• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

WARNING! Your non Official PS3 controller might explode!

System Name LenovoⓇ ThinkPad™ T430
Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Motherboard Lenovo 2344 (Mobile Intel QM77 Express Chipset)
Cooling Single-pipe heatsink + Delta fan
Memory 2x 8GB KingstonⓇ HyperX™ Impact 2133MHz DDR3L SO-DIMM
Video Card(s) Intel HD Graphics™ 4000 (GPU clk: 1100MHz, vRAM clk: 1066MHz)
Storage SamsungⓇ 860 EVO mSATA (250GB) + 850 EVO (500GB) SATA
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Case ThinkPad Roll Cage (one-piece magnesium frame)
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Power Supply ThinkPad 65W AC Adapter + ThinkPad Battery 70++ (9-cell)
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Software MicrosoftⓇ WindowsⓇ 10 x86-64 (22H2)
So, I've read in the news that a new firmware update was issued by Sony to PS3 owners, that adds nice new features to the console, such as 3DBlu-ray, but makes it impossible to play without Official PS3 Wireless controllers, or like Sony says "Counterfeit and Unlicensed PlayStation®3 Wireless Controllers".
They go as far as telling, in the news post, that the controller might explode or ignite and eventually damage the console. It seems it only affects controllers trough adapters and USB controllers, though.
Are any of you having issues with this?

According to Ars, this may either be a bug on the firmware (eventually to be corrected) or another plot by Sony to screw even further the PS3 users/owners.

Source 1 and Source 2.

Last edited:

streetfighter 2

I read this yesterday, I didn't think of posting it though.

I should note that controller related explosions are not funny. My cousin was resting the controller on his genitals and that's when it happened. Worse still was a year later his wife, no longer able to get satisfaction from him, was trying to use the controller's vibrate feature when BAM.

Anyway, the same thing happened to their kids.

SO DON'T JOKE AROUND ABOUT THIS.

System Name Turbo_Fighter/Pitbull
Processor AMD FX-9590/Intel i7 6700K 4.7GHZ @ 1.41 volts
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0/Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5
Cooling Corsair H105/Corsair H100iv2
Memory 32 GB G.Skill Ares/32 GB G.Skill Trident-Z
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon R9 Fury X/Sapphire R9 Nano
Storage Mix of HDDs SSDs Externals and a 256GB Samsung M.2 in the pitbull
Display(s) 24" Nixeus 144hz freesync/24'' Benq XL2420TE/21.5'' Asus VH226/Panasonic 42" Plasma
Case White Phantom NZXT/Fractal Define Nano S
Audio Device(s) MayFlower O2 ODAC/HT Omega Claro+/Turtlebeach Earforce DSS
Power Supply Corsair AX1200i/Thermaltake Smart 650Watt(EVGA GS 650 Watt took a shit on me)
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Corsair K70
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores They can run Crysis.
so if i were to plug in my sidewinder 2 joystick, that would blow up too?

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
i bought a fake controller and refunded it 2 days after after seeing it was fake,the analogue was unresponsive and it has an extra screw where the warranty sticker is.

streetfighter 2

This reminds me of the Arizona Governor making a flagrantly valid and potentially true statement that people construed as being false simply because it wasn't true.

so if i were to plug in my sidewinder 2 joystick, that would blow up too?

Probably-- but not anymore because Sony saved you! You should be thanking your lucky stars that Sony loves you so much.

i bought a fake controller and refunded it 2 days after after seeing it was fake,the analogue was unresponsive and it has an extra screw where the warranty sticker is.

There are plenty of people using Xbox360-to-PS3 adapters and PS2-to-PS3 adapters and keyboard/mouse adapters that are getting screwed by this. Fortunately Sony absolved themselves of any liability so everything is totally solid. Once again, thanks Sony!

System Name Ultraman
Processor Intel core i9 13900HK
Motherboard Alienware/Dell inverted motherboard
Cooling Alienware/Dell cooling solution + IETS GT500 cooling pad
Memory Alienware/Dell 32GB 6000mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) Nvidia RTX4080 12GB
Storage 1TB Dell supplied NVME + Samsung Evo 1TB NVME
Display(s) AOC Gaming CU34G3S/BK
Case Alienware X16
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech G560
Power Supply Alienware/Dell battery + 330W charger
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse - White
Keyboard Ducky One2 SF White MX cherry Red
Software Windows 11
I got a usb adaptor for my ps2 controller to use on my desktop,which worked okay on ps3 but i bought a bootleg white ps3 controller and it failed hard from analogue issue and most common bootleg is indeed the white ps3 controller.

