• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Fallout 3 GoTY at super bargain price

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Ok, new update 01DEC10: It's now only £19.99 on Steam. I'm rushing off to buy it now! :D

Another update: And only £10.99 from Gameplay, but I don't think this is the Steam version. Thanks Black Panther ;) in post 18. UPDATE FROM BP: It's not the Steam version. Just the discs and all the DLCs. And the patch to go with it.

IMPORTANT EDIT/WARNING: I've just received my copy of Fallout 3 GoTY. On looking at the back of the box, it doesn't refer to the Steam subscriber agreement. Therefore this is not a Steam game, which means it has all the usual DRM shit in it <spit> which I boycott.

I checked on the Steam FAQ which lists all the non-Steam games which can be registered on Steam and this is not one of them.

I'm returning this asap. Buy this only if you don't mind it not being on Steam. I guess there had to be a reason for the low price. :ohwell:

You can buy it direct from Steam for the reassuringly premium price of £29.99 or get it from Amazon UK for the princely sum of just £11.99. I've bought it off Amazon myself just now. :D

You can also get it for $29.24 from Amazon USA, but I don't know if this is a good price compared to Steam in US dollars.

This offer will be handy for anyone that wants to upgrade their original Fallout 3 (like me) to the GoTY edition without paying for it all over again, or someone that just wants to buy a grade A game at a bargain price.

Interestingly, the Steam product page now has the original Fallout 3 listed again and gives you the option of buying all the DLCs separately, where all five will cost you the same as the GoTY edition. Go figure.

Last edited:

gunsmoke

System Name OLD SCHOOL
Processor E6300 1.8 Gig
Motherboard ASUS P5VD2-X rev 0501
Cooling air
Memory 1 x 512 ddr2 1 x 1024 dd2
Video Card(s) ATI hd 3870 PCI-E
Storage 200 Gig ide/ 160 ide / 80 ide / 160 sata
Display(s) samsung
Case Thermaltake Armor Case VA8000
Audio Device(s) on bored
Power Supply 560w silverstone
Software win 7 32 bit
Benchmark Scores no time for benchmarking
You can buy it direct from Steam for the reassuringly premium price of £29.99 or get it from Amazon UK for the princely sum of just £11.99. I've bought it off Amazon myself just now. :D

You can also get it for $29.24 from Amazon USA, but I don't know if this is a good price compared to Steam in US dollars.

This offer will be handy for anyone that wants to upgrade their original Fallout 3 (like me) to the GoTY edition without paying for it all over again, or someone that just wants to buy a grade A game at a bargain price.

Interestingly, the Steam product page now has the original Fallout 3 listed again and gives you the option of buying all the DLCs separately, where all five will cost you the same as the GoTY edition. Go figure.

Fallout 3 was the best game i played in years on my 360 till i got the rrod :mad:
And no xbox live two get the add on maps
2 weeks game play i got from this game loved every bit of it all :rockout:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Yeah, I'm with ya. It is excellent.

That's why at £11.99 it's such a super bargain. :rockout: I will be getting New Vegas soon, perhaps wait a bit longer for the bugs to be ironed out.

Did you ever get your xbox sorted out?

gunsmoke

System Name OLD SCHOOL
Processor E6300 1.8 Gig
Motherboard ASUS P5VD2-X rev 0501
Cooling air
Memory 1 x 512 ddr2 1 x 1024 dd2
Video Card(s) ATI hd 3870 PCI-E
Storage 200 Gig ide/ 160 ide / 80 ide / 160 sata
Display(s) samsung
Case Thermaltake Armor Case VA8000
Audio Device(s) on bored
Power Supply 560w silverstone
Software win 7 32 bit
Benchmark Scores no time for benchmarking
Yeah, I'm with ya. It is excellent.

That's why at £11.99 it's a super bargain. :rockout:

Did you ever get your xbox sorted out?

rrod=trash it i no the score on them 360s lol

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Bump - for anyone that hasn't seen this thread and is interested in this bargain.

System Name Devil's Canyon PC build
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-G1 Gaming WIFI-BK
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Black Edition Air Cooler, 2x Akasa 120mm PWN Piranha Fans (push-pull config)
Memory Patriot Viper 3 "Black Mamba" 32GB (4x8GB), 2133MHz, C11-11-11-30, 1.5v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce X3 GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 (Non-Pascal)
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 8TB Archive HDD, 2TB Samsung M9T HDD
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift 27" 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower - Black, 3x230mm Bitfenix SPECTRE PRO, 1x120mm Bitfenix PWN (SP)
Power Supply Seasonic 660W Platinum Certified Modular
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64

I had a similar bargain for that in Game, I brought the Fallout 3 GoTY Edition along with COD World at War (both games were new and sealed) for £25 (they were on a two for £25 offer) so for each game it was £12.50 which isn't much different from what you paid. :)

I'm surprised though that Steam has left the exact game at it's first release price and that the same is with the first version which requires the individual DLCs (which are also priced at their first release price). I guess from other examples I've seen myself it is clear that Steam is a client which is biased for different countries unfortunately when it comes to the prices of games. :(

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
Even though I have had massive problems with my retail copy of GoTY Edition I would still recommend it as one of the greatest game I've ever played.

Hated Oblivion, loved this.

:D

Good for a Crimbo present ay?

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Not worth it imo.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I had a similar bargain for that in Game, I brought the Fallout 3 GoTY Edition along with COD World at War (both games were new and sealed) for £25 (they were on a two for £25 offer) so for each game it was £12.50 which isn't much different from what you paid. :)

I'm surprised though that Steam has left the exact game at it's first release price and that the same is with the first version which requires the individual DLCs (which are also priced at their first release price). I guess from other examples I've seen myself it is clear that Steam is a client which is biased for different countries unfortunately when it comes to the prices of games. :(

Yeah, I like those multibuy deals too. I wanted to get the new Fallout and CoD together from Game because the price was good, but they stupidly only had bundle prices for the consoles. And they say the PC games market is "dying"... :rolleyes:

Steam: yes, the prices there are quite the rippoff, often selling for the full price, when everywhere else sells the game at a significant discount - my Fallout 3 example in the OP is a perfect example of this.

The only time worth buying off Steam is when they have a sale on, which often gives a good discount, or if the game is only available on Steam and the price doesn't look too high.

Darrel

I have been eyeing this up for about a month now, just havent been able to make my mind up since the console version was extremely buggy. I feared the PC version could be 10x worse. Can anyone clear this up?:confused:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
I have been eyeing this up for about a month now, just havent been able to make my mind up since the console version was extremely buggy. I feared the PC version could be 10x worse. Can anyone clear this up?:confused:

Buy it, you won't be disappointed by bugs, my friend. :)

I played this many months ago, when there were more bugs in and I never saw anything too serious. With the patches they've applied since then, it's even better.

I can only give you a general assurance. If you want more nitty gritty, then google for it using terms such as "fallout 3 bugs", "fallout 3 problems" and see what you find.

If you find forum posts complaining about faults, then make a mental note of how long ago they were posted and if the same fault seems to be cropping up in several places. If it's just isolated incidents some time back, then don't worry about them.

There's lots of things that can trip up a game. In particular, do the following basics and you will be all right:

Install the latest graphics drivers.

Install the latest sound drivers.

Install the latest DirectX runtime from Microsoft. They release one every couple of months or so.

Install all the latest patches for Windows using Microsoft Update.

Watch out for interference from your internet security software.

If you see problems, post on TPU or the dedicated Fallout 3 forum at Bethesda.

Enjoy the game!! :toast:

rrod=trash it i no the score on them 360s lol

Looking at your system specs, you should get reasonable performance from this game. If anything, I'd replace the graphics card with a more modern one, as those 3870s weren't even that fast in their day. A nice modern nvidia (my preference) or AMD will see you right. :)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
This is NOT a Steam game. Check out post 1 for the details.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes

InnocentCriminal

Resident Grammar Amender
System Name BeeR 6
Processor Intel Core i7 3770K*
Motherboard ASUS Maximus V Gene (1155/Z77)
Cooling Corsair H100i
Memory 16GB Samsung Green 1600MHz DDR3**
Video Card(s) 4GB MSI Gaming X RX480
Storage 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD
Display(s) 27" Samsung C27F591FDU
Case Fractal Design Arc Mini
Power Supply Corsair HX750W
Software 64bit Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores *@ 4.6GHz **@ 2133MHz
WAHEY!

My GF has admitted to buying me New Vegas for Crimbo.

Stak

System Name nGigabyte GTX-58 Blue Flash
Processor Intel Core I7 920 @3.885 (3.7 with turbo)
Motherboard Gigayte EX-58 UD3R
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2
Memory Kingston Value Ram DDR3 @1800 Mhz 6Gb
Video Card(s) MSI N470GTX OC 751/1501
Storage WD 640 GB 7200 rpm
Display(s) LG Flatron LW207
Case Antec 902 with cooler master extra side panel fan(blue led)
Audio Device(s) on board HD
Power Supply Cooler Master gold 800W
Software Win 7 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Above avg
Ok, new update 01DEC10: It's now only £19.99 on Steam. I'm rushing off to buy it now! :D

IMPORTANT EDIT/WARNING: I've just received my copy of Fallout 3 GoTY. On looking at the back of the box, it doesn't refer to the Steam subscriber agreement. Therefore this is not a Steam game, which means it has all the usual DRM shit in it <spit> which I boycott.

I checked on the Steam FAQ which lists all the non-Steam games which can be registered on Steam and this is not one of them.

I'm returning this asap. Buy this only if you don't mind it not being on Steam. I guess there had to be a reason for the low price. :ohwell:

lol i just bought this game almost a week ago. for 49.99 :(.
lol just had a conversation. with some CoD lovers, while i was playing this game, and they were comparing it with CoD. they said thing like "wow at CoD you would have died a lot earlier how lame is this game" and "why does the game freeze while selecting weapons? how lame". and other lame stuff they said im not going to name it here now. some ppl are just *facepalm*

anyway

this game is kickass and better mo fun than fallout new vegas. still i think F3 needs lot more weapons, as it has much less weapons than FNV. and no iron sight is annoying :(. but gameplay is more balanced (no extremely op guns). map is way cooler. and the DLC are good (warning: they are also a lot harder than the original game). more super mutants to kill :D

GET IT now

Last edited:

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
Just to counter the love: I would not spend a dime on Fallout 3. One of the most overrated games there is.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Just to counter the love: I would not spend a dime on Fallout 3. One of the most overrated games there is.

Meh... it's one of the best games there is! :p
Seriously though, hours of gameplay, tons of ways to roleplay and even more tons of mods...

And from www.gameplay.co.uk it's only £10.99

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Added to post 1. :D

Stak

System Name nGigabyte GTX-58 Blue Flash
Processor Intel Core I7 920 @3.885 (3.7 with turbo)
Motherboard Gigayte EX-58 UD3R
Cooling Scythe Mugen 2
Memory Kingston Value Ram DDR3 @1800 Mhz 6Gb
Video Card(s) MSI N470GTX OC 751/1501
Storage WD 640 GB 7200 rpm
Display(s) LG Flatron LW207
Case Antec 902 with cooler master extra side panel fan(blue led)
Audio Device(s) on board HD
Power Supply Cooler Master gold 800W
Software Win 7 64 bit
Benchmark Scores Above avg
Meh... it's one of the best games there is! :p
Seriously though, hours of gameplay, tons of ways to roleplay and even more tons of mods...

