• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

System Crashed, Now wont POST

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Processor AMD FX 8350 @ 4.4
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Koolance 12038HBK-184 Fans
Memory 16 gig corsair ddr3 @ 1600
Video Card(s) Gigabyte HD 7970GHZ
Storage Sandisk SSD extreme 240G, 2 x 3T Hitachi, Kingston SSD 128G
Display(s) ASUS 24"
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Audio Device(s) ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Power Supply 1000 Watt Seasonic Platinum
Software windows8 x64 Pro Edition
Hi, my pc crashed yesterday for some random reason!!!
I was in the middle of a game when all of a sudden it went kaput, and died.
It then went to try booting itself again and wouldnt, surprise surprise!?!?!?!
So i had a fiddle around, thinking my graphics card might have crapped itself, so i grabbed my trusty old 3870, banged it in and bingo, she booted, for about 5 mins, then it randomly crashed again, and rebooted itself, with a few minor tweaks to the bios from me in reguards to minor voltage increases to ram etc to get them running at the rated factory settings, nothing serious. It should be noted however that my system was running just about everything overclocked before hand with everything tweaked up a little bit to keep up.

However, thinking i had isolated the problem to my graphics card, i thought mabye as the card was overclocked via the gpu bios, i would simply run it in slot 2 behind the spare, and return it to normal bios with the wonderful RBE bios editor, however this didnt turn out as i had planned. the computer booted fine with both cards running, loaded RBE and looked around, interestingly i could see the 3870, however i couldnt see my pressumably busted 4890 sitting in slot 2. It should be noted that i had this issue once before when i was tweaking my 4890 bios, and i fixed it by reflashing the native bios back onto it and it ran fine.

So, i tried different configurations, i even pinched my lovely ladies gpu, which is the same as mine to see if i could figure out what was going on, however i still couldnt see my busted card on RBE. So i figured id just leave the pc running with the 3870 until i could pick up a new graphics card, this would have been great untill last night, i went to turn on my pc and low and behold, my computer wouldnt even post, it simply turns on, lights come on, hdd's start spinning, cds cranking, my cooling comes on, all that jazz. But NO BEEP, no beeps of any kind at all.
So after looking around, tinkering with things to see what i can figure out, this is what i found/tried already, unpluged all the hdds except the boot one to see if that was the problem, no boot, tried removing all the ram, and booting with 1 stick known to be working in all the slots, no boot, unplugged all non essential things and tried booting, no boot.

I am leaning towards something being wrong with the power delivery to the cpu and or the motherboard. I have a nifty little power monitor in my case, and normally when i boot it comes on and uses about 230ish watts on post, then wizzes up to 300 or so on OS loading, however now its sitting at around the 110watts, leading me to think that the 130ish watts my cpu likes to eat for breakfast is missing, as i can unplug hdds and things and watch the minute drops in wattage, hence my reason to think that something around the mobo giving the cpu power mabye.
I also reset cmos, removed battery thingo, will reseat cpu tomorrow, but im doubtful its that, as the cpu is prettymuch bolted onto motherboard. Also tried telling computer how much i loved it, and how beautiful it was, didnt work.....thought it was worth a try

ANY hints, idead and things to test would be Greatly Appreciated.
Oh i am going to test the cpu in another computer tomorrow, to eliminate that issue, so thats got that covered, however anything else anyone can think of would be great!!!!!!!

Last edited:

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Display(s) ASUS 24"
Just realised something else, for whatever the reason when i power on my pc, with the backup graphics card, if i put it in slot one it starts the fan and starts to warm up, yet when its in slot 2, nothing happens with it, so im thinking that there is quite likley a problem with the motherboard.

System Name If you name your systems, get a boy/girlfriend...
Processor i7 4770k
Motherboard Asus Maximus VI Formula
Cooling Custom waterloop around Black Ice GTX 360
Memory 16GB DDR3
Video Card(s) GTX 1080 FE
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 1TB
Case HAF 932
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750
Software Windows 10 x64
'Pinch' your lovely lady's PSU and test with your PC.
If it's not PSU, then your mobo's mosfets/caps probably fell on their asses...

Either way. Seems like a power delivery problem.

Cheers,

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Cheers,

ya your thermaltake could have freaked out and took something down with it LOL. also could be your motherboard finally giving out? i would do trial and error with your "lady's" parts and see if you can isolate the problem. (a word of warning tho, whatever took your stuff down might take hers so be careful)

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Display(s) ASUS 24"

Cheers,

Hmmm, hadnt thought of that one, but thanks i will tomorrow when she goes to work, otherwise she'll crack the shits as it'll intrude on her precious gaming time:p

Is that a common occurence for the mosfets/caps etc to crap themselves after only a year??? and on my mobo, from what i gathered on it its a pretty quality board, thats why i picked it when i built the pc.

brandonwh64

Hmmm, hadnt thought of that one, but thanks i will tomorrow when she goes to work, otherwise she'll crack the shits as it'll intrude on her precious gaming time:p

Is that a common occurence for the mosfets/caps etc to crap themselves after only a year??? and on my mobo, from what i gathered on it its a pretty quality board, thats why i picked it when i built the pc.

no its not common for a high-end board to do that but ya never know. take a bright flashlight and inspect the board very close. IF you see anything that doesn't look right like burnt places or something that's coming off then i would suggest RMA the board for repair

