• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

extremely slow transfer in wifi 802.11n

jetmantrunks

i've lately purchased an edimax BR-6424n wireless router and have connected my win xp pc to it directly with LAN and my win7 laptop using wifi.
up untill a few days ago i've been using my built in laptop wifi adapter (b/g) and got around 35% signal strength and could transfer files from my laptop to my desktop at around 1.5-2.5MBps.
this seemed very slowed to me so i've purchased a usb wifi adapter with a 5dbi antenna which claims to be 300mbps (in 802.11n on 40mhz). after installing it's drivers i can see on it's control panel (realtek 11n software) that my Tx and Rx keep jumping around, but even when they are Tx:150 Mbps, Rx:300 (or is it the other way around? i forgot) i still get only around 1.5-2.5MBps transfer between my desktop and laptop (a bit slower when uploading from my latop to my desktop).
the realtek control panel states my link quality is 98-100% and signal strength bounces around 58-60%. any idea why i get such low speeds?

also i can choose to keep both my built in laptop wifi adapter connected to my router on 802.11g and my usb wifi adapter connected to 802.11n, is that supposed to improve my connection or will it just use the best connection?

stats:
*my router is configured to use either 20 or 40mhz automatically
*my router transmits on 2.4ghz(B+G+N)
*Tx power on my router is set to 100%
*when i look at my active wireless clients i see my built in wifi and usb wifi adapters at such:
802.11 PhyMode Power Save BandWidth
OFDM ON 20M (the built in one if im not mistaken)
HTMIX OFF 40M

those speeds sounds about right, little tweak might help. i get the same. what network card you using on desktop

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
those speeds sounds about right, little tweak might help. i get the same. what network card you using on desktop

that's about right for N 150, wired 100mb lan i get 10 Mb/s gigabit lan nets around 100Mb/s

Long story short if you want high speed transfers get a gigabit router and use wired connections

Last edited:

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
Sub'd

I get 512-800 KB/s over G (on a good day!) and 1.5MB/sec over N :eek: Just awful.

System Name ODIN
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550 Aorus Elite AX V2
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Memory G Skill RipjawsV F4 3600 Mhz C16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3080 Ventus 3X OC LHR
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Display(s) Dell S2716DG 27" 144 Hz G-SYNC
Case Fractal Meshify C
Audio Device(s) Onboard Audio
Power Supply Antec HCP 850 80+ Gold
Mouse Corsair M65
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB Lux
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Benchmark Scores I don't benchmark.
Sounds about right. There is a lot of overhead involved in that connection. Your data is being encapsulated, changed to a wireless single, possible encrypted depending your router settings, transferred to the router, verified, transmitted to another computer, and then translated back to a file. You can improve it by setting it to N only or G/N only, making sure the channels you are using are not being used by a lot of other people in the area (only important if you live in an apartment), and turning off any encryption.

Dual connects can improve throughput, but they would have to be bound together. If the are not linked together it will just use the fastest one available. It could also use the one built in to board and ignore the adapter all together. I am not sure. Hit Ctrl+alt+del and look at the network traffic to see what adapter is transmitting.

Last edited:

jetmantrunks

crackerjack its just a generic 10/100mbps card i believe, never really put much thought to it.

TheLaughingMan i just changed it to N only (no option for n+g) and didnt see much change if any.
i already used inSSIDer a few days ago to see which channels are flooded and decided to go with channel 2 with channel 1 being empty, and 1 other connection on 3 since that connection is set to channel 4 and is leaking to 3. i believe you know what i mean even though im not that good at explaining it.

also i've used wpa at first but then changed to wpa2 a week ago, but it shouldnt matter speed-wise, right?

i've been told to turn off the onboard wifi because making the router work with one client on g and one on n would just slow it down.

btw i've noticed that my Rx and Tx jump around a lot, my Tx i sometimes as low as 30 and my Rx only 1, is that normal

System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Storage Crucial 2 TB M.2 SSD :: WD Blue M.2 1TB SSD :: 1 TB WD Black VelociRaptor
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65
crackerjack its just a generic 10/100mbps card i believe, never really put much thought to it.

TheLaughingMan i just changed it to N only (no option for n+g) and didnt see much change if any.
i already used inSSIDer a few days ago to see which channels are flooded and decided to go with channel 2 with channel 1 being empty, and 1 other connection on 3 since that connection is set to channel 4 and is leaking to 3. i believe you know what i mean even though im not that good at explaining it.

also i've used wpa at first but then changed to wpa2 a week ago, but it shouldnt matter speed-wise, right?

i've been told to turn off the onboard wifi because making the router work with one client on g and one on n would just slow it down.

btw i've noticed that my Rx and Tx jump around a lot, my Tx i sometimes as low as 30 and my Rx only 1, is that normal

Good, forcing it to use the adapter you want should help.

Fluctuation in power is normal. You may want to try turning off your laptop's power management to minimize it doing that.

Also, I meant no encryption at all. No WPA of any kind. It will help, but not by much.

What are you trying to do. If you are just transferring some files, wire the laptop into the router with a Cat5 and transfer the files. It will be 30 to 40 times faster. Then you can move smaller files as needed with what you have now.

then those speeds are perfectly normal. you would need a 1gb router to get any speed increase...

jetmantrunks

TheLaughingMan the power saving is off, its no use to me since my laptop is almost always connevted to the power because it's battery is almost dead now, managing barely 20 minutes.

no encryption would be too risky considering im in a 5 story apartment building with 15 other networks all secured and probably isnt worth the risk of someone hacking me or the hassel of mac filtering.

yes im transferring large files 200-700mb. up untill now i've used usb flash drives to transfer files i need fast since i get an upload rate of about 5MBps and a download rate of 10-11MBps. can the cat5 grant me faster speeds?
also im not really familiar with cat5, how can i check if my rj-45 is a cat5? and i need a regular or a crossed one?

