• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Diagnosing the cause of recent BSODs: Possibly my 9600GT card?

tgp1994

Hi everyone.

For about the past three weeks, I have suddenly been experiencing a large number of BSODs. For the past three-four years of me using my computer, I may have only seen two. But this sudden onslaught seems to indicate something going amiss.

The most recent BSOD included nv4_disp.dll as part of the error, which indicates to me that the graphics card may have been causing these. In detail, the BSOD read:

nv4_disp.dll

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA 0x00000050 (0xC0916E7C, ...)

At the moment I'm running a benchmark with Furmark, while monitoring various vitals with GPU-Z. I average about 12 FPS, so the card has to be working hard, (99% GPU load, about 53% memory controller load), but what's weird is, the only fan that ends up working harder is my CPU fan. The graphics card fan speed never changes, and I'm pretty sure it should change automatically, with the GPU temperature rising from 51 degrees C to 59 degrees C over the stress testing period.

Furmark has been running for about 9 minutes now, and it just doesn't seem to be pushing my card hard enough. I can't seem to force my computer to BSOD :S (By the way, these BSODs have been occuring pretty much randomly, from me logging in one day, to my sister playing the Sims 3 the next day.)

So I'm hoping someone may be able to help me with first targeting the issue, then solving it.

Thanks!

P.S. Here's some system info:

• Windows XP Home SP3
  • 2GB system memory
  • ECS GeForce 9600 GT w/ 1GB, at stock speeds: 650 MHz core clock, 900 MHz Mem clock, 1.6GHz shader clock
  • Intel Core 2 Duo Dual Core @ 2.33GHz
  • Maximum temperature achieved on GPU while stress testing: 50 degrees C
  • BIOS version: 62.94.3C.00.65
  • Driver: 6.14.12.5721 (FWare 257.21)

EDIT: Just noticed, I have my Shared underclocked, 25 MHz under the default clock speed. I was using nTune at one point, but it's been gone for awhile now.

Last edited:

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Your power supply? Sometimes, you might be using a power supply which fails to give enough juice to the graphics card, causing it to crash. Since you have done Furmark, I don't think its the PSU. Maybe the graphics driver is corrupted, try reinstalling it?

Edit: welcome to TPU

cheezburger

System Name no bases
Processor E8400/e5300/qx9770
Motherboard rampage formula/DG41TY/p5q DELUXE
Cooling stock DTC cooler&copper core
Memory titanium XTC DDR2 800 2gbx4/2gbx2/ballistix 2GBx4 DDR2-800
Video Card(s) evga gtx 460 oc/zotac 9600gt amp/evga gtx 580
Storage WD cavior black 2TB 16mb eSATA 2/500gb 16mb ATA133/ OCZSSD2-1ONX32G + samsung 320gb 8mb ESATA
Case cm 690/GZ-x2/antec qaudro 1200w
Power Supply antec quattro 1200w/zumax 500w v2/antec HCG 900w
Software windows server 2008 sp2/windows xp x64 pro sp2c/windows server 2008 sp1
the driver seem to be corrupted during the hard drive fragment. or else you have virus infection.

tgp1994

I'm glad to be here :)

I'll go download and reinstall the driver ASAP. (I would also doubt the PSU, failing right now seems kind of unusual.)

EDIT: Seems like nividia released a driver update right under my nose! I was running 257, and it seems like 258 has been out since july. (Does anyone else find their naming system a little weird? 6.14.12.5721 == 257.21 == GeForce/ION Driver Release 255?)

tgp1994

Just got another BSOD today.

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0055F754, ...)

Could a mod possibly move this into a more general support section?

P.S. This occurred about 2 minutes after I logged in.

Found this
Some of you may have been stunned when you suddenly got a blue screen error that says "Irql_not_less_or_equal". A windows blue screen appears with that exact message and in an instant your machine crushes, forcing you to reboot. The blue screen of death (BSOD) error is either caused by a buggy device driver or a hardware problem. There are a myriad of reasons why this problem occurs.

The first cause of this problem is that your computer may have overheated too much. Check whether your computer temperature is too high and as a remedy have a cooling fan fixed to it.

However, the major cause for your computer showing such a blue screen error Irql_Not_Less_Or_Equal may have to do with your Windows registry, especially the HAL (Hardware abstraction layer).The HAL is a process in the windows registry that is designed to act as the communication link between the drivers and the hardware. When your registry is corrupted, HAL's communication with the hardware is hampered. This causes your computer to hang and give you the BSOD error. This problem requires a rather talented geek to solve it but with a bit of hard work and luck you could as well solve it. As a first step, scan your computer with a registry repair program that is able to fix problems in the HAL layer. Also, if have loaded a new device driver, you could try to remove it and see if the problem goes away or persists.

As you can see, the error isn't that hard to fix once you follow these easy instructions.

Fixing Blue Screen is easy to do with registry cleaner. If you scan your computer it will detect all the errors in your registry and safely remove them.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Logan_Yanany

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that is a v-ram memory bsod. Try buying some cheap ram heat sinks : ]

Also try re-applying thermal interface on the gpu if you havn't already.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might want to replace your TIM and remount your cpu cooler(and, possibly your GPU cooler), if you have not done so, lately. Since you have been using the computer for 3 or 4 years.
Clean it out, too(remove any and all dust bunnies).
Re-seat your memory.

Then run Realtemp and Prime95-OCCT-etc. to test and check temps.
Also, for sh*tz and grins run memtest or memtest86 to test the ram for possible errors.

Have you installed any software lately... try, un-installing it and see if the BSODs go away.

Just a couple of ideas.:)

Last edited:

tgp1994

You might want to replace your TIM and remount your cpu cooler(and, possibly your GPU cooler), if you have not done so, lately. Since you have been using the computer for 3 or 4 years.
Clean it out, too(remove any and all dust bunnies).
Re-seat your memory.

Then run Realtemp and Prime95-OCCT-etc. to test and check temps.
Also, for sh*tz and grins run memtest or memtest86 to test the ram for possible errors.

Have you installed any software lately... try, un-installing it and see if the BSODs go away.

Just a couple of ideas.:)

TIM?

I've cleaned my computer out several times since I first built it, usually when dust begins clogging my side panel fan, will indicate to me it's time to clean the computer :) (I run a very nice air filter about ~25 feet from me whenever I'm down here, so dust hasn't been too much of a problem for awhile :))

For some reason, I'm getting this odd feeling that I'm not using standoffs between my motherboard and the tray. Is it possible that some motherboards don't need them? (I'm using an MSI P6NGM mobo.)

I'll try running the Prime95 and realtemp programs. (Already tried Memtest, that was my first guess :))

Thanks for the ideas!

I could be wrong, but I'm fairly sure that is a v-ram memory bsod. Try buying some cheap ram heat sinks : ]

Also try re-applying thermal interface on the gpu if you havn't already.

V-Ram memory BSOD? That sounds rather far off :S I believe the GPU fan includes the GPU's memory, so I think I'm ok there. I recall applying thermal paste onto the GPU just awhile ago, so I believe I'm ok there as well. (I thought I posted my results of running a graphics stress test here, didn't I? I could not, for the life of me, get my GPU's temperature to rise above 60 degrees C, nor get the fan to start working harder than idle.)

Found this
[stuff]

That was a pretty interesting read, although at some points the author's use of english confused certain meanings. (I.E. Is there a program actually named "Registry Cleaner", or did they mean to say "a registry cleaner"? I use CCleaner, so I think it's got my back in that regard.)

Last edited:

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
TIM = Thermal Interface Material, also, known as, Heatsink compound, thermal paste, etc.:)

Just my opinion, but, I always use standoffs.

Edit: Comodo makes a nice cleaner. It is free. Use with care; know what you are cleaning, before you wipe.

tgp1994

TIM = Thermal Interface Material, also, known as, Heatsink compound, thermal paste, etc.:)

Oh, ok :D Just an FYI, I've been using a paste called Artic Cooling 5 (I think :wtf:), or something along those lines. Anyhow, I hear it's one of those "professional" choices.

Just my opinion, but, I always use standoffs.

Oh, believe me, I would too. I just don't recall my motherboard coming with any :( (I think that's why I'm not using an I/O shield, the motherboard might be riding a tad low.)

Edit: Comodo makes a nice cleaner. It is free. Use with care; know what you are cleaning, before you wipe.

Alright, I just got it, and did a clean. Now I'll just have to wait for the next spontaneous BSOD :S. (Are there any programs for testing an entire system? Perhaps like a driver stress tester? I've seen the IRQL error quite a bit now, and I'm beginning to think it's a driver.)

tgp1994

Got another BSOD just the other day;

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA

0x00000050 (0xC0916E7C, ...)

