• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Stanford dedicates Engineering center to Nvidia leader Huang

System Name The Dove Box Rev 3.0
Processor i7 8700k @ 4.7GHz
Motherboard Asus Maximus X APEX
Cooling Custom water loop
Memory 16GB 3600 MHz DDR4
Video Card(s) 2x MSI 780 Ti's in SLI
Storage 500GB Samsung 850 PCIe SSD, 4TB
Display(s) 27" Asus 144Hz
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Audio Device(s) ON BOARD FTW
Power Supply Corsair 1200W
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
Nvidia's blog had this to say:

Under a blue autumn sky, more than 600 students, Silicon Valley dignitaries and NVIDIA employees joined Stanford’s administrative brass in dedicating the keystone building of the Engineering School’s new campus.

Named for NVIDIA’s co-founder and CEO, the Jen-Hsun Huang Engineering Center features broad windows and terraces overlooking the grassy Engineering Quad, with the landmark tower of the Hoover Institute in the distance. The school – which has 240 faculty, 800 undergrads and 3,300 graduate students – grants fully one-tenth of the engineering doctorates awarded each year in the U.S.

Please read more and even enjoy the video of Huang's thoughts at Nvidia's blog:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/2010/10/stanford-dedicates-new-huang-engineering-center.html

Additionally:

The Stanford School of Engineering today announced that Jen-Hsun Huang, the founder and chief executive officer of leading visual computing company NVIDIA and a Stanford electrical engineering alumnus, will donate $30 million to help build a modern and sustainable destination for education and research, the Jen-Hsun Huang School of Engineering Center.

Please read more here:

http://www.azonano.com/news.asp?newsID=7561

My personal sentiments:

Today The University of Standford dedicated an entire engineering center to the Nvidia legend Jen-Hsun Huang. This distinguished honor was bestowed to the 1992 Masters of Electrical Engineering Alumni, from a long list of competitors. Competitors like the creator of the Google Search engine, or co-inventor of Ethernet, or even the inventor of MatLab, or perhaps the senior VP of software for the iPhone. All worthy of propelling their field forward and enhancing everyday living and also easily available to invest $30M.

For such a renown program like Stanford's Engineering and Computer Science to dedicate an entire set of buildings that will remind future engineers 50 years from now that they are amongst the same grounds that pioneers like Huang called home truly is an honor.

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
:laugh:

I'm sure this has NOTHING to do with the money nV gave Stanford...

:shadedshu

"competition" didn't exist, except to marketing. nV PAID for alot of that complex...funny..it was supposed to be done a couple of months ago...:laugh:

I guess they figure that because nV gave the money two years ago to build the facility, noone would remember?

The School of Engineering at Stanford is a major source of intellectual energy for Silicon Valley and beyond," said Huang, who earned his master's degree in electrical engineering at Stanford in 1992. "I am proud to help the school build a headquarters that embodies its plans for the future — a place that encourages people to come together to create the next generation of knowledge and technology."

The Huang Center is the second building to take shape in the Science and Engineering Quad (SEQ), just west of the university's Main Quad. Ultimately SEQ (formerly known as SEQ2) will also include centers for nanotechnology and bioengineering and chemical engineering.

http://www.azonano.com/news.asp?newsID=7561

Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
I dont think anyone can buy their way into Stanford, especially having an entire center dedicated to them.

Who cares if he's an alumn who can donate 5M? He's done more for electrical engineering than you or I will ever do combined.

Edited: He donated $30M

Last edited:

cadaveca

My name is Dave
The problem is you hint that he was chosen form the long list of alumnists, but truly, that's not the case. Buildings were really named in his honor 2 years ago.

And really, any hospital building named after someone, plus alot of university buildings, are named for the major contributors. That is HOW IT WORKS.

You contribute millions, they honor you...

Him getting honored isn't the problem...that's perfectly normal, IMHO. It's how you presented the story that makes the difference.

FYI, he donated to Orgeon State, and received an honoary degree, too.

Last edited:
Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
Well it wasn't the Google Center...

I didn't say it was chosen from a list, but rather from a loooooooong list of competitors who could easily donated 30M he stepped up and went through with it.

Either way I dont care about him 'buying' the buildings at Stanford, it seems thats your only point.

