• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Please recommend me a new sound system! :)

System Name PC
Processor i5 3570k
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H
Cooling Stock
Memory 8GB Corsair 1600mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 7870
Storage 120GB Kingston SSD, 2TB HDD
Display(s) Sony 32" HDTV
Case Corsair 230T
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar D1
Power Supply Corsair 500W
Software Windows 8 64bit
Hello there,

I really don't know much when it comes to sound systems. For the past couple of years, I've been using a JVC MX GT88 stereo to output my computer's sound. This sure beats the crappy, tinny little PC speakers I was using before; it's quite an old stereo though, probably about 8 years. I input the sound through a basic minijack to rca cable.

Thing is, there are a few problems. Firstly, I'd also like to route my TV's sound through it, although so far I haven't got a better method than literally unplugging the mini jack end of the RCA cable from the PC and putting it into the monitor, and vice versa. I tried once using a minijack splitter, although that ruined the sound quality; I don't know if I was doing it wrong or if the splitter was rubbish. :rolleyes:

So my second thought is if I would benefit from something with more inputs, particularly as my PC's sound card has a lot more outputs than I'm currently using, including optical I believe. Then hopefully this may increase the sound quality of my PC but still have an extra input for my TV, making it a lot easier to switch.

Last issue is that the stereo technically isn't mine, it's borrowed from a family member, and whereas they haven't wanted it back thus far, it would be nice to actually own one myself. The problem is though, I would like something with equal or better sound quality, but I want to be spending as little money as possible ideally. If it's going to cost a lot to not downgrade, then I'll just have to stick with what I have and hope the person doesn't want their stereo back :D

If anyone who knows what they're talking about could advise me, I would be very grateful. The stereo takes cds and tapes but I really don't use these much anymore, particularly the latter :laugh: so if it's literally a sound system you recommend that's fine.

Thanks in advance; I'm from the UK btw so UK links would be appreciated, but American links are still fine to give me an impression.

System Name Majestic Command 3.0
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro 4
Cooling Corsair water loop
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix DDR4
Video Card(s) RX 5600 XT
Storage 1TB WD Black SN750 M.2, a home server
Display(s) Asus VG249Q
Case Darkflash DLM22 - black
Audio Device(s) X-Fi HD>AT-HA25D>FR-N71X
Power Supply EVGA 600W standard
Mouse Razer Mamba Elite
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma TE
Software Windows 10
What's your budget? Would you be looking for something like a receiver and separate speakers, a HTIB (home theater in a box), or a mini/shelf system?

robn

Processor i7 920 @ 3520MHz locked on 1.04V, all features on
Motherboard Biostar T-Power x58 + ASUS U3S6 + Broadcom WiFi
Cooling Akasa Nero S on the i7 + 2 Akasa Apache case fans
Memory 24Gig Kingston HyperX DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX GTX260 216 XT
Storage 240Gig SanDisk SSD, 750Gig Spinpoint F1
Display(s) BenQ E2200HD
Case Coolermaster Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Realtek(!) with M-Audio AV40 + Wharfedale SW150
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650
Software Win7 64 Pro / Fedora KDE
Benchmark Scores wPrime 32M 7.265sec - 3DMark2001 57673 - Intel Linpack 50.6237 GFlops
Ok, how much can you spend?

Seems you will definitely want to go the separate amp route, for multiple inputs. You'll need an amp and a pair of speakers at least. That's around £130 at least for something of reliable quality.

Maybe Pioneer A109 for under £100

and these speakers

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
could u little bit specific like what kind system d u want, 2.1, 5.1 dolby, thx or something, your budget too, altec lansing offers many type too, or if you kinda enthusiast you could use home theater spec

System Name PC
Processor i5 3570k
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) XFX 7870
Display(s) Sony 32" HDTV
Case Corsair 230T
Software Windows 8 64bit
Hi there,

Sorry I gave so few details. As I said, I really am a noob when it comes to this :p I suppose I want to be spending no more than about £200ish. It's vital I get something that's of equal or better quality, but I don't really know how to compare specs to find out how good my current system is :confused:

As for the type of system it is, I'm not too picky. It's ok if it's reasonably large as I have a decent space on my desk (current speakers are about 22cm W x 50cm H x 29cm deep each, with stereo unit itself underneath). That said, I won't really have room for a 5.1 arrangement etc. unless the speakers are small (and then will they be worse quality?) so a 2.1, just 2 speakers and the amp/whatever would be good.

My main usage is for music from my PC, and video games from my PC and game consoles. I also sometimes play Blurays from my PS3. Sorry, I really wish I could be more useful and tell you guys exactly what I'm after.

