• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Great success thanks 2 u - still need a little help please

It's completely legal and free provided you already own a license. The files are direct from Microsuck. What matters is that your key works for the version of the win7 installer you download. I'm not sure if your key is specific to the upgrade disc and will not work with any of the files linked on that page.

Also, I can't figure out what you mean when you say "partition block".

I was stuck in the win 7 set-up on the partition section but took a tip from this thread and deleted the partition. This allowed me to create a new partition (lifting the "grey out" from the "new" option) and I was able to get all the way up to the key entry. I am going to try to get back to the key entry part one more time and enter the OEM key from another computer. If no luck there, I'm off to Directron for the last piece of this puzzle. I can't thank ALL OF you enough for your tips and help!

:toast:

System Name Homelabs
Processor Ryzen 5900x | Ryzen 1920X
Motherboard Asus ProArt x570 Creator | AsRock X399 fatal1ty gaming
Cooling Silent Loop 2 280mm | Dark Rock Pro TR4
Memory 128GB (4x32gb) DDR4 3600Mhz | 128GB (8x16GB) DDR4 2933Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3080 | ASUS Strix GTX 970
Storage Optane 900p + NVMe | Optane 900p + 8TB SATA SSDs + 48TB HDDs
Display(s) Alienware AW3423dw QD-OLED | HP Omen 32 1440p
Case be quiet! Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2 | be quiet! Silent Base 800
Power Supply Corsair RM750x + sleeved cables| EVGA P2 750W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite, Pro Type | Logitech G915 TKL

cadaveca

My name is Dave
OK, so the problem now is that your motherboard's drive controller isn't supported by the OS install disk(how it is, for AMD). You need to create a disk/thumbdrive with the AHCI drivers before you can install the OS, or switch the drive controller to "IDE" mode. This is why it was having issues creating the partition to install the OS.

Then, you can install Win7 without the key. instal a lower version that what your key is for. Then, from the Win7 desktop, put Win7 disc in drive, and "upgrade" to the version you paid for.

System Name Homelabs
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate (still has buttons on the right side, crucial as I'm a southpaw)
Thanks n-ster

Got the OEM - I will try it right now and brb...

np (there is a :) Thanks button for that :p)

Hope everything works out

streetfighter 2

I was stuck in the win 7 set-up on the partition section but took a tip from this thread and deleted the partition. This allowed me to create a new partition (lifting the "grey out" from the "new" option) and I was able to get all the way up to the key entry.

Thanks for clearing that up.

It's not a "partition block" per se. Windows 7 does not like to be installed into an existing partition (to prevent installing an OS directly over another). Consequently you have to delete a partition to get "unpartitioned space" which Windows 7 will install into without complaint provided it's big enough.

Here, this one works great: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

please dont waste 100$, I hate seeing people waste 100$
Pardon me being an idiot but whats the point of that?

OK, so the problem now is that your motherboard's drive controller isn't supported by the OS install disk(how it is, for AMD). You need to create a disk/thumbdrive with the AHCI drivers before you can install the OS, or switch the drive controller to "IDE" mode. This is why it was having issues creating the partition to install the OS.
By OS install disc I assume you mean Windows XP disc. The Windows 7 disc, by contrast, already has AHCI drivers and installs fine on every modern chipset I've tried. Slipstreaming drivers may be non-trivial for Thlorian as it does involve several steps and often the use of tools like nLite. On the other hand switching the controller to IDE mode is a decent fix to the problem (IMO).

If you don't mind here's my thoughts on the topic:
-Older 'upgrade' discs (XP & 2000 amongst them) only asked for a previous Windows disc before doing a proper fresh install
-Newer 'upgrade' discs (Vista and 7) need a HD with an installed version of Winblows
-He has a full 2000, an XP upgrade and a Win7 Upgrade disc
Therefore I would switch the controller to IDE, install XP and use the 2000 disc to get the installer to pass the 'upgrade' test. Then I would switch the controller back to AHCI then run the Windows 7 upgrade disc and it will see that XP is installed so it will (presumably) work without any hitches. Done.

Where did I go wrong?

System Name Homelabs
He wants a W7 key from one of his HP machines, so he uses that program to find out?

System Name Homelabs
Well, I had tried the Belarc to see if it works for me and it did, so thought it had a good chance for him :p

Then, you can install Win7 without the key. instal a lower version that what your key is for. Then, from the Win7 desktop, put Win7 disc in drive, and "upgrade" to the version you paid for.

Ok thanks cadaveca - How do I do this:

"switch the drive controller to "IDE" mode"

Is this done in the BIOS and it will work even though all connections are SATA?

Thanks

System Name Homelabs
I believe that resetting CMOS automatically sets it to IDE mode, so I'm pretty sure your are in IDE mode atm

Could you fill out your System Specs please?

Thanks for clearing that up.

It's not a "partition block" per se. Windows 7 does not like to be installed into an existing partition (to prevent installing an OS directly over another). Consequently you have to delete a partition to get "unpartitioned space" which Windows 7 will install into without complaint provided it's big enough.

Pardon me being an idiot but whats the point of that?

By OS install disc I assume you mean Windows XP disc. The Windows 7 disc, by contrast, already has AHCI drivers and installs fine on every modern chipset I've tried. Slipstreaming drivers may be non-trivial for Thlorian as it does involve several steps and often the use of tools like nLite. On the other hand switching the controller to IDE mode is a decent fix to the problem (IMO).