Money aside, Huang is a genius and propelled Computer Science and Electrical Engineering forward and is being honored by Stanford University. Every Doctoral student, every Masters student, and probably most of the undergrad students look up to those like Huang.

Last edited:
System Name Vegnagun
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard Asus B550 Gaming-E
Cooling Noctua NH-U14
Memory 4x8 G. Skill 3800mhz CL14
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Storage WD SN850 2tb
Display(s) Viotek 1080p 120hz
Case Fractal Design Define 7
Power Supply Corsair AX850
Mouse Logitech
Keyboard Logitech 815 tactile
Software Windows 10 Education
Benchmark Scores top 1% in the world for weekly score in Killzone 2 :)
And really, any hospital building named after someone, plus alot of university buildings, are named for the major contributors. That is HOW IT WORKS.

Very true. My family has two buildings on a university where I'm from. The Larimer athletic complex and McMaster observatory. Neither of them went there, but they supported the school w/ quite a substantial sum.

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I didn't say it was chosen from a list, but rather from a loooooooong list of competitors who could easily donated 5M.

And THAT is wrong. He paid a large part of the costs of the facility, and was honored because of it. They didn't chose his name from a list....THAT would be WRONG. Nobody else contributed to that facility like he did...he deserves it!

You may not understand it, but you are LESSENING the impact he has had on Stanford.

I am very happy that he has invested in ensuring that he has future employees...you just simply think I'm anti-NV, and that's not the case. You are simply presenting the story falsely, and by doing so, you are not giving Huang his due recognition. And that is the issue I have with your post. Recognize his contribution properly, please. There was no competition for who was honored...none of the others on that list are doing like he is.

Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
OK, do you have anything else to say?

How about now? Are you done now?

Time to move on...

cadaveca

My name is Dave
I just like to keep things honest. I'm sorry if that's a problem.

Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
I just like to keep things honest. I'm sorry if that's a problem.

Good for you, you should have started your own thread before crapping all over mine.

Your argument was how I am misstating the issue, well if you felt so compelled to tell me how wrong I am then I just have to ask why didn't you start your own thread? Why wouldn't you simply tell the story your way?

Honestly I don't care about your opinion so there's no need to tell me how wrong I am about this post. Please start your own thread.

AltecV1

Processor C2D E8400@3.6 ghz
Motherboard ASUS P5KPL-AM
Cooling Freezer 7 pro
Memory Kingston 4GB 800Mhz cl6
Video Card(s) Sapphire HD4850 700/1000 + Accelero S1 Rev. 2
Storage WD 250 GB AAKS
Display(s) 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW
Audio Device(s) int.
Power Supply Forton Blue Storm II 500W
Software Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
Today The University of Standford dedicated an entire engineering center to the Nvidia legend Jen-Hsun Huang. This distinguished honor was bestowed to the 1992 Masters of Electrical Engineering Alumni, from a long list of competitors. Competitors like the creator of the Google Search engine, or co-inventor of Ethernet, or even the inventor of MatLab, or perhaps the senior VP of software for the iPhone. All worthy of propelling their field forward and enhancing everyday living.

For such a renown program like Stanford's Engineering and Computer Science to dedicate an entire set of buildings that will remind future engineers 50 years from now that they are amongst the same grounds that pioneers like Huang called home truly is an honor.

Nvidia's blog had this to say:

Please read more and even enjoy the video of Huang's thoughts at Nvidia's blog:

http://blogs.nvidia.com/ntersect/2010/10/stanford-dedicates-new-huang-engineering-center.html

i bet you have a shrine for Jen-Hsun Huang hes like a god to you :laugh: seriosly thou that guy is a total jackass just like Steve Jobs

System Name home build
Processor Core I5-10600K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro A
Cooling Cooler Master HF212
Memory 2x8GB DDR4-3200
Video Card(s) Zotac RTX2070 Super Mini
Storage 1tb ssd, 2tbhdd
Display(s) LG 32inch 2560x1440
Case Lian-Li
Audio Device(s) on board
Power Supply 750watt
Software Win 11 Pro 64bit
Here's a question that probably slipped past you if you don't fold, "how long has Nvidia been helping Stanford Univ, with the Folding@Home Project?"

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
Honestly I don't care about your opinion so there's no need to tell me how wrong I am about this post. Please start your own thread.

