• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

nV News Reviews the EVGA Geforce GTX 460 Superclocked

ragejg

I thought you guys might like to see this; I got it published on launch day, albeit just barely.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=152967

FWIW it's probably one of the only reviews that uses uses an AMD instead of superfast/expensive Intel setup. Not that that makes it better, but I thought it fitting to review a performance segment video card in a performance segment motherboard/CPU setup. Yes I fully understand the concept of CPU limitation, but I don't agree with using $300 CPUs and $200 motherboards with $200 graphics cards.

I was kinda blown away by how strong the little bugger felt vs. the GTX 465 and HD 5830. That coupled with its quietness and coolness makes it in my opinion a great buy.

I had made a thread here and at NV News, [H] and rage3d asking folks what their needs/wants were regarding GF104. I was actually able to use the data I collected in the review... So thanks, techpowerup, for contributing.

Last edited:
System Name 4k
Processor AMD 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MAG b550m Mortar Wifi
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 4x8Gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 CL16 bl8g36c16u4b.m8fe1
Video Card(s) Nvidia Reference 3080Ti
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) LG 48" C1
Case CORSAIR Carbide AIR 240 Micro-ATX
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar STX
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 650W
Software Microsoft Windows10 Pro x64
I like the fact that they used a CPU that wasnt the greatest and actually gave about avg to mid range gamer performance comparisons.

ragejg

I like the fact that they used a CPU that wasnt the greatest and actually gave about avg to mid range gamer performance comparisons.

I would have used my x3 @ x4 rig instead, but the x3 rig had an install on it that was in great shape with pretty much all of my games installed already. Besides, the x3 @ 3.6 ghz just about matches the x3 @ x4 @ 3.1 anyway.

ragejg

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2286741#post2286741

ragejg said:
After getting some constructive criticism at some other hardware communities, I have decided to re-run the HD 5830 benchmarks to create a more apples-to-apples comparison with regards to texture filtering and optimizations. Apparently you can't turn off NV's driver-level optimizations, and when I did the review I turned Catalyst AI off of the ATI card.

I'm re-running the ATI benchmarks with Catalyst AI on Standard, with the texture filtering set the same as NV's: @ Quality, not High Quality.

I will amend the review when I have all the data in. Early results show the HD 5830 catching up to the NV cards in pretty much everything except applications using tessellation.

Last edited: