• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

2 AM2 CPUs, 2 MoBos, none boot up.

rich_gitsch

Help!

I started with a, ECS nForce4M-A (v3.0) w/ AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Switched to Gigabyte GA-M55plus-S3G/2.1 board,
Then switched to AMD Athlon 64X2 4200+

All 4 combinations give me the same POST error message:

CMOS Checksum Error – Defaults loaded
Warning! Now system is in Safe Mode
Please resetting CPU frequency in the CMOS Setup

Press F1 to continue, DELETE to enter CMOS Setup

Memory is (2) Kingston 512MB 533mhz
HDD (2x) WD 80GB

Now what am I supoosed to do?

RG

ktr

first time you powerup any board, you will have to configure the bios...

once configed, then it wont show that any more...

to get in bios, hit Delete...

really just do this, delete, and save & exit

rich_gitsch

first time you powerup any board, you will have to configure the bios...

once configed, then it wont show that any more...

to get in bios, hit Delete...

really just do this, delete, and save & exit

I had already done that. Then system cycles through POST, then off, then POST, then off, then POST, then off...

All the CPU settingds were preset to [Auto]

Rich G.

rich_gitsch

Tried it. No diff.

possibly memory...try using one stick.

Tried this. no difference. On both boards.

I can DOS boot from floppy, HDDs do not appear (Invalid drive specification) - maybe because they are NTFS volumes?

Now where do I look?

RG

ktr

try doing a bios update...maybe the microcode needs to be updated to the newer clocks.

i had a similar problem with a ecs board for a customer and fixed it with a simple update.

rich_gitsch

Did this too

try doing a bios update...maybe the microcode needs to be updated to the newer clocks.

i had a similar problem with a ecs board for a customer and fixed it with a simple update.

I tried this with the ECS board, but the BIOS available from their website was the same version as the board already had. But I tried it anyway.

But to get the same message from 2 brand-new boards makes me wonder what I am missing.

As I try different things, there seems to be some kind of problem with the IDE HDDs. They were in an Intel P4 1.8ghz system, and when I put them back there they work fine. But on the new boards, even when I boot from a DOS floppy, the HDDs are not recognized. Even though they are seen by the BIOS during POST.

rich_gitsch

Windoze problem?

Well, I managed to get a screenshot of a blue-screen flash (it was only there for a flash and gone again - but a time exposure from my camera caught it)

it says:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer..."

How can I migrate disk drives to a new MoBo? Am I stuck with a complete HD disk reformat?

BTW, I am running XP home SP2

RG

Well, I managed to get a screenshot of a blue-screen flash (it was only there for a flash and gone again - but a time exposure from my camera caught it)

it says:

"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer..."

How can I migrate disk drives to a new MoBo? Am I stuck with a complete HD disk reformat?

BTW, I am running XP home SP2

RG

Do a repair install. Basically start setup the normal way and it'll detect your installation, let setup repair your installation and it'll keep all settings and such. You will have to reïnstall patches/servicepacks though.

rich_gitsch

Do a repair install. Basically start setup the normal way and it'll detect your installation, let setup repair your installation and it'll keep all settings and such. You will have to reïnstall patches/servicepacks though.

Ummmm Do I need to start (boot) from floppy or CD? It won't boot from the HD.

RG

Athlon2K15

HyperVtX™
Processor Intel Core i9 11900K
Motherboard MSI Z590 Carbon EK X
Cooling Custom Water
Memory Team DDR4 4000MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF RTX 3080 OC
Storage WD WN850 1TB
Display(s) 43" LG NanoCell 4K 120Hz
Power Supply Asus Thor 1200w
Mouse Asus Strix Evolve
Keyboard Asus Strix Claymore
the windows xp cd is what you want to start with..it wil go through the loading drivers section and then u just select the appropriate key for repair

rich_gitsch

the windows xp cd is what you want to start with..it wil go through the loading drivers section and then u just select the appropriate key for repair

I'm assuming I set the BIOS to boot from the CD first. Correct?

RG

WarEagleAU

Bird of Prey
System Name Pandemic 2020
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 "Gen 2" 2600X
Motherboard AsRock X470 Killer Promontory
Cooling CoolerMaster 240 RGB Master Cooler (Newegg Eggxpert)
Memory 32 GB Geil EVO Portenza DDR4 3200 MHz
Video Card(s) ASUS Radeon RX 580 DirectX 12 DUAL-RX580-O8G 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video C
Storage WD 250 M.2, Corsair P500 M.2, OCZ Trion 500, WD Black 1TB, Assorted others.
Display(s) ASUS MG24UQ Gaming Monitor - 23.6" 4K UHD (3840x2160) , IPS, Adaptive Sync, DisplayWidget
Case Fractal Define R6 C
Audio Device(s) Realtek 5.1 Onboard
Power Supply Corsair RMX 850 Platinum PSU (Newegg Eggxpert)
Mouse Razer Death Adder
Keyboard Corsair K95 Mechanical & Corsair K65 Wired, Wireless, Bluetooth)
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Yes, set it to boot CD as the first boot sector. (Always have it set to this, just to make sure there is no problem with your disc drive.) then, when you restart, it will load up the windows disk. It will have several options and one will be a repair instead of a fresh install. Try this, if it doesnt work, and moving your memory around in the slots doesnt help, you may have to do a fresh install of windows. However, I recommend moving those files to a dvd as backup. So, anyways, hopefully things will go alright. Any BSODS from new mobo installs have been either memory for myself or the raid drivers....hopefully yours is neither and just a simple conflict. Good luck.

-The Eagle

rich_gitsch

Yes, set it to boot CD as the first boot sector. (Always have it set to this, just to make sure there is no problem with your disc drive.) then, when you restart, it will load up the windows disk. It will have several options and one will be a repair instead of a fresh install. Try this, if it doesnt work, and moving your memory around in the slots doesnt help, you may have to do a fresh install of windows. However, I recommend moving those files to a dvd as backup. So, anyways, hopefully things will go alright. Any BSODS from new mobo installs have been either memory for myself or the raid drivers....hopefully yours is neither and just a simple conflict. Good luck.

-The Eagle

well, I'm at what looks like a DOS prompt. I have the system doing a CHKDSK/R on the boot disk. Waiting to see what comes of it.

RG

rich_gitsch

well, I'm at what looks like a DOS prompt. I have the system doing a CHKDSK/R on the boot disk. Waiting to see what comes of it.

RG

Well, it passed the CHKDSK, but still won't boot. What next, short of a full reinstall of win XP?