System Name GLaDOS
Processor AMD FX-9590 X8 4.7GHz
Motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Cooling Corsair H80i v2
Memory Corsair Vengeance 24GB (2x8GB, 2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMINGOC
Storage WD Blue 3D NAND 1TB Internal PC SSD
Display(s) 2 Acer S231HL 23" LED backlit LCD's on a Dual LCD stand
Case Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow
Audio Device(s) Onboard - Corsair Void Pro Wireless
Power Supply Corsair 850HXi 850W
Mouse Corsair Sabre RGB
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
Subb'd as I was planing on purchasing a PS3 for Christmas...

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
So, I've read in the news that a new firmware update was issued by Sony to PS3 owners, that adds nice new features to the console, such as 3DBlu-ray, but makes it impossible to play without Official PS3 Wireless controllers, or like Sony says "Counterfeit and Unlicensed PlayStation®3 Wireless Controllers".
They go as far as telling, in the news post, that the controller might explode or ignite and eventually damage the console. It seems it only affects controllers trough adapters and USB controllers, though.

According to Ars, this may either be a bug on the firmware (eventually to be corrected) or another plot by Sony to screw even further the PS3 users/owners.

Source 1 and Source 2.

Its all being blown out of proportion. SONY dont want you to buy 3rd party pads, so there release an update to block them, simple ;) This will also aid them in the fight against PS3 piracy.

They dont give a shit about your health, only profit!

Processor IntelⓇ Core™ i5-3210M processor (2 cores, 2.50GHz, 3MB cache), Intel Turbo Boost™ 2.0 (3.10GHz), HT™
Display(s) 14.0" (355mm) HD (1366x768) color, anti-glare, LED backlight, 200 nits, 16:9 aspect ratio, 300:1 co
Audio Device(s) HD Audio, RealtekⓇ ALC3202 codec, DolbyⓇ Advanced Audio™ v2 / stereo speakers, 1W x 2
Mouse TrackPointⓇ pointing device + UltraNav™, wide touchpad below keyboard + ThinkLight™
Keyboard 6-row, 84-key, ThinkVantage button, spill-resistant, multimedia Fn keys, LED backlight (PT Layout)
Its all being blown out of proportion. SONY dont want you to buy 3rd party pads, so there release an update to block them, simple This will also aid them in the fight against PS3 piracy.

They dont give a shit about your health, only profit!
:shadedshu
It's crap like this that's keeping me from buying one.
I'm keeping an eye open for PS3 related happenings and events, just to spot the best opportunity to buy one and don't get screwed by Sony. Guess that will never happen. Oh well, I was hoping I could play GT5 eventually, guess it's not going to be on a console owned by me.

System Name Unknown
Processor AMD Bulldozer FX8320 @ 4.4Ghz
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling XSPC Raystorm 750 EX240 for CPU
Memory 8 GB CORSAIR Vengeance Red DDR3 RAM 1922mhz (10-11-9-27)
Video Card(s) XFX R9 290
Storage Samsung SSD 254GB and Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
Display(s) AOC 23" @ 1920x1080 + Asus 27" 1440p
Case HAF X
Audio Device(s) X Fi Titanium 5.1 Surround Sound
Power Supply 750 Watt PP&C Silencer Black
Software Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
BS.... Sony probably coded the PS3 to make Third Party Controllers Blow Up. Now they feel bad and patched it so you can't use them at all.

Truth is I haven't heard one story of this every happening and if it did ever happen (which apparently by Sony it should since it was possible) we would have heard about it.

I'm keeping an eye open for PS3 related happenings and events, just to spot the best opportunity to buy one and don't get screwed by Sony. Guess that will never happen. Oh well, I was hoping I could play GT5 eventually, guess it's not going to be on a console owned by me.

TBH, even though this is a Jew Move by Sony (No Offense to any Jews reading this) this shouldn't really make you reconsider purchasing this amazing console. Personally I bought only Sony made PS3 Controllers prior to all this just because I prefer having the Sony brand. Any third party controllers I bought with my PS2 or Gamecube always broke on me but not one of the originals ever broke on me.

streetfighter 2

If I were you I'd buy a used PS3 with 3.41 (or lower firmware) so you can jailbreak it. The dev community is quite active right now and great things are happening. Today a new OS was even announced called PlayOS which purportedly plays 1080p MKVs. I have no idea if this is true but I don't care. It shows the incredible enthusiasm in the community.