Threads on forums are designed to be for open discussion. If dissenting or alternate opinions are not welcome, don't start a thread.
The assertations about how this honor came to be bestowed upon Mr. Huang is valid discourse and not a personal attack.

Now play nice everyone. If it gets ugly and personal there WILL be unhappy people.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I think the two 'discusion' points boil down to this.

1) OP - JSH gets buildings named after him for being great at his field (which he is - no arguements there. Bit of a Jobsian tyrant within his own company but great nonetheless)

2) Cadaveca et al - He's honoured for donating a pot of cash and helping get it built. He's honoured for helping out Stanford specifically. Not because he's better than the other folk in the list given.

The OP makes it seem as if he was given something simply for being the best out of a bunch of folk - which isn't accurate. Others have simply pointed out that generous benefactors often get things named after them - and this is exactly that case. JSH is a generous benefactor to Stanford and wished to see it do well.

See here for similar generous people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...er_people#Benefactors_or_their_family_members

Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Win 10 64x
Good for you, you should have started your own thread before crapping all over mine.

Your argument was how I am misstating the issue, well if you felt so compelled to tell me how wrong I am then I just have to ask why didn't you start your own thread? Why wouldn't you simply tell the story your way?

This post is absolutely stupid. I made these remarks out of taking it personally. Normally I would just delete the post and try to convince myself it never happened, but I'm going to take a different approach. I'm leaving this post as an example of how not to take it personally. I chose to take Cadaveca's post personally and ended up looking like a jackass. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I would like Cadaveca to know I edited the original post to reflect the link posted about Huang donating $30M. I also rearranged the post to move my personal thoughts to the end.

i bet you have a shrine for Jen-Hsun Huang hes like a god to you :laugh: seriosly thou that guy is a total jackass just like Steve Jobs

I guess I never looked at him as pompous as Jobs. I dont personally have a shrine to Nvidia/Huang but I do have alot of respect for ANY Masters of Electrical Engineering degree holder as I am an undergrad in the same field. I look up to people like him, and many others :)

Here's a question that probably slipped past you if you don't fold, "how long has Nvidia been helping Stanford Univ, with the Folding@Home Project?"

Your right, Standford and Nvidia might as well be partners in crime/passion. :laugh:

Threads on forums are designed to be for open discussion. If dissenting or alternate opinions are not welcome, don't start a thread.
The assertations about how this honor came to be bestowed upon Mr. Huang is valid discourse and not a personal attack.

Now play nice everyone. If it gets ugly and personal there WILL be unhappy people.

Thank you for reminding not to get personal, I appreciate the well mannered moderation.

I think the two 'discusion' points boil down to this.

1) OP - JSH gets buildings named after him for being great at his field (which he is - no arguements there. Bit of a Jobsian tyrant within his own company but great nonetheless)

2) Cadaveca et al - He's honoured for donating a pot of cash and helping get it built. He's honoured for helping out Stanford specifically. Not because he's better than the other folk in the list given.

The OP makes it seem as if he was given something simply for being the best out of a bunch of folk - which isn't accurate. Others have simply pointed out that generous benefactors often get things named after them - and this is exactly that case. JSH is a generous benefactor to Stanford and wished to see it do well.

See here for similar generous people.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...er_people#Benefactors_or_their_family_members

Thank you for taking the time to show both points. I hope the rearranged post helps turn around the inclination that I think he was chosen by God. I realize he gives back generously, I realize people who give generously are honored, I respect all EE's but even moreso those that take their field to a new direction.

DaMulta

My stars went supernova
System Name Work in progress
Processor AMD 955---4Ghz
Motherboard MSi GD70
Cooling OcZ Phase/water
Memory Crucial2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR3 PC3-16000
Video Card(s) CrossfireX 2 X HD 4890 1GB OCed to 1000Mhz
Storage SSD 64GB
Display(s) Envision 24'' 1920x1200
Case Using the desk ATM
Audio Device(s) Sucky onboard for now :(
Power Supply 1000W TruePower Quattro

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Ironically my brother is an EE and worked for Freescale (formerly Motorola) and now works for crazy people. But his art used to be taking perfectly working things apart and making them not work :laugh:

Case Enermax Fulmo GT
Keyboard Logitech G510