And from www.gameplay.co.uk it's only £10.99

yeah im walking now with a power sword (have more weapons of that game too)_ and an apothecary armor/helmet/backpack (warhammer 40K). with hd textures and a nice sunglare. (also got maybe a 100 diffrent types of 20th and 21th century weapons. but some dont work correctly but most of them do! :D

http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5885
http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=5059
http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=555
http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=8069

some of the mods i use :)

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Mouse Logitech G602
Software Windows 10 Pro
System Name Dire Wolf IV
Processor Intel Core i9 14900K
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX Z790-I GAMING WIFI
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280
Memory 2x24GB Corsair DDR5 6667
Video Card(s) NVIDIA RTX4080 FE
Storage AORUS Gen4 7300 1TB + Western Digital SN750 500GB
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DWF (QD-OLED, 3440x1440, 165hz)
Case Corsair Airflow 2000D
Power Supply Corsair SF1000L
Mouse Razer Deathadder Essential
Keyboard Chuangquan CQ84
Software Windows 11 Professional

Agreed. Way overrated.

System Name Black Panther
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO Wifi 1.0
Cooling NZXT Kraken X72 360mm
Memory 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3600Mhz
Video Card(s) Palit RTX2080 Ti Dual 11GB DDR6
Storage Samsung EVO 970 500GB SSD M.2 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm
Display(s) 32'' Gigabyte G32QC 2560x1440 165Hz
Case NZXT H710i Black
Audio Device(s) Razer Electra V2 & Z5500 Speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850 Gold 80+
Mouse Some Corsair lost the box forgot the model
Keyboard Motospeed
Software Windows 10
Another update: And only £10.99 from Gameplay, but I don't think this is the Steam version. Thanks Black Panther ;) in post 18.

I confirm it's not Steam version, just the diskettes & all DLC's.

And I disagree with Frick & Yukikaze :) but well it depends on one's tastes - one man's meat is another man's poison ;)

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Hey Frick & Yukikaze, please don't crap my thread with negative comments about the game and potentially start a flame war.

This thread is for people who love this game (eg yours truly) and want to help others to get it at a good price and that is all.

Feel free to make those sort of comments in a separate thread about the merits of the game.

Thanks. ;)

System Name Devil's Canyon PC build
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-G1 Gaming WIFI-BK
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems Black Edition Air Cooler, 2x Akasa 120mm PWN Piranha Fans (push-pull config)
Memory Patriot Viper 3 "Black Mamba" 32GB (4x8GB), 2133MHz, C11-11-11-30, 1.5v
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Windforce X3 GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5 (Non-Pascal)
Storage Samsung 850 PRO 512GB SSD, 1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, Seagate 8TB Archive HDD, 2TB Samsung M9T HDD
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift 27" 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D Midi Tower - Black, 3x230mm Bitfenix SPECTRE PRO, 1x120mm Bitfenix PWN (SP)
Power Supply Seasonic 660W Platinum Certified Modular
Software Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64
Truth be told when I first played the game on my birthday (which was on 25th November, only a week ago) I didn't like it at first as it was piss easy to get killed and there were opportunities I missed out on too, but after a few restarts and the more I played the better the game became for me and that is how I became to like the game. ^^

The one thing I would recommend people to do if they have this game on hard copy for PC would be to download the update to prevent the freezes since the freezes do occur frequently after long hours of gaming and it can ruin the overall personal experience you get from playing the game.

Here is the link to the update:
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/downloads/updates.html

Compared to COD I would like to say this game is better as with Fallout 3's content there is more to explore such as different places and also the different weapons and armour that can be found, obtained or made. The real reason I prefer Fallout 3 is that it isn't like COD where you spend £40 or more for the game (depends on the edition you get) when it's first released only to find that you completed the game on the same day (around 6 hours or less) you brought it!

However, I do understand why COD players wouldn't like the game as it is more of a complicated game when you take in account the whole survival element of the game and they would probably be spooked out when they play the game and end up in the bottom of a vault with a gun(s) with no ammo and a load of insane vault residents with lead pipes, knifes and swords. :D