Already there are very rough betas of Dreamcast, Saturn and SNES emulators. Apparently a PSP emulator by GamerSuper is also being cooked up. I want to repeat that I don't believe any of it, but it's pretty nifty anyway.

I used to be a loyal adherent to the GT series but I grew up and I needed something more serious. Provided you have a reasonable computer, iRacing.com is where it's at. That game makes GT5 look like Need for Speed.

TBH, even though this is a Jew Move by Sony (No Offense to any Jews reading this) this shouldn't really make you reconsider purchasing this amazing console.

At least you capitalized "Jew". Unfortunately there isn't an emoticon of a smiley face wearing a yarmulke and carrying a wad of cash. :p

System Name Red Team Build
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 3900X
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S
Memory HyperX Predator 64GB 3200CL16 (4X16GB)
Video Card(s) SAPPHIRE NITRO+ RX 5700 XT
Storage OS: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB ;Storage SSD: Crucial MX500 1TB
Display(s) Dell U2715h, Samsung 43RU7100
Case Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X
Audio Device(s) AUDIO-GD NFB11.28 DAC-Headphone Amp, beyerdynamic T1mk2, Sennheiser HD58X, JBL LSR305 Monitors
Power Supply Corsair RM750i
Mouse Steelseries Rival 310
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 LUX RGB (MX RED)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64Bit
they wont blow up ... they just won't work :roll:

That all sounds like very good news.
I used to be a loyal adherent to the GT series but I grew up and I needed something more serious. Provided you have a reasonable computer, iRacing.com is where it's at. That game makes GT5 look like Need for Speed.
Same here, although I haven't got the cash to play iRacing yet, I just go for LFS, rFactor, Race Driver 3 and CMR 2k5. I just like GT series for the pretty images. :p
I am aware of the series issues, but for a change I like to see well modeled and now HD quality cars...to hell with the rest. :D

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!

Dont be put off, its a great console. Plus, you would probably want to use official gear anyway :)

System Name FlowTI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 RGB
Memory Corsair Vengeance DDR5 32GB 6000MHz/CL30 RGB
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
Storage Main: Crucial P5 Plus 1TB | Data: Crucial P3 Plus 4TB
Display(s) DELL S2721DGFA 165Hz
Case NZXT H5 Flow RGB
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Firefly Black DAC | Beyerdynamic DT 700 PRO X | Shure MV7 Microphone
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech Pro X Superlight
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Windows 11 Professional
Benchmark Scores Don't care
In few months Sony will say that using PS3 is safe only with Sony BRAVIA tv series. Other may explode.

Bullshit. :shadedshu

Dont be put off, its a great console. Plus, you would probably want to use official gear anyway :)
TBH, even though this is a Jew Move by Sony (No Offense to any Jews reading this) this shouldn't really make you reconsider purchasing this amazing console. Personally I bought only Sony made PS3 Controllers prior to all this just because I prefer having the Sony brand.
I'm not saying it's a bad console, I also think it's a very amazing piece of engineering capable of very powerful stuff (like hunting pedos on the web for the FBI), it's just that these measures by Sony make it look like, if I'm buying a PS3, I'm getting a spectacular console and getting ripped off and slowly robbed of it's many features.
Any third party controllers I bought with my PS2 or Gamecube always broke on me but not one of the originals ever broke on me.
Yeah, but those 3rd-party didn't blew up or spontaneously combusted on your hands, didn't they? :p

HookeyStreet

Eat, sleep, game!
You guys do realise that FONY are talking about poorly made, FAKE, Hong Kong pads. Not well made 3rd party pads made by a company like Mad Catz?

This is the sort of shit to avoid: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39879

But, they are also trying their best to knock out USB devices that allow you to boot the console in DEV mode and install full games to the HDD :roll:

Last edited:
W

wahdangun

Source 1 and Source 2.

its for UNLICENSED so if you buy your controller from brand name, and not some Chinese knock off, you will be fine

and atleast its btter than xbox, you simply get rip off when you buy their "official" Hdd

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Processor Intel i7 2600K @4.6Ghz
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
Cooling Noctua nh-u12p se2
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz 9-10-9-27
Video Card(s) POWERCOLOR HD 7970 3GB
Storage OCZ Vertex 2 240GB SSD / 2*320GB WDC RAID 0
Display(s) Samsung 226BW 21" 1650*1080
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Audio Device(s) Creative X-FI Professional PCI
Power Supply OCZ PC Power & Cooling 860W
Software Windows 7 x64
Hmm..