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Display(s) ASUS 24"
I have another powersupply which i might try the pc with, just to make sure i dont hurt the precious, but another thing just occured to me, as i suspect the initial problem was caused either by or around the graphics card, i just put my 4890 back in, turned it on, my fan goes to full rpm as normal if it was booting, but then stays there, however i hear a slight ticking sound, as if its sparking to the case or mobo, cant see anything, and the backup card doesnt make this sound, only the 4890, and it even does this without the fan plugged in. Weird

brandonwh64

I have another powersupply which i might try the pc with, just to make sure i dont hurt the precious, but another thing just occured to me, as i suspect the initial problem was caused either by or around the graphics card, i just put my 4890 back in, turned it on, my fan goes to full rpm as normal if it was booting, but then stays there, however i hear a slight ticking sound, as if its sparking to the case or mobo, cant see anything, and the backup card doesnt make this sound, only the 4890, and it even does this without the fan plugged in. Weird

OK then if thats the case i would take everything out of the case and lay the motherboard onto a box of some sort were its not going to ground out, then try it with the bare parts like a GPU/CPU/1 stick of ram and see if it boots. if it does then you have a problem with your case.

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Display(s) ASUS 24"
no its not common for a high-end board to do that but ya never know. take a bright flashlight and inspect the board very close. IF you see anything that doesn't look right like burnt places or something that's coming off then i would suggest RMA the board for repair

no burn marks or not right looking stuff anywhere on the front i can see. im testing the alternate PSU now, so i'll see how that goes. I dont suppose with all the pushing and OC'ing ive done on the board that the warrenty would cover it, unless they cant tell with mobo???

brandonwh64

no burn marks or not right looking stuff anywhere on the front i can see. im testing the alternate PSU now, so i'll see how that goes. I dont suppose with all the pushing and OC'ing ive done on the board that the warrenty would cover it, unless they cant tell with mobo???

The warranty doesn't cover physical damaged parts but if they cannot tell you OCed it then it should be a problem.

I would RMA the board if you find out its the culprit

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Display(s) ASUS 24"
OK then if thats the case i would take everything out of the case and lay the motherboard onto a box of some sort were its not going to ground out, then try it with the bare parts like a GPU/CPU/1 stick of ram and see if it boots. if it does then you have a problem with your case.

OH NOOOOOOOOO... i had a horrible feeling someone would tell me to do that, thats an all day ordeal with all the crap i gotta unmount, unplg and unscrew. Oh well, i guess i gotta lot of things to do tomorrow and think about then.

I think i'll give it a rest for tonight on the testing things, and try again tomorrow. If i spot something on the back of the mobo like a burn or something weird im assuming that it means my mobo is crapped itself, so if thats the case, i guess its pretty easy. I'll doublt check theres nothing wrong with the cpu and gpu and ram again tomorrow on the lady's pc, as they are exactly the same. Yea, we love our fast pcs in this house. i'll also check my psu, might take it round the corner to the shop for them to have a look at it so it doesnt blow anything else of mine up, just to be sure, and safe.
Anyhow, thanks for the rapid replys, any more ideas etc are greatly appreciated. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Also, just remembered, if it does boot while outta the case, how do i go about fixing the case problem??? as its a pretty intense case n i dont really wanna have to fork out another 250 for a case

brandonwh64

OH NOOOOOOOOO... i had a horrible feeling someone would tell me to do that, thats an all day ordeal with all the crap i gotta unmount, unplg and unscrew. Oh well, i guess i gotta lot of things to do tomorrow and think about then.

I think i'll give it a rest for tonight on the testing things, and try again tomorrow. If i spot something on the back of the mobo like a burn or something weird im assuming that it means my mobo is crapped itself, so if thats the case, i guess its pretty easy. I'll doublt check theres nothing wrong with the cpu and gpu and ram again tomorrow on the lady's pc, as they are exactly the same. Yea, we love our fast pcs in this house. i'll also check my psu, might take it round the corner to the shop for them to have a look at it so it doesnt blow anything else of mine up, just to be sure, and safe.
Anyhow, thanks for the rapid replys, any more ideas etc are greatly appreciated. I'll post my findings tomorrow.

Also, just remembered, if it does boot while outta the case, how do i go about fixing the case problem??? as its a pretty intense case n i dont really wanna have to fork out another 250 for a case

Check the standoffs and make sure there in the right places. i have seen many people put a standoff were there wasn't a hold and it ground to the back of the motherboard cause chaos!

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Display(s) ASUS 24"
Check the standoffs and make sure there in the right places. i have seen many people put a standoff were there wasn't a hold and it ground to the back of the motherboard cause chaos!

Pretty sure they are in the right place, i learned that the hard way when i built my first pc years ago, but i'll double check just to be sure!

bonzai_cyberninja

System Name Nautilus
Display(s) ASUS 24"
Hmmm, well i took the computer apart and inspected it for obvious signs of damage, none that i can see on any of the hardware, the cpu and ram appear to be woring fine, as i tested them in another pc, and they work flawlessly. Graphics card is getting tested today, dont know about the mobo yet, gonna rig it to another power supply and see how it goes.

Im just wondering if it could be the power supply??? is it possible for it to provide enough power to make lights come on and things to spin but not have enough oomph to actually make the pc boot??? I am kind of hoping that mabye it is the supply, thats a lot easir and cheaper to replace than most of the other parts!