• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Change shell on MAC OS X

Tmonkey

I see that the MAC I'm working on is running the bash shell when I open a terminal window. I have 2 questions regarding this -

1. Can I change the shell my terminals spawned under MAC OS X run in from bash to ksh?
2. If yes, how do I change my shell from ksh to bash?

MTIA (Many Thanks in Advance)

The Test Monkey

Wrigleyvillain

PTFO or GTFO
System Name DarkStar
Processor i5 3570K 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
Cooling Apogee HD White/XSPC Razer blocks
Memory 8GB Samsung Green 1600
Video Card(s) 2 x GTX 670 4GB
Storage 2 x 120GB Samsung 830
Display(s) 27" QNIX
Case Enthoo Pro
Power Supply Seasonic Platinum 760
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard Ducky Pro MX Black
Software Windows 8.1 x64
Um Google? I found a post about it on Mac OS X hints but it's incredibly old and probably doesnt apply to your version of OS X.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
well if you havnt already checked google, my guess is that you need to execute chsh and then tell it ksh. of course you need to install ksh and make sure you tell the program which dir to install it to.

Tmonkey

well if you havnt already checked google, my guess is that you need to execute chsh and then tell it ksh. of course you need to install ksh and make sure you tell the program which dir to install it to.

Cool,

Thanks

streetfighter 2

Curious.

Maybe I don't understand the question but don't you just type "bash", or "ksh", or "tcsh", etc. at the prompt and it'll change your shell?

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Curious.

Maybe I don't understand the question but don't you just type "bash", or "ksh", or "tcsh", etc. at the prompt and it'll change your shell?

in linux, yes. i am not sure about osx. it probably is fairly similiar if it is no the same. of course, you do have to have the shells installed first.

Tmonkey

Curious.

I'm not sure, it has bee a while since I have worked with UNIX or Linux and I am brand new to BSD. It has been my experience in the past that specifying and configuring the shell allows you to customize your environment. I prefer ksh because I like vi and the ksh allows you to use vi commands on the command line. I also like the vi file navigation for finding previous commands from the history file.

I'm curious about how to set up my terminal so that when I start it I get my "customized" environment without having to configure it each time.

streetfighter 2

I'm not sure, it has bee a while since I have worked with UNIX or Linux and I am brand new to BSD. It has been my experience in the past that specifying and configuring the shell allows you to customize your environment. I prefer ksh because I like vi and the ksh allows you to use vi commands on the command line. I also like the vi file navigation for finding previous commands from the history file.

I've got OS X 10.5.5 running in a-- Err... *Genuine* mac (strictly for testing purposes). I have no problem switching between bash, tcsh, and ksh just by typing them in on the commandline.

I'm curious about how to set up my terminal so that when I start it I get my "customized" environment without having to configure it each time.

You can open terminal then go to Preferences and edit the startup options.

If you're feeling frisky I'm betting there is something like a ".terminalrc" that you can configure till you die of over-customization.