My father once bought a Betamax video from Sony. For the benefit of the younger members on this forum Betamax was Sony's own format of video playback device.......which only Sony were allowed to make.

My mother also bought me a Sony mp3 player a few years ago, which unlike other mp3 players, forces the user to use Sony's own music catalogue program (which has huge compatibility and stability issues) whenever I want to transfer music onto the device. I can assure everyone, this made the process of changing the music content of my mp3 player quite a major fucking operation.

However, whilst both these products were an utter pain the arse for the naive gullible end user who was stupid enough to buy them, I can assure you all, that neither of them blew up, not even when they were sitting in the bottom of the garbage bucket!

So if you want to buy products that don't blow up, be sure to purchase only genuine Sony merchandise!

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Hmm..

My father once bought a Betamax video from Sony. For the benefit of the younger members on this forum Betamax was Sony's own format of video playback device.......which only Sony were allowed to make.

My mother also bought me a Sony mp3 player a few years ago, which unlike other mp3 players, forces the user to use Sony's own music catalogue program (which has huge compatibility and stability issues) whenever I want to transfer music onto the device. I can assure everyone, this made the process of changing the music content of my mp3 player quite a major fucking operation.

However, whilst both these products were an utter pain the arse for the naive gullible end user who was stupid enough to buy them, I can assure you all, that neither of them blew up, not even when they were sitting in the bottom of the garbage bucket!

So if you want to buy products that don't blow up, be sure to purchase only genuine Sony merchandise!

Sorry but Betamax failed due to cost as it used much better quality heads than VHS which made it too expensive at the time. Not saying there was no other reasons but that was on of the main ones.

And like some said here already you dont want to buy most 3rd party controllers anyways as either the buttons are crappy, responce is shit or the analog stick drifts.

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Software Windows 7 x64
Sorry but Betamax failed due to cost as it used much better quality heads than VHS which made it too expensive at the time. Not saying there was no other reasons but that was on of the main ones.

.......that Sony publicly announced as the reason for its failure?

What about the Sony mp3 players forcing customers to use their crappy p.o.s software in order to get music files onto and off the device.

Sony are notorious for (failed) attempts to monopolise and dictate use of their products. I for one will never touch anything with a Sony label on it ever again and for this reason, I will get an xbox360 (only for playing footie/boxing games in front room) instead of the PS3.

W

wahdangun

.......that Sony publicly announced as the reason for its failure?

What about the Sony mp3 players forcing customers to use their crappy p.o.s software in order to get music files onto and off the device.

Sony are notorious for (failed) attempts to monopolise and dictate use of their products. I for one will never touch anything with a Sony label on it ever again and for this reason, I will get an xbox360 (only for playing footie/boxing games in front room) instead of the PS3.

i don't know what are meaning are but i'm pretty sure that its quite easy to transfer music from computer to walkman its just drag and drop, windows automatically recognize it without any single driver or software ( i buy it secondhand so i didn't know if it have crappy software with it)

i know because i actually have one, and its sound great, its the best Mp3 player i ever have

MatTheCat

System Name Bitch
Case Lian Li PC B-25
Software Windows 7 x64
i don't know what are meaning are but i'm pretty sure that its quite easy to transfer music from computer to walkman its just drag and drop, windows automatically recognize it without any single driver or software ( i buy it secondhand so i didn't know if it have crappy software with it)

i know because i actually have one, and its sound great, its the best Mp3 player i ever have

For a while, with all Sony portable media player products, the consumer was forced to use their damn atrociously bad software.

If you want to know more, google ATRAC, which was the file format that Sony forced the user to convert to.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro
I would like to go out and say what sony is saying is true. These batteries in the controllers can go bang with ease, and a very big bang at that.

All sony is saying is that non official controllers might not meet the correct protection needed for them not to go bang with heavy usage.

Do to me using a lot of E-Cig mods that run on these kinds of batteries over the last year or so. I have seen reports of such batteries exploding when not properly protected with the right PCB. A non official company might decide to run non protected batteries to save a dime....