CrackerJack that type of router would be too expensive i think. is the 300mbps promise of 802.11n really such an exaggeration? even when considering overhead and all its still very disappointing

TheLaughingMan the power saving is off, its no use to me since my laptop is almost always connevted to the power because it's battery is almost dead now, managing barely 20 minutes.

no encryption would be too risky considering im in a 5 story apartment building with 15 other networks all secured and probably isnt worth the risk of someone hacking me or the hassel of mac filtering.

yes im transferring large files 200-700mb. up untill now i've used usb flash drives to transfer files i need fast since i get an upload rate of about 5MBps and a download rate of 10-11MBps. can the cat5 grant me faster speeds?
also im not really familiar with cat5, how can i check if my rj-45 is a cat5? and i need a regular or a crossed one?

CrackerJack that type of router would be too expensive i think. is the 300mbps promise of 802.11n really such an exaggeration? even when considering overhead and all its still very disappointing

your wireless may support 300mbps, but your lan card doesn't. it's only max 100mbps.. which you'll almost never get. but if your do wireless to wireless transfer then you'll better results, which in your case your doing wired to wireless. so the speeds your getting is perfectly normal. like i said before, you can tweak a few settings.

*note, i get those exact same speeds on this network setup
F5D8233-4 Router
Built-In Realtek Network- 10/100/1000 speeds
Wireless laptop/desktop on the G network (Even if they were N, the speeds wouldn't be affected much)

The whole "B" "G" "N" "N1" Wasn't built just on speed bases, but for range.

Last edited:
System Name ODIN
Cooling Dark Rock 4
Case Fractal Meshify C
Mouse Corsair M65

"mbps" does not equal "Mbps" The unit of measure you and windows use to monitor your network speed is a much larger unit of measure than the wireless N rating standard.

802.11n (Variable 300.0 Mbit/s Max or variable 37.5 MB/s Max)

What you are getting is normal and the best you are going to get in your environment. Even if you are on a clear channel their is still signal interference, signal lose due to passing through walls, error correction, etc. You are not doing anything wrong, except having unrealistic expectations.

And Encrypting your data and securing your wireless network are two different things as well. Encryption prevents people from copying your packets (blocks of data) and viewing your information. Security locking your network does not prevent me from viewing/downloading your data packets. It does however prevent me from logging onto your router as user. This prevents people from using your Internet service that you paid for and viewing any shared information on your network.

Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-X) = 1,000 Mbit/s or 125 MB/s

If they will both be jacked into a router, you need standard Cat5 cables. If you are going to connect it directly from one computer to another.....don't because it is a pain in the ass. Long story short, a Ethernet cable is about 10 times faster than your thumb drive...well 20 since copy is only done once.

How to tell if the RJ45 is a Cat5. If it was made in the last 12 years or so, it is CAT5 or better. It should also have CAT5e patch cable written on the wire somewhere.

Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
I usually get 6-10 mbps on wireless-n. 2-3 is normal for for g not n. Win 7 helps a lot. Try moving the antennae if you can which does actually work ! Try sending the files from both ends of the connection as well.

theonedub

habe fidem
System Name Erakith || AsRock NUCS
Processor AMD ThreadRipper 2990WX ES (32c/64t 3.5ghz@1.02v) || Intel i7 1360P Raptor Lake-P
Motherboard MSI X399 MEG Creation || AsRock OE
Cooling EK Supremacy TR4 Full Nickel, D5 w/ EK Top, 2X EK-CoolStream XTX 360 & Photon 270 Res || OE
Memory 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance PRO RGB DDR4 3000|| 2x16GB Corsair DDR4
Video Card(s) Vega 64 EK FC|| Intel Iris Xe
Storage 250gb WD Black NVMe & (2) 2TB Intel 660p NVMe || 2TB Corsair MP600 Pro
Display(s) 34" Dell Ultrasharp U3415W
Case CaseLabs Merlin SM8 || Aluminum Unibody
Power Supply Corsair HX1000
Mouse Corsair Harpoon Wireless RGB
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB w/ Cherry MX Silent
Software Windows 10 Pro x64 || WIndows 11 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores WCG & F@H Only
If you aren't even cracking 1MB with G what are some things to look at? I've tried Netsh commands, disabling RDC, disabling Remote connections and nothing helps.

jetmantrunks

"mbps" does not equal "Mbps" The unit of measure you and windows use to monitor your network speed is a much larger unit of measure than the wireless N rating standard.

802.11n (Variable 300.0 Mbit/s Max or variable 37.5 MB/s Max)
yes i know, thats what i meant, and is why i also was careful to clearly mark MBps and mbps on my previous posts. i means 3.5 Mbps is very disappointing compared to the 37.5MBps promise. even with the 100mbps desktop bottle neck.

Gigabit Ethernet (1000BASE-X) = 1,000 Mbit/s or 125 MB/s

If they will both be jacked into a router, you need standard Cat5 cables. If you are going to connect it directly from one computer to another.....don't because it is a pain in the ass. Long story short, a Ethernet cable is about 10 times faster than your thumb drive...well 20 since copy is only done once.

to get the speeds your talking about i will have to replace my desktop and somehow also my laptop's network adapters since they only support 10/100 mbps, right? otherwise the very best i can hope for would be 12.5 MBps. would the router also have to be replaced? where can i check if it supports these speeds?
and thanks for all the help :)

andrew123

If you're using Gigabit, some nice Cat6 patch cords will provide the best connection. (More Twist, Slightly smaller gauge and pair separation).