• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Planning Project: OSIDIAS (SFF taken to the extreme)

jrgerryd

Lol said:
huge[/I] check for me to even make one of these for money. How do you put a price tag on a year of planning? :D

yeah, i know. i envy you guys who have awesome pc's! how i wish i could have some of what you all have!:respect:

craigbru

Okay guys, I had to make a little time for something unrelated to carbon fiber. It also has nothing to do with actual modding. What follows is just an example of why I've said that the planning for the case is only about 95% finished. Little things like this are always changing and being added. I live for the little details that some take for granted.

So, what we have here is an integrated heatsink for the water pump. It also doubles as a vibration proof mount for the pump via grommets. Once in place, air from the radiator fans will help with the cooling.

This heatsink will make it's way to my CNC machine in the future. You can also see that I've changed the interior parts over to carbon fiber. Creative mold making will be coming!

craigbru

For anyone that has been following the project details closely, you'll have noticed I've got quite a few holes that need to be cut in the exterior of the case. Since I tend to try for perfect execution, I needed a very reliable and accurate method of marking those holes out on the case. I used the following method on the Rogue with great success, and will continue it here.

This is a transparent adhesive sheet used for printing labels. It's simply a matter of printing out the guidelines, which is made even easier since the entire project was designed in CAD. If you look closely, you can see an additional guideline extending to the left and right on the lower part of the design. This will help in placement.

Next was the matter of proper alignment on the case. While it's pretty easy to place the sheet, I triple checked the measurements since they had to be perfect.

With the adhesive label in place, it was time to add my masking tape guide lines.

Time to break out the Dremel! I had to take it slow and steady here. You can't exactly fix any miscuts or slips... Even so, I managed to make quick work of the carbon fiber, and was soon left with a rough cut.

After some filing, and sanding, I was left with the finished hole! My patience paid off, and I was left with a hole that was visually perfect to me. Now I've only got about 6 more to go.

craigbru

I did stream live last night guys. How's that for brave? If I screwed up, I couldn't hide it. :D The 3 newest video's were recorded July 14th and 15th. You can see me cutting the holes out in the carbon fiber. There were only a couple times I had any real binding with the Dremel disk, but a firm grip helps keep things under control.

http://www.livestream.com/losiastechnologies

I've only got a few pics here, as the process for each hole doesn't change. Mark, cut, sand. It's progress though!

In this pic I had already cut the second hole in the case. You can see video of that on the livestream link above. I've also got the hole marked out for the Aquaero.

After cutting, I was left with another pair of holes. Now only 4 more to go!

System Name Acer Aspire V3-771G-53218G75Maii
Processor Core i5 3210M (2,5-3,1Ghz)
Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
Video Card(s) Geforce GT650M
Storage Samsung 830 256GB - 750GB Toshiba drive
Software Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (non-acer-bloatware)
I wonder if there is anyone actually not liking this?

King Wookie

System Name Blackbox
Processor Intel i5 750 @ stock for now
Motherboard EVGA P55 LE
Cooling Corsair H50 with 2 x Zalman ZM-F3 push/pull
Memory 2 x 2g team extreem DDR3 2000
Video Card(s) Asus GTX 460 Top
Storage Seagate 500.12, Seagate 320.11
Display(s) BenQ FP222W - 22 inches
Case CM 590 with 5x various fans (Thermalright/Noctua)
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX620
Software XP home SP3
I wonder if there is anyone actually not liking this?

If they do, they are on the wrong forums. Or have zero imagination.

HammerON

The Watchful Moderator
Staff member
System Name Threadripper
Processor 3960X
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix TRX40-XE
Cooling XSPC Raystorm Neo (sTR4) Water Block
Memory G. Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB 3600
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4090
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB + WD Black SN850 1TB
Display(s) Dell 32" Curved Gaming Monitor (S3220DGF)
Case Corsair 5000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G5
Mouse Roccat Kone Pure
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Always changing~
I did stream live last night guys. How's that for brave? If I screwed up, I couldn't hide it. :D The 3 newest video's were recorded July 14th and 15th. You can see me cutting the holes out in the carbon fiber. There were only a couple times I had any real binding with the Dremel disk, but a firm grip helps keep things under control.

I've only got a few pics here, as the process for each hole doesn't change. Mark, cut, sand. It's progress though!

In this pic I had already cut the second hole in the case. You can see video of that on the livestream link above. I've also got the hole marked out for the Aquaero.

http://losias.net/projects/osidias/pictures/p7150354.jpg

After cutting, I was left with another pair of holes. Now only 4 more to go!

http://losias.net/projects/osidias/pictures/p7150355.jpg

http://losias.net/projects/osidias/pictures/p7150356.jpg

Nice work on those cuts:toast:

craigbru

Thanks guys! I aim to please!

Well, I made a few more holes tonight. I was also streaming live again, so be sure to check out the Livestream for the newest videos. (Be sure your volume is turned down a little, as the mic seems to be working a little too well...)