Any other ideas?

Processor Core I5 4440 / 4430
Motherboard Asus z87-k / Gigabyte ga h97- d3h
Cooling Arctic freezer / Generic
Memory 8 gb Mushkin / Various
Video Card(s) Radeon 7850 cf / Gtx 690
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 gb / 2x1 terabyte hdds Wd 256 gb nvme
Display(s) Technika 32" / Asus 24` ips
Case Corsair
Audio Device(s) X-fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 850 w
Software Windows 10
You rly need standoffs . What do you mean anyway "you don`t think there are standoffs" ? Is it a prebuilt ? One last thing running an overclock or not ?

tgp1994

You rly need standoffs . What do you mean anyway "you don`t think there are standoffs" ? Is it a prebuilt ? One last thing running an overclock or not ?

Nah, built it myself, I just can't remember if my motherboard package came with them :( That would be kind of weird, since I think most cases would expect you to install the standoffs, placing the IO panel accordingly, but... I just dunno.
And everything shouldn't be overclocked. I used to, but I'm pretty sure all of the settings are back. In fact, GPU-Z even indicated that I have my GPU memory underclocked.

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Run Memtest to test your ram. Those are the exact same BSODs I was getting when one of my sticks started going bad. Just because you saw "nv4_disp.dll" in one of the BSODs doesn't mean that this is being caused by your video card. Do a google search. "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT STOP"?, "DRIVER_IRQL_IS_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"?, "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA "?. Sure sounds like Ram to me.

tgp1994

Run Memtest to test your ram. Those are the exact same BSODs I was getting when one of my sticks started going bad. Just because you saw "nv4_disp.dll" in one of the BSODs doesn't mean that this is being caused by your video card.

I'll try running the Prime95 and realtemp programs. (Already tried Memtest, that was my first guess :))

I really wish my memory was the problem though :\ Then I'd have an excuse to upgrade it.

timta2 said:
This post has been added by another user.

Since this is an active topic, this post has been automatically added to the thread while you were reading it. If you are replying to this thread you might want to read this post before doing so.

Wait, what?

Processor i7-3770K
Motherboard Biostar Hi-Fi Z77
Cooling Swiftech H20 (w/Custom External Rad Enclosure)
Memory 16GB DDR3-2400Mhz
Video Card(s) Alienware GTX 1070
Storage 1TB Samsung 850 EVO
Display(s) 32" LG 1440p
Case Cooler Master 690 (w/Mods)
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium
Power Supply Corsair 750-TX
Mouse Logitech G5
Keyboard G. Skill Mechanical
Software Windows 10 (X64)
Already tried Memtest, that was my first guess

Sorry, somehow I missed that.

Originally Posted by timta2
This post has been added by another user.

Since this is an active topic, this post has been automatically added to the thread while you were reading it. If you are replying to this thread you might want to read this post before doing so.

Wait, what?

I edited the post while you were reading it.

I don't know man, I would start suspecting the motherboard (memory controller) at that point. What brand and model is it?

tgp1994

Hmm.

This is all too weird, though. Don't you think I'd be noticing so many things going wrong as I'm using the computer? This only seems to occur when it boots up.

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
Nah, built it myself, I just can't remember if my motherboard package came with them :( That would be kind of weird, since I think most cases would expect you to install the standoffs, placing the IO panel accordingly, but... I just dunno.
And everything shouldn't be overclocked. I used to, but I'm pretty sure all of the settings are back. In fact, GPU-Z even indicated that I have my GPU memory underclocked.

Your mobo doesnt come with standoffs does not mean that you dont need any

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
first open a side of the case to reduce temp and check if the problem goes away

if it doesn't, drop cpu clock a bit (to reduce memory clock)

if that doesn't help, relax the memory timings big time, run only one stick of memory

only then start reducing gpu and vga memory clock.

running out of suggestions after that .. maybe reinstall windows or strip down to the minimum components or try components one by one in another system

tgp1994

Hmm...

It actually seems like it was a virus.

I was infected a couple of days ago, and literally nuked my computer with every kind of anti virus software known to man kind. I was not in the mood for giving up.

That seems to have done it - I've been able to play games for three days now and not see head nor tail of a BSOD.

Thanks, everyone, for your patience and help!