If you don't mind here's my thoughts on the topic:
-Older 'upgrade' discs (XP & 2000 amongst them) only asked for a previous Windows disc before doing a proper fresh install
-Newer 'upgrade' discs (Vista and 7) need a HD with an installed version of Winblows
-He has a full 2000, an XP upgrade and a Win7 Upgrade disc
Therefore I would switch the controller to IDE, install XP and use the 2000 disc to get the installer to pass the 'upgrade' test. Then I would switch the controller back to AHCI then run the Windows 7 upgrade disc and it will see that XP is installed so it will (presumably) work without any hitches. Done.

Where did I go wrong?

Ok thanks - So next step before throwing $100 out the "window" (no pun intended) is to go into my BIOS and somehow figure out how to switch something related to my HD to IDE mode (instead of SATA mode?). Then reboot with the Win XP upgrade disc intact. When the XP upgrade disk asks me to pass the upgrade test, I will pop the Windows NT disk in, then proceed to install xp upgrade. When xp is done, I will go back into the BIOS and reverse the IDE switch above. Then install win7 upgrade. If I missed anything, plmk....and thanks-thanks-thanks!!

I would just commence drinking...:laugh:

lol - No that was two weeks ago when I thought I had fried everything up. Now I am determined as a newbie to get this up and running and I am very close! Yes, I bought another HP system but my wife ended up taking it as her xmas gift because she needs one so that worked out ok. So my loss here is only that I have a brand new extra gigabyte board that I will probably just sell at a good discount to someone here on this great site (if that is allowable pursuant to forum rules)....

System Name Homelabs
Yes it is allowed, and please fill in our System specs and check yes to "show it to everyone"

not much point in AHCI unless you have an SSD IMO, and still, you could install in IDE mode and switch it to AHCI through registry and BIOS

streetfighter 2

So next step before throwing $100 out the "window" (no pun intended) is to go into my BIOS and somehow figure out how to switch something related to my HD to IDE mode (instead of SATA mode?).

Pretty much. In order to increase compatibility many SATA controllers have a mode called IDE mode or IDE Emulation mode. This has the advantage that it works with software not designed for the newer AHCI mode but the disadvantage of not having new features like hot-swap and NCQ.

Your SATA controller may also have a mode for RAID and combinations of RAID, IDE and AHCI. I'd like to show you exactly which option to change and what value to set it as in the BIOS but unfortunately I have to go run some errands so it'll have to wait till later. (I'm betting someone else will be able to do it before I get a chance.)

Then reboot with the Win XP upgrade disc intact. When the XP upgrade disk asks me to pass the upgrade test, I will pop the Windows NT disk in, then proceed to install xp upgrade. When xp is done, I will go back into the BIOS and reverse the IDE switch above. Then install win7 upgrade. If I missed anything, plmk....and thanks-thanks-thanks!!

That's what I'd do. I can't think of a reason it won't work.

streetfighter 2

The whole kit and caboodle.

Before I begin though do you have a Windows 2000 disc or an NT disk (note the clever switch of the last letter)? If all you have is an NT diskette I don't think that will work. If you have a Windows 2000 disc I'm pretty sure that will work.

You can see here it says that your SATA ports default to IDE mode so it should already work with your XP disc:

If you want to change the mode simply read over this:

These instructions were taken from the ASUS M4A78T-E Manual.

Attachments

• sata_mode.jpg
    sata_mode.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 415
  • sata_ports.jpg
    sata_ports.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 408
Thanks Folks - I have a Win NT disk and it did not work so I ordered the Win 7 OEM disk and will pick up tomorrow. Thanks everyone for all your help and I learned quite a bit from this!

System Name Homelabs
Just FYI, Win 7 Pro has XP backwards compatibility

Processor INTEL CORE I9-9900K @ 5Ghz all core 4.7Ghz Cache @1.305 volts
Motherboard ASUS PRIME Z390-P ATX
Cooling CORSAIR HYDRO H150I PRO RGB 360MM 6x120mm fans push pull
Memory CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3000Mhz 4x8 32gb @ 4000Mhz
Video Card(s) EVGA GEFORECE RTX 2080 SUPER XC HYBRID GAMING
Storage ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe,Intel 660p 1TB m.2 ,1TB WD Blue 3D NAND,500GB WD Blue 3D NAND,
Display(s) 50" Sharp Roku TV 8ms responce time and Philips 75Hz 328E9QJAB 32" curved
Case BLACK LIAN LI O11 DYNAMIC XL FULL-TOWER GAMING CASE,
Power Supply 1600 Watt
Software Windows 10
if you had a Windows 7 Upgrade CD and Valid Key ...alls you needed to do is call MS (free) and tell em that your hdd WAS REPLACED or your mobo cuz of failure and that you did not install the original OS and they will give you the method and key to make the upgrade version install like the full version...I have done this a few more times than I would have liked too..lol:toast:

Hello all! Just wanted to thank you all again as my system is up and running smoothly. I'll be oc'ing the black edition 965 this weekend, as well as the MSI 5570 vid card and can't wait! It cost me a bit more through this project but I learned quite a bit of tech stuff and got my wife's xmas present out of the way to boot!

Thanks again!

CDdude55

Crazy 4 TPU!!!
System Name CDdude's Rig!
Processor AMD Athlon II X4 620
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Cooling Corsair H70
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence @1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX HD 6970 2GB
Storage OCZ Agility 3 60GB SSD/WD Velociraptor 300GB
Display(s) ASUS VH232H 23" 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master CM690 (w/ side window)
Audio Device(s) Onboard (It sounds fine)
Power Supply Corsair 850TX
Software Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SP1
Hello all! Just wanted to thank you all again as my system is up and running smoothly. I'll be oc'ing the black edition 965 this weekend, as well as the MSI 5570 vid card and can't wait! It cost me a bit more through this project but I learned quite a bit of tech stuff and got my wife's xmas present out of the way to boot!

Thanks again!

Congrats on getting the system working!!!:)