So, let's get this started! Here you can see the freshly cut hole for trio of 60mm fans that will sit over the video cards. This makes for 4 holes done, only 3 to go!

At this point I decided to clear up a question or two regarding this case's strength. I was trying to think of a good way to convey how strong the carbon fiber really is. You can see with the holes cut out, there really isn't a large amount of supporting material left in the lower part of the case. Well, I'm telling you that it doesn't matter in the least. Here you can see my daughters full 103 pounds being supported by the case. There's nary a flex! I can guarantee that aluminum would not have fared so well...

With the case still in one piece, it was time to get back to cutting. For those that were following the planning thread, you'll remember that the windows on the side panels will actually be transparent LCD's. In order to get them to fit correctly, I've got to get a hole put in each side of the case for the circuit board. Here I've got the hole all marked out.

The rough cut done!

I'll have more in the coming days, so until then!

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition
ha, great update bro. I haven't been following this log as much as i wanted to so I've been missing out a bit. Def. glad you switched over to the Carbon Fiber, thing seems strong!

craigbru

ha, great update bro. I haven't been following this log as much as i wanted to so I've been missing out a bit. Def. glad you switched over to the Carbon Fiber, thing seems strong!

Thanks man! I appreciate it. I've been very happy with the CF. It's beyond strong, relatively easy to work with (once solid), and it has killer cosmetics.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E Hero
Cooling EK FLT 240 DDC, x2 Black Ice Nemesis 360GTX, x1 EK-Quantum Surface P240, Phanteks D30-120 fans x9
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series (AMD Expo) DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s CL30
Video Card(s) ZOTAC Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 AMP Extreme AIRO
Storage Samsung Pro 980 2TB NVMe (OS and Games) // WD Black 10TB HDD (Storage)
Display(s) Samsung 49" Ultrawide Gaming Monitor
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply ASUS Rog Thor 1200 Certified 1200W
Software Windows 11 64 Bit Home Edition
Thanks man! I appreciate it. I've been very happy with the CF. It's beyond strong, relatively easy to work with (once solid), and it has killer cosmetics.

Yeah, I think if Carbon Fiber is used correctly it looks great. What I mean by used correctly is not over used and stuff like that. Keep up the great work, doing my best to follow every thread man :laugh: It's difficult. Putting in about 85-90 posts between TPU and OCN daily. That's actually a bit, I have days alone where I put in 70-80 posts on TPU, mainly that happens on a weekend I decide to stay home or a day I stay home from work or what not. But yeah man, forums get crazy, trying my best to be on top of everything. I tell ya, not easy!

Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
That fiber ain't strong, she's lost weight!

craigbru

Yeah, I think if Carbon Fiber is used correctly it looks great. What I mean by used correctly is not over used and stuff like that. Keep up the great work, doing my best to follow every thread man :laugh: It's difficult. Putting in about 85-90 posts between TPU and OCN daily. That's actually a bit, I have days alone where I put in 70-80 posts on TPU, mainly that happens on a weekend I decide to stay home or a day I stay home from work or what not. But yeah man, forums get crazy, trying my best to be on top of everything. I tell ya, not easy!

Damn, you're a busy guy! I get maybe 20 to 30 posts in a day, but that's across about 8 forums. Sometimes I feel bad that I don't give some of those forums enough attention. There's only so much time in the day, but I try!

That fiber ain't strong, she's lost weight!

Lol, heck, even if she weighed half as much, I'd still say it's plenty strong! ;)

craigbru

Okay guys, I'm looking to live stream some work tonight. It will most likely be between 8~11pm central standard time. You can catch the stream at either of the following two links. One is on my site, the other is on the Livestream site. Either will be the same, and commenting during the stream is easy, although I won't likely respond to much until I'm done working.

http://losias.net/losias-live/

Since I do things on the fly, I usually record in segments. It keeps the filler and wasted screen time to a minimum. Also, no one really wants to sit down and watch a 2 hour video. I try to keep most under 30 minutes.

So, you can feel free to check either link at your convenience. Also, one of the easiest ways to see when I'm streaming is to follow my twitter feed. It's @craigbru'. I usually send a message when I'm about to go live.

Tonight I plan on finishing up the rest of my case holes!

craigbru

I got about 2 hours worth of streaming in last night guys. Unfortunately I've got no still pictures of my progress. I did manage to get the other hole for the LCD circuit board done, as well as the hole in the top of the case. I've got one more hole to put in the left side for the PSU, and then a small hole in the bottom of the case for ventilation on the pico-itx board that will be located there.

http://livestre.am/glpt

http://livestre.am/gl6b

http://livestre.am/gkTY

craigbru

Someone at XS asked me for an overview of how the wireless networking and control was set up in this machine. Since I took the time to answer him there, I thought I'd post it here as well for those that might be interested.