Thanks for your help so far :)

TheMonkey

System Name Space Heater/BitPerfect
Processor E8500@4.5 1.42V
Motherboard DFI Blood Iron P35
Cooling Xigmatek "Thor's hammer" HDT-S126384
Memory 2x2GB Mushkin PC2 6400 (996557) 5-4-4-11
Video Card(s) ATi 5870
Storage Samsung F1 1tb x2
Display(s) Hanns*G HG-281DPB (1920x1200)
Case Lian-Li PC-6070A PLUSII
Audio Device(s) AuzentechXplosion-->SPDIF-->TubeMagicD1 DAC/PRE-->MCS 3865 dual-mono Integrated Amp-->DCM QEDs
Power Supply PCP&C 750
Software Win7/XPsp3/Win2k3Serverx64
Ok, how much can you spend?

Seems you will definitely want to go the separate amp route, for multiple inputs. You'll need an amp and a pair of speakers at least. That's around £130 at least for something of reliable quality.

Maybe Pioneer A109 for under £100

and these speakers

I think this is the correct route to go for sound quality, although I would instead try to find local stereo gear. More often than not you can find older high-end stereo gear for killer prices because everyone seems to have "moved on" to lower quality surround receiver units.

I have a "budget grade" audiophile setup that I will probably never replace as I have found my audio-bliss. Great sound is all about synergy between the components, if possible look for local garage/yard sales or local classifieds and try to listen to some speakers before you buy. I have heard some incredible speakers that just aren't my cup of tea, making sure you enjoy the sound is very important.

If you choose to buy a new amp before buying speakers you have the opportunity to take your amp with you when you audition speakers. The resulting sound will depend on your amps design and capabilities so hearing speakers you may buy through someone else's amp is usually not the best idea. Don't just buy the speakers with the best reviews or because your best friend said they rock... everyone is unique and your taste in sound will be unique as well.

If funds are available later down the road it may also be a good investment to buy a quality DAC. There are endless choices for Digital Analog Conversion and chances are you won't be able to hear a DAC hooked up before you buy so may I suggest the Maverick Audio Tube Magic D1. It is great for the PC user offering USB/Coaxial/Optical inputs and solidstate+tube outputs to cater to your preferences. This would allow you to connect your TV and PC at the same time with a convenient selector knob and master volume knob. The tubemagicD1 is quite reasonably priced at $150 so about E110 I would guess, and could be a nice little upgrade down the road.

Last edited:
System Name Dream Weaver
Processor Ryzen 5600
Motherboard B450 MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling NH-D14
Memory 16GB Flare X @ 3200MHz CL14
Video Card(s) Sapphire Vega 64 Nitro+
Storage 500GB evo 970 m.2 + 4TB HDDs
Display(s) ASUS 27" 1440p 144hz FreeSync
Case Fractal Design Define R3
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Software Windows 10 x64
System Name PC
Processor i5 3570k
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) XFX 7870
Display(s) Sony 32" HDTV
Case Corsair 230T
Software Windows 8 64bit
Thankyou. Those speakers look rather good, and what's better is that they supposedly have 'em instock at my nearby Superfi. Definitely worth a look methinks :)

robn

Processor i7 920 @ 3520MHz locked on 1.04V, all features on
Motherboard Biostar T-Power x58 + ASUS U3S6 + Broadcom WiFi
Cooling Akasa Nero S on the i7 + 2 Akasa Apache case fans
Memory 24Gig Kingston HyperX DDR3
Video Card(s) XFX GTX260 216 XT
Storage 240Gig SanDisk SSD, 750Gig Spinpoint F1
Display(s) BenQ E2200HD
Case Coolermaster Elite 334
Audio Device(s) Realtek(!) with M-Audio AV40 + Wharfedale SW150
Power Supply Antec EarthWatts 650
Software Win7 64 Pro / Fedora KDE
Benchmark Scores wPrime 32M 7.265sec - 3DMark2001 57673 - Intel Linpack 50.6237 GFlops
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2197

These speakers +plus a good amp + sub sound awesome.

I recently upgraed from an old all in 1 system and the difference in SQ is amazing!

Just do a lot of research beforehand so you know you're getting the best for your cash, nothing worse than buyer's remorse!

Coincidentally I bought the Wharfedale Diamond SW150 sub from superfi (online, free delivery) just over a week ago. Really pleased so far. It is a subtle sub, and extends right through to sub-bass (you can see + feel the driver moving, but barely hear it)!

Anyhow, as has been said listen to equipment in store before parting with money ...all the advice you need really since "good" sound is a matter of taste.

System Name PC
Processor i5 3570k
Cooling Stock
Video Card(s) XFX 7870
Display(s) Sony 32" HDTV
Case Corsair 230T
Software Windows 8 64bit
Shame this is probably a bit over my budget, i.e. with the Amp posted earlier, and the SW150 and the speakers bundle it would come to over £300 :( This looks exactly what I'm looking for really. Oh well, I'll have to have a think... the SW150 is instock at my local too, so I'll have to go and look longingly at them