1000-XM4
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850
Mouse Logitech G604
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
I also agree on getting the console and buy a cheap laptop; with the xbox 360 slim, it seems current console are here to stay a tad longer, and when you had enough with your cheap laptop, you can just buy a new cheap laptop and sell the old one.

System Name Vintage
Processor i7 - 3770K @ Stock
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Memory 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Storage M4 124GB SSD// WD Black 640GB// WD Black 1TB//Samsung F3 1.5TB
Display(s) Samsung SM223BW 21.6"
Case Generic
Power Supply Corsair HX 520W
Software Windows 7
Get a console. I took my laptop AND desktop to Uni, and I NEVER used the laptop. The only thing you need in a lecture is a pen and paper. You can write quicker than you type and uses less concentration.
Get a console, if you want the gaming experience then XBOX360, if you want the exclusives get the PS3. HOWEVER the PS3 will be more expensive on individual games.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950x, Ryzen 9 5980HX
Motherboard MSI X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4(With Noctua Fans)
Memory 32Gb Crucial 3600 Ballistix
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 3080, Asus 6800M
Storage Adata SX8200 1TB NVME/WD Black 1TB NVME
Display(s) Dell 27 Inch 165Hz
Case Phanteks P500A
Audio Device(s) IFI Zen Dac/JDS Labs Atom+/SMSL Amp+Rivers Audio
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G502 SE Hero
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Mk.2
VR HMD Samsung Odyssey Plus
Software Windows 10
core I5 is a good cpu but the mobility HD5650 is about on par with the HD5550(GDDR3) desktop version, you can game on it but at the res that alot of laptops come with now which is about 1600x900/1680x1050+ your going to be playing on medium or lower most of the time, and alot of console games are about as good as medium settings in my opinion.

its the problem with laptops you can find a laptop with a good cpu but finding one with a good paired gpu at a reasonable price for a laptop thats reliable is hard, unless you buy a mxm laptop used.

for that 800 bucks he could get a decent laptop for movies and working on papers and a 360 and still have money left over

Last edited:
System Name Haz0
Processor i7-2700K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
Cooling Chicken Stock
Memory 16GB G.Skill Ripshits X 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Sapphire 5850
Storage Kingston 128GB SSD + WD Black 640GB + 2x 1.5TB
Display(s) 24" Acer G245HQ + 19" Lenovo L194
Case Antec NSK-4482 Orangified
Audio Device(s) X-Fi XtremeGamer
Power Supply Corsair TX750W
Software Windows 7: Electric Boogaloo
HOWEVER the PS3 will be more expensive on individual games.

I don't see how people can say that anymore. Both consoles launch their full retail games at $60 and used game prices deteriorate at about the same rate. It was only at the PS3's launch that this was true, but now that there are plenty of games for it this is no longer the case.

My new recommendation: Get a lightweight, thin, durable, good-typing laptop that's pretty fast and put Ubuntu or any other good Linux distro on it to keep you focused. Unless you're the kind of guy who can focus with a lot of distractions. Personally, I feel like I'm in a work-orientated bubble while running Ubuntu, and that makes it really easy for me to focus on getting work done. Then, since you didn't spend all your dough on a "gaming laptop" you can get a PS3 Slim :D If you've got a good PC, it isn't worth it to get an Xbox as they basically have the same games and the 360 exclusives are not worth it (IMO of course).

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
Why the hell are you even considering a laptop?!?! If you're taking your desktop in your specs, although it doesn't say what graphics card you have I bet it's going to play a lot of recent games.

I can GUARANTEE that you wont use your laptop in lectures. It's absolutely not at all worth getting. If you want to work in uni, get a decent USB-pendrive.

Hell I wouldn't even get the desktop, ask for some new speakers/headphones to listen to music whilst you work or something.

Processor Ryzen 9 5900X
Cooling AiO 240mm
Display(s) LG 34" UWQHD
Power Supply XFX 850W
VR HMD Lenovo Explorer
core I5 is a good cpu but the mobility HD5650 is about on par with the HD5550(GDDR3) desktop version, you can game on it but at the res that alot of laptops come with now which is about 1600x900/1680x1050+ your going to be playing on medium or lower most of the time, and alot of console games are about as good as medium settings in my opinion.

Pretty much all the medium range laptops come with 1366*768, which the Mobility HD5650 can handle well enough.

Why the hell are you even considering a laptop?!?! If you're taking your desktop in your specs, although it doesn't say what graphics card you have I bet it's going to play a lot of recent games.

Yes, it does. See it's a 785G motherboard? I'd say he's using the HD4200 in it.

I can GUARANTEE that you wont use your laptop in lectures. It's absolutely not at all worth getting. If you want to work in uni, get a decent USB-pendrive.

Not for lessons, but having a laptop is absolutely essential for group assignemts. People meet up in some place and everyone brings their own laptop.
He won't be able to do that with a desktop and a console.

System Name Vintage
Cooling Scythe Zipang II
Video Card(s) MSI GTX970
Case Generic
Software Windows 7
Yes, it does. See it's a 785G motherboard? I'd say he's using the HD4200 in it.

<space>
Not for lessons, but having a laptop is absolutely essential for group assignemts. People meet up in some place and everyone brings their own laptop.
He won't be able to do that with a desktop and a console.

Ah yea, missed that on the cursory glance.

Still think a Laptop is a waste of money. If he is doing group stuff on it then a cheap little netbook would be more than capable. Go for the one with the longest battery life. Finding a socket to plug it in can be a PITA.

Whenever I did group stuff I always only took a pen and notebook with me. I don't even know what kind of group work would involve EVERY member of the group having a laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.