Okay, here's a brief overview of the wireless networking and monitoring setup. It's sometimes a little hard to wrap your head around, but I'll try and give a clear explanation.

I've basically got 3 complete computer systems in this case. I've got the main system consisting of the Asus matx board and associated components. Then I've got a Via pico-itx system acting as an always-on file server, and information monitor. Finally, I've got the Viliv UMPC that sits on the front of the case. These 3 systems are connected by both an internal ethernet hub, and an Asus wireless access point. The wireless network is used for information sharing and control by the Viliv. The Viliv is obviously a wireless only connection, but the other systems can connect either wired or wireless, and be independent of any other system.

Since the pico is always on, it serves to relay most of the system information. It will be attached to an Aquaero and Multiswitch, which in turn is responsible for all watercooling, temp sensors, and lighting. It will also allow me to turn the main system on and off through the Viliv. All the information I need on the Viliv will be relayed using a Samurize front end. Samurize's own network monitoring functionality, as well as the Aquaero software will allow for real time monitoring of the pico and main system functions. Now, of course since the Viliv is wireless, and always connected to the OSIDIAS network, I can just detach it from the case and use it as a remote.

Does that help explain things a little? Feel free to ask if it doesn't.

craigbru

Thanks to inspiration from Javi, dbradford, and w33dy at the Mod Brothers forums, I've done a little something to help with my dust collection. I really needed a third hand when cutting on the workbench, and with none in sight, I came up with a great alternative. I modded an old architect lamp!

I couple of velcro straps, and the vac hose was attached to end of the arm. After using it for a few cuts, I've got to say that it's quite effective for a low tech solution. I'm guessing it's catching at least 75% of the dust caused by cutting.

So, with a decent dust collection solution in place, it was time to put it to use. I was streaming live during a portion of this, so I'm missing a few pics. With most of the side holes done, it was time to move to the top. Here is what it looked like after cutting.

Now it's time to move back the side. The last hole I need to cut is where the PSU will sit. Here is the hole all marked out. (Live Stream)

All cut! (Live Stream)

And finally a test fit with a PSU in place.

craigbru

awesome project! cant wait for full finished product.:toast:

Thanks man!

How much did all the carbon fiber cost you? Looks reall good so far

The CF cost so far is probably about $120. That in itself isn't horrible. However, you have to add the cost of the resin ($20), the cost of the aluminum and mdf for the molds ($40), and the cost of the rollers to apply the resin since they are all single use ($20). It can add up, but the strength and cosmetics are worth it.

System Name Ivy Biatch
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard ASSRockzz z77TOTHEEXTREME!!!!
Cooling bleh
Memory 2x4gb crucial 1866
Video Card(s) HD7770, yes it does BF3
Storage 120gb Vertex
Display(s) 226BW
Case whats that, oh my table
Audio Device(s) stock onboard thing
Power Supply HX850W
Software 7
holy f@ckshit :eek:

i just came in teh panties

this is awzumness skillz and teh works

MOAR MOAR MOAR MOAR :D

Processor AMD 3700X
Motherboard MSI P55-GD80
Cooling Fractal Design Celsius S24
Memory 2x16gb Crucial e-die 3000MHZ
Video Card(s) MSI 3070 Trio
Display(s) Lenovo G27Q-20
Case Phantec P400
Audio Device(s) GSP370
Power Supply EVGA G3 750W
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Pro
VR HMD Rift
Loving it, this is special seeing it come to life.

craigbru

Loving it, this is special seeing it come to life.

Thanks mate!

Update time! Today we pick up with the start of the interior assembly. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I've decided to make the entire thing out of a single piece of molded carbon fiber. Since the dimensions have to be perfect, I am going to be using a two part mold. An inner and outer layer, with the CF sandwiched in between. In order to pull this off, I've got to do some very careful measurements, and even better cutting.

I'll be using 1.5mm aluminum for the molds. Here you can see a 4' piece marked down the center. I should be able to get both an inner and outer mold out of this 2'x4' sheet.

Next up I've got to mark out all my cut and bend lines. There is no room for error here. Everything is down to the millimeter.

After the rough cuts were made...

After spending a maddening long time with the aluminum in my metal brake, I was left with the following. Mind you this was a little tricky, since it didn't exactly fit in there very well after the first few bends...

Now it was time to stick it inside the case for a test fit. I had no doubt everything would line up, but it's always a good idea to double check.

Next up is the outer mold. Once that is completed, I'll rub down the aluminum with release wax, and play with a little more carbon fiber. Woohoo!

Also, as of this morning, I've learned that OSIDIAS was nominated for bit-tech mod of the month! I'm honored!

http://www.bit-tech.net/modding/mod-of-the-month/2010/08/06/mod-of-the-month-july-2010/1

Memory 8GB DDR3 SODIMM
I like were this is going: way the fuck beyond my